Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'll post some local ones:

Found in Vulcan, Alberta.

Vegreville Egg.

World's largest dinosaur in Drumheller. You can climb up inside itself mouth.

Torrington Gopher Hole Museum, a bunch of amusing taxidermy dioramas.

Lake Louise and Banff. "Authentic mountain culture" is a draw that doesn't actually exist there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Heh, I guess I could have gone more in depth. I go to the Tyrrell Museum several times a year, and I spend half my weekends in Kananaskis. I love those places to death.

I also work in tourism, so it's not like I hate any of it, although I am seriously disappointed by the direction Parks Canada has been forced to take now that the feds have cut all their funding.

Like this monstrosity:

The Glacier Skywalk. It was built in Jasper on the Icefields Parkway, which was world-famous for being a nearly non-developed high alpine mind-gently caress of a road. Lots of locals protested, petitioned, and worked hard to have it stopped. It closed access to a popular hiking trail by shutting down the parking area used by hikers.

At least it was built on top of a rubble pile blasted out for a roadcut over top a valley that's actually not that deep. Closest glacier is 10 kilometers away too. It's just a money-grab, and owned by an American company, so most of the revenue generated doesn't even stay in the park.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Hipster Occultist posted:

There's actually another version of this place where I grew up in British Columbia, Canada. I don't think there's any link between the two though.

http://www.enchantedforestbc.com

Hahahaha, drat, I loved that place when I was a kid! I'm going to have to go back soon.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

One of our local traps, a private reptile zoo, shut down after 142 reptiles were seized by the SPCA.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1822266/drumhellers-reptile-world-closing-after-spca-seizure/

They had to euthanize 9 reptiles plus 500 mice in the building because of how ill they were.

It's really depressing, because the place was actually really awesome back in the 90s but has been on steady decline since.

• Locked thread