Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also I think you have to differentiate between new player who is interested in learning how to play boardgames and people/family who are looking for something to do. 7 Wonders is a good choice for the former, but the latter will be a lot happier with TTR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Huh, looks like Roll for the Galaxy is out. Has anyone here tried it and can compare it to normal RaceFTG?

I'll let you know next week when mine arrives. Looking forward to it, I usually enjoy Tom Lehmann games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nightfall Kingmaking at its finest. I like Core Worlds as well. I think deckbuilding is going to be a support mechanism like it is in Mage Knight more than people trying to up Dominion. As a support mechanism I like it a lot better than games like Thunderstone Advance.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OK Broken Loose et al, have at it :)

Not choices I would make but if there's interest, perhaps I'll note the stuff I'd change tomorrow.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Admin Understudy posted:

Been a while, Board Game thread.

I've been playing a bunch of Orleans lately, really enjoying that game. It strikes me as both fresh and classic, a real solid Euro-style game. I think it has the perfect amount/style of luck that I enjoy in a game with the unpredictable but controllable bag drawing. We've been enjoying the "draft a building to remove from the game" variant as we keep finding a different strategy to really dominate. I do like 3 player, but I think the game really needs 4 to shine.

Played my first game of Historia recently as well, I was left unimpressed. I didn't find navigating the board that interesting and it just really seemed the little colonization map was too vital for scoring (meaning the options on how to play seemed limited). But that's on one play, I'll probably try and get another in again soon.

Also got in my first game of AquaSphere tonight. Pretty neat! I like the action programming from the one board to the other but I have no idea how you're supposed to score more than one end game scoring goal (although it is a Feld game). It's also ridiculously unintuitive, I have no idea how to approach efficiently teaching that game. The complexity pretty much vanishes once you get through the first round, but it's difficult to get to that point.

And lastly I've had Arkwright sitting unplayed for ages now, I'm dying to get that to the table. Probably won't be until the next monthly day-long meetup in early February. Any tips going in? Is 4 hours to be expected?

Where do you live dude, we gotta meet up sometime :). Arkwright has lasted from 3 and a half hours to 5+ hours for us in three plays.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Looking at Kickstarters I saw that there is one for a deluxe edition of Pixel Tactics that had smashed way past its goal funding. Is the game really that good or is it just people flocking towards something with pixel art ala Boss Monster?

My son and I like it a lot, noting that we are fans of Final Fantasy Tactics, the console game Level 99 games seems to be emulating. It's a nice tactics style game. Clear rules and over in half hour or so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Would this fit all of the Dominion sets plus the new one?

bad joke incoming

some guy told me __________ was nine inches and I've never been able to measure accurately since

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

It's literally the same as this, but without the polyurethane finish or the laser engraving. You can even order it with an insert specifically designed for Dominion.

quote:

This custom wooden artist case is designed to store all eight Dominion expansions and features the Dominion logo prominantly engraved on the top of the box.

There's going to be nine now. I was thinking that the general one might fit the new expansion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Reporting back that Broken Token says their Dominion cases will fit the new expansion without sleeves. I didn't ask about including sleeves as I don't plan to do so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Anybody played Orleans? Looks neat from Radho's review/playthrough, not sure if it's worth $60 though.

Love it. 2014 top five for sure.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orleans is available from Amazon.de from a French shipper who will ship internationally. It'll be pricey though, probably close to funagain.com's original $99 with shipping.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I have a player who learns a million times better from a player aid or other piece of paper that he can refer to. Many times the rules include information that I print out for everyone, this can really speed up the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I like meetups much more than game stores for that very reason. Not many people are going to let smelly anti-social types into their meetup because those people run off everyone else. Whereas it seems like to game stores that a warm body is better than no body at all even if it does smell and make everyone uncomfortable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Just so people know, the organizer pays a fee to meetup.com to organize the meetup, so they tend to be more social in order to make it worthwhile. There's no point in paying a bunch of money to hang out with yourself :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I never watched the Rahdo video, but in at least half of our Orleans games, the person who won built no buildings at all won. They aren't mandatory. The lack of replayability never honestly crossed my mind, noting that one of my top 10 games is Ora et Labora, a game that basically has the same stuff every time. My biggest worry is that the cardboard chits will become worn out and/or deformed and that will ruin the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Ancient Rome... I really want a Rome themed board game (since between the history of Rome podcast and total war rome 2 I've been on a huge roman kick), any recommendations on that theme alone? I'd prefer something not too crunchy, but I'm open to pretty much any type of board game.

Tribune but it's out of print and expensive unfortunately. Nice Roman touch though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I love Dungeon Petz but I sometimes worry about the theme because sometimes it is explicitly the best option to make your pets suffer in order to gain more points. I think this is the reason Lorini (iirc) doesn't like it and why my SO also kind of dislikes it.

Yup, I just don't like the feeling of doing that. I don't have an issue with other people playing or anything like that, it's just not for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Well that's the thing, isn't it. The game has mechanism that promote the fact that you should not care about the health of your pets as long as they make you money (or, in this case, renown). I guess it pretty accurately reflects the true nature of for-profit pet shops, but it is a theme that some will find distasteful.

Mechanically it's awesome, no question. I'm not complaining about the theme, I don't fault Vlaada for the theme, it's just not for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

burger time posted:

AFAIK you're the most experienced with Level 99 Games so I'm gonna ask you: I'm waiting on the BattleCon War kickstarter to arrive (not owning Battlecon yet), but I'm wondering if Pixel Tactics is worth pledging for, or is it another 2 player game occupying a similar length/weight that's just not as good as Battlecon (and I'll just end up playing Battlecon instead)?

Pixel Tactics is simpler than Battlecon is, much simpler really. Not as many characters either. Pixel Tactics is easier to get to the table in a way because the setup is faster and you don't sit down to play a ton of games of it, like you might with Battlecon.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It's not just this thread and Goons aren't the only people who love the game. There are other deck builders out there but other than maybe Mage Knight none of the them would have existed without the astounding popularity of Dominion. Which is why they aren't as popular. Hearthstone is the first CCG-Magic style game that is coming even close to Magic the Gathering in popularity and it took 21 years for that to happen.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

As we all sadly know, Black Market worked much better on isotropic than in real life.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm sorry but that Risk story is nearly Facebook funny. "WTF? You're supposed to actually ATTACK??! NO WAY!"

:ms:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sounds like a group I shouldn't play with. Got it.

:)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Azran posted:

I wish it was stdh.txt. I am from Argentina so racist jokes and the like are dime a dozen. This guy in particular is 100% Argentinian, but slightly copper skinned instead of totally white. So his nickname is "slave" and "black". Not surprising at all for an Argentinian, and they are tired of me saying it is racist to the point of discrimination talk being vetoed whenever I am around since even the guy in particular is fine with it. gently caress, his girlfriend calls him negro too.
It is a running joke for their group (who have known each other for way longer than I have been in it, they were class mates for year and we are all in our twenties) to always make sure "the Negro dies first".

A 'negro' is any kind of criminal here, matter actual skin colour or ethnicity. A "China Man" is anyone with slanted eyes. A "Jew" is anyone who is cheap and greedy. A "gipsy" is someone who does not wash often, Etc. It annoys me a lot but that is literally every Argentinian I have met. It doesn't help either that they consider Family Guy, 9gag and Adam Sandler to be the paragons of comedy.

Ew.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BonHair posted:

Dominion feels like a mechanic that someone forgot to put in a game. (I honestly feel like this, but I should probably try it again some day)

You don't need to try it again. Seriously there are so many games out there now, don't waste time with something that doesn't have what you are looking for.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yep a woman. I dunno, there is so much gaming out there, why bother with something you didn't like? And at least at this point, I would argue that the quality of the games are getting better and are on an upswing, whereas with novels that's probably debatable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I just bought the Machi Kuro Harbor expansion and the cards don't match what IDW put out as the Machi Kuro original. Now the place that I bought them from is run by an attorney, so I suppose if I took the Findlaw site to him he'd have to accept the return back. HOWEVER, he could say that the game is still playable and therefore is not defective, and therefore his clearly posted refund policy (where you can only return unopened merchandise for a week after buying it) would apply.

Defective is a broad word, is what I'm saying.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The End posted:

Yeah, it seems like there isn't an equivalent of the ACCC for US businesses and consumers. A shame really, their website is a great resource.

ftc.gov for US.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Wait what's the issue with them now?

Also goddamn, why does IDW suck at printing cards so much? I remember the original Machi Koro release had a bunch of defective cards too.

The expansion cards are shorter and narrower. Which wouldn't be a problem, except that in the expansion you actually shuffle all the cards together, meaning that it's nearly impossible to riffle shuffle the cards.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

KomradeX posted:

So since it looks like the Machi Koro cards are different from the base set (Jesus that's dumb) would sleeving them help with the problem? What sleeves would be good for both the base and expansion set?

I used Fantasy Flight American sized sleeves. Took 200 of them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Holy poo poo apparently there's a group in East Tennessee that gets 13-25 a meetup and they're having a session not five minutes away from me this rules:

http://www.metropulse.com/stories/throw-down-your-apps-more-and-more-people-are-getting-social-through-board-games

You are so fortunate. Greg Schloesser is one of the nicest guys ever to play games with. Tell him Jennifer Schlickbernd said hi!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Do you have someone you already know that has already promised to play with you?

If not, I...kinda would suggest not getting it. Hard as hell to get played.

The app came out today and it includes the ability to build a deck, points included. And I think that's going to make it a ton easier to get the game to the table. I'm waiting for the smaller box myself.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Sorry but that's amazing thematically.

We were playing Virgin Queen and the host wanted to put on some music so we had to figure out 1) what musical period Virgin Queen took place in (it's Baroque) 2) Who were some Baroque composers we could play.

So sad about 2. Jeezus he only did about 1000 songs, guess his name??? drat.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Wait no it wasn't Baroque it was Renaissance, since the game takes place 1559-1598. So Bach is like 100 year soff.

OK and no Tchaikovsky didn't do 1000 songs. Tchaikovsky can be awesome for background music for specific games though. Unfortunately for me, I'm hard of hearing so I can't have music while gaming :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

echoMateria posted:

You can cheat in small ways in almost every game if other players aren't paying attention to every one of your actions. Usually people do not because otherwise games slow down considerably but still you are in danger of being caught at any moment if someone stops and pays attention to what you are doing. So while it depends on how you feel about being a cheat most of the time, these are still small things, not the main mechanic of any of those games. What Roll for the Galaxy has is like you are free to decide on which cards you draw from your Dominion deck every turn... But please don't, pretty please?

I like the idea of the game but I just can't accept such a huge design flaw. Lots of games have hidden information and use a screen in front of you to hide some bits of the game. Blueprints for example has you pile up dice on a card behind your screen to make buildings. But those dice are rolled into the open, you just pick and place them on your blueprints behind the screen. If you are a cheat maybe you can switch them to another face while placing, but a player with sharp memory can just say "That glass die from turn one (at the bottom of your building) was a 1, not a 6, you cheater!" On Roll for the Galaxy, no one can stop you from being a cheat.

Fortunately the people in our group would rather be challenged than win. I'm 100% certain there won't be cheating when we play it. It's not like we are playing for lotto winnings and no one's going to remember who won 10 minutes after the game is over anyway. I don't get all the angst about this. Do you guys play for money or something?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Just finished up the rough draft of a new game. Dragon, Griffon, Troll, a two player abstract strategy/deduction game inspired by what I felt where some flaws in Battleship's design. It could also seriously use some playtesting.

Poison Mushroom, were you aware of this thread? Just for designers like yourself.

BL, last night we played a game of Orleans. Now what's a badly kept secret about it is that it's easy to cheat by looking at everyone else's board before doing your own. But you know what, we just don't do that. We have an agreement that no one will look at boards until everyone says they are done. Now does that make Orleans a badly designed game? No, it just asks people to be adults.

I don't know what other issues Roll for the Galaxy has, but I'm looking forward to playing it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

edit: ^^^ how is orleans overall? IF you had to repurchase your collection again or were on a desert island etc etc would it be on your short list?

If I were playing Roll for the Galaxy in prison or something, could we use those terrible loud dice cups? Or maybe backwards dice towers?

We have liked it for our first four plays but after last night we are wondering if the trading strategy is just too strong. What I mean by too strong is that to counter it, players will have to go out of their way. Now, one main thing is that we were playing with three, and I suspect three is not a good number for the game. One player tried the harvest strategy and he lost by like 40 points to the trading strategy. If the game really is nothing but who builds the most trade posts then while it would still be good, I'd certainly not take it with me to a desert island and it will probably get sold long before the kickstarter comes through.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

korora posted:

Is looking during the planning phase even cheating? I played for the first time last night (2P) and the rulebook didn't give any guidance we could find on that point. We decided it was fine to look and it didn't seem to cause any problems. The rulebook does say "If need be, [finalize planning] in turn order" which seems like it would solve any problems. I like the dynamic of at least being able to see what other players could do—if you don't look you can't even see what followers they've drawn.

Our group would come to a complete halt if people could look at other people's plans because no one would plan anything ever. We didn't want to do turn order because we felt that made turn order too important. I think though that next time we play we will announce the followers drawn, that is a good suggestion, so it would give some indication on what could or could not happen.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you corner the buildings that give development points or cut someone off from Scholars, you have to get fewer Trading Posts and Citizens to win. Your opponent can still get DPs from building canals on the Beneficial Deeds board, but every DP he takes there is points lost from not taking money.

Having played Orleans a few times now, I see several strategies:

1) Goods rush. You ignore development and hence TPs in favour of racing round the board as much as possible collecting the highest value goods. You will rush buy Knights and Boatmen in the hope of getting the two Citizens there for a few extra points, also Farmers to score from the census and get more goods. You'll also want to pick up at least one Trader for a goods generation building - two if you have access to the Tavern/Depot promos, as the Depot is specifically designed to aid this strategy. You may also want to build the Sacristy if you can, as this strategy is very vulnerable to Taxation. Horse Wagon is nice for extra moves as well, though not quite essential as you should have plenty of Farmers.

2) Development rush. The aim here is to sprint up the track buying Scholars and Monks to grab the Citizens en route and make them all worth 6 points. Your first building will be the Hospital, but the Library is worth grabbing too. Culling to the Beneficial Deeds board is important for getting Citizens, but you can afford to snipe rather than try to fill everything. This strategy declines in value if Income events come out early.

3) Better Living Through Technology. In this strategy you'll be buying mainly Craftsmen, Traders and Monks to get as many of the points-generating buildings as possible. Laboratory is a must, of course, but Windmill, Cellar and Brewery are also on your shopping list. Cull your bag as much as possible so you can activate all three of them every turn, leaving your basic workers parked on the board if necessary. This strategy is probably the most flexible, as you can use it as a launchpad for any other depending how the events go.

4) Trading Post spam. This is really a hybrid of Goods rush and Development rush. You need to get some distance up the Development track or your TPs aren't worth much, so you won't be moving as far or as often. Declines in value if Market Day events come out early.

Thanks Jedit, the other player tried the goods rush but he didn't do anything on the development track and I think that's what really hurt him the most. This is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Keyflower is pretty loving tight.

Just saying.

I think it's his best game by far and really deserves a space in nearly any Euro player's collection. What I like best is how easily it transitions from 2 players to 6 players. Also the auction is different from most auctions, you feel like you have some control but other players can interfere as well. Note that I only play it without hidden trackable information, as described in The Farmers expansion.