Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Played King of New York for the first time. Definitely feels like a broader game than King of Tokyo. For the first time ever in our group someone won based on points, with another player having 19 and everyone still in the game. Next match was a real slugfest, but even here the moving, crushing hospitals to heal, etc. just gives you way more options on how to approach the game. It does take a bit longer than KoT because you have more options to choose from and resolving buildings and ouch dice takes more time than the simple 1,2 or 3 from KoT, but it is still short enough to squeeze one or two games in between the heavier stuff.

Also played Coup for the first time. That is some tight design, wow. Everything just seems to be balanced so well, the whole game works great and you can play with less than a minute of explaining. Very impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

I just ordered Kemet. drat this thread.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Has anyone here tried the Kemet expansion? I got a call after ordering that they could throw it in at a discount, but there is hardly any information available.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

I'm pretty sure the guy meant Ta-Seti, originally he said it was Kemet 2 and not released yet.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Wait, where were you ordering this from? Because as Supreme Court mentioned, there isn't even an official release date yet.

I'm in Europe. I only found Kemet in one local store, but it was 70+ Euro. Searched online and found just one website that even sold Kemet in my country, but it was out of stock. Wrote the regular site where I order about it and they called their supplier, who confirmed they can deliver next week and asked if I wanted the expansion with it. So they called me back to say they are going to order some stock, notify me when it gets in and is added to the website so I can place my order.

They did mention it is a very small release. It sounded to me like he could get both, but maybe we just misunderstood each other.

I wouldn't buy the expansion anyway without trying the main game first.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

Need a gift recommendation for a coworker: ideas for games he can play with his 6 and 10 year old sons. He already has Ticket to Ride and Small World, but complains that TtR is too slow. They started playing a variant where first to complete three tickets wins. I was thinking maybe Forbidden Desert, but maybe there's too much QBing (he's complained about that before).

He mentioned that they play Monopoly Jr. together, and this cannot stand. (The boys at least made up some rules for attacking properties you land on to spice things up, so on some level they understand it sucks.)

King of Tokyo/New York?

Hard to find a 10-year old that doesn't like big monsters and smashing stuff, though it might be a little too complicated for the 6-year old.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Yeah, I've been trying real hard to keep my gamenights at 5 players just so we can do Space Alert every time. It is just so drat fun.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

I just realized there weren't any battle bot figures in my Space Alert box. I've been playing it with gray cubes all this time....

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

Anyone fancy a game of Kemet here via the forums?

I played it for the first time last week and we didn't finish the first game because of the time, so I'd love to have another chance. I am in the EU, my posts might be at odd hours.

Jedit posted:

TSC - remember that the discarded battle cards are hidden information, as are DI cards. You won't be able to moderate and play.

Discarded battle cards are open or not, it depends on what you decide beforehand. Manual says both are possible.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Looks like something that'll go perfectly with my group, I'll keep an eye on it.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Saboteur stuff.

We houseruled the game so that after someone finds the gold he doesn't hand the remaining reward cards over to the previous player, but instead the cards go to the next player. This way people are still working together to reach the gold, but setting it up so the next player finds it will leave you in the worst position when it comes to the rewards being handed out. Everybody still wants to dig and reach the goal, but at the same time they try to add twists and turns to the mineshaft so that getting there happens in a way more convenient to them. This removes the obviousness of the Saboteurs, because everyone is trying to change the shafts now.

It has worked great for my group, we don't even need saboteurs sometimes because greed will just destroy the whole effort.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Zveroboy posted:

Some games are just mentally draining though. I haven't played Space Alert personally but from what I've seen it seems like a very intense 10 minutes of constant dicussion and planning, I'd probably want a short break between rounds at least.

This, it can get pretty stressful if you have people that really get into the game and sometimes you just want to hang on a couch with a beer and chat over something light.

Also, I have a friend who absolutely can't stand losing in Space Alert. He feels the game is very hard on the players and doesn't see it as a challenge, but as unfair.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Zveroboy posted:

I just realised that it's board game night tonight and I completely forgot to pack any games before leaving the house.

Welp.

Sounds like a great reason to visit a store and buy something new.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

lockdar posted:

The situation you described was shockingly familiar to my first game of Bloodrage at Essen yesterday, one guy drafted all the "loosing matters" cards and ran away with the game at the end of the second era. It was fun to see but frustrating because the 2 people to his right (who could prevent him from getting those cards in the second era) did nothing about it. Loved the game but holy poo poo it's 100 euro...

Had a blast with Blood Rage over the weekend again.

Whole story on the last few pages just shows what happens if someone gets to pick what he wanted completely uncontested. Why fight everyone else if you can just score points by being ignored? Smart move. Ofcourse he isn't going to join in on more fights if he gets crushed doing just that the age before. Same with the re-pillage card and the one that allows you to sacrifice men for better stats. If someone sits in a corner repeating one of those moves you either rush to end the age by pillaging all zones or contest their re-pillage, don't just let them sit there simply because he isn't fighting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

My house rule for Brass is that whenever you build, sell or mention Wiggan you should say "don't stop, Wiggan, Wiggan" and it has massively improved an already perfect game.