Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think they might mean that the board and cards have been altered so you can't replay with the same game as it is no longer fresh and untouched. You could probably not damage the board or components and make it re-playable. Or worse comes to worse realize that you played an amazing game lasting dozens of hours and at least you get some sweet new cubes to pimp out your other games for $50.

Or, you can keep playing 'normal' games of Pandemic on your custom Legacy set with all the benefits and challenges that come along with that.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my set when done, but I'm incredibly excited to start playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

foxxtrot posted:

Or, you can keep playing 'normal' games of Pandemic on your custom Legacy set with all the benefits and challenges that come along with that.

I've pointed this out. But apparently the company is horrible for not providing an easy way to reset the entire thing. No, the feeling of finality that knowing each decision is irreversible doesn't add anything to the game. But you cannot ignore everything that's written on the board and play a normal Pandemic game, either, that would be silly. And playing in the final board is verboten, apparently. You have to burn it or something. All of this was defended with the same certainty of a papal encyclical, without having ever opened the game.

And apparently, if you are ever in as situation where you're considering buying the same game again for 45€, even after having played it 20 times, with all the secrets seen, all the gimmicks exposed, just to do it all over again means that you've bought a bad game.

I'm mad about the internet.

gently caress it, I'm buying it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I think they might mean that the board and cards have been altered so you can't replay with the same game as it is no longer fresh and untouched. You could probably not damage the board or components and make it re-playable. Or worse comes to worse realize that you played an amazing game lasting dozens of hours and at least you get some sweet new cubes to pimp out your other games for $50.

Reselling is a big part of board gaming, especially since the majority of them retain good value compared to other, inferior forms of entertainment.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

Reselling is a big part of board gaming, especially since the majority of them retain good value compared to other, inferior forms of entertainment.

I triggered someone by saying I don't sleeve my cards and that maybe they should not treat their toys as if they were Goya paintings.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kiranamos posted:

Whoa, really? Every board gamer I know hoards their board games like a pile of dragon's loot - me included. I've only ever gotten rid of one board game and that was Talisman to a friend's little cousin.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

Whoa, really? Every board gamer I know hoards their board games like a pile of dragon's loot - me included. I've only ever gotten rid of one board game and that was Talisman to a friend's little cousin.
I regularly resell games because i dont have space/dont play the game enough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah. I do extensive research and playthroughs of games before I buy them, so I know my friends and I will get dozens of games in at the very least. The only one I did a blind trade for (with magic cards) was Shogun and I just lucked out on that one being amazing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I've yet to meet anybody that's played 24+ sessions with every game in their collection. People who don't want to buy P:L because of of a limited lifespan are being dumb.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Fat Samurai posted:

And apparently, if you are ever in as situation where you're considering buying the same game again for 45€, even after having played it 20 times, with all the secrets seen, all the gimmicks exposed, just to do it all over again means that you've bought a bad game.

I'm mad about the internet.

It's all right, we will always be here to let you know that you've bought a bad game. Pick a game.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I get rid of mine frequently as well, usually I can sell them for about 10-20% less than online retail prices which is pretty great, some I've even sold for more than I paid like Ora & Labora. I have between 30-40 games and I don't think I will ever want more than that at a time, not enough time to even play the ones I have. According to BGG i've sold/traded away 23 games over about 3 years and have 6 more waiting to go.

I do heavily research games before I pick them up but sometimes what I want to play and what I can get my wife/friends to play doesn't always match up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wargames are where the money is. Oh, did that ASL module just go out of print? Put it on eBay for 3x what you paid. That $90 GMT game's P500 reprint got cancelled? Sell it on Facebook for $200.

It's ridiculous really, but what's more ridiculous is that people pay it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crackbone posted:

I've yet to meet anybody that's played 24+ sessions with every game in their collection. People who don't want to buy P:L because of of a limited lifespan are being dumb.

Hi, hello. I only have ~15 games. It's v doable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

COOL CORN posted:

Wargames are where the money is. Oh, did that ASL module just go out of print? Put it on eBay for 3x what you paid. That $90 GMT game's P500 reprint got cancelled? Sell it on Facebook for $200.

It's ridiculous really, but what's more ridiculous is that people pay it.

Yeah see I'd get in on that except with magic it's a lot more portable and the profit margins are a lot higher (cuz we are incredibly dumb).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Asking wargamers if they have 24+ games is kind of funny. We are lucky if we get 1+ game :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Board Game Thread - cuz we are incredibly dumb

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Asking wargamers if they have 24+ games is kind of funny. We are lucky if we get 1+ game :v:

At this point I basically just collect shelf ornaments.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looking forward to getting Orleans and playing nothing but for 2 months so we can get the necessary couple dozen games in.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fat Samurai posted:

A friend of mine is going to Carcassone tomorrow.

She didn't get the joke. :(

Tell her to lie down in a field.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't understand people getting wriled about pandemic legacy not being infinitely replayable. You should know going in that your $70 board game purchase is only good for 12-24 games. The point of the game is the discovery and anticipation of the secrets, and of course the secrets are finite. You are looking at 18-36 hours of a unique and memorable gaming experience for less than $20 a person. That's the product, and it fulfills its purpose extremely well IMO.

If you don't like that concept then buy regular pandemic for $30 and play it 200 times until you are old and gray. It has the same quarterbacking issues as vanilla pandemic, but if you can control your group so everyone has an input, it is a very good cooperative game.

The permanence does add a lot, in my opinion. The 'you can not go back' mentality adds a lot more weight and importance to the various decisions of the game. In some cases, it adds an emotional impact to the game unseen elsewhere.

I personally would rather have a great disposable game that people will play and create lasting memories with than a 'permanent' game I gotta twist arms to play, all gameplay criticisms being equal. SU&SD has some bad opinions, but I agree with them on their idea that all board games are inherently disposable. A game without a few bent cards, a ripped box and some missing tokens is a game that hasn't been played, and a game's purpose is to be played. Some people need to get over that their games are immortal treasures.

Opinion on Pandemic Legacy: if you are okay with Pandemic, you can have a consistent group to play with, and you accept the concept, it has the potential to be the most memorable board gaming experiences you'll ever have. If you really don't like the idea of physically tearing up a card and writing on your board as a way to give weight to your decisions, you already know you'll dislike the game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Chill la Chill posted:

Once you start you'll never go back.

In terms of Legacy gaming, I've got really high hopes for Gloomhaven. Really high hopes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

sector_corrector posted:

Tell her to lie down in a field.

But watch out for the dragon

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Remind me to post a picture of my X-Wing collection.

So pretty and new and shiny.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

But watch out for the dragon

Also the catapult!

EBag
May 18, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Once you start you'll never go back.

In terms of Legacy gaming, I've got really high hopes for Gloomhaven. Really high hopes.

Me too, everything I've seen from it so far has looked really awesome. The only thing I'm unsure of is the quality of the story and writing, the game play looks really solid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

COOL CORN posted:

Good grief, it's $48 on CSI.

Oh, looks like MSRP is $69.99

I'm one of those guys who buys MSRP a lot because my FLGS is actually pretty decent...clean, lots of table space, good snacks, and next door to a nice cafe that'll bring your orders over to the game store itself, an owner who isn't a smelly rear end in a top hat...so while I'm not evangelical about it and still buy some stuff online, I like to support the place when I can.

I agree that the people freaking out about Pandemic: Legacy being "disposable" are being dumb. The permanence aspect really does add something to the game that you don't get with other board games, and the price tag isn't unreasonable considering the overall quality and quantity of components involved, as well as the suggested playtime. I'm pretty sure that I haven't played 24 games of Kemet yet despite it being a favorite of mine, I know for sure I haven't even played a dozen games of Argent, so if I can squeeze between 12-24 games of Pandemic: Legacy out of a single purchase and wind up with a memorable artifact of our campaign at the end of it then that's money well spent.

Also it is incredibly viscerally satisfying to play a game where you scribble on stuff and rip cards up to the horror of your friends after many years of being one of those people who used to obsess over keeping games in pristine condition until I finally broke myself of that habit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
2 week review necroposts:

Tekopo posted:

It's a joke, don't worry: he wrote a whole rant about how that game was one of the worst deck builders he ever played, which I find hard to believe since the DC deck builder exists.

the rant was written pre-dc deckbuilding game. it's still pretty bad tho

Bottom Liner posted:

Black people love anime. Checkmate nerds.

trufax

Bottom Liner posted:

Has anyone played Codenames with Dixit cards yet? How about Mysterium cards? Also, how good is Mysterium?

i've done codenames with dixit cards. it's okay. it's actually way easier than you think it is, to the point where it's almost too easy.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

What if you did codenames with dixit cards but you had to draw the clue like with pictionary?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Machai posted:

What if you did codenames with dixit cards but you had to draw the clue like with pictionary?

that sounds awesome in theory, time-consuming in theory, but ultimately doesn't fix the issue of dixit cards having a great many elements on them by design which makes it easy to chain multiple cards together using trivial, exclusive clues.

the same surreal art direction that drives dixit as a game (using your cards to intercept clues spoken by other players) makes making codenames clues for groups of dixit cards stupid easy.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

My dirty wargame secret is that I won't buy a 2p game anymore. I have literally one person who will play them with me and it will always be more convenient for us to play over Vassal. I keep up on Combat Commander stuff but that's about it. I guess it's kind of lovely for the companies but I have very little money to spend on boardgames and I'd rather put it towards my obsession with economic games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

that sounds awesome in theory, time-consuming in theory, but ultimately doesn't fix the issue of dixit cards having a great many elements on them by design which makes it easy to chain multiple cards together using trivial, exclusive clues.

the same surreal art direction that drives dixit as a game (using your cards to intercept clues spoken by other players) makes making codenames clues for groups of dixit cards stupid easy.

What criteria did you use for valid clues? Seems like a lot of clues would be the equivalent of "b:3" [the three words that start with the letter b] unless some literal visual components of the cards were determined invalid

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

Here's a batshit idea: Instead of saying a clue aloud, you have to search the deck of unused Dixit cards and pick one of said cards to be your clue.

Alternately, the agents are Dixit cards, the clues are Mysterium cards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gutter Owl posted:

Here's a batshit idea: Instead of saying a clue aloud, you have to search the deck of unused Dixit cards and pick one of said cards to be your clue.

gently caress. This is the sort of madness I'm tempted to try.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's what I assumed people meant when they said play Codenames with Dixit cards :confused:

But I've never played Dixit, I just know/think it's kind of like Apples to Apples with slightly abstract picture cards instead.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Mister Sinewave posted:

That's what I assumed people meant when they said play Codenames with Dixit cards :confused:

But I've never played Dixit, I just know/think it's kind of like Apples to Apples with slightly abstract picture cards instead.

No, they meant using Dixit cards as agents in the 5x5 grid. I'm suggesting using them both as agents *and* as spymaster clues.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Has anyone tried using unopened boosters of magic cards as the names for a game of codenames?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Impermanent posted:

Has anyone tried using unopened boosters of magic cards as the names for a game of codenames?

Suddenly paying $40-50 to the resellers while waiting for a reprint starts looking cheap.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why stop there? Shuffle in random DVDs or video games. Hell, get a giant table and place twenty-five board games on it for your agents.

Then make a game of Codenames with the agents being twenty-five variants of Codenames.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I think there is enough munchkin to use 25 copies.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sloober posted:

I think there is enough munchkin to use 25 copies.

Trash: 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Trash: 25.

No you would lose one of that is a very special trash-sassin.