Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KomradeX posted:

My first introduction to Deckbuilders was Marvel Legendary, which I like a lot. That being said I like the Alien version much better since I feel it integrates the theme a little better, with giving you an actual role. Whereas in Marvel Legendary you don't really feel like a superhero you feel more like a SHIELD operative dispatching superheroes to deal with something.

This theme still doesn't quite work. When four players are successively playing the same superhero, the game turns into Marvel Office Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Legendary works better if you think of the players as the SHIELD agents/Jarvises/Oracles (or equivalent) directing the action from behind the scenes and giving orders to one group of heroes, I think.

Player 1: Iron Man, fly up and get that hostage!
Player 2: Iron Man, punch Red Skull in the face!
Player 3: Iron Man, shoot Green Goblin!
Iron Man: :suicide:

Broken Loose posted:

Basically, the only good thing Black Market does is interact with Tactician.

Black Market is a good promo card; a goofy gimmick that's good for a laugh once in a great while.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Black Market as a card (access all the things) is really, really bent if not outright broken due to the amount of cards out there where getting the first one is absolutely vital. Picking up King's Court on the right board is ridiculous, picking up Rebuild similarly so. Or Mountebank or Familiar or Witch when there's no other junking. And conversely, it can be utterly hilariously useless. Picking up Treasure Map, say, or the other couple of examples that i can't quite recall... it's a solid card but the 'play everything' part is silly.

You can always just not put certain cards in the Black Market deck. Making interesting sets of 15-20 Black Market cards is kind of a fun minigame.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Also this look loving awesome: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152470/fief-france-1429

Kind of Game of Thronesy (with a suggested hour less playtime) -- and that marriage + assassination mechanic sounds delightful.

Fief sounds great, but I'm prepared for it to be a Xia-level computer game rip-off filled with terrible "thematic" design decisions.

silvergoose posted:

Nah, don't sever. Just, uh, don't play games with him anymore.

But... what else would people do together? :confused:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

I feel compelled to ask why this guy continues to game with them if he always dies first?

Given the games they're playing, dying first is probably ideal.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You guys are kind of making me want to take another attempt at reading the rules of the Agricola game I inherited.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Dominion is definitely a game, it's just one with simple mechanics and no theme to speak of. Players form strategies and make decisions, and eventually whoever does the best job (subject to some randomness) is declared the winner. Sounds like just as much of a game to me as anything else.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Errr wait, can you dispute 'dispute rolls'? Guess we'll have to roll a dice to resolve THAT dispute.

Dispute the idea that you can't declare infinite fractal VPs from infinite disputes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

If you're going to play nomic, you could start with less lovely base rules.

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised there aren't any decent games with Nomic elements to them. Maybe because it's a stupid idea. :(

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trynant posted:

Seriously though if you can acknowledge the rather ludicrous colonialism in Archipelago it's everything a semi-cooperative game should be.

I just let that kind of stuff slide because it makes me tired and sad to think about it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Uh yeah keeping live animals in your store's pretty much a no-no

I thought it was weird enough that The Gathering Ground had a big friendly dog. Ferrets are just an odd choice.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

homullus posted:

Mentally going back through 70s-90s music with special attention to the Cold War resonance is pretty fun. I wish "Let's Make a Cold War Soundtrack" wasn't such a digression for this thread.

You're right, take it to the wargame thread.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I thought SU&SD was annoying before it was cool.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So what's the consensus of Cosmic Encounter?
It's a good game that's mostly been superseded by more refined games.

Fungah! posted:

It's so stupid because CE's like the single worst game possible for social interaction and politics. Outside of "Well Quinns hosed me last game so I'm going to make sure he loses" the only basis you've got for political interaction is "well which side of the randomly generated encounter is closer to winning the game?" and then go with the other. You can't even do a Catan-style well I'll give you six wood for a sheep just to gently caress the other guy, it's pretty much just try to be part of the n-1 bloc that's going to win the game instead of the one guy that's going to lose.
That's a bit simplistic. There's all kinds of reasons you'd pick one side or the other, like hand management, your read of which player has the strongest cards, their willingness to actually play those cards in this particular battle, etc. Also, you make it sound like you have a lot of n-1 victories, which is a beginner-level CE phenomenon on par with playing Dominion by buying Silver<Gold<Province. CE hasn't had a claim to GOAT status in at least 15 years, but it is more interesting than your description implies.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In Cosmic Encounter, if a single player realizes that they can do better than ending up in an n-1 victory, they'll be the one left over while everyone else shares an n-1 victory.
That's only true if everyone else is aggressively working toward an n-1 victory, and spiting you in particular for breaking some implied truce. But it's true of any game that if everyone mutually agrees to avoid winning, either nobody will win or somebody will randomly be pushed into a win depending on the rules. If people get mad at you for trying to win, don't play with those weirdos. If they don't: you'll win handily by not inviting offensive allies to every attack while still accepting when invited, until eventually they catch on.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I played Guns of Gettysburg last night, with three others (team game). I read the rulebook a good dozen times before attempting to teach it to the others. It was slow to start as I explained everything, but it turned into a pretty good time, even though I'd been worried that a couple would be intimidated by the games opacity.

The main point I took away from the game stems from its various unique mechanics. Learning GoG was like learning to play board games all over again, and it turns out that as an adult with responsibilities it's really hard to learn board games from scratch. I guess what I'm saying is, I learned some respect for people who think board games are hard.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jabor posted:

The only game of Cosmic Encounter I've played ended in an n-1 victory because holy poo poo it had been four goddamn hours and I just wanted it to be over already, so I invited everyone else in on the attack against the player I'd been randomly chosen to fight against.

We could have just rolled a dice at the start to see who lost and saved the hassle.

How the hell does a game of Cosmic Encounters last four hours? I play most of my games with at least 50% people who are easily distracted or AP-tastic and I think one time we might've had a two hour game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My first foray beyond Axis and Allies, in high school, was Twilight Imperium 2nd Ed, which was basically hex A&A plus cards. Then Settlers and Bootleggers.

In college I experimented with harder stuff, FFG stuff; it's kind of a haze, but at some point I got Dominion and Vlaada in my life and never looked back.

Edit: I bought the TI tactical expansion, whatever that was called.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 26, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Is Machi Koro any good? My wife and I were at a game night and someone had just picked it up so 4 of us played it. My wife won by basically just not buying anything beyond a few starter cards and then just hoarding cash until she could flip all the attractions. I was the only one that ever really rolled 2 dice, and it never really helped me. I tried to formulate some kind of strategy based on what numbers were likely to come up (aka buy cards that activated on as many rolls as possible) but there just aren't that many options. It was enjoyable but it didn't really seem very deep, was I missing something?

You're not missing anything. My wife loves this game, which she calls the "cheese game" (vaguely remembering that she scored big with the cheese factory); it has mostly supplanted the Princess game and the Train game. It's a very casual, very luck-driven slot machine game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm teaching Game of Thrones to some middleweight gamers this weekend (haven't played it myself). How much would it break the game to play, say, eight rounds instead of ten if it's running long? I'd like to keep the game under six hours, and the group had a mixed record on timeliness.

Lorini posted:

It's more interesting with the expansion, although if you really like the base game, you probably won't care for the expansion.
I would not say I really like it, but it seems like it'd be better to play a different game if we're in the mood for something thinker.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 27, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
So... do you have to shout the final attack when playing solo?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

If you have to ask this then you lack sufficiently hot blood to play this game.

It might be because I haven't watched the video and gotten fired up yet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm happy to hear this. I started out genuinely curious but I was really starting to wonder whether Final Attack! was really just Wacky In-joke Anime-themed Mashup of Designer's Favorite Games.

I'm still hoping for an enemy called The Provost.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Finally played Game of Thrones today. Everyone had played 0-1 times before. The early game zipped along time-wise, since we didn't get a Muster until 4-5 rounds in, meaning everyone just spread around their initial areas and sorta ran out of units. The highlight was, I guess, when I picked up two strongholds for the tie-winner off the girl who refused to do anything except squat in "her" two castles, and kept calling herself House "Lanchester".

I wish the game weren't 4 hours (5 + rules, this time), because I'd love to play again now that people know what's going on. I spend 2/3 of the game bullying people with Raid orders before even Lanchester figured out that turn order was important.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Played Pandemic: On the brink yesterday as the bio-terrorist and it was pretty good. That character throws such a huge mess in already heavily quarterbacked scenario that you can really just break down their gameplay. Unfortunately, they decided to cure purples early so I had to plan my movement by destroying research stations, which killed their tempo a lot. They ended up winning on the last turn; however, we forgot to reshuffle cards after an epidemic so I contend that I could have won possibly by causing more purple outbreaks.

It's a solid expansion and if I bought the game I would get this one immediately since it seemed to counter a lot of people's issues with quarterbacking. Just let the person who doesn't really talk about the strategy be the terrorist. If only one person does all of the talking then maybe play a different game. We haven't tried the other game modes but I dig being a bio terrorist.

If only one person does the talking, make them the bioterrorist. If you have two quiet people and two talkers, then you're hosed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

and they breathe through their noses.

How do people even do this? I wish there was a class I could take, maybe at a con.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

All in all, I think it will be our go-to for when we have friends over whose experience is Catan but could definitely play a harder game. It is Way Better Catan.
10/10 great game.
I love Archipelago, even though I have to fulfill every game's ending condition on my own because nobody else will build two ports or whatever.

sonatinas posted:

Starlit Citadel is fine. They are pretty objective and clear on what they are presenting and is definitely for the general market. It's good to show someone their reviews if they want a short, concise review and impressions of a game. Sometimes, I don't need to be entertained by a video review, I just want a nice video that was shot with a decent camera in a well lit area showing all of the bits and basic ideas behind the game.
Have they gotten any better? I watched years ago and they were terminally boring.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The first couple games I played with this, I made the mistake of leaving out the Separatist since I thought it might simplify things a bit. DO NOT DO THIS. The threat of the Separatist is essential for game balance, since otherwise people would be toeing the line of revolution and may just choose not to fulfill crises. It definitely changes the dynamics of the game when there exists a possibility that your selfishness is helping to further someone's end game.

You can omit the Separatist if you keep goals face-down. Tanking the game only makes sense if you're fairly certain you're losing (especially unlikely with new players). Using the Benefactor trend cards helps too.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

You may want to reread the rules. It is explicitly stated that objectives are the most secret piece of information in the game and must never be revealed to another player unless the objective is achieved.

I was responding to someone responding to someone suggesting that the teaching game of Archipelago be played with face-up objectives as a variant, or at least that's how I interpreted their post. That's why I specified face-down objectives.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Gort posted:

I've no idea how you would keep the game balanced while keeping the addition of cylons random though. Early cylons are less good than late cylons, somehow, perhaps?

Something I've considered in traitor games in general, is having extra role cards, and unused evil cards at the end of the game reduce all resources by 1-2 or something. With BSG you could have two decks, initial and sleeper, one or both having one cylon and one extra card.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The End posted:

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-xcom-board-game/

Even Quinns can't bring himself to gush about this. As many suspected, the game seems half-baked/undercooked, and the strongest recommendation he gives is 'if you really want to play an X-COM game, then you'll like it.'

Talking about the X-COM board game kind of made me want to try Final Attack. I guess it got me excited about co-ops, apps and yelling. (Where's the kickstarter?)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

What's the goon opinion on Blood Bowl Team Manager? I love Blood Bowl but have no interest in getting into an actual miniatures game.

I played it a couple times, we had some fun with it, but overall everything about it felt kind of mechanically half-backed. You build a deck that gets reshuffled approximately once, half your players won't do anything but sit there and apply strength, most of the interesting combos are unlikely to happen, you buy abilities that you mostly won't have time to use, etc.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

Do the expansions do anything for it? Or are they just more of them same?

I wouldn't know.

Having said that, it isn't exactly un-fun. But it does seem very shallow.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm thinking about picking up Viticulture; my wife likes Stone Age, but I'm getting bored of it, at least with two. When I suggested "Stone Age but about running a winery" she loved the idea.

I'm trying to get through the YouTube review but I'm wondering what goons think about it as a regular couple's game. Also apparently the base game is missing a grand worker?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

It's very good pretty strong on theme, and fairly relaxing to play - in the base game at least, you don't have to pay your workers annually, so unlike Agricola and even Caverna, you don't wind up with a conflicting struggle between winning and paying for your people. I think without the expansion content it could get stale quickly though. A hearty recommendation from me.

Is the expansion even available, outside of Kickstarter?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mega64 posted:

You can grab Tuscany Prima (Tuscany with the metal coins) from CoolStuffInc and Miniature Market now. I got it last week along with Archipelago, which I'm excited to try.

What's Tuscany Prima nevermind I looked it up, holy cow I think I'll hold off on the $60 expansion to a $40 game.

Have fun with Archipelago, I really like it, even if we take too long to play it. It occupies my dreams.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

Got in a game of 3-player Cosmic Encounter (no expansions), cut it down to no-frills 4-worlds, no flares and no tech cards game (wanted to keep things *really* simple for the first test game).
I haven't really seen the point of tech cards, but definitely include the flares next time; they aren't complex, just artifacts that return to your hand.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's not, at least in this thread. General goonsensus is 'it was a ground breaking game in its time, it has great theme, but awful, awful mechanics'.

Awful mechanics is a bit much. Most of the mechanics in CE have been recycled and refined in newer, better games.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Tuscany has a huge number of bits, I'd say it's totally worth the extra money. It adds a ton more to the game just based on the shear number of games you would need to play to activate all the expansions.
E: Also, the metal coins are great. I realize it's a huge pile of money to just roll the dice on, but the metal coins are incredibly satisfying to play with.

Adding new rules all the time is a great way to piss my wife off, and it sounds like the base game is underwhelming so I'm passing on it. Thanks for the info.

(You'll be unsurprised to learn we don't play Dominion together.)

Edit: the official motto of US Customs is "gently caress you".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I don't know about you but I still play Star Trek TNG CCG on a daily basis and eagerly await the next set:

That looks like Second Edition bullshit. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Hey, wasn't there a goon-made real-time cooperative game supposed to be coming out this year?

Oh, right!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

I only back games that achieve the perfect balance of strategy and luck.

Seriously, I wish the friends I'd play this with were still around, but I'll still throw a couple bucks out of principle. The world needs this game to exist.