Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

If you're playing Sushi Go Party at high player counts, give this menu a try. It went over really well in 2 different groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

ShaneB posted:

No Miso Soup. Immediately terrible. Sorry.

Argh I know! I was down to Miso or Eel and went Eel for the "risk" card. I like passing it to someone who has none on the last card because I'm a huge jerk. I'll probably try to swap in Miso on the next go to see how it fares with this menu.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Are these Tiny Epic (whatever) games good and/or fun?

I can say that I played Tiny Epic Quest once and immediately traded it. The "quests" were all essentially the same dice chucking pip collection and despite ostensibly having a press your luck element, I don't think anyone failed to complete a quest. The rules were fiddly and set up was a chore.

It played a bit similar to Istanbul but not good and twice as long.

I guess what I'm saying is get Istanbul.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Could be Oriflamme. It's amusing how many possible games fit into a pretty specific theme/type considering what the answer to that question would have looked like 10 years ago.

Speaking of Oriflamme, it's been my online group's most consistently played game the past couple months. The board game arena implementation is very nice and it's just a terrifically tight and well-balanced game. It packs a lot of strategic thinking into a quick 10-15 minute playtime and gets cutthroat savage once you've learned the ropes.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of go bags, what does everyone have in their travel gaming kits? Tis the season to refine them.

Mine is an old case for projector slides with:
Arboretum
Falling (inside the arboretum box)
Wits and Wagers
Maskmen
Shipwreck Arcana
Oriflamme (using the chips from wits and wagers)
Monopoly Deal

I'm probably going to swap out Monopoly Deal because it hasn't been as popular as I thought it would be with my family. They usually want to play Wits and Wagers. I've turned a lot of people on to Jaipur, so that will probably take the slot.

Codenames is getting long in the tooth, so I might replace it with Decrypto. Long term, I want to change out the whiteboards and markers from Wits and Wagers so they can also be used to play Telestrations and A Fake Artist Goes to New York.

I'm missing a legit "board game" in the box, but I haven't found something that will fit, I like and can teach quickly. I also don't have an agility game.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

depending on your definition of legit, stuff from my collection providing outsized gameplay to containment size:

Intrigue (super mean)
Fleet
Mini Rails
Oh My Goods
Modern Art

Oh, Modern Art would be a great fit. I bet I could dump the blue chips from Wits and Wagers and use the Modern Art money.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Looking into options for securing the decks, and it honestly might just be sandwich bags - Which would act as cushioning as well.

If you use deck cases, I bet you can store the card-based games vertically. That would open up some extra space.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Jumping in on the Arnak discussion as someone who really enjoys it. I think it's fair to say that the game misrepresents itself as having multiple paths to victory when it's really more that you have to do all things to varying levels. It feels quite like Viticulture in that regard. You need to participate in most aspects of the game economy in order to post a respectable score.

I like that it plays extremely tight with resource management by limiting you to two 'workers' for the whole game. Outside of some specific cards, that means you only place 10 workers over the course of five rounds, so you need to focus on how to maximize the returns on those 10 actions. I also found that my enjoyment of the game shot way up when I stopped playing the bird temple side of the board. The snake temple is far more interesting in the cost breakdown on both the exploration and research sides of the board. And there are more approaches to winning than you might think after realizing that you can't ignore the research track. For instance, I recently got destroyed by someone who built a compass and tablet economy and then went whole hog on artifacts.

What I don't like is the extreme power level variance in the item cards. A handful of cards like Dog, Aeroplane and Tent are so efficient that they can easily drive a victory if played properly. I also think the artifacts are overall a little underpowered for the cost. It usually makes more sense to spend compasses on exploration in terms of converting actions into points. It would be nice if artifacts focused more on unique actions, given how much they dominate the market row in the last couple rounds.

I'm excited to try the expansion because it seems like the additions are high impact but thoughtful. I hope it gets an implementation on BGA after it's released.

Old Dun Cow fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Glagha posted:

I think the important thing about artifacts that is the reason they can't be better than items on the whole is just because you can play them immediately. Being able to look at the shop row and take an action that gives you potentially exactly what you need right now is pretty powerful.

I agree with their reasoning, but I think some of them are bad enough or so situational that they mostly never get taken. For instance, Ritual Dagger gets you an arrow head and a card exile, which is ostensibly worth 3 compasses but costs 4. Sure, if you desperately need an arrow you might consider it, but the opportunity cost of doing that instead of exploring a Tier 3 site this or next turn is quite large.

The result in games I have played is that the sub par artifacts clog up the market row and then maybe get taken for points in the last round. If they are going to be remain in the market slot, I wish they were a little more consistent or had more interesting mechanics.