Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Board games are cool. - my opinion, as someone who board games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Crackbone posted:

Vlaada still Board Game God, universe continues as planned.

Unfortunately, the universe is currently flying through an asteroid field. Hold onto your butts.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Board games are cool. - my opinion, as someone who games boards

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

McNerd posted:

What are we counting as a "good use of dice"? If it has to be especially creative then maybe. If it just has to be non-game-ruining then this is just silly. Galaxy Trucker is an excellent game not ruined by dice; King of Tokyo/King of New York are outright dice games that are perfectly fine; etc.

"That dude made a clearly hyperbolic statement"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

I think Claustrophobia made some clever use of dice, too.

Claustrophobia is in my pile of "games I like but never play and should probably get rid of but they're just a little too good".

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Q: What's a good zombie game?

A: In spite of being a massively popular theme that produces tons of huge kickstarter campaigns, City Of Horror is largely accepted among goons to be the only safe recommendation because almost every other zombie game is a boring and creatively bankrupt dicefest (Zombies!!!, Last Night On Earth, Zombicide). One notable stinker is recently released Dead Of Winter which features such innovations to the genre as a fundamentally broken traitor mechanic poorly lifted from Battlestar Galactica, and a die that has a one in twelve chance of instantly killing you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Good OP, thanks for plugging the C&D thread! Gonna respond to a couple things from the old thread.

Scyther posted:

Ludwig looks great and I can't wait to play it, but doesn't it have an entire subcategory of rooms that care about your entire tableau (the downstairs rooms I think)?

You are correct, but in a 3 player game, nobody got more than 2 of these through a combination of them not showing up and competition. They also take a bit more effort to build towards since they require stairs to get to. It's also a lot easier to realize that you get a bonus from them too, since they're all one class of building that is conveniently color coded and likely to all be next to each other.

Ravendas posted:

I have the same general opinion (wrote about it a page or two ago). I backed it, and have posted on BGG a ton about it. The game needs a lot of houserules to fix it up into something more playable.

Though, the asteroid field that crippled you can be negated with shields, so never mine or venture through them without some.

I rolled like a 2 on shields :negative:

Seriously, a range of 1-10 on random damage when even top tier ships have 14 hit points is pretty bullshit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What about online stores for the EU crowd? I know about boardgameguru.co.uk (run by a friend of mine), amazon.de, and milan spiele, can at least a couple of those or others be included?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Claustrophobia is in my pile of "games I like but never play and should probably get rid of but they're just a little too good".

This is a pretty accurate description of this game. Really wish they made a sequel with juuust a bit more meat to it.

Also, a paragraph on 99% zombie games sucking could be nice in OP, as these are blatant cash grabs for unwary board newbies.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
From the old thread:

T-Bone posted:

Can anyone recommend some fun games for competitive backstabbing jerks? I was looking at the Game of Thrones and BSG games, but Lifeboats and Goblins Inc. look fun too
Lifeboats and Intrigue are both good for making friends mad :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Outside of telling you to include all my favorite games and to remove every game I don't like, the only thing I think you should fix in the OP is adding a line to the Kemet write-up along the lines of "If you and your friends like Risk, try this." Also maybe namedrop Pandemic under either the Family section or the New To Gaming section because as little as I play it now it's still a very solid newbie game if everyone is learning together (and co-ops are really novel)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'd say recommend Forbidden Desert before pandemic. It's tighter, cheaper, and plays 5 people.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

I rolled like a 2 on shields :negative:

Seriously, a range of 1-10 on random damage when even top tier ships have 14 hit points is pretty bullshit.

Xia talk:
Our first game, a friend went to the debris field to collect stuff. This location has this roll: 1-3: DEAD, no save. 4-20: Get a purple cube to sell. First roll: 2. Dead! He had a tier2 ship, so he had to miss an entire turn.

He respawns, tries this again as a quick way to make money to make up for lost time. First roll: 2. Dead. Another turn skipped.

Respawns, decides he'll explore a bit. Blind jumps into the sun. ~Dead~

Respawns, decides to do some simpler exploration nearby, through a single tile of a debris field (once again, 1-3 dead, 4-20 safe). Rolled a 1.

That's when we decided to stop the 'die and lose a turn' mechanic, replacing it with 'respawn with slight damage and slight energy loss' on the following turn.

It's pretty much a game where you can't care about winning, because the dice, which control EVERY action in the game, can really mess you up.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'd want to put a definition of area-control games into the OP, but the only two I have experience with is El Grande and Tammany Hall. Still a good game that demonstrates the flexibility of meeples without the cold brutality of Agricola.

Ladies & Gentlemen deserves a shout out for being good at the under-served "Games for multiple couples and/or large pansexual swinger groups" versus crap like Cranium, Pictionary, et al.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

It seems odd not to mention TI3 in the 4X game list. It's generally too long to get on the table, but it is the definitive example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madmarker posted:

How can you say that when Macao and Quantum exist?

Probably he's never played them. Heck, I haven't even heard of Macao.

Also in the "good use of dice" category: Troyes, Praetor and Euphoria.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mojo Jojo posted:

It seems odd not to mention TI3 in the 4X game list. It's generally too long to get on the table, but it is the definitive example.

Never played it is why.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Madmarker posted:

How can you say that when Macao and Quantum exist?

Alien Frontiers and King's Forge also are great dice allocation games.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
bored games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Books-A-Million has a buy 1 get 50% off on all board games, online and in stores. Their online selection is weak but their stores carry some pretty robust and expensive board games. My local store had Eclipse and one of the Carcasonne big boxes when they ran a similar sale last year.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

We should all take turns talking about our favorite parts of Munchkin.

:suicide:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I'm interested in a game where me and my friends can have silly fun while drinking/having a good time, what do you recommend?
Ugg-Tect: You are all Cavemen trying to build monuments, but only one of you (the Ugg-Tect) has the plans! The Ugg-Tect must direct his fellow cavemen, but can only do so using grunts and gestures. A silly game that only becomes better when everyone is more than slightly tipsy.

FYI (in case you care) Ugg-tect seems to be out of print. it's disappeared from amazon and it's not listed on FFG's catalog anymore.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Skutter posted:

We should all take turns talking about our favorite parts of Munchkin.

:suicide:

I like how the illustrations are very similar in style to first-edition La Vallée des Mammouths.

Come to think of it, I wonder how LVdM would go over with a modern audience — that's a never-ending randomfest if there ever was one. :v:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Replace the OP with a link to http://www.shutupandsitdown.com please

Thanks

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Cash n Guns: what's the First Edition like? I played the second recently and while it was brilliant drunken fun, it felt like it was mechanically missing something. I'd love a round of negotiation, for example, where you could promise anything, but only have to follow through on immediate promises. Things like bullets, blanks, treasure, pointing your gun at someone else etc.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Countblanc posted:

Outside of telling you to include all my favorite games and to remove every game I don't like, the only thing I think you should fix in the OP is adding a line to the Kemet write-up along the lines of "If you and your friends like Risk, try this." Also maybe namedrop Pandemic under either the Family section or the New To Gaming section because as little as I play it now it's still a very solid newbie game if everyone is learning together (and co-ops are really novel)

Pandemic, Blue Moon and Kingdoms are some of my go-to "new to complicated games" games. Kingdoms is simple, uses concepts that will be familiar to people who play "classic" style board games, plays fast and is really affordable for how good it is (20-25 dollars).

Blue Moon should at least be under the best Two Player games list now that it's back in print. I could right some words, but like, the game has been out for a decade and not much hasn't been said about it; it's the elegant combination of Euro sensibility and Ameritrash CCG mechanics.

The End posted:

Alien Frontiers and King's Forge also are great dice allocation games.

And Zombie Dice isn't good, but it's probably done more for "real" board games than any other game in the past year or so considering all my non-gamer relatives play it constantly and you can buy it in Cabellas.

I also might be the only person who like the LotR dicebuilding game, it just takes loving forever to play (like 1-2 hours, seriously) and the rulebook reads like it was written by a ten year old who is trying to recall the game from memory.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Scyther posted:

Q: What's a good zombie game?

A: In spite of being a massively popular theme that produces tons of huge kickstarter campaigns, City Of Horror is largely accepted among goons to be the only safe recommendation because almost every other zombie game is a boring and creatively bankrupt dicefest (Zombies!!!, Last Night On Earth, Zombicide). One notable stinker is recently released Dead Of Winter which features such innovations to the genre as a fundamentally broken traitor mechanic poorly lifted from Battlestar Galactica, and a die that has a one in twelve chance of instantly killing you.

City of Horror isn't a safe recommendation either because it's a very political and adversarial game. I'd much, much rather play Zombicide, flawed though it is, because I prefer cooperative games or at least relatively mildly competitive games. I'm probably not alone in this preference (for coop or mild competition, I mean. I may well be alone in liking Zombicide!). Easier to just recommend steering clear of them altogether, I'd say.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The Supreme Court posted:

Replace the OP with a link to http://www.shutupandsitdown.com please

Thanks

I like SU&SD enough to back them, but they're not especially discerning. I think any review with both Paul and Quinns is worthwhile, but I usually check other reviews or this thread before I jump on a recommendation of theirs.

City of Horror is a game that I own that I don't regret owning. It is also a game that I am rarely especially excited to play. Something about the combination of luck and beat-the-leader politics mean this can be an especially frustrating experience.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Suggestion for the OP:

Yucata is a pretty good board game playing site! The design is a bit awkward, but the ranking system encourages you to step outside your comfort zone and play a bunch of games, and unlike BGA, it's really laid back about turn timing! It also doesn't paywall the cool statistics the way BGA does.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cash n Guns: what's the First Edition like? I played the second recently and while it was brilliant drunken fun, it felt like it was mechanically missing something. I'd love a round of negotiation, for example, where you could promise anything, but only have to follow through on immediate promises. Things like bullets, blanks, treasure, pointing your gun at someone else etc.

I've played 1st edition Cash n Guns a lot. You'll be disappointed to find it doesn't really have anything like that in it. I haven't played 2nd ed, but I think 1st ed is overall simpler. Hopefully I know the rules well enough to explain the differences.

There is no drafting mechanic where standing players pick treasures. Instead, for each round of eight, you are fighting over 5 random bills, valued at 5k, 10k, or 20k. Anyone who is still standing at the end (not shot or ducking) gets a cut, but it must be able to be divided evenly. (You just robbed the bank, so it's not as if you can ask them to make change.) If there are four players standing when it's two 5Ks and three 10ks, everyone gets 10. But replace one of those 5ks with a 20k, and suddenly no one gets anything, because there is no way to divide the bills evenly among 4. If there is a remainder, it stays until the next round.

The shooting phase is slightly different. You have 8 cards, but instead of 3 BANG cards, you have 2 BANGs and one BANGBANGBANG or 'Ambush' card. An Ambush works like a normal BANG card, but it resolves before any other shots. So, the turn order is: choose your shot, 321-point, 321-duck, reveal ambushes from standing players, then reveal all other cards from still-standing players. If I recall correctly, being shot by an ambush does not knock you down fast enough to keep you from taking other bullets, if you get shot more than once.

There is no 'godfather' mechanic, though there are some 'mutation' cards used in an optional mode which gives players variable powers, like being able to pick target after everyone else or having 4 HP. I don't think any mimic the godfather mechanic.

It is a whole lot simpler except in doing the division to see who gets what. It also means people who stood their ground can get nothing because what should have been a good payout is ruined because it doesn't divide by the number of players standing. That's probably not nearly as likely in 2nd ed.

I don't see the new rules making it better, but I haven't played it, so I don't know.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

First edition was awesome. Second edition is horrible in comparison.

First edition had only money in the loot, and no Godfather. All players standing at the end of the round had to evenly split the loot in the pot. If it couldn't be done, all the loot STAYED in the pot and more was added. No stupid turn order drafting bullshit, and not targeting certain players to heighten the odds of a gigantic pot in the next round was a legitimate gambit.

Also, each player had a single Bang! Bang! Bang! card. B!B!B! cards all fired simultaneously before Bang! cards were fired.

Finally, all the powers were way, way more balanced.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
C&G was pretty fun but I seem to remember a very similar auctioning/elimination game that came out around the same time about being stranded on a island that was more fun and had better mechanics.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Another suggestion for the OP - Should Archipelago go in the traitor games list? Or somewhere at least?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh hi new thread. Maybe I'll keep up with this one better than the old thread.

Finally broke out Mice and Mystics a couple weeks ago, and now my daughter (she's 8) demands Sunday night M&M games. My li'l nerd.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm likely not gonna add anything else to the OP directly, because everyone would come in with their favourite game and just ask for it to be added. The OP is pretty long as it stands, unfortunately. Of course, T&E had to be there though :smug:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedit posted:

Probably he's never played them. Heck, I haven't even heard of Macao.

Also in the "good use of dice" category: Troyes, Praetor and Euphoria.

I hate explaining jokes, so

Kiranamos posted:

"That dude made a clearly hyperbolic statement"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

malkav11 posted:

City of Horror isn't a safe recommendation either because it's a very political and adversarial game. I'd much, much rather play Zombicide, flawed though it is, because I prefer cooperative games or at least relatively mildly competitive games. I'm probably not alone in this preference (for coop or mild competition, I mean. I may well be alone in liking Zombicide!). Easier to just recommend steering clear of them altogether, I'd say.

My experience with Zombicide: on my very first turn, a combination of various bad luck meant I died on my very first turn. If we hadn't been playing with the "zombvivor" expansion, I would have been eliminated right off the bat. The game took over two hours to complete.

I think any game where you can get eliminated on the very first round, and takes that long, is not worth playing. Maybe I just got absurdly unlucky, but if it happened to me it can happen to others as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Zombicide can be an enjoyable co-operative adventure but only if no one in your group rolls too well or too poorly. It is entirely possible to breeze through a difficult scenario if you keep rolling well and finding the right weapons, and it is as possible to slam into an impossible wall early on due to bad luck. Additionally, it has one of the worst non-Vlaada rulebooks I've ever seen, without the goodness of Vlaada to counteract how bad of a thing that is.

I've never played City of Horrors but it is too bad that there aren't more good zombie games. It feels like Zombie and Cthulu both wind up being the kiss of death for new designers, even though they could easily be used well within the context of a better set of rules. (Chaos in the Old World, for example, is basically about 4 elder gods duking it out.)

It's not like there aren't games about a struggle to survive in the wilderness that zombie games could easily model themselves after, either. 'Gric has a wilderness, managing resources, and the threat of hunger. Caverna even has adventures built-in to it.

I personally would enjoy an asymmetrical 3v1 zombie game where there were three (or four or five or two) zombie factions and one hilariously bad rear end survivor. The goal for each zombie faction would be to get in each other's way and be the one to kill the player playing as Ash or the Duke or w/e, while the survivor tries to fulfill some ridiculous escape requirement.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had a great time with "Til Dawn" and "The Battle at Kemble's Cascade" last night. Til Dawn played a lot faster with more players, so I like it. (Lost by 1 point at 41; the guy exited at 42 and the next draw would've killed him).

Kemble's was OK, but I think we did an extra phase. I went from way behind to tied-for-first due to shooting all the other players with the gamma cannon; half my game points were probably from PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I don't care for City of Horror much because, for a very political game, you have very little resources with which to bargain. The central mechanics of the game are done better elsewhere. And the zombie theme is just kinda there-ish. One just has to accept that all zombie games are terrible (so play Last Night on Earth).