Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Llyranor posted:

El Grande being OOP is a crime

Rio Grande has asked repeatedly to reprint it and Hans Im Gluck who is the original publisher has refused. There are a number of games in their catalog that they would like to bring back but can't get a license. By the way they just reprinted Coloretto, a great little card game, and the distributors wanted a sell sheet for this 'new' game.

(I'm good friends with the project manager for Rio Grande, we go way back)

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 26, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I think we should show directly how white supremacy does in fact affect board games, especially with the past colonialism games that were too much of the Euro style games. I didn't read the intro as I'm phoneposting, but yes we should talk about representation in board games and its historical lack thereof.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Listing out some games designed by non-white/non-male folks is a good idea, but representation in game design isn't the ONLY issue here.

Also these issues aren't "auxiliary" to the people who experience them.

It's nice to have representation in game design but that's not really the issue. Frankly any designer who we haven't seen a picture of could be Black. As Eric Lang plainly shows, just because a designer is Black doesn't mean they design "Black" games. I honestly don't like the emphasis on Black designers because it feels like there's an expectation they'll design "Black" games and let the white people design the games that actually sell. It's a feeling and I don't know why people insist that somehow having Black designers will change the hobby but I really don't like it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

homullus posted:

The new OP could reasonably acknowledge, and summarize briefly (in no particular order) the current issues with: (1) bigoted game companies/CEOs (e.g. Gaming Goat), (2) designers of color, (3) representations of diversity in games (e.g. Alma Mater), and (4) the decolonization of tabletop gaming. Links to fuller discussions elsewhere would be fine, nobody needs to write the decisive NYT article on it. "Community recognition of these issues is growing; many of us talk and think about these more than we used to."

Also, a black designer doesn't have to make a "black game" for their voice to be relevant. They will have different perspectives, even in a "regular" (whatever that means) game. Separate from that, there's interest out there in boosting the signals of BIPOC creatives and acknowledging the decades they've been contributing to the hobby.

I'm sorry but that's an assumption that I don't like. Black people have many different experiences and outlooks and I will never say that somehow simply the color of their (my) skin says that they will have a different experience. Many/most do but not all. I would challenge anyone to play Rising Sun and somehow magically know it was from a Black designer.

E: I am a Black woman but I don't speak for all Black people and neither should the thread imply that we do either.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

homullus posted:

You're taking it one step further than you need to, which is why it rings false. The idea is not that people should magically know that A Black Person was involved because of certain Black characteristics they just couldn't help but leave in the design -- that's crazy talk, which is why it sounds crazy to you. It's also crazy talk to say Black Americans all have the same experience. I guess it's mathematically possible for a Black American to have an experience in America 100% free of any racial difference, but the way race is embedded in pretty much everything here, I have serious doubts.

The plainest I can say it is that your entire life experience, conscious and unconscious, informs everything you do. Design-wise, it is as much about what you cut out of a game as what you put in. It is how you word things, the media you consume for fun, even how you envision people playing your game. I think a Black American could have produced Alma Mater, for example, and said yes, it makes sense that all these characters are white, but I think it's less likely. That's an extreme example, but I think you may be underrating the relevance of identity in creation/design.

And I'm saying you're overrating it in the case of Black people. And maybe the thread agrees with you. I'm not in control of what the OP will say. I'm putting my thoughts out here and if people don't agree so be it. Everyone's experiences affect what they do. But I will tell you that within the hobby I have only had two experiences out of 35 years that I felt were racist. They were very limited and would not affect a game I might design in the future, just as my life as a Black woman did not affect the contributions I made to Advanced Civilization.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

So when you're e.g. fighting the good fight on BGG because regressive gamers are in a tizzy that some designer suggested black people existed outside sub-Saharan Africa prior to globalization, or whatever the chud cause du jour is, do you think that your lived experiences are completely coincidental to your point of view on the subject?

Obviously, plenty of white guys agree with you, so it's not like there's a 1:1 correlation between race and sociopolitical beliefs. I do think you raise a good point and it's definitely important to recognize that representation is not a magic bullet. No amount of buying games from Black designers is going to fix racism, and reducing them solely to the color of their skin does not do them any favors. But representation isn't nothing, either, and in particular I think that boosting visibility of Black designers is likely to be helpful in combating assumptions about this being a hobby by and for white cishet men. (I would hope that nobody reading this thread needs any persuading on this point, but raising awareness for more casual thread readers may help supply them with ammo when they encounter these attitudes in the wild.)

Having just gone through an election in California where the Black candidate was a 1000% white supremacist is proof that anyone can care or not care about this issue. And there's plenty of Black people out there like him. And I don't think that Black designers are going to do what (seems like white) people want then to do. Folks it's not Black people's job to save our loving hobby from racism. The hobby needs to save itself from racism. All of us white, Black, Asian, LGBTQ, are responsible for keeping this hobby contextual and representative. So while of course I want more designers, more experiences, more research and cultural differences in our designers, they aren't necessarily going to make any difference in how the hobby presents itself. This is why I don't want any sort of implication that somehow the hobby needs more Black designers.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it’s very good for the hobby to be a more welcoming space for non-white non-male creators with zero expectations that their identity play any part in the games they design. It is very much not that currently.

As usual BL is exactly right. The main thing is not to expect them to affect the hobby simply because of their identity. I know of Black people designing games and I don't know that they've felt unwelcome because they were Black. Frankly I doubt that at least in the US because the country is so capitalist that anyone who can make a company money is just fine no matter what they identify with. The problem to me is that we don't have enough Black/Latino/Asian people in the hobby in the first place. At the last con, I counted 3 Latino people at a 1000+ person con. Why aren't they at the cons? Nearly 50% of LA is Latino. Where are the Latino board gamers? More Black attendance is happening, getting closer to their representation in the city, but Latino participation is terrible. So what to do? My answer is again more Latino presence in the board games that are made.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Can we put a disclaimer on or exclude Chicago Express (plus his other games) from the list of recommended games? The (white) designer adopts the pseudonym "Harry Wu" for some of his games for some weird reason, which is a practice of cultural appropriation (is this the right term?) that is both very weird and very off-putting to me. I don't know why white people like to cosplay as Asians as much as they do (see also Marvel's editor in chief), but it's really loving weird and they can all go gently caress themselves.

We could just say he's an idiot because he is. A very nasty person.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Aramoro posted:

John Bohrer is a deeply weird guy but I would hesitate to call it cultural appropriation. When he stopped using Martin Wallace he said this

So again, deeply weird guy but he's not trying to trick people into thinking he's Asian it's just the name he puts on them. Either way it doesn't count as cultural appropriation.

Alternatively threadban train games, that also works. In fact yes threadban train games.

Train games not done by idiots are good :) Bohrer exposed a person's address and phone number on BGG in an attempt to get the person to pay John money which turns out the person didn't even owe. He's always been a negative person, since rec.games.board. gently caress that guy. Him and his stupid patents done by his father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Looking up the Bohrer stuff, I wandered across his fight with Martin Wallace over Age of Steam. Who knew train games would have so many problems?

Amabel's Irish and Iberian Gauge from Capstone should be the train game recommendation.

All I can say is that there is a lot more to that Wallace story that I'm not permitted to tell and of course John took advantage of him but Wallace has a lot of responsibility for what happened.