Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ragequit posted:

Holy moly that's a lot of clicking though. How long did it take you to list 750 cards?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/steam-inventory-helper/cmeakgjggjdlcpncigglobpjbkabhmjl?hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Holy moly that's a lot of clicking though. How long did it take you to list 750 cards?

A couple hours while doing other things; I didn't use the extension Xander posted because I'm leery of giving anything access to inventory.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Putting in massive gem buy orders so I could turn around and buy boosters was the right thing to do when the price tanked; turned out the $10 I spent getting enough gems for 250 booster packs translated into $60 in sold cards. :stare:

I did the same the other night, but on a smaller scale. $2 -> $17. Wish I had done more, but it was impossible to get buy orders in after a while.

Kinda wishing I had waited on the cards, as the prices are climbing back up a bit, but whatever. Free money.

And I never would have bothered without this plugin. It's a drat lifesaver.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
These gems will be the death of me, hopefully one of the games I bid for will work out though.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
FYI: looks like the usual trading cards for voting in Community Choice polls and buying stuff in the sale are already on standby.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, I saw them selling at 0.25c per card earlier on. I'm going to hold off on buying them and hopefully get all the ones I need from votes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

Yeah, I saw them selling at 0.25c per card earlier on. I'm going to hold off on buying them and hopefully get all the ones I need from votes.

Yeah, if you're 1 card away from a badge, and the card is less than 20¢, you should buy and craft now. Holiday cards will never be worth more than they are right now, so you're net +money off crafting, plus you get to see how much your game's items are and maybe exploit an unknown efficiency.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

PowerBeard posted:

These gems will be the death of me, hopefully one of the games I bid for will work out though.

lol, selling your cards will get you a lot more free games than participating in the gem auctions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Games that are not in the 'good games list' that I will point out:

Betrayer - A monochrome first person game set in the earliest days of America where you explore abandoned forts and camps and talk to ghosts who have not been able to move on, finding out who they were, how they died and why they died. Most of the ghosts in this game were terrible terrible people in life!! Also there is bow & arrow combat and loot to find, if that sort of thing gets you rock hard.

Chronology - Very short platformer where you time travel as you platform in order to clear obstacles or cross impossible gaps. Wait to see if it's really cheap.

Detective Grimoire - Short but fun Phoenix Wright-style game where you investigate a murder in a swamp. Interrogate witnesses, present evidence and profiles to them to get their reactions, and solve some simple puzzles. Cute art and unique animation for every character.

Ether One - Gone Home expanded into a full fledged game. Delve into the memories of a patient with alzheimers, read all sorts of diaries and journals, and (unlike Gone Home) solve actual honest to goodness puzzles, which are entirely optional but provide extra story content and range from inventory puzzles to brainteasers. Excellent game.

FEAR - This isn't on the list what the gently caress!!! This game loving owns and is the best shooter of the mid-2000s, you turn on slow mo and blast robot men with a shotgun and watch them fly 50 feet away from you or explode into a blood cloud. This is a good-rear end game!!!

Full Bore - My puzzle GOTY for 2014. Mix Boulderdash, Sokoban and Fez together and you have Full Bore, a non-linear open world puzzle game with rooms inside of rooms inside of rooms, where you are a pig trying to collect gems and save other pigs. You will say "AHA!" a lot and feel really smart! And then you'll see another gem nearby that makes you go "WHAT THE gently caress!! How do I get to THAT one!!" You can also rewind time to undo mistakes, Pushmo-style!

Gray Matter - Point and click adventure with a unique premise as you play a con artist magician who lies her way into a job assisting a professor with his weird brain experiments and there are supernatural elements at work as well. As long as you can stomach the fact that THIS GAME HAS MAYBE TWO FUCKIN MUSIC TRACKS PERIOD (just mute the music I guess) it's pretty good. Some puzzles involve using magic tricks on people and getting the proper procedure right, which is an interesting mechanic.

Jazzpunk - A video game that's nothing but easter eggs. If you don't care for easter eggs you will wonder why you wasted your money on this game. If you are the kind of person who pokes at everything in games, this one's for you.

Knock Knock - Weird creepy game from Ice-Pick Lodge, yes THAT Ice-Pick Lodge, but this is a sidescrolling stealth game where you are trying to maintain the order of your constantly-morphing house by turning on the lights and unlocking the doors, but all the while there are monsters trying to invade your place and gently caress your brain up, forcing you to hide or stay in the shadows. The rules are sometimes not explained to you or even told incorrectly to gently caress with you (it's Ice-Pick Lodge!!!). Very strange and kooky.

Law & Order Legacies - A casual Telltale series similar to Walking Dead but without the DECISIONS THAT IMPACT THE STORY. It's more like interactive TV episodes of Law & Order, and very faithful episodes at that. I actually think this is one of Telltale's stronger series in terms of writing and direction, but nobody gives it a look because it is more in the 'casual' field with mild hidden object evidence gathering and the fact that a lot of the gameplay simply involves answering questions correctly and knowing when to object in court and why. It also has 7 episodes, so for 5 bucks it's a really good value.

Little Inferno - A commentary on mobile "timer" games, that ends up being just as addictive as said timer games. Order items from a catalog and burn them to get money to buy more items and unlock more items! Every item burns differently, has its own animation, or sound effect, or sometimes explodes, sometimes poops all over the place (you'll see what I mean). Probably the most relaxing game you'll ever play.

Nikopol - Okay so this actually isn't a good point n click adventure but I list it here because its story is absolutely loving ridiculous, maybe watch an LP of it instead of buying it, but this is about as crazy as adventure game stories get.

Resident Evil 4 HD - HELLO STRANGER. This game is a loving classic and it now runs in 60fps and modern resolutions. You'll have to get used to the controls a little, but it's fantastic and hasn't aged poorly in the slightest. Conserve that ammo!!

Shovel Knight - This wasn't on the list???? One of the best action games this year, it may evoke Megaman or Ducktales, but it doesn't play like either, and feels like a legitimate unique retro game that would have existed in the early 90s. Which most retro games don't, in the slightest. Even the "Kickstarter Hall of Fame" area is a level with enemies and a boss! The game subverts at multiple turns but does it through design rather than cheeky dialog writing. Some of the best chiptune music you'll ever hear.

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect - Love letter to the era of FMV adventure games, Tesla Effect plays like Hotel Dusk, and you explore 3d environments, interrogate witnesses, solve inventory puzzles, cheat death, and try to unravel a-- okay don't play this game because you are expecting a Hollywood story, this is pure self-aware camp at its finest with ridiculous wardrobes and makeup, intentionally bad green-screen acting, and a dorky goofball noir-obsessed protagonist.

The Cat Lady - Disturbing side-scrolling adventure game where you are a suicidal woman brought back to life and given immortality to deliver vigilante justice to all manner of horrifying human beings with terrible secrets. Strange hybrid realism-painting art style, brutal and bleak atmosphere, this is not a game you play if you want a pick me up.

The Dream Machine - A point and click adventure made entirely of clay and cardboard. You uncover a machine that is trapping people in dreams, and have to enter those dreams in order to free them. In that sense it's a little like Psychonauts in that every dream is its own unique world, mood and tone. Just without the collectathon.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Similar to Ether One, Ethan Carter expands the concept of Gone Home into a full world, although this game is also quite short (4-ish hours). You are investigating the hosed up things that happened in a seemingly cozy out of the way community, piecing together evidence and the order of events at every crime scene. One of the most beautiful-looking indie games on Steam, you will want to take screenshots in this game, constantly.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 13, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks, the list is basically from before the last Summer Sale so it misses new good releases.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Quest For Glory II posted:

Shovel Knight - This wasn't on the list???? One of the best action games this year, it may evoke Megaman or Ducktales, but it doesn't play like either, and feels like a legitimate unique retro game that would have existed in the early 90s. Which most retro games don't, in the slightest. Even the "Kickstarter Hall of Fame" area is a level with enemies and a boss! The game subverts at multiple turns but does it through design rather than cheeky dialog writing. Some of the best chiptune music you'll ever hear.

It's probably not on the list because it literally has never been on sale and I'd be surprised if it is this time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

You know, it didn't even occur to me that some people might not bother looking for a way to automate this. It was confusing the hell out of me when people in the regular Steam thread were talking about spending "hours" to make pennies. I made like 40 booster packs the night this nonsense started and I think it took like maybe ten minutes to sell all the cards individually, which ended up being worth about $25 at this point.

My only regret is not making a booster for every game I own. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, selling your cards will get you a lot more free games than participating in the gem auctions.

Yeah, I'm coming to that conclusion as well. I saw the gem thing kick off and I went, "Aha, crafted items cost the same as cards but are worth significantly more gems. Let me quickly convert spare cards to credit, then credit to crafted items, and then those into gems." I turned about fifteen cards into 1500 gems in a few minutes. Then my brain kicked in and I went, "Wait a second. I don't even know how much games are going to go for in the auctions and as time passes the price is going to escalate. And the gem crafting is pulling items out of the economy which is already putting some upward pressure on prices." And then I found out that things had been duped so now I know that there's no way that I'm going to get enough gems to actually win an auction.

I'm just going back to selling cards. Seems like it's the better option.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I really don't get why steam is so adored. Hey guys remember the great prizes we used to goad you into buying stuff you didn't even really want? Well it turns out everything we gave you was crap but you can now turn all the crap into crap nuggets to bid on other crap you're most likely not gonna win!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

how me a frog posted:

I really don't get why steam is so adored. Hey guys remember the great prizes we used to goad you into buying stuff you didn't even really want? Well it turns out everything we gave you was crap but you can now turn all the crap into crap nuggets to bid on other crap you're most likely not gonna win!

I think the great part that steam does is it doesn't force you to participate you gigantic baby.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Downs Duck posted:

Is there any point to use steam.db's Chrome Add-On? It looks like it features some/the same things as Enhanced Steam (or maybe it IS Enhanced Steam idk?).

I didn't even know that was a thing. Not sure what features it could have that you're not getting from the site. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try if going to the site is too much of a hassle.

e: After doing a bit of research it looks like the extension just adds links to steamdb on the product pages on the main steam site.

metricchip fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 13, 2014

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

kazil posted:

I think the great part that steam does is it doesn't force you to participate you gigantic baby.

No lovely bandwidth throttling ISP forces you to participate either, so I guess those are all awesome to you tremendous imbecile!

Nobody is forcing you to go to the hospital so there is clearly nothing wrong with health care! HAHAHAAHA

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

how me a frog posted:

I could just repeat the same old "if you're not interested, then don't participate", but I also think you have a point. I too, miss having fun just by playing games, or having game related activities where you could win a prize or two. By turning the hobby more and more into Day Trader Light the whole thing starts to smell reminiscent of daily strife/work/having to decide on prices going up or down/is this a good deal or not - that is, the exact everyday BS you're trying to take a break from when gaming in the first place.

Art, life, imitates - not necessarily in that order.

metricchip posted:

I didn't even know that was a thing. Not sure what features it could have that you're not getting from the site. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try if going to the site is too much of a hassle.

I just tried it out, didn't give me much over Enhanced Steam so I removed it again.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

how me a frog posted:

Put this post in the OP imo

how me a frog posted:

No lovely bandwidth throttling ISP forces you to participate either, so I guess those are all awesome to you tremendous imbecile!

Nobody is forcing you to go to the hospital so there is clearly nothing wrong with health care! HAHAHAAHA

this one too lol

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I never participate, only laugh at the loosers and feel jealous of the cash-making Steam barons.

E: lol at comparing health care with the activities on Steam, butthurt levels rising

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 13, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

how me a frog posted:

Hmm could you please elaborate more on how a dumb video game auction is related to the national health care system professor?

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
I picked Iron Fisticle up at a GMG sale a couple weeks ago. It plays like Smash TV and Rogue Legacy had a baby. The upgrade system isn't as in depth as Legacy's keep. However you unlock new weapons and power-ups regularly as you play and have to balance purchasing permanent upgrades with temporary ones to try and beat more levels to unlock stuff faster. If you've ever put a quarter in Gauntlet Legacy it'd be worth a sale purchase this winter.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

how me a frog posted:

What in the entire loving world? Please anecdote and anagram your way to my heart.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

how me a frog posted:

what the gently caress

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey go easy on how me a frog guys, Gabe ate their parents.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Accordion Man posted:

Hey go easy on how me a frog guys, Gabe ate their parents.
That would at least explain the health care comment. :psyduck:

It was an obvious troll, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the event hurts anyone for not participating. Maybe if you sit on a pile of cards but the prices for them all go down and then you can't sell them for as much? But even then that happens constantly regardless.

Now there were people who did participate who got dicked over but that's another matter.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

CrashCat posted:

That would at least explain the health care comment. :psyduck:

It was an obvious troll, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the event hurts anyone for not participating. Maybe if you sit on a pile of cards but the prices for them all go down and then you can't sell them for as much? But even then that happens constantly regardless.

Now there were people who did participate who got dicked over but that's another matter.

I think it isn't that great of an event, but it only has driven up the price of cards/emoticons. Even if you don't participate with the gems, you can still sell your extra stuff and make a few bucks to get an actual free game out of the deal or a discount on a game you want. Even if you craft a lot of gems and you don't win anything, you can still craft them into boosters and sell them. Or make badges for your games and sell the winter card, background and emoticon. Not to mention the gems carry over, so you can just hoard them for next time and get crap on the market when the prices eventually go down.

Everyone wins, really (especially steam, who make bank on market transactions). It is just that it isn't really fun or exciting. Unless you joined Steam like last week, then you are poo poo out of luck. But then again, this event isn't for new users.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
If you're willing to add more to the list, I can do gifting from the US as well. I'm also on pretty late EST. (I may or may not always remember to mark myself as online or offline, so feel free to poke me either way. If I'm around, I should respond within a minute or two.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/m2pt5/

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Games that are not in the 'good games list' that I will point out:

Betrayer - A monochrome first person game set in the earliest days of America where you explore abandoned forts and camps and talk to ghosts who have not been able to move on, finding out who they were, how they died and why they died. Most of the ghosts in this game were terrible terrible people in life!! Also there is bow & arrow combat and loot to find, if that sort of thing gets you rock hard.
I just wanna say no, this really isn't a game I would recommend to most people. The writing is pretty generic in parts, it meanders and the last couple hours are a total slog.

Also the ending is really, really bad for no reason. Why did the writer feel the need to drop a dead space level scare ending when it is already depressing and terrifying as gently caress? You're in the middle of a god forsaken, blighted wasteland with a woman you have barely any reason to trust, who might be involved with witchcraft herself or at the very least you're both traumatized to poo poo. I came out of it really disappointed after the first couple hours were so great. Also it ends up feeling a lot like, I dunno, Blood Dragon in weird ways. Or other 'open world shootmans'.

On your earlier recommendation I installed Full Bore though and I like it! You wouldn't think a boar could be so cute while still so boar-y. And yet he is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For reference on prices, market prices for junk emoticons etc. that can be turned into gems are about 0.1c/gem. So some idiot is currently bidding the equivalent of $80 for a copy of CS:GO, and you should all be happy that it's not you.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I would hope that a lot of the bids are from people that were able to get buy orders in at .03 per 1000 two nights ago. It makes a lot of those bids quite the bargain. I would hope that, but I don't doubt that a lot of them are people that are really bad at math as well.

Also - frog dude needs to post a lot more. Please stick around through the sale.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jabor posted:

For reference on prices, market prices for junk emoticons etc. that can be turned into gems are about 0.1c/gem. So some idiot is currently bidding the equivalent of $80 for a copy of CS:GO, and you should all be happy that it's not you.

Yeah, people getting the top bids on the popular/AAA stuff seem dumb as gently caress. You are more than likely not even going to win one of those, nor is it honestly even worth it to try. Find some niche/obscure stuff you like, monitor other auctions. If poo poo gets crazy, don't bother and just churn out boosters/emoticons/BGs for people desperate for gems during the auction.

EDIT:

Hahaha, this poo poo is hilarious. $90 for Borderlands: The Expansion Pack, $80+ for an early access title, $62 for Shadows of Mordor, $30 for Goat Simulator (x3 its price), $41 for Transistor, $73 for the Talos Principle...

Oh yeah, I forgot the $50 for Skyrim, a game that was literally $3 only a few weeks ago. And it has almost 6,000 bids. Holy poo poo.

Give people the illusion of 'free' and they will go ape-poo poo. Gamers really have an OCD desire to be first, don't they? This only proves to me pre-orders will never die.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 14, 2014

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tony Phillips posted:

I would hope that a lot of the bids are from people that were able to get buy orders in at .03 per 1000 two nights ago. It makes a lot of those bids quite the bargain. I would hope that, but I don't doubt that a lot of them are people that are really bad at math as well.

Also - frog dude needs to post a lot more. Please stick around through the sale.

Nah, those gems are long gone. They went poof and you got refunded. The only gems left are the ones that you make from backgrounds, emotes and cards. So if you snapped up the surplus of those yesterday you were paying 0.03 per 100 (or 80) gems. Now those backgrounds / emotes are more like 0.05/6 as the whales burn through them all.
It's not worth buying any now, I've just converted my duplicte backgrounds and emotes, found a nice quiet auction and I'll wait and see how it pans out.

So, it's probably safe to craft badges now as it's not likely there'll be extra incentives and a new meta game during the actual sale?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone else notice that you can buy and sell gems now?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jizz Festival posted:

Yeah and they are rapidly going up in price. Looks like all the auctions are going to be hosed now that the floodgates are open.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah and they are rapidly going up in price. Looks like all the auctions are going to be hosed now that the floodgates are open.

holy poo poo, they were 30¢ before the dupe, now they're creeping past 60. SELL SELL SELL

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jizz Festival posted:

Sacks? Because I've got gems I can't do anything with.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everblight posted:

holy poo poo, they were 30¢ before the dupe, now they're creeping past 60. SELL SELL SELL
Well there's also less than 1000 sacks right now, give it a few hours once it gets to maybe 5000 sacks and that might settle back down

If you bought a bunch of 4 cent backgrounds yesterday though, you're havin a fuckin party right now

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

Sacks? Because I've got gems I can't do anything with.

Yes, you can only buy/sell sacks of 1000 gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well there's also less than 1000 sacks right now, give it a few hours once it gets to maybe 5000 sacks and that might settle back down

If you bought a bunch of 4 cent backgrounds yesterday though, you're havin a fuckin party right now
Yeah, I dumped everything at 60¢, it's gonna crater (back to 30¢ or so) when I can re-up. Right now I'm still rolling in gems and in the top 50 bids on everything I want (though I gave up on Hand of Fate, :d:2000 just to play is too rich for my blood)

Meanwhile Gabe must be cackling his loving rear end off, 20% of all gem sales going right into his pocket, so people can bid on games that he got for free. Velocity is a property, and gems have it, my friends.

• Locked thread