Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I loved it, but you probably have to be a history buff to get a lot of gratification out of it. There are bit too many weird plot motivations and unsatisfying resolutions for it to be as stellar as the visual direction is. Some characters are great, with Polo, Kublai Khan and the Empress standing tall among them...but some are not. I could not have cared less about the love story between Polo and the Blue Princess (Christ, how can you even give her a second look with Khutulun hanging around? I'd get my rear end beaten by her any day), the whiny Prince became frustrating to me halfway through and Jia Sindao is a boring cartoon villain with zero redeeming traits. I'd still say it's way better written then 90% of stuff out there, but it's not as good as it could be.

Still, if you are even slightly interested in history you should watch it. I binged through it. And the sex scenes are indeed gratuitous. Plus how many historical shows are there where 99% of characters are non-white? Definitely hoping for a second season with better characterization.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Party Plane Jones posted:

Having seen some of the episodes you definitely can tell they put a huge chunk of change into amazing cinematography.

Yeah, it's honestly worth watching for that alone, it's easily one of the prettiest shows I've seen.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Snowy posted:

Sad to see the reviews for this seem to be so negative. I'm hoping the boobie quotient is high enough to make up for other flaws.

It's nowhere close to being a BAD show, just unambitious in other areas then the cinematography/Kublai. Netflix shows tend to have a lot of focus on one area. House of Cards is sub-par whenever the Underwoods aren't chewing scenes for example.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Eh, no dumber then say Spartacus in my opinion.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's seriously odd that nobody hasn't done a big-budget Genghis Khan show yet. Maybe because like every other episode would be a a massive battle, siege or sacking once they got out of the steppe :shrug:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I liked the character. He was a competent, entertaining, uniquely weird villain. He was ruling successfully only because he was holding the Mongols back over and over. Even so, everybody wanted to get rid of him but dumb luck hosed it up.

The issue is that it's hard to see how the hell he became so capable. The gap between the kid in the (needlessly, seriously creepy) flashback scene who is a useless idiot and the competent Chancellor is bizarre. Beyond, "Studied at Mantis University", there isn't much to explain his evolution. There is a lot of middle there that is completely missing and could have fleshed him out more. Might be some more flashbacks later on since his sister is still around but well, it's a little too late.

Yeah, I don't know why they included that scene? Before I just thought he was a ruthless manipulator who pimped his sister out to gain power, but how did that dweeb ever become a badass Kung Fu master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

counterfeitsaint posted:

There are people unironically mad that this show has too many white people in it,

So uh, one?

• Locked thread