Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I got to play Temporum tonight. Played it twice, and I won both times. First 5 player, then 4 player.

This game is weird. It's a resource management game... except it's not. It's also an area control game... except it's not.

A thing that struck me as odd is that you only need 30 "points" to win. When you're scoring between 4~8 points every time you score, that's not nearly as many turns as you think you might get. The game seems to have all the moving parts of a much longer or complex game, yet it's short and simple. I think I might be in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

I got to play Temporum tonight. Played it twice, and I won both times. First 5 player, then 4 player.

This game is weird. It's a resource management game... except it's not. It's also an area control game... except it's not.

A thing that struck me as odd is that you only need 30 "points" to win. When you're scoring between 4~8 points every time you score, that's not nearly as many turns as you think you might get. The game seems to have all the moving parts of a much longer or complex game, yet it's short and simple. I think I might be in love.

Yeah, I played half of a game with my roommate (waiting for him to get back to finish the other half) and weird's like the only word for it. I think it's a good game, but it's definitely a cool game.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Scyther posted:

...I'd start with whatever Theater/Front pack appeals the most to you, then add one of the others, then get either the third one or get the Terrain Pack if you want to make your own scenarios or download scenarios from the website. After that, MAYBE look into the equipment pack.

Big ups Scyther, thanks, Eastern Front it is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Temporum. Like, yeah.

I have played 7 games at this point: four 3-player, two 4-player and one 5-player. I've played with the same 5 people, just that some of them weren't always there, and these are all people I have played Dominion regularly with. Only two of us have won 2 games, and everyone else has won one each. I have no drat idea how to judge this, if our Dominion experience factors into this, or if it is all just luck. I really want to start logging our games to see if the different playstyles we each tend to favor in Dominion have carried over into Temporum - like our "engine" guy being better at building complex combos or the "attack" guy doing better in games with attack zones or whatever.

It is a blast at this point and I hope it has the legs that Dominion has. I am glad that people seem to be buying it because I really want to see the eventual expansion or 2.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Temporum. Like, yeah.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a similar-but-better Scattergories, or is it good enough?

begedin
Jul 28, 2013
Arcanum is getting some serius discount on https://milan-spiele.de (€35 to €5), but I can't find any decent information about it.

From what I can tell, it's a bluffing card game, but there's also a board.

Can anyone provide any first-hand experience? Is it worth the money/time?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Big McHuge posted:

So this week I've decided to take on a challenge. Recently, I had a chance to play the X-Wing miniatures game. I was a bit underwhelmed, and I couldn't exactly describe why. For some reason it just didn't have that certain something that I was looking for. I'm not willing to dismiss it outright, since a friend was teaching he gave me a predetermined group of ships and pilots and I think that some of the fun of the game is constructing that sort of stuff on your own.

In what would seem like completely unrelated news, some friends of mine ended up with 3 copies of the new D&D Attack Wing game for the holidays. They're going to return one copy and keep the other two, and they also have a very nice selection of the ground units and expansion packs. I was watching them play last week and it looked alright, but then it hit me.

TIE FIGHTERS VS DRAGONS

I mean, why *wouldn't* you try to combine these things? So, I'm going to borrow spare copies of both rulebooks and attempt to figure out a way to mesh the two games.

You're going to have some issues. The armor stat and spells in Attack Wing make for some pretty difficult interactions with the X-Wing mechanics, unfortunately. At least, this is what I've gathered from making fun of a couple of friends for giving WizKids money again after getting burnt on the Star Trek game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Recently, I finally got to play One Night Ultimate Werewolf with most of my regular crew. I've had the game for a while and even played it a bunch, but I hadn't yet played it with my regular Avalon gang.

I like it even less, now.

I didn't like the game much, before. The night round is too long and too messy, the day round can be easily solved if the players have more than 2 minutes to discuss it, and it's trivial to stumble upon bad character combinations. The real issue I just discovered, though, is that the game has The Werewolf Problem where the lynch target can sometimes be arbitrary and it makes deduction pointless. Obviously, it's not like Werewolf where you get shot on Day 1 because you have a beard or you're not in the right clique, but the concept of "we're going to kill [Broken Loose] because he's too good of a liar in these games" is a very real thing that exists. I can't argue that logic, and we'd have to get into a deterministic action chain where the game revolved around a single player to assure the group's trust in a game. Even the concept that I'd have teammates covering for me is overridden by the informed in any given situation being outnumbered (whether it's a Seer vouching for my humanity or a fellow wolf saving my bacon). Compound this with the "sometimes everybody has to live" deal with all the wolves in the center row, and the game can be easily thrown by one jittery person with trust issues who votes something other than their neighbor.

The game's primary competition gets around this by not revolving around a lynching mechanism and by providing a multitude of emergent ways for players to obtain information and trust over the course of a game. Yes, Resistance+ takes 2-3 times as long as ONUW, but I'd rather play 1 game of R+ than 3 games of ONUW.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I just ordered Kemet. drat this thread.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Any UK people been to the Draughts cafe yet? Thinking of going over the festive period, and I've checked when its open, but interested in knowing if there's a need to get there early or any thoughts to what it is like.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Guess what just arrived!

BioTech posted:

drat this thread.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

Guess what just arrived!

Hah, mine just arrived last night as well. All I need is Dungeon Lords anniversary edition to show up now.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BioTech posted:

I just ordered Kemet. drat this thread.

One of us.One of Us.

Guess what just arrived!

One of Us.One of Us.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Has anyone here tried the Kemet expansion? I got a call after ordering that they could throw it in at a discount, but there is hardly any information available.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BioTech posted:

Has anyone here tried the Kemet expansion? I got a call after ordering that they could throw it in at a discount, but there is hardly any information available.

Which one, Ta-Seti, or the crossover with Cyclades?

As far as I know Ta-Seti isn't out yet. I will be snapping it up as soon as it comes out. A fourth pyramid color, :getin:

Insofar as the crossover expansion with Cyclades, I don't own Cyclades, so I haven't purchased it, but it seems interesting. Especially the Kraken giving combat boosts in locations next to the water and Cerberus blocking certain locations for a turn.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

I'm pretty sure the guy meant Ta-Seti, originally he said it was Kemet 2 and not released yet.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Does it even have a set release date? They had planned to show off sine stuff at Gencon (I think), but it wasn't ready to show at that point.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BioTech posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy meant Ta-Seti, originally he said it was Kemet 2 and not released yet.

Wait, where were you ordering this from? Because as Supreme Court mentioned, there isn't even an official release date yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Does it even have a set release date? They had planned to show off sine stuff at Gencon (I think), but it wasn't ready to show at that point.

It wasn't even ready at Essen. Ta-Seti is due in Q1 2015, anyone saying they have it now is lying or mistaken.

E: Arnaud says they're now shooting for a release at GenCon next year.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 16, 2014

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Wait, where were you ordering this from? Because as Supreme Court mentioned, there isn't even an official release date yet.

I'm in Europe. I only found Kemet in one local store, but it was 70+ Euro. Searched online and found just one website that even sold Kemet in my country, but it was out of stock. Wrote the regular site where I order about it and they called their supplier, who confirmed they can deliver next week and asked if I wanted the expansion with it. So they called me back to say they are going to order some stock, notify me when it gets in and is added to the website so I can place my order.

They did mention it is a very small release. It sounded to me like he could get both, but maybe we just misunderstood each other.

I wouldn't buy the expansion anyway without trying the main game first.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

Any UK people been to the Draughts cafe yet? Thinking of going over the festive period, and I've checked when its open, but interested in knowing if there's a need to get there early or any thoughts to what it is like.

I haven't yet, but I'm probably going to. I seem to remember Tekopo mentioning in the last thread it wasn't all that good but I don't remember if that was from experience or a review.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Aston posted:

I haven't yet, but I'm probably going to. I seem to remember Tekopo mentioning in the last thread it wasn't all that good but I don't remember if that was from experience or a review.
I haven't tried it myself, but it was commented within my meetup group and the overall consensus was 'why go to a board game cafe that's kind of out of the way when you can play at the meetup for free?'

I guess it is good if you are a dirty student and don't have to work on weekdays, but for professionals it's really not that appealing, especially since there is a free alternative.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Mmmm, well I'll probably end up going on Sunday anyway. Would be interesting to see what the problem was, as part of the draw for me is the access to the library of games, and if I get the chance to try some games I've heard of with my friend, I can overlook a crappy venue.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I can see why an established board games group with the games available between them may not be fussed about it. I guess we could look into attending the meetup but feels a bit weird going and asking strangers to try their games, whereas an open library sorts that out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

I can see why an established board games group with the games available between them may not be fussed about it. I guess we could look into attending the meetup but feels a bit weird going and asking strangers to try their games, whereas an open library sorts that out.
Well, in the meetups you just a pile of games and pick what you want to play. Or you can ask someone to bring something specific. Never really had an issue with that really. It might be different if you have a group of friends though rather than going by yourself.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Real talk about Betrayal at House on the Hill:

It is a given that the game is completely unbalanced and busted, with often not totally clear rules in its scenarios, so my favorite way to play is by completely busting the game over my knee.

House rule: Double Traitors.
After the Haunt begins, reset the number of Omens that you roll against to zero (existing omens still remain in play.) Continue making Haunt rolls as new Omens are revealed, adding to the new total. It is now possible to start a second scenario, with an additional traitor or having the current traitor become a majestic Double Traitor. At this point it is unlikely that anybody will survive long enough to reveal a third traitor.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Real talk about Betrayal at House on the Hill:

It is a given that the game is completely unbalanced and busted, with often not totally clear rules in its scenarios, so my favorite way to play is by completely busting the game over my knee.

House rule: Double Traitors.
After the Haunt begins, reset the number of Omens that you roll against to zero (existing omens still remain in play.) Continue making Haunt rolls as new Omens are revealed, adding to the new total. It is now possible to start a second scenario, with an additional traitor or having the current traitor become a majestic Double Traitor. At this point it is unlikely that anybody will survive long enough to reveal a third traitor.

It's a given that Monopoly is a bad game, so I play with two sets of property cards, and each property can be purchased twice. Somebody can be both the property owner and have to pay rent when landing on a space! Just waiting for the chance to become the majestic Double Landlord of Boardwalk. I call this version WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYBODY DO THIS, IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Tekopo posted:

Guess what Vlaada -related kickstarter stuff I just got in the mail? :q:

Good news: my copy's arriving today! Bad news: no one is there to pick it up for 3 days :( Its going to be taunting me from the postoffice. Stupid job and life taking me away from boardgaming.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

homullus posted:

It's a given that Monopoly is a bad game, so I play with two sets of property cards, and each property can be purchased twice. Somebody can be both the property owner and have to pay rent when landing on a space! Just waiting for the chance to become the majestic Double Landlord of Boardwalk. I call this version WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYBODY DO THIS, IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

It could be worse, he could be playing Munchkin against Humanity.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

homullus posted:

Still better than the apparently-almost-universal house rules of "no auctions" and "you get money when you land on Free Parking".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jabor posted:

Still better than the apparently-almost-universal house rules of "no auctions" and "you get money when you land on Free Parking".

Double properties would be worse than Free Parking Money -- cash would end up in trailing players' hands far more often, prolonging the game far more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

I guess it is good if you are a dirty student and don't have to work on weekdays, but for professionals it's really not that appealing, especially since there is a free alternative.

I don't get how you figured this out. The website says they're closed on weekdays and open in the evenings, which is basically the opposite of what you describe.

The free alternative I'm with you on, mind.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Need a gift recommendation for a coworker: ideas for games he can play with his 6 and 10 year old sons. He already has Ticket to Ride and Small World, but complains that TtR is too slow. They started playing a variant where first to complete three tickets wins. I was thinking maybe Forbidden Desert, but maybe there's too much QBing (he's complained about that before).

He mentioned that they play Monopoly Jr. together, and this cannot stand. (The boys at least made up some rules for attacking properties you land on to spice things up, so on some level they understand it sucks.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit posted:

I don't get how you figured this out. The website says they're closed on weekdays and open in the evenings, which is basically the opposite of what you describe.

The free alternative I'm with you on, mind.
I hadn't realised they weren't open on weekdays to be honest. But yeah, it's beyond the point: when the choice is a free venue in the center of London or a venue that you have to pay for that isn't close to a tube station, there isn't really much choice involved.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PerniciousKnid posted:

He already has Ticket to Ride and Small World, but complains that TtR is too slow. They started playing a variant where first to complete three tickets wins.

So, the player who draws the shortest routes at the beginning of the game automatically wins?

That is an example of bad parenting right there.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

So, the player who draws the shortest routes at the beginning of the game automatically wins?

That is an example of bad parenting right there.

I think he said something about whoever completes tickets worth the most points is the second winner? Maybe the sons are the rule-creators.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Need a gift recommendation for a coworker: ideas for games he can play with his 6 and 10 year old sons. He already has Ticket to Ride and Small World, but complains that TtR is too slow. They started playing a variant where first to complete three tickets wins. I was thinking maybe Forbidden Desert, but maybe there's too much QBing (he's complained about that before).

He mentioned that they play Monopoly Jr. together, and this cannot stand. (The boys at least made up some rules for attacking properties you land on to spice things up, so on some level they understand it sucks.)

King of Tokyo/New York?

Hard to find a 10-year old that doesn't like big monsters and smashing stuff, though it might be a little too complicated for the 6-year old.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think he said something about whoever completes tickets worth the most points is the second winner? Maybe the sons are the rule-creators.

This just makes it worse.

It is now your mission to pick up the slack for your co-workers lack of parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

I hadn't realised they weren't open on weekdays to be honest. But yeah, it's beyond the point: when the choice is a free venue in the center of London or a venue that you have to pay for that isn't close to a tube station, there isn't really much choice involved.

I've just had a look at their selection on their website: 10 different versions of Munchkin and no Space Alert.