Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
This might be a long shot but I thought I'd ask. My girlfriend's mum is looking for something for Christmas for her son.

He's 19, a huge nerd (actually he's "that" kind of annoyingly smug, slightly condescending, Reddit-reading science student with 15 level 100 WoW characters or something) and is bright enough he can demolish those wooden puzzle games with relative ease. You know the ones, like where you have to rebuild a cube out of a selection of weirdly shaped tetrominoes. Rubiks cubes are easy for him as well. However, he also suffers from a constant headache, like if a 6/10 is a migraine he'll often have a 9/10 headache for days at a time, as such he finds it hard to concentrate on things for too long a time but a solid challenge can and does help distract him from the pain.

So, might there be a game with a solid puzzle element to it, short setup, that can be played solo as well as with others? He's easily grasped every game I've payed with him (Dominion, Catan, Pandemic: Contagion, Splendor, some others). Something currently available too.

Pandemic comes to mind, it easy enough to play the base game solo by just controlling 2 characters, but I am sure there are others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

I'm going to wade into this ~serious mechanics chat~ and just say I bought Kingdom Builder for my tablet. It's pretty good, if I didn't already know it was by DVX I probably would have guessed. Serously considering buying it for the table after Christmas.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Got Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Concordia for Christmas.

Played three games of Flash Point with the parents this evening, holy poo poo after half a bottle of cava my mum is a total alpha gamer.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

Skull: Surprise hit of the season. Its essentially a filler but we probably spent more time playing this than any other game. My brother bought this so I'm pleased to have ready access to this, but I may make a homebrew version for playing in a pub or with friends.

You can use a standard deck of cards for Skull by dealing everyone a black royal then three red numbers. Can use the unused royals as the mats you flip over to indicate a won challenge.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Here's the family collection so far, tell me what else to burn money on:

If you fancy filling the "Euro game about trading in the Mediterranean" niche I can recommend Concordia, and I suppose if you want to fill the "18xx" niche at the same time then Poseidon was very good the one time I played it (with a couple of older, really friendly 18xx veterans).

I probably need to expand my collection past gateway stuff as well, but I'm happy where my collection is at the moment.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Small steps, small steps...

That really is the key when playing modern board games with the older generation. I think the other thing is not to rapidly introduce new or more complex games, but instead let them get used to one game at a time. Yeah okay, you might end up playing nothing but Catan for a while, but once they know all it's rules and mechanics off by heart it'll be lot easier for the next step because the foundations are already there.

Edit: Speaking of Catan, I played it last night and something came up which I wasn't sure about.

Situation: Red and Blue have built roads than converge on an open building space. Red builds a Settlement. Can Blue then build a road on the other side of Red's settlement, or does the Red settlement effectively end the Blue road?

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 7, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Also: For teaching new people Dominion (base set only), should I stick to the reccomended bank in the rulebook, or is there a better suggested one?

The First Game set is pretty good, it has a good mix of cards to introduce Dominion's core mechanics but won't overwhelm.

Your next post about Dominion will be "Big Money wins everytime this game is rubbish". Then we will post about how Big Money is just a benchmark, and you will see the light.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Okay so who came up with the idea for today's Front Page?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

I got my parents to dip their toe into modern board-gaming with Avalon and TTR: Europe. Pandemic and Catan have got them hooked, almost every night after dinner my mum or dad will request to play a game.

We've played a lot of Pandemic and Catan recently so I might get them to try something else soon. Splendor most likely, I am sure they would like 7 Wonders but that would be a long first game.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Quick trip report from weekly board game meet.

Played Skull & Roses while I wolfed down some food (the pub where we meet does awesome burgers, and had a wonderfully silky pint of a stout called "Christmas Truce") which I enjoyed playing but being the first player eliminated only really served to reinforce my belief that I am terrible at bluffing games.

After that, got in on a 6-player game of Historia. I played this a few months ago and quite liked it, and having it played it again tonight I like it a little more. I didn't make so many terrible moves, there was only one that I properly cocked up but fortunately I was able to recover, and some of the finer strategies were more apparent this time. Due to time restraints and having to teach three newbies we only managed to play two of the three eras, but even by then the runaway leader problem I noticed last game was again obvious. The leader had 70 points with second place in the low 40s and the rest of us in the mid 30s. Getting the right set of wonders early on, and especially completeing the goals offered by your first era leader can really give you a massive boost in points. It might be something that evens out if you play with people who really know the game, but it really did feel that, after the first era where the leader had double of the points of the guy in second place, it really was just a race to not come last.

We also played with the Event deck this time, which is an event that applies to the whole table for that round. Holy Jesus some of these are brutal. We had a particuarly awful double-whammy of "Play any card, lose military." one round, followed by "Play any card, lose science." but overall I think they added a nice extra layer to the gameplay. All in all, Historia isn't a game I'd buy myself, it's a bit too complex for my regular crowd, but I'd happily play it again at the gaming meet.

When I got home I found out that my parents had played Catan without me. Two player Catan :stare:

They realised themselves why it doesn't really work two player (limited trading, too much space for each player etc.) and they both reached 10 points so quickly they played on until they ran out of roads. I'd better find a two-player variant for them to try I suppose. Friday night gaming tomorrow night with my parents anyway, I think it's time I tried something new with them so I'll break out Splendor I think and see how they like it.

Also, first glimpse of one of the new challenges from upcoming Pandemic: State of Emergency:

The one on the right, no flights allowed? :gonk:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Rexides posted:

The best thing about Ticket to Ride is just dropping your pieces on the board roughly in a sort of straight line, some of them laying on their sides, and watching the rest of the players rush in to "fix" them :allears:

Any board game where players have their own pieces triggers everyone's latent OCD.

Also, what Broken Loose said. Just loving buy Dominion.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

So, please tell me about proper strategy pro players of illegal street TTR use to get all the chicks.

From what admittedly little I've read of ~pro gamer~ tactics for TTR, the usual strategy at the World Championships (it's true, they exist, one guy even lost his prize after accusations of cheating arose after someone was watching it on a live stream and calculated a discrepancy between cards played and cards drawn) is to spend the first 20 turns or so just drawing cards. When you have half the loving deck in your hand you just go crazy laying trains.

For some slightly more amateur tactics, I can only really vouch for the European version, but there's really not that much to it. On the Europe board, the big 8-long tunnel from Petrograd to...somewhere cold, I can't remember...is worth so many points it can be worth going for even if it's not part of one of your routes. The longer routes (5 or 6 long) you should get as soon as possible, that way if you do have to take a detour it should only be shorter routes which are easier to get.

if you draw extra tickets late in the game make sure you actually have enough trains left to complete them.

Seriously though, it's not really a game worth overthinking unless you have a hyper-competitive grandma you often play it with or something. Draw pretty cards, argue whether it's "pink" or "lavender", put some trains down, piss everyone off when you put your trains down all wonky and not exactly inside the lines oh my god you loving bastard how hard is it to put your goddamn trains down straight

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

I really enjoy Concordia and reckon it's a really good game for those who have already dipped their toes into board gaming and want an expansion & resource management game that's deeper than Catan without any of the randomness. I played one game last year and liked it instantly, so much so my girlfriend got it me for Christmas. It's colourful, the board and the components are very nice, and like SU&SD said in their review of Kingdom Builder you get to do lots of placing little houses on the board which is really the most sexual feeling in board gaming. I also really like the double sided board, one side is Roman Italy for playing with 2-4 players, the other is the Roman Empire at it's largest extent (Britannia to Syria) and has an extra province (12 to Italy's 11) and more cities, designed for 3-5 players. It's a big reccomendation from me.

Played a couple of games with the parents again tonight. Introduced them to Splendor with the bait of "Play one game of this and can play Catan all you want."

Rules were understood right off the bat, we finished the game 17-16-16 with my mother laying down a big 4 pointer for her last card and snatching the win. They love it and really want to play it again soon.

Once they're settled with Splendor and ready for the next level I'll slam The 'Gric down on the table :smug:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

I really need to switch up my Splendor strategy because in the three games I've played with my parents since I introduced them to it they've thrashed me every game.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Board Game Thread Post of the Year 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Valiant Pudding posted:

So I've just tried Tales of the Arabian Nights with my girlfriend. We both like thematic and cooperative games. We also regularly enjoy pen and paper roleplay games (WHFB). This said, we were a bit underwhelmed by it. My SO had high hopes for the game, but everything seemed a bit disconnected. I had the feeling I wasn't really building an exciting story for my character, but just hopping from one encounter to the next. Except for some statuses, there's almost nothing that connects one encounter to the other. I'd like to try it again however, and see if it was just a one time thing, or the nature of the game. Maybe we're just a bit spoiled by our pnp roleplay stories.

If you're a regular PnP RPG player then Tales will feel rather random and disconnected and often without any of the freedom a true RPG offers since you have to choose one of several responses. Even then, your choice might not allow you to use what you would think is an appropriate skill: trying to pickpocket someone for example when you have Stealth & Stealing and the only skill choice ends up being Piety or something.

That said, I like it because is is a limited RPG. The past few years I haven't the time (or the friends sometimes :saddowns: ) to play regular PnP RPG sessions so Tales scratches the itch nicely. I'd never be able to get my parents or my girlfriend to play good ol' Dungeons & Dragons, but every so often I can bust out Tales, open a bottle of wine, and we can be adventurers or travelling musicians or devout preists for a couple of hours, laugh at each other's misfortune and narrow escapes. If at any point you've had enough just end the game there and then, or play on if you're enjoying it.

A few house rules I use to help streamline it:

Don't bother doing the whole "select your Story & Destiny points in secret" thing. The points are awarded pretty much at random so it's easier and quicker to just play to a combined total of 20.

If you're playing with just 2 or 3 people, you'll probably never make it through the whole Encounter deck in one game, so the Day/Dusk/Night thing will never progress. Advancing the marker when someone completes a quest has been better for us.

Some of the Status cards are too harsh really (Grief Stricken and Sex Changed come to mind), and I seem to remember a goon posting a list of easy house rules for them a while back, but I can't find it now :v:

Edit: Tales is for those evenings when the weekly D&D session has already been and gone, but you still want some roleplay action with the girlfriend :pervert:

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 13, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I ended one game in prison as an insane crystal snake. You can't even be mad if you lose with stuff like that.

This is the attitude you really need to enjoy Tales. It's not a game to play to win, it's more just about faffing about with magical animals and genies and seeing what kind of bizarre poo poo happens.

My most memorable game ended with me in the middle of the Sahara, crippled, wounded, lost, envious, enslaved, married (surely the same thing! :hurr: ) with my "treacherous siblings" quest still incomplete.

My girlfriend? Married to the son of the Sultan of Baghdad, vizier to the Sultan, the highest wealth level and still had the magic carpet.

I also like to pick three skills at random at the start of the game and decide character sex with a coin toss, then invent and play my character around what I get.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Played Catan using a deck of cards for the numbers instead of dice. I greatly preferred it.

Mum didn't. I quote, "There's less risk, the less probable numbers are more certain to come up so they're just as good as the 6s and 8s."

I tried to explain how probability works, but there's a reason my parents stopped asking what my maths homework was about when I was 10.

She still won though.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

When I played Historia last week at my gaming meet one player would often take 5 or 6 minutes to decide which card to play for the turn, after we had reminded him that the rest of us had all chosen our cards and were waiting for him.

He then told us he had to leave in 30 minutes and we had to "pick up the pace."

Slightly annoying, to say the least.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Terra Mystica seemed a good choice due to the weight of the box

Truly the best measure of a game.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Everyone please pledge to my upcoming Kickstarter for Zombies versus Homestucks: the Cthulhuing, to be released in a box cast from solid lead.

Is it a card drafting, set building, worker placement social interaction game with a hidden traitor, turn order bidding, lots of dice rolling (preferably odd shapes, like d7s) with strong roleplay, deck-building and variable setup?

If so, game of the year 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Gimnbo posted:

For some reason I read something as "dice-building" and I'm imagining a game where you buy numbers to stick onto a die.

Blueprints is a dice-building game :haw:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

My FLGS gave me a student discount even though technically I wasn't allowed (I had to be a member of the other university's gaming club, I wasn't even a member of my own uni's gaming club) and I still get it even though I finished uni in June. If I buy multiple packs of card sleeves I get one free, the owner always insists on hearing how my gaming's going, what I've played, what I don't like about certain games etc. I go in just for a browse and I spend like 20 minutes just talking about games.

Shop's nice and open, well lit and clean. Sometimes I've ended up going in during Friday Night Magic and it always seems pleasant. The usual mix of stupid facial hair, fedora wearing adolescent MtG bronies and Pokemon playing man-children are there but I've never seen or heard about any fights, arguments or drama, any of that FLGS horror story stuff.

Before I got my current job that's thankfully kept me in the area, I joked with the owner that because I was job searching I might be moving away from the area. He said he'd have to relocate the store to wherever I ended up :3:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Trip report from last night's gaming meet:

Started off with 2-player Gloom. Played this a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it, but not enough to buy it. Lost by a narrow margin as one of my family was killed off early with a card that reset all the modifiers to 0 and had a couple of turns I had to pass on because there was literally nothing I could play that would benefit me or hinder the other player. I like the story-telling aspect of it but it reminded me of Munchkin in some rsepects, with every single card being different and a lot of that "No, gently caress YOU." gameplay.

Watched a group set-up and play Battle at Kemble's Cascade while I had my dinner. I say play, in the time it took me to eat my burger and finish my pint the guy hadn't finished explaining the rules, definitely seemed like this was the first time he'd set the game up (we set up Caverna quicker than he set up Kemble's) and his rules explanation was basically him just reading the rulebook verbatim. He seemed to be in a genuine panic, flicking through the rulebook like crazy and visibly sweating :gonk:

4-player Caverna thankfully rescued me. 3 of us were new players, took 3 hours in total with a couple of breaks to get drinks etc. Got my dwarves out adventuring early, but lost momentum towards the middle and had to spend a few turns consolidating my food production and making my empty board spaces useful. Managed to grab points in the final few rounds but I was too far behind by then and did unfortunately come in last. Not that fussed though, was my first game and the sheer variety of available actions and rooms was just bewildering. I took me several games of Agricola for me to really like it so I figure it's the same for Caverna. I think I slightly prefer the more stressful nature of The 'Gric though. Feeding my dwarves in Caverna just felt like a neccesary nuisance, in Agricola I find it really rewarding to get the farm's food production to that self-sufficient stage. Would definitely play again though.

Finished off with a 2-player game of Pandemic. One of the guys we played Caverna with had bought it for Christmas for him and his wife and wanted to play it at the game night first before teaching his wife. Since Pandemic is a favourite of mine I walked him through the setup and the turn structure. Got Scientist and Operations Expert as roles, a bit of an odd pair really, and we lost when the Delhi/Kolkata area went crazy with chain outbreaks. Still, he really enjoyed it was very thankful to be taught the game.

Overall a very enjoyable night, would have been 10/10 A++ would game again but when discussing similarities between Caverna and Agricola, the game owner kept calling it "Agree-cola" and that just really bugged me.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 16, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

My first and only game so far of Caverna ended with me on 55 points and my opponent had 45 or so. Just wondering how those scores were for new players who barely knew the rules and only picked up buildings at the end, so no minmaxing of any kind took place.

Last night the scores for us first timers where 42, 55 and 62. The owner of the game got a round 100 points.

Myself and the 55-pointer were floundering around a bit in the sea of options and didn't manage a clear strategy, 62 kept his food running on the wire but built a load of ruby mines and pretty much had the entire stack of rubies to himself. Winner went in hard with adventuring dorfs and just kept raking it in.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

My girlfriend's brother has been going on about the XCOM board game for ages now, and since my FLGS is taking pre-orders for it I thought I'd pick up a copy for him as a "getting out of hospital" gift. Can't say I'm surprised he's interested in it, he's pretty much surgically attached to his iPad so the whole app thing is a big attraction.

Reviews seems mixed, some say that under all the theme and the app gimmick, it's just a push-your-luck dice roller. Other say that while it is just that, the tension, theme and the fact that the app does all the book-keeping for you makes it a good game. Any goon opinions?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

When I unwrapped Concordia on Christmas Day my aunt said "Is that one of your daft games then?"

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I mean, the answer is always yes, of course!

Trading wine, tools and cloth across the glorious expanse of the Roman Empire and making vast sums of money in the process is no "daft game" good sir. :colbert:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I had the same kind of issue, my mother didn't get me anything off my Christmas list as it was: "A bunch of toys" So I got socks and cash. The socks are great and guess what I spent the cash on?

Catan, Pandemic and more recently Splendor have shattered that image of board games my parents had. I got home last night after my gaming evening at the pub to find my parents had played 3 games of Splendor in a row, we spent 30 minutes discussed strategy.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Jedit posted:

When she unwrapped the bottle of vodka, did you say "Is that one of your breakfast menu items then?"

I gave her the stone-cold death stare of a nerd whose 100% super serious totally adult hobby of putting little wooden houses on a board of anicent Rome and trading little cardboard coins has just been slandered in the most brutal, heart-breaking way.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Ancient Rome... I really want a Rome themed board game (since between the history of Rome podcast and total war rome 2 I've been on a huge roman kick), any recommendations on that theme alone? I'd prefer something not too crunchy, but I'm open to pretty much any type of board game.

Murder, sleeze, schemes and gladiators: Spartacus

Trading goods and making loads of money: Concordia

Thats about the limit of my experience :shrug:

Board Game Thread 2015: "Oh, like those games Sheldon plays?"

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

T-Bone posted:

speaking of Dominion my mom beat me in it yesterday and talked a bunch of poo poo then ordered Intrigue

Your mum is the best.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What are some thoughts on One Night Ultimate Werewolf? I'm going to play it on Friday with around 8 players, is it just going to be garbage?

I've found ONUW not very exciting and really just a big logic puzzle. If you have someone who knows the different roles well and/or is good at deduction they'll just work through the logic and figure out who the werewolves are. Short play time (what, 3 minutes a game?) means you can play as much or as little as you want. And you can get a narrator app where the guy sounds like George Takei.

I much prefer The Resistance/Avalon, it just felt like I got more monies worth. It entertains for longer, has more interactivity and has more freedom to let you lie through your teeth and turn your friends against each other. I feel that in ONUW everyone at the table has to know what every role does if they're going to lie convincingly, in Avalon at least people only have to be comfortable with what their own role does which to start with can be as simple as "good guy" or "bad guy".

Get The Resistance / Avalon is my two pennies.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

I suddenly want a Horus Heresy re-theme of Skull with artwork for six (or maybe all nine) of the traitor legions instead of the biker gang/tribal theme.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

The very definition of "randumb"

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Regarding XCOM: The Board Game.

My girlfriend's brother is a big fan of the computer game, and he's pretty much surgically attached to his iPad so he went crazy when the board game was announced. I've pre-ordered a copy for him.

The more cynical reviews basically say it's half drawing cards and deciding whether to discard them or play them (so they can be used/researched whatever) and half a push-your-luck dice roller, where you then assign the dice to whatever card you want to advance (so any dice showing Research and be put onto whatever the current Research card is etc.).

I downloaded the PC version of the app to have a play with it but without the game infront of me it doesn't make much sense. All the card choosing and dice rolling is done against the clock but I can't tell what the penalty is if you go over your time. If you play as the Communications Officer, the guy with the iPad, it seems that you don't really play...anything. You're just there as a glorified Dungeon Master to shout out what's happening and place some UFOs on the board when they get spotted.

I have a feeling that it'll be one of those games like Firefly, where people who are real fans of the source material will be able to easily immerse themselves in it and enjoy it regardless of mechanical flaws. I'm looking forward to playing it, but I'm going in with low expectations.

In a more positive note, last night's gaming meet was very enjoyable, got in a game each of Roll for the Galaxy and Viticulture.

The owner of Roll for the Galaxy gave a pretty awkward rule explanation, he'd only got the game a couple of hours before the meet, and at first I didn't really grasp how to assign my dice to the various actions. After a couple of rounds though (and some assistance from a spectator) it clicked and I started to really enjoy the game. I was lucky with the tiles I built/settled as they all gave some bonus to consumption, so I was able to keep producing goods and consuming them to keep racking up the points. I would happily play again and it'll certainly go onto my wishlist, but I don't have a niche for it my collection right now.

Viticulture I thought was exceptional and easily one of the best games I've played since I started going to these weekly gaming nights last October. I won't say too much because it'll just be me gushing about it but I thought everything just worked together beautifully. I managed to come second, with my last two workers I could have finished one point behind the leader, had I drawn a wine order I could have fulfilled it right away with my last guy. Again, this is definitely going on my wishlist.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 23, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

My goal over the next couple of months is to try and ween my parents off Catan. My dad enjoys it but he's not that fussed by it, he's ready to move on to something with less luck and more meaningful decisions involved. My mum loving loves Catan to the point where anytime anyone asks "Shall we play something?" she insists on Catan.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that she wins two out of every three games of Catan we play. It's not saying much but I think Catan is much improved by using a deck of cards instead of dice to determine the numbers, but she hates playing with the deck. Even when I point out that when using the deck no-one EVER complains about resources or the robber coming up too often or too little she quips "But I like rolling dice." and refuses to play with the deck.

I'm wondering what to teach them next really. Out of my current collection I was thinking of trying Concordia or Agricola. I know the Cities & Knights expansion for Catan would give a...well, "deeper" game but I only really want to do that as a last resort.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

When Caverna is brought up most places I read about games (here, reddit, bgg, susd, etc), it seems to be met with a lot of arguments about how Agricola is superior due to tension, such that Caverna isn't worth playing over it or perhaps even owning if you have the O.G. farmer game.

As Poopy Palpy said they're both very good games and have enough differences that you can have both.

Agricola is stressful, you're always wobbling on the starvation line, and because it uses the cards every game is different. It's really about making do with what you have and trying to be as efficient with your actions as possible.

Caverna to me wasn't stressful, but still offers a lot of variety. The cards are just replaced with so many things to do or build there's no way you can do them all in just a few games. You can have whatever you want, but the key is finding that past of least resistance and most points through the myriad of options.

I slightly perfer Agricola, but I wouldn't turn down a game of Caverna if invited to one.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Merauder posted:

So I've had a chance to get in a couple games of Scoville since I picked it up earlier this week and have really enjoyed it, and figure I'd do a run down of the game.

:words:

tl;dr: Light-to-mid weight strategy game with a fun theme, and awesome components. Early turns can be a little brainless, but it gets more and more complex as the game progresses. Definitely recommend!

I got my own copy of Scoville to the table last night, initially only my dad wanted to play, then just as I finished the 2-player setup my mum comes in saying "Oh no actually I will play."

You've given a run down of the game so I won't repeat, but your conclusion is spot on. My mother found it a bit too intensive and that there was "too many things to think about". I wouldn't give that assessment too much credit though, she always makes comments like that after learning a new game and really she dealt with the game just fine. She's quite prone to AP so I think she made a rod for her own back by trying to really crunch the numbers on the best planting and harvesting spots. My dad really enjoyed it and would like to play again, we've played so much Catan recently he liked playing a game that has basically no luck component.

Our scores were quite close, my dad got 79, me 78 and mum 72.

My only gripe would be that the chilli recipe cards really should use the whole card face. As they are half of the card is taken up with the word "RECIPE" with the name of the chilli and the neccesary peppers crammed into the other half of the card. If the cards are on the far side of the table from you it's not easy to see the different colours you need. I think it's pretty redundant as the card backs all say "RECIPE" on them anyway, and once you complete a recipe it's not like you ever need to refer to it again. The money tokens are awkward to handle as well because they're so drat small, the coin sizes in 7 Wonders or Concordia are preferable. Scoville's are tiny in comparison.

All in all, it's colourful, fun, the components are gorgeous. There's enough meat to it that those who like to really think about their turns can do so, but it's also forgiving enough I think that you can take things a turn at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

disperse posted:

excess food gets eaten at every harvest

Board Game Thread 5e: My Agricola family is obese