Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Madmarker posted:

How can you say that when Macao and Quantum exist?

Alien Frontiers and King's Forge also are great dice allocation games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Find a good 'how to play' guide for Crusoe, and play it solo a couple times before teaming up with other people - the rule book is loving terrible.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Yeah, I had a copy of the new Resistance expansion in my hands yesterday at the FLGS. Meanwhile, I don't think they've even started shipping my Kickstarted copy. Fuckers.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Good post and good advice - maybe it should be put it in or near the OP?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Randomness needs to be used judiciously and with a deft touch. Randomness in setup/start condition is awesome, as it extends the life of the game. Randomness in allocation of powers and capabilities is annoying as gently caress - any time you're reliant on hoping to randomly pull the 'I win' card from a shared deck, you may as well have rolled a dice at the beginning and declared a winner then and there.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

jivjov posted:

I may be interested in buying it off you. I enjoyed it when I played it at my FLGS' game night. And I've never even watched Firefly.

Get Xia instead, if you can find it. Same general theme, but much more gameplay (even if it needs houseruling to not be as broken/random)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Anniversary posted:

Does anyone in this thread have a write up for Sentinels of the Multiverse. I'm tentatively curious about the fact that it's a many v AI it but feel like all I've heard is mixed things.

It's a bad game.

The game is very reliant on top decking, with there rarely being more than a couple of worthwhile tactical options for each hero. You spend large amounts of time milling the deck while waiting for the right circumstances to arise, all the while doing mundane mathematics over and over (This guy does x damage, but is modified by this +1, which is affected by that -1, which feeds this other cards +1). Whilst there are a bunch of possible permutations of scenario in the box, suggesting brilliant value, the gameplay runs dry very quickly and all that's left is a dull dull game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's also worth pointing out that the "simplicity" of the system is faked by just moving a lot of the rules to specific cards. It's a game that would have been significantly streamlined with a proper keyword system.

Wouldn't make it any less dull, but at least it'd be more consistent.

Yeah, there's little that couldn't have been done with icons, which would make it easier to 'read the board' and remember modifiers too. However, it wouldn't remove the fact that by mid game, there's a crap tonne of interlinking modifiers in play, and as a result, much boring maths.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Anniversary posted:

Thanks for all the write ups on Sentinels! Sounds like its a little more flawed than I expected and has me putting it in the do not purchase category; but maybe play if someone has it.

Smart choice. If you're still jonesing for something superheroey, Villainy and Heroes Wanted are two recent games that actually have potential to be good games about superheroes. They're too new to have a real consensus on them, but I'd certainly give them a whirl.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

malkav11 posted:

I think the people bitching about limited decision-making, intense book-keeping, and bad art are crazy, also not particularly representative - aside from the Shut Up and Sit Down crew and this thread I've never encountered anyone who's played Sentinels and had any of those issues with it. Certainly not any of the people I've played it with, and more than one of them have turned around and bought the game themselves.

Your anecdote sure beat the hell out of my opinion there. Bravo. While we're slinging anecdotes, I've watched every single member of my gaming group who liked it go from red hot to ice cold on that game in the space of a year. Every single one.

But yeah, obviously these are the rantings of a crazy person.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

jivjov posted:

Got the Mountains of Madness expansion for Eldritch to the table for the first time yesterday, and I really really like it. For those worried about too much clutter, the Antarctica sideboard only gets used in two circumstances: if you're up against the Rise of the Elder Things AO, or you draw one specific prelude card. All the other non-antarctic specific stuff shuffles into existing decks, increasing encounter card pools and adding new assets and the like. It also adds a couple new Gate locations (both ones in Antarctica and some additional ones on the main board like the Pyramids) and Expedition locations. All in all a SUPER solid product and well worth it if you like Eldritch Horror.

It's a surprising design choice that Antarctica only get used under specific circumstances. I understand that they want a certain modularity to it, but there should be a few more ways to get it into the game.

On the same topic - if you're trying to fit everything in the base box, but want to use a plano for all the bits and pieces, a 3600 fits beautifully (and you can put the small cards inside it as well. Gonna be hosed when the next expansion comes though

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
As a counterpoint, I'll advocate for Spartacus. Not because it's a good game, but because it is an entertaining game with enough mechanisms to feel like you've actually done something with your time. It is very swingy, it's a dice fest and it can be over long (play the long game at your peril), but it absolutely and totally nails the narrative of the show. Your ludus will have swings of fate. You'll have gladiators that you adore for hours, then sell at the drop of a hat when the opportunity arises. You'll make deals, you'll stab backs and you'll act like a scheming prick. Generally, I have a low tolerance for games that have too much randomness, but this one ties it all together with a deft hand and puts a lot of game in the box. It's a guilty pleasure, but, like Risk Legacy, does enough to mitigate the swingy mechanisms to make an interesting and entertaining game. It's not a game to play with super grognardy types, but it is hugely entertaining.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
What a beautiful alignment of poor taste and an excess of money. Enjoy your good nearly-free games, amerigoons!

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Lord Frisk posted:

Edit for content: just because someone doesn't enjoy a thing you are single mindedly emphatic about does not give you license to act like an rear end. This applies to all things, but is doubly true for hobbies.

This is something awful, people need to expect a bit of gentle ribbing about their tastes/choices /appearances /opinions

The End fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 30, 2014

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Alright, I'll tone down my response, but the sentiment stands

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Get them coup instead

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Also good with 8:

Mascarade
Mayday Mayday
Ugg Tect

ambushsabre posted:

Is two player Lords of Waterdeep any good? I'm going to have the opportunity to play later tonight. What about 3?

It's rubbish with any player count. hth.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Schizoguy posted:

Coup with 10 players takes about twice as much time as Coup with 6, which still isn't much time at all.

It has to be much less strategic with that number though. With 5 of every card in the game, the amount of information players have is never going to be significant.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Someone should make a thematic game about Cormac McCarthy's The Road or Blood Meridian :getin:

Holy crap. A hundred times this.

Roll a d10 to not get eaten by cannibals/not get raped, scalped and murdered by commanche/carry the fire/not get raped and murdered by the judge.

In all seriousness though, both of those stories would be cool game fodder. As would No Country for Old Men.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I checked and it has some of the most votes amongst these games and it's a fraction as old. My assumption that it's not doing well might be incorrect but it could just be BGG selection bias. Source:https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thematic/browse/boardgame?sort=rank&rankobjecttype=family&rankobjectid=5496&rank=3#3

Comparing the reddit guild's rankings, it has much fewer votes there:http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/wiki/top_10/full_list

Could be localizations?

But the same overall rank. That list is actually really close to the main list. I wonder what an SA guild's list would look like. An SA guild on BGG might make goon rankings less tedious to collect and calculate. Also might give some weight to the quiet ones

I've got a bunch of geekgold from the latest pledge drive - I'll start one (Edit: Done - waiting for approval)

The End fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 5, 2015

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
BGG guild is live.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/2133

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Nitis posted:

TI is a great game, but I feel it's a stretch to call it a tactical combat game.

The plastic pieces on the table are a part of the metagame occurring as players are trying to score points. Depending on the available objectives, a player may engage fleets once or twice during a game, and engage in fleet maneuvering (posturing), But that's a smaller focus of the game, considering how difficult it is to really root out an entrenched opponent. Eliminating a player who doesn't want to go is very difficult, and time/resource consuming.

In fact, I don't' believe I've never seen a player who's solely focused on rolling dice ever win a game.

Try and find a group that plays regularly, and knows the rules, and you'll have a much more engaging experience.

Agreed

I'd be surprised to see a game of TI where a player was attacking more than a couple times per game. People are amassing fleets pretty much constantly, and to stay in the arms race you have to be very judicious about how you expend that fleet. Too many casualties, and you're ripe picking for the players who stayed out of combat and now have full fleets to bear on your weakened empire. Basically, you don't attack unless you have rock solid relationships with your neighbours, or have a sizeable production advantage that you can replenish casualties quicker than you take them.

EDIT: Regarding tactical combat games: Descent is pretty good by most accounts actually. If you don't mind scifi Level 7: Omega Protocol is awesome. Of course, you could always go for some full blown kriegspiel and get some war games.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Using the expansion objectives definitely makes TI3 more aggressive. The last game I played had some consistent combat, but it was cagey and limited until the end game, because noone wanted to be stuck defenceless before a major fleet

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bubble-T posted:

Dungeon Lords Anniversary arrived today :toot:

I don't know where I'm going to put the box, it's huge.

Mine has finally arrived in the country! :toot: (Australia)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

malkav11 posted:

Having received the latest Sentinels expansion today, Wrath of the Cosmos, I'd just like to clear up a popular misconception: A number of people here seem to believe that Adam Rebottaro, the artist for Greater Than Games, is incompetent and his (supposedly) lovely art is because he is not capable of doing better. (Personally, I like the art in Sentinels and think it's perfectly appropriate for the subject matter, but YMMV.) However, this expansion contains an environment deck called the Enclave of the Endlings and the art on this deck, still by Rebottaro, is as far as I can tell a spot-on emulation of Jack Kirby's art on various cosmic Marvel titles. So the style he normally uses on their games is clearly a deliberate choice.

So his art is lovely on purpose? idgi

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

echoMateria posted:

It is optional for a dying player to continue playing on the opposite side as an alien. It is an alternative to player elimination and I'm glad for it, but you can just not use it if you don't want.

I'd recommend getting Suburbia if you want Sim City the boardgame. You should grab the expansion too, it completes the game. I can't imagine playing without. Just play without it once, until you get the workings of the game. Afterwards, you can even introduce new people to the game with it, it's very light in complexity.

The expansion (at least here in Australia) is so drat expensive though. Like 3/4 the price of the game!

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Those are all valid observations, but despite all that, it is an engaging and interesting combination of WP and engine building. It's not the best in genre, but if you've already got a bunch of WP games, and need some more, it's worth a look. I'd say hunt down Carson City if you want a more directly adversarial WP game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
What Broken Loose said : anyone who thinks Dominion is skippable hasn't played enough Dominion. I know because had the same mistaken assumption, then played a bunch of Dominion and realised how wrong I was.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Played two new games today:

Imperial Settlers is a cute engine builder/tableau builder with a draft element. Great art and some nice opportunities for combos. It's not a super heavy euro, but a nice intro game. Would recommend.

Also played about 3/4 of a game of Kanban but had to leave before it was finished (with much regret) - that game is so brain burning - there are so many scoring mechanisms and combos at play. It's simultaneously elegant but also incredibly points salady. Very eager to play it again.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

Had a weird thought, what if you wanted to play monopoly but monopoly blows, so whats a good game that revolves around auction mechanics instead of just making deals on the sly like chinatown or lords of vegas?

If you don't mind a bit of trashiness, some randomness and gotchas, Spartacus is entertaining as hell. I won't go as far as saying it's a 'good game', but it delivers bombast and craziness by the spadeload, without being complete random monkey-cheese bullshit. And it has auctioning and stuff. It's also reasonably cheap!

EDIT: Otherwise, Power Grid is exactly what you've asked for. Like almost literally.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

QnoisX posted:

So maybe a bit off topic, but is there a way on BGG to combine the game collections of a few people into a master list? I'd like to have a list of games owned by my gaming group. Maybe be able to swap people in and out occasionally depending on who can show up? Mainly so if someone wants to play a certain game, they can look on the list and know who to ask to bring it.

Make a guild. There's programs that'll grab the data and let you sort via various filters and criteria.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The other line of thinking is sleeve nothing, as it's only treasure and victory cards that'll cop the most wear, and buying a base card replacement from time to time is muc cheaper than sleeving the whole shebang.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Azran posted:

Not really, just wondering because I only decided to get an actual boardgame that's better than Clue like a week or so ago, so I'm full of incredibly dumb questions - I don't even know if games like Catan are supposed to be good. I only know Carcassone is good because the OP says so - etc etc.

Thanks for the answers by the way. :)

The best advice I can give you is to ignore recommendations from SUSD (who have sadly lost the plot - recommendations from their first 'era' before they changed sites are generally good, however.), don't buy anything just because it 'looked fun on Tabletop with Wil Wheaton' because they frequently get poo poo wrong and are an entertainment medium first, consumer advice... never, and ignore everything Tom Vasel (and by extension, most of the regular Dice Tower crew) says about anything ever.

They may be popular, but this hobby is still in it's rising stage, and we're yet to find real critical voices that are consistent or at least not totally idiosyncratic.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
poo poo like that is why nerds can't have nice things.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

MildManeredManikin posted:

I suppose my post wasn't the best thought out, but I had fun posting it and isn't that what really matters?

IF you read it with some good friends and drunk, it's great fun!

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
For me, it's when they consistently started ragging on complex/heavy euro games whilst simultaneously hanging off the nuts of every short length social filler (probably due to a much more intensive schedule and bigger operation). Fair enough, they're big on theme and social games, but they're presenting themselves as a critical voice, yet they lack perspective due to their selectiveness. Less frequent output would give them time to sink their teeth into some substantial games and show more of the critical voice they had in the early videos. They started off celebrating and evangelising games they were really into, now they're just pumping out reviews.

Plus, as said before, they're not very funny when they're recording solo videos and Quinns showed himself to be an enormous sook with the whole Few Acres of Snow thing.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I resolutely don't want "objectivity" in reviews, because it's a fools errand. I do want critical evaluation - something that is present in their vids with both of them, most of the time. They could have been the Giant Bomb of tabletop games, a largely personality driven site, but they can't seem to hit that sweet spot.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The BGG facebook page is an even worse den of wide eyed neophytes, carebears and crotchety grognards.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I don't think anyone believes Tabletop is anything other than that, but what is notable is how much it influences sales - there is a very clear 'Tabletop effect' that is the result of people rushing out and buying the games he showcases on there. His show has provided a big bump for some very lovely games, as well as some good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
My flgs is smart enough to have the games tables in a separate part of the store