Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

We should all take turns talking about our favorite parts of Munchkin.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I checked the last couple of pages and didn't see this mentioned, but I just played The Captain is Dead, a humorous sci-fi co-op boardgame for 2-7 players and loved it.

quote:

The last 10 minutes of your favorite Sci-Fi show that has gone so badly that The Captain is Dead!

Attention Crew! The captain is dead! Our jump core is offline. There is a hostile alien ship off our port side. We need to get our jump core back online so we can get out of here. You have trained for this. You know what needs to be done. Go do it!

You start by choosing a character from each color, which represents an archetype on the show; Blue is Command like the First Officer or the Admiral, Yellow has the Transporter Chief and Chief Engineer, Grey has the Janitor and the Hologram, etc. Only one role from each color can be played, and each role has its own special power, as well as a hand limit for skill cards, a rank for determining play order, skill types, and number of free actions. For instance, I played the Transporter Chief (aka Chief O'Brien), which allowed me two free teleport actions around the ship, as well as four free actions and 1 Engineering skill point. You start your turn by moving around the ship to whatever room you'd like to perform an action in. This could include going to the CPU Room to fix the computer systems that were taken offline or to draw skill cards (more on these later), going to the Infirmary to get healed after an alien attack, or to the Armory to use the Torpedo Bay to destroy alien ships. Once you end your turn, you draw an Alert Card.

Alert Cards (which begin at low-level Yellow and end at "Oh poo poo we are going to die" Red) break your ship by taking down important systems like internal scanners and the transporter, damaging your shields, by having enemy aliens board your ship and attack players, or have enemy ships surround your ship and fire on your systems. Your goal is to not only survive all of these things, but to also get your jump core back online (this allows you to set the difficulty of the game, from Coward to Insanity), which requires a certain amount of Engineering skill points, as well as free actions. Skill points can be listed on a player's card, drawn from the Cargo Pod in the Cargo Bay, or picked up in the CPU Room, and the skills are Tactical, Command, Engineering, Science. Each ship system has its own skill requirement, as well as free action requirement. For instance, fixing the jump core requires five Engineering skill points and two free actions. It also takes multiple turns to fix the core, as each level of repair requires the actions + skill points, i.e. the higher you set the difficulty, the more turns you have to spend repairing the jump core. If you repair the jump core all the way to "Engaged", you win, regardless of the status of your ship's systems, if you are surrounded by alien ships, or if there are aliens on your ship.

As Chief O'Brien, I could teleport to Engineering and fix the jump core for only four Engineering skill points (because of the 1 Engineering point my character already had). These special abilities allow you to create a strategy to use to try to win, and cooperation is key. You can trade skill cards for one action point, so whenever anyone got an Engineering card, they handed it to me. We had a Medical Officer who was good at Science (allowing them to use Research to improve our ship, and also battle against Alert Cards that had permanent effects, like Increased Gravity, which increased the number of actions it took to move from one room to the next), so we gave her all of the Science cards. We also worked together when an Alert came up to figure out who was the best person to fight whatever the issue was. If aliens boarded the ship, our Security Officer could use 1 action to kill multiple aliens (instead of 1 action per alien), as long as they were in the Armory. I could freely teleport around to fix anything that needed Engineering, and our Tactical Officer was handy for whenever the shields were damaged (which was pretty much every turn, so they got all of the Tactical cards). Discussion is key, as you need to figure out what systems are worth fixing first (after the first few turns, you will have at least two systems down at once), as well as who should be where, who should fix what, and what Research is important to do. You have to work together because one person absolutely cannot do everything.

Here's their Kickstarter page to see pictures and videos (the tokens are different in the actual game, but the cards and game board look the same): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thegamecrafter/the-captain-is-dead. They've been fully funded (4300% in fact), so the game is on sale through The Game Crafter here for $50. My friends and I had a ton of fun playing this game, and again, it works for up to 7, so it's good for large or odd-numbered groups. The pieces, board, and cards are all good quality and the artwork is really cool. I would say well worth the money if you like cheesy sci-fi action and co-op boardgames.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 11, 2015

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I'm rather skeptical of a fully cooperative version of BSG with a ton of the rules removed.

malkav11 posted:

Sounds more like a slightly more complicated reskin of Pandemic, to me. With a security guy that kills all the diseas...I mean, aliens, and lots of trading cards around. But hard to say without playing it.

I have yet to play either one of those games, so I can't comment on the similarities/discrepancies unfortunately. I can say though that this was my first time I've played a truly cooperative game (I played Betrayal at House on the Hill, but that didn't play like this one did) and I really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoy competitive games, I had a lot more fun playing this, and am looking forward to the next game night to play it again. It was really easy to pick up, maybe 10-15 minutes' worth of explanation, and each character card has a turn info cheat sheet on the back, so it wasn't unnecessarily difficult to keep track of gameplay either. If I get a chance to play BSG or Pandemic, I will definitely come back and do a quick comparison, but otherwise this is my only experience with this genre of boardgame.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

This game does look more like Pandemic with more stuff in it though. The downtime must be pretty bad with 5+ players.

There was no point during the game where anyone was getting bored, checking the time, wondering when their turn was going to come. Play is pretty quick, turns are fast, and because everyone is participating pretty much every turn no matter who is going, it doesn't feel like there is any downtime.

I've been meaning to play Space Alert, but so far I haven't been able to find anyone playing it during game night. v:shobon:v

E: To explain myself a little better, a turn goes like this:

-Decide on an action (Ex: Fix a broken system / Heal self / Research / Fix jump core / Collect skill point cards)
-Move to location to perform that action (Ex: Go to Engineering to fix transporter, head to Medical Bay to heal self, go to the Armory to kill aliens/ships)
-Spend skill points/free actions to complete action
-Draw Alert Card and follow what it says (Ex: Add more aliens to the ship, break a ship system, add damage to the shields)
-End turn

It can get a little more complex than that depending on what Alert Card effects are in play, if you want to trade cards, if you want to stop the Alert Card from taking effect, but I felt it was simple enough to be easy to pick up and play, but not boring or dumb. If this game sounds like BSG, Pandemic and Space Alert, I'm definitely going to enjoy those because I really enjoyed this one.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 12, 2015

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I scanned the last couple of pages but didn't see it mentioned, is anyone else attending Dice Tower Con in Orlando this weekend?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Robust Laser posted:

I'm mostly looking for something of, I'unno, medium complexity that isn't too like what I already own and can hit a decently variable amount of people (3-5 is our usual)

I made a detailed post a while ago about The Captain is Dead, a sci-fi oriented co-op game; my friends and I really like it, and everyone we've introduced it to always enjoys it. I also played Bring Out Yer Dead at the Upper Deck booth at Dice Tower, and really enjoyed it. It plays 2-5 players, but plays best with 3 or 5. The goal of the game is to bury all of your family's coffins in the highest point graves on the board, before other people can. To do this, you play cards to get the coffins on the Gravedigger's cart; if you play a coffin and fail to get it on the cart, it goes into the river. You can also bury a coffin into one of two mass graves to get Treasure or Fate cards; Treasure cards get you more victory points, and Fate cards allow you to do things like rescue a coffin from the river, or switch your coffin with someone else's coffin in a better spot. This game in very hilariously morbid, like Addams Family or The Munsters, and the demo tables at the con were constantly full; everyone I talked to about it who played it, loved it. It's a bit expensive for such a simple game, but the pieces and the board are high-quality, and there is a lot of replay value.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Ooh, card sleeve chat. Are there any good sites out there that tell you what size cards you need for which games (maybe I missed a link if there was one)? I tried searching [game name] + card sleeves and came up with tons of random sizes. Do I just need to measure the cards and search for card sleeves 2" by 3" or whatever? I need odd sizes for games like Dixit and Blood Bowl Team Manager, among others.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Lorini posted:

There's a card sleeve geekist at the bottom of most popular games on BGG. Just scroll down and click on the actual list. It'll give you the card size.

How have I not noticed that before? :doh: Thank you!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Drone posted:

Are there any recommendations for a good 2-player co-op game? Space Alert looks like it's only fun with groups of 3 or more, same with Arkham Horror (the only time I've played that was in a group of four and it was great). I have Netrunner, but my partner and I want something that we play "together" and not necessarily against each other. I know both of those games CAN be played with only 2 people, but I'd like something that actually does it well.

I always recommend The Captain is Dead! whenever someone brings up a co-op game. I wrote an effort post about it here. An expansion just came out for it recently, which we haven't tried out yet, but I really like the game.

I'm definitely going to check out Flash Point and Ghost Story as well; my group really loves co-op games.

Skutter fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 18, 2015

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Echophonic posted:

TL;DR :eng101:
If you like BSG or you like more involved traitor games, you'll almost certainly like Dark Moon. We played with some newbies and some BSG players of varying experience and everyone enjoyed it. I am really glad this is in my collection.

My groups loves BSG and other hidden role games, this sounds great. I will definitely have to check it out.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Lorini posted:

Yay! I'm going to Dice Tower Con!

Awesome, we got tickets too. I know when I mentioned going this year, it seemed some people itt weren't fans of it. It might be fun to do some gaming with some goons next year. :) Were you able to get a room at the hotel? I heard it's already sold out.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

The tickets sold out in 5 mins, the same 5 minutes the site wouldn't work for me (and many others). Cool.

That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I know a lot of people had issues with EventBrite's site. DT did do a release at 3PM of 400 additional tickets, with those on the waiting list having first crack at them. I've seen people mention on the Facebook group that they bought more tickets than they needed "for friends", or that they heard others did. This year a few people weren't able to go and sold their tickets right before the con, so maybe you can get one of those? They did say next year (for the 2017 con) there will be 3500 tickets available. The biggest issue from what I've read is the fact that the new hotel was double-booked with another con at the same time. We'll see how it plays out next year I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Does anyone have any suggestions for storytelling games, along the lines of Near and Far, Tales of Arabian Nights, Above and Below, etc.? I really, really dig these kinds of games (and just picked up an adorable new one called Stuffed Fables) specifically because of the storytelling elements. The playable maps in N&F and Stuffed Fables are great as well. Some friends and I are currently playing Charterstone right now, which is probably the best game I have personally ever played. It's hard to talk about it without spoiling a lot of the fun details, but the discovery aspects are really fun, and I appreciate the quality of the tokens, money, and cards. I don't mind talking more about it if anyone else has played, we just finished Game 5, so it would be interesting to hear others experiences (without spoilers of course).