Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Classic Zaphod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Zaphod maybe he jumped to conclusions but it seems to me people sure jump to conclusions an awful lot when your posting is involved. Crazy coincidence.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clockwork Gadget posted:

he told me in a PM regarding Archipelago that some cultures are better than others, and if misrepresented/underrepresented/marginalized cultures want better representation, maybe they should take notes from better (i.e., white) cultures.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I heard that when Rutibex plays Archipelago he has the song Civilization (also known as Bingo, Bango, Bongo) on loop in the background.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Recently my group of friends started getting into board games and having a game night. Along the way we've come up with some little tweaks we feel make some games more fun.

Deluxe weed is a game where you have five spots infront of you that you want to fill with weed. Which can suck if your hand is all low numbers. So we agreed you could stack one's onto the same space.

For clue we thought the dice were pointless and just took up time, so now you can just go to whatever room you want to when it's your turn.

Exploding kittens is a drawing game where a certain number of cards (the exploding kittens) according to players will eliminate you from the game. The rest of the deck is built to avoid that happening to you. We always play with max danger cards regardless if how many players we have.

I'm not sure if it is actually against the rules, but when my group plays Dead of Winter we are pretty upfront and honest with each other about our secret objectives without actually stating them. Like, "Hey, I'll play some food cards if someone can just give me all of their junk cards and I can't say why."

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 15, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OgreNoah posted:

Thoughts on Twilight Imperium? My thoughts are too long, terribly disappointing ending every single time.

Twilight Imperium rocks as long as you enjoy lengthy, in-depth experiences. Also in my experience it actually gets much more intense and gripping near the end as people jockey to make their winning plays.

What kind of endings have you had that you thought were disappointing?

*BIG NOTE* This assumes some expansions stuff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Video gamers are usually the easiest converts to board gaming for probably obvious reasons.

I took two guys who had never played a real board game before but had video game experience and just dumped em straight into Twilight Imperium as their first game and they did fine.

Although this may just apply to strategy gamers, which is something both of them were.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Everyone say Kemet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A while ago I was looking at Star Wars: Rebellion but didn't pull the trigger. I just happened to notice today that it's some crazy high rank on BGG like #5. Is it actually that good or is it there just because it's Star Wars?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FulsomFrank posted:

I got to play my first ever game of Twilight Imperium III with the Shattered Empire expansion. We played with a preconstructed galaxy and 5p. I had a great time even though I was profoundly hungover and didn't really understand what I was doing. For a game that last six and a half hours it really just flew by. The only parts that dragged were people forgetting who's turn it was and minutes ticking by while everyone was absorbed in their own plans without noticing that no one had taken a turn. Thankfully we had a veteran that was doing a good job refereeing and guiding us all along. I got demolished points-wise but had quite the fleet making it's way across the universe.

"Huge fleets, low points" is the quintessential TI3 noobie experience so you were right on track.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Obviously Talisman.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'll disagree about the path being needless. Kemet eventually becomes a predictable waiting game where people try not to leave their city until the last moment.

Tying limited availability upgrades to the move action gives incentive to moving before your opponents, which is a huge shakeup in strategy. People move out of their cities earlier, which means more targets for attacks and quicker games.

This is such bizarre commentary to me. I've never played a game of Kemet where anyone displayed a tendency to turtle without losing badly. Normally all the temples are occupied by the end of the first day and people are fighting by that time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KPC_Mammon posted:

Really? People don't wait on moving until their last 2 actions?

Why would people move to temples before buying new powers?

1st move - Occupy empty Temple
2nd move - Buy +1 defense tile
3rd move - Occupy empty Temple (if still available)
4th/5th move - upgrades or whatever

Switch 1st and 2nd move if anyone buys a +1 defense before you on move 1.

After 3rd move everyone else now has the option of either assaulting your +1 defense (where you win on ties) or taking the easy road and grabbing an empty temple. Even once temples are full you are still not an appealing target and can often score a Day 1 VP for having two temples if everyone else waits until move 4/5 to attack anywhere.

The main driving force to get people moving is that everyone knows you do not want to be left with no temples at the end of the day phase, and the "defender wins on ties" makes it unappealing to have to chance the possession of a temple on a battle. And in the very beginning it's more important to kickstart your economy than (possibly) score that singular VP imo.

I'm sure a lot of it group meta but that is how it works for us. It probably helps that my group seems to big fans of the "lighting strike" thing where you warp in, beat up some army for a point, and then just recall instead of hold the field.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are you playing low player count games?

With 5 players there is no way you can justify waiting on buying powers in order to take a temple you have no way of holding earlier in the turn.

Moving earlier also means you give up your ability to react when necessary.

Always 4-5 players.

Just different strategies mang!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KPC_Mammon posted:

I like the path because it transformed my group's meta to be more like yours!

Awesome! :cheerdoge:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cross posting from the r/relationships thread in GBS.

Trigger Warning: Existential Terror

quote:

How do I [15m] Explain to my Parents That The Way They Play Board Games Makes it Really Tense and Unfun for Me?

My parents are terrible at board games, but for better or for worse they always want to play them. My mother is not at all good at interpreting the rules, and is an apalling loser. My father won't ever do anything that impacts her negatively in a competitive board game because he's walking the drat tightrope of her going ultra passive-aggressive on everyone for the rest of the evening. This invariably results in one of three outcomes depending on the nature of the game.

In games with no capability for teaming, me or my father wins and my incessantly complains about everything.
My parents unofficially team up because my dad doesn't want to set her off by interrupting her plans. I lose overwhelmingly because I try to stop my mother winning and they 2v1 me, usually resulting in my mum winning.
We never finish the game because it turns out that mum has been playing the game wrong for the last half an hour.

Yet if I say I don't want to play when she asks, I'll recieve this huge lecture about spending so much time on the computer that I don't want to do anything else. And then she'll ban me from screens and ban me from going out for the rest of the evening so I'm forced to read or brave a loving game with her.

I absolutely do not look forward to these sessions. She will not co-operate with anybody in anything that benefits them in the slightest, but if that is used against her then she complains that everyone is teaming up against her. Yet when I try to offer deals, she invariably responds 'why should I do something that only helps you and puts you further in the lead passive aggressive laugh' so I stopped trying.

This is really rambly, because I'm kinda pissed off after getting out of a five hour game of Star Trek: Ascendancy where mum won because my dad spent the entire game trading with her while spending all his resources eliminating me from the game.

tl;dr: Mum always insists on playing board games, proceeds to be a horrible sport. How do I approach her in a non-confrontational way?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Any board gamer thoughts on "digital board game" Armello on Steam?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Between "I can't win, I will attack whoever is in 1st place" or "I can't win, I will attack whoever will net me the most points/benefit" I really can't fault a person for going with either. Both are legitimate. Asking them to just shut down and no longer affect the game space just because they can't win is not reasonable in my opinion. And that's ignoring that fact that it is very common for players to think that another player (or themselves) can't win when they absolutely still can. There is also the moral grey option of "I can't win, I will pursue a vendetta against whoever knocked me out of the running".

The only king making move that I think is illegitimate taking an (optional) action that ends the game while the person who initiated it is not in first place. An example would be someone with a low score in Twilight Imperium taking Bureaucracy and popping Imperium Rex just to end things. You should not voluntary end the game or initiate it's imminent end when you cannot be victor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I do not believe that "emptying a stack in Dominion" and "popping Imperium Rex when you are the loser" are remotely comparable. The former is an expected Game End condition that also increases the score of the person executing the action. The latter completely breaks the intended flow of the game and yields no points to the person executing the action.

e: this is not a response to the above post.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 4, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

No-one likes 7 wonders because they don't 'get' how to win and we've played it 4-5 times.

lmao

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jabor posted:

Yeah, 6 people is at the point where I'd do a light party-ish game (Sushi Go is great) to start and then split into a couple of groups.

Love me some 6 player Keyflower though. But people who don't like the aggressive plays in Carcassonne probably won't see the appeal.

Yeah I'd say that if they can't handle 7 Wonders then Keyflower is out of the question.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yeah I'm stuck on this one. I feel like I could only recommend something they like if it's something I hate.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

I'm not poo poo talking, I'm simply saying exactly what you said; that she didn't understand the game, with the possible addition of not actually caring because of the thing we've discussed in this thread a bunch where people simply shut down when they decide for themselves that something isn't For Them. That person clearly did not understand the rules of the game since a person cannot ever play a Fail card and be a Resistance member. Or, perhaps more generously and significantly less likely, assumed you were cheating and had played a "Fail" card when you weren't allowed to and wanted to give you a second chance to reestablish your pedagogical authority in the eyes of her peers.

:agreed:

I realized the same thing immediately upon reading his post. If he didn't immediately point out that person's error after the game then that's pretty loving bad form as a teacher because they obviously didn't understand the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Basically anytime someone reports "several first timers played a coop and kept winning easily" you can basically guarantee they got some rule(s) wrong.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm not too picky about this stuff usually, but do you think we could port over the pandemic legacy stuff into the quarantine thread? I like to go in blind, even for strategy stuff

There has not been a single post about strategy or content. Literally zero. If anything "rules people hosed up" and "can we test game before committing" are like the two things that you would benefit from reading.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Being a skeleton is a key component of being a lich. Zombies don't cut it.

There are some aspects of lichdom I can over look. Like maybe your lich doesn't have a scepter. Or perhaps it is clad in armor. Not ideal, but acceptable. But it MUST. BE. A. SKELETON.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Anyone want to trade for wood?"

- A person who has wood

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Sits down to game of Catan and brings significant other*

*Assigns 0% of robbers to significant other*

*Conducts 100% of beneficial trade with significant other*

*Believes this to be cool and good*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Anyone have brick they can trade me??? Nobody? Ok."

*Next roll produces no brick. Active player offers wheat in exchange for wood*

"I'll give you the wood for brick instead! No I don't want wheat. Do you have brick?"

*Next roll also produces no brick*

"Anybody have brick? I have wood!

*Table has gone full circle, a 7 is rolled*

"Ok which of you has brick???"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FulsomFrank posted:

I thought it was a bit scummy though to open the game and have the manual explicitly state that I shouldn't pay attention to some extra symbols because those are for paid DLC, I mean the expansion, as well as the reverse, giant side missing the section that you need to buy separately to make it complete.

lol thanks for telling me about this so I can never buy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The person who wins war is the person who slides into 6 victories with like two military strength while their neighbors all furiously steal greens from each other.