Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I really would recommend El Grande as an exactly 5 player game. It doesn't expand past that but it is much better than the typical 4-player w/ a barely play tested expansion set experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'd want to put a definition of area-control games into the OP, but the only two I have experience with is El Grande and Tammany Hall. Still a good game that demonstrates the flexibility of meeples without the cold brutality of Agricola.

Ladies & Gentlemen deserves a shout out for being good at the under-served "Games for multiple couples and/or large pansexual swinger groups" versus crap like Cranium, Pictionary, et al.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Jabor posted:

I'm always confused when someone brings this as somehow being complicated, because it's literally the opposite. Like, you can literally just put the cards on top of each other as you play them (and then one-at-a-time into the graveyard as they actually take effect), it's dead simple.

It actually isn't once you get beyond "the stack", and instead get into the resulting state-based-effects when things go into and out of each zone which triggers each and every other zone. 613.1, regarding Layers, is actually something you have to memorize if you want to judge events.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I played Arkham Horror for the first time with friends and it was enjoyable solely because I was playing with friends and the guy who owned the game was willing to let us be purposefully fuzzy on the turn order to "beat the game" and we got lucky more than a few times with the timing of the decks.

I think I could backwards-engineer a good game to meet the same expectations, but it would involve me setting upon the rulebook with a hatchet. Its a conversation-piece beer-and-pretzel game and is really only challenging if you don't know how to subtly quarterback / receive the team to victory.