Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

unpronounceable posted:

When people don't write FLGS in caps, I occasionally forget that it means Friendly Local Game Store, and can't decide whether it's a typo for flags or flogs.

Miniature market is another good site for discount board games that I think might warrant being in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Is Glen More still out of print? We love our copy. We pimped it out with custom barrels (they look more polished in person) https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/barrel as well as animeeples/veggimeeples, and it's even better.

Yes it is still out of print. I have been watching for it, believe me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Probably not OP material, but I found it on SU&SD's site and thought it was fitting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

I will be too, as soon as they start. :rimshot:

Yeah, that X-Wing game, what a dud.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Timett posted:

That would have been the easy way to do it but I decided to search all over town for restaurants with drink coasters and drew on them. I think it turned it pretty good considering my lack of artistic talent.

I find the coasters too annoying to hold so I made a deck out of dollar store playing cards and Staples address labels with the original art printed on them. It's tiny (compared to the coasters) and can get trashed at bars or wherever and I don't much care.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Live anywhere near central Illinois?

Free on February 6-8?

Want to play some games and maybe win some auction items?

Why not stop by Winter War 42?

$15 for the weekend plus $2 per event you play in.

Board games are on the schedule, but there is lots of free play time available for pick up games.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 9, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Dungeon Lords Anniversary arrived today :toot:

I don't know where I'm going to put the box, it's huge.

what country are you in?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Hey, guys, remember when we all played that card game where we pretended we were edgy and cool and said stuff about farting and shoving things up our bums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP0uDT7cQ50

And suddenly the games sales go up 5000%

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zveroboy posted:

When I unwrapped Concordia on Christmas Day my aunt said "Is that one of your daft games then?"

I had the same kind of issue, my mother didn't get me anything off my Christmas list as it was: "A bunch of toys" So I got socks and cash. The socks are great and guess what I spent the cash on?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Well that's the thing, isn't it. The game has mechanism that promote the fact that you should not care about the health of your pets as long as they make you money (or, in this case, renown). I guess it pretty accurately reflects the true nature of for-profit pet shops, but it is a theme that some will find distasteful.

It's a pet-shop full of monsters run by imps. I think it's less about "the true nature of for-profit pet shops" and more about how goblinoid culture is cruel and terrible. They are the bad guys, making horrible beasts to populate a villains dungeon after all.

I don't cry for my lost troops in a war game, I'm not going to lose sleep over a sad Fiery Fairy.

That said, if it's not your cup of tea so be it.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 16, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

drat it and after putting together my own little version with metal coins and stuff :sigh:

Bah, our homemade versions are probably going to be better than the re-boot. People love the components I made for mine.

E: Are we sure it's the same game? The cover art isn't reminiscent of the game play, the name is different and I can't find any further details.

And answered:

Crackbone posted:

It's not a reprint. It's a new game using the same role selection design as witches brew.

I wonder if it will be as good as Witches Brew?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 23, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Meanwhile in the US still waiting for the "stuck in customs for a month" Kickstarter shipment of this

:smith::respek::smith:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Only if you pronounce it "Arr kih peh LAH go".

Arch-uh-pell-AH-go

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think it would be "the 'Pel"

Slavery the game?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

silvergoose posted:

No, that's Freedom.

:downsrim:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Man, I'd just be happy with a good straight American football boardgame.

Your wish is granted

Could be

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 27, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I actually address this in the manual by saying, "Haven't you ever watched anime before?"

No I have not.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The concept of shouting stupid Engrish attack names and stupid Engrish combination phrases is independent of the amount of people doing the shouting.

Even as a non-anime watcher I can appreciate what you've made. It may not be precisely my cup of tea but I'd give it a go if it landed on my group's table.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Tried out some new games yesterday, so I may as well give them a writeup.

Epic Spellswars Of Too many Words And Look, a skull : It never ended, it's one of the few games I've just left midway through because I was so done and it just wouldn't, ever, end. I mean, looking at it you'd think it could be a cute way to spend 30 minutes, the art's nice and the mechanics are simple but it just never ends. I don't know how long we were there, but I left after my 4th round and when I came back to that table they were still playing even with someone deliberately trying to just end the game. Good lord. Also dicerolling and player elimination. Dripping with theme. In all fairness, the guy who brought it said he was looking forwards to Exploding Cats so that should've been a pretty big warning sign.

Shadow Hunters Also I think they had the expansion? : Probably worse than Epic Spellwars? You just roll dice, there's about as many decisions to be made as Monopoly and amazingly the gameboards uglier than monopoly too. I was a hunter and just randomly hit someone who immediately kicked up such a fuss that I knew they were the shadow. They were. Roll to move, roll to attack, roll dice and get some cards and apparently 4 people out of the 6 playing won. Yawn. Also, player elimination and dices. Goddamn.

I also played good games but I don't think Tash Kalar needs any more praise. Tash is good.

e: also how's eclipse someone brought it but it didn't get played and I wanted to try it.

I played Epic Spell Wars last night as well. It is an enjoyable light game provided you play with 3-5 players maximum because it will often take one more round of play than players in the game and six rounds is the absolute longest that game can be played and not turn into a huge grind. I'd say four is ideal, but yeah, player elimination is a bit crappy if someone is blown out early.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I think we were playing with 6 which might be the maximum cap? And I'm pretty sure everyone got to be last wizard once so the game really did run on to its match point. I still liked it more than Shadow Hunters at least.

Yes it's first to 2 victories and if everybody gets 1 victory (which seems to happen quite often) the game is [number of players] +1 rounds long, which why 4 is optimal. 4 players gives the "player on the left", "player on the right" mechanics room to breathe while only obligating you to play 5 rounds at most. The game is OK, but not terribly fun at 2 players since every single attack hits your one and only foe. Part of the charm of the game is when a spell hits an unintended target because someone you weren't aiming for became strongest or weakest during the round of play.

All in all not a great game but an A- or B+ light game that can be enjoyable with a table of players that aren't wet blankets, especially if you require players to dramatically read their spells aloud in their wizard's voice.

This guy tends to invite laughter when you bellow out a spell using a voice that befits him.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

It's the thing you'll have to suffer through at a birthday party instead of Cards Against Humanity, and your only consolation is that there are effectively infinite tacos available to fill the void where gameplay used to be is player elimination so you can bail out by playing "badly".

e: Based on a true story

FTFY

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

zandert33 posted:

Even though people talk about how horrible BGG is, I for the most part don't care too much. I'm able to find what I need most of the time, so it works for me. I fear any tweaking to the site is going to result in an even bigger mess, I don't have much trust in the developers of the site after looking at this survey.

If your survey takes too long and people give up part way through (like I did) it is a bad survey.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lorini posted:

More on Lagoon: I think it's too easy to break. As soon as one energy looks at all like it'll be the scoring one then everyone will just run to that one. I just don't think it's well designed.

That is the primary reason I don't back Kick Starter games anymore. If it is a good game it will prove itself over time and I can likely buy it from CSI or MM at a better price than the KS anyway. Sad but true.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Wrong thread

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I listened to the latest SU&SD podcast on my ride into work and it dawned on me that when Quinns says "It was hilarious" in reference to a game they played it if his synonym for "It was fun" as the reason (thing) was hilarious was due to the people he was playing with and typically not the game itself.

Nothing earth shattering, I will now tend to discount any game that SU&SD recommends because anything about it was "hilarious".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Any thoughts on Sheriff of Nottingham? I like what I see, but I wonder how it holds up over repeated plays?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Medium Style posted:

I'd also like to hear from goons about this game. This was recommended to be because I like bluffing/deduction games, but it looks to me like there's next to zero in-game information for the sheriff to work out who might be lying. It's mostly just on a hunch, or on who is acting suspicious. It also seems like the best way to score points is to ignore contraband completely and just go for sets of legal goods. I would worry that those two things would drive the bluffing/deduction out of the game after several plays.

My worry exactly. Even on the Tabletop episode the winner took 1st place with only one piece of contraband and instead they focused on being the "King" of various legal goods.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Boardgoons posted:

Sheriff of Nottingham chat

So not a bad game if I can get it for around $20.

Thanks!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

e: nevermind, my tash-kalar is shipping today!!! finally

When buying tash-kalar I should look for the CGE logo to get the new version, correct?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are the best dexterity games? Crokinole, Catacombs, ..?

Bamboleo

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Jenga :colbert:

:eyepop: Holy poo poo that's awesome I need a copy of that game

I just snagged one off eBay, it is straight up amazing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

snuff posted:

Man why can't boardgamers just be normal people, this hobby is making me feel dirty and shameful.

Because a boardgamers lack of personality and social skills can totally be plastered-over if they just use references, memes, and make horrible jokes too loudly, because that what popular people do right? They bellow things that are "funny"?

(To be fare this is a some boardgamers comment)

#NotAllBoardGamers

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If I'm playing a board game and someone is gross and doesn't shower I'll call them out on it. Holy poo poo BO I can't stand it makes me queasy. Plus unless other people call others out the hobby won't get past that kind of mass image of the gross greasy smelly nerd

You can't do that! What about the 5 Geek Fallacies?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lorini posted:

Great (short!) video review of Argent: the Consortium. I hope this guy continues to review games like this.

Will play if it shows up at game night, but it will have to wow me to make it a must buy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

MadWOPR posted:

Is Dominion a must buy for every collection? I feel like it is, but I've never played it.

Do you not hate deck building? Do you have no problem owning hundreds of cards worth of expansions?

Then yes. Otherwise, no.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Somehow I missed the Superfight! Kickstarter and wow am I not upset by this fact.

Apparently there is a booster in the "play" themed Lootcrate this month which is how I found out about it.

Look at this thing I dare you to make it through the whole thing. (Yes this is just a Youtuber and not an official video from the developer, but still, ugh) Skip to 10:19 for exciting real game play!

Make a lol-random hero, then argue about who would win in a fight. Sounds totally great!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Huntsekker posted:

So I have quite a few board games that I need to sell, but I have no idea how to recoup any of my money on them. It seems like places like Coolstuff and Amazon already drive the price down, and shipping something like, say mage wars seems prohibitively expensive. What do you guys do when you sell off your board games?

You can get lucky on Craigslist from time to time. Or look for local gaming groups at universities or meet ups. Or possibly eBay.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

Are you referring to EPIC SPELL WARS OF THE BATTLE WIZARDS: DUEL AT MT. SKULLZFYRE? Because you have to say the whole thing, accompanied by a bitching guitar shred.

And yes, it's pretty poo poo. The one time I played it, I beat the person who was teaching me mostly by spamming Wild Magic (which only lets you play the top card of the deck at your opponent without seeing it first; an ability that is literally useless since you would have drawn that card anyways if you hadn't drawn the Wild Magic). The entire time my opponent kept complaining about his lack of good draws (apparently he kept getting hands full of Deliveries with no Sources or Qualities), and the lack of any discard/redraw mechanic.

When it was done, I politely thanked him for showing it to me and got up, and he said 'No wait, we're supposed to play in a series of games to determine the real winner." :catstare:

It would have gone better if they knew the rules. That isn't how wild magic works. ESWOTBWDAMS is a dopey game that should only ever have four players and be played among friends. The game ends when you have all had enough, not the actual win condition.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, I just got mine this week and I can't really be salty about that deal. It was customs, not a monster screw-up like Two Rooms and a Boom's continuing parade of delays. Plus there's KS-upgraded components that are really nice.

I'm feeling a tiny bit of remorse over paying $25 for glass cubes, some cards, and a battle board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Any tips on learning/teaching Dungeon Petz so that it plays smoother the first time?