Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Broken Loose posted:

Falling (and Falling 2014, the new edition that just came out) is a real-time game where you're falling and you're doing whatever you can to outlive your opponents.

This sounds interesting and I haven't heard of it before, can you let me know a little bit more about it? Why is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

This sounds super cool and as soon as I can find somewhere in Europe that sells it I'm getting it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

Any UK people been to the Draughts cafe yet? Thinking of going over the festive period, and I've checked when its open, but interested in knowing if there's a need to get there early or any thoughts to what it is like.

I haven't yet, but I'm probably going to. I seem to remember Tekopo mentioning in the last thread it wasn't all that good but I don't remember if that was from experience or a review.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

I hadn't realised they weren't open on weekdays to be honest. But yeah, it's beyond the point: when the choice is a free venue in the center of London or a venue that you have to pay for that isn't close to a tube station, there isn't really much choice involved.

I've just had a look at their selection on their website: 10 different versions of Munchkin and no Space Alert.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

Space Alert strikes me as not a great game to play in a cafe full of other people. You either can't hear the soundtrack for the other people or your game is drowning out others. Yeah it might be possible to find a balance, but does the venue provide the means to play the CD? Sounds best to just let one game go then have staff manage sound disputes.

Yeah their selection actually looks pretty good even though you can describe it like that.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

The extra Pets don't create this issue, but they are extremely fiddly to use because they have extra rules. As well as that, they are a lot harder to keep and can potentially destroy your shop (some of them, anyway) if you don't look after them properly.

How can I not get this game to the table

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Obviously it's up to you but I find that the fun is in losing horribly because you didn't quite make it to the gun in time/looking out of the window because you thought you'd dealt with everything/general incompetence as opposed to losing horribly because one guy played a red arrow instead of a blue and spent the whole mission wandering through the ship pressing buttons at random. If you don't use the trip rule, at least a few missions will be completely wasted because of it.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've certainly played with people who go "So you told me this was blue so you want me to...discard it? Right? Play it? Discard it? Discard it."

like, every turn.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I was sort of leaning towards suburbia just because I want to build a drat city in a board game. But I guess I rarely play many games 2p as we are already pretty set for those.

Seriously though I just want to play simcity the board game. I guess a 4x might be better for that though.

I do quite like suburbia - my buddy got it for his birthday a few days ago and I've played it four times since then. It does have a very sim city vibe where you have to build up your city, carefully separating the industrial sectors from the residential areas, and at the end you can look at each player's city with their distinct character (I am still confused how one lovely residential suburb with multiple excellent schools lost to the airport full of lakes).

It does have some pretty funny flavour too, which you'll notice the first time you can't get planning permission for your office building because the borough to the west just built a lake.

When you play it put the sim city music on in the background.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Zveroboy posted:

Situation: Red and Blue have built roads than converge on an open building space. Red builds a Settlement. Can Blue then build a road on the other side of Red's settlement, or does the Red settlement effectively end the Blue road?

You can build a road through a settlement.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Now I've got a craving to play the 'minion.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Azran posted:

I tried to get Arctic Scavengers but a) it is like $79.99 and b) it doesn't ship to my country. :( Same thing with Tales of the Arabian Knights.

Which country? I may be able to sell you mine.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It depends on the particular card - Moat only asks you to reveal it, whereas something like Beggars you have to discard.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Anyone got any good ideas for the make-your-own leader in 7 Wonders?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Poopy Palpy posted:

Semiramis gets a reprint with a power in Cities, she gets one shield for every defeat token. Before that, I kind of liked the fan power that said if she won combat against both neighbors, she gets a third victory token. Mostly because the game comes with 8 tokens for each age and you can otherwise only use 7.

Ah I have Cities and I hadn't realised it was the same person.

The extra victory token seems interesting, it might make investing in military more viable.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Probad posted:

Maximum enjoyment demands compressing as many turns as possible into as little time as possible. Remember that your friends and family are only ever obstacles to that goal. Do not be ashamed to use passive-aggressive gimmicks like timers if direct verbal confrontation fails to generate immediate, correct actions.

I can't tell if you've never had an AP prone person in your group, or if you're the slow one.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Tekopo posted:

No, that's just one example, because the Lich dislikes suffering too. He likes Magic and 3x (different coloured) Sickness: if you put two sickness, you get 6 score, if you put 3, you get 9 (but 2 suffering), if you put 4 sickness you get 12 (and 3 total suffering). This is a situation where it is explicitly good to give your pets suffering.

Any buyer that has a 2x need can potentially have the same thing as well, because you only get one suffering but you get two points for it, overall net 1 point. Sure, it is strictly better to not give him the suffering at all, but if your choice is 1) a lower score without suffering or 2) a higher score with suffering, the optimal choice is 2.

If you care more about "points" than the wellbeing of your petz, well, you might just be history's greatest monster

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sim city is perfect for suburbia

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Lorini posted:

So sad about 2. Jeezus he only did about 1000 songs, guess his name??? drat.

In fairness Tchaikovsky is a hard name to remember

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm going to draughts, a board game cafe in London tomorrow. Anything in particular I should look out for to play, that's good in a "try it once but don't buy" kind of way?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think it was when they stopped sitting down and shutting up

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

Get there early. Between midday and 1 it started getting hard to see a free table.

Check the website for the list of games. For a business started on Kick starter, they have surprisingly little web presence. They have a blog, but only two posts since they started in November.

Eat a big breakfast.

Thanks for the tips, we got there at 11ish when it was about half empty, but filled up quick and about lunchtime I think you would have to wait for a table.

I did enjoy it a fair bit more than I was expecting - their selection was great and they had nice big tables with a kind of extra layer underneath to keep the boxes. It did get very loud towards the end of the day, all the walls are brick/concrete which I think amplified it.

Trip report:

We were there for about 9 hours, and played pandemic, Agricola, power grid and dominion. Pandemic and gric we were set up by a Canadian guy who really knew his stuff, which was great - I've played Agricola before but my friends hadn't, and he gave them a few pointers to get on the same level.

Power grid we were set up by someone who didn't seem to know the game as well as she thought - several pretty fundamental rules weren't explained correctly, and we had to restart after the first turn and a half because of it. She also told us the end/win condition incorrectly (first to power 17 cities rather than most cities powered when someone hits 17) which meant the game played out in what I have to assume was a very weird and wrong way.

Other than that I had a great time. Their food was okay but only really lunch stuff like sandwiches and snacks. If you're in London and it's not too hard to get to it's definitely worth a visit and I'll definitely be going back.

Presented without comment:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'd be up for it too if there's still spots

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Username is Aston, I'm in #boardgoons but I've played it before.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Broken Loose posted:

I find such behavior to be highly suspect, as it insinuates that the expansion content existed substantially in some form and was then removed, like Day 1 DLC.

But I thought you liked dominion?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bosushi! posted:

I hate this thread for the fact that it's turned me into the type of person who briefly considered making an effort post to explain what is wrong with this game.

Well me and my friends have fun with it so it can't be that bad

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

bobvonunheil posted:

barrelling down the M25

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I haven't played it but I think dungeon lords is kind of like that, with the additions of 1: you choose spaces with face down cards so you don't know which order things have been chosen in until all workers have been placed and 2: it's not always the first person to a space who gets the best benefit.

Caverna also has a "take an already used space" space which I think costs some food to use.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

I visited Draughts again on a whim on Saturday. I got there at 11:15am and got the second to last table, and there was always a queue for tables from 11:30pm onwards. Consider that if you intend on going.

Huh, weirdly enough I was there at that time too. On a second impression, I still quite like it but it gets incredibly loud once it's full up. We were all feeling a bit hoarse at the end of the day, and I was in actual pain from having to read the rules, teach and then play Dominant Species.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I like boardgames and all but I can't understand how anyone could watch an hour+ unscripted video of top ten lists, no matter how well put together it was.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Poison Mushroom posted:

I can't wait to shout "Let's Final Combination" in an empty room and make the people I'm living with think I've gone crazy.

One of the stretch goals had better be a portable version you can play on the bus.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think I'm going to have to house rule your game Broken Loose

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Broken Loose posted:

waiting for the punchline....

Can't see any requirement that you all put your hands together in the middle and release on "Let's Final Combination!"

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

I was asked about any good football board games to which I said I'd never heard of any

Subbuteo?!?!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Noaloha posted:

Just been ambushed with the news that I am to go into town tomorrow to pick up a fun, two-player boardgame.

Outside of osmosis, I'm all-but-new to the tabletop boardgames scene (through circumstance moreso than choice -- never did find/seek a social group to get started in the hobby).

I see there're a couple of 2-player recs in the OP, both seem quite specific in their thing though (one wears its abstract qualities on its chest, one seems very 'serious' for all its plaudits).

I'll certainly keep both the OP recommendations in mind, but I was wondering if anyone might fancy dropping further names. To narrow things down as for myself and the other player, I'd be looking for something which has at least some immediacy, quick-ish to pick up and play. Don't mind complexity, as long as that complexity isn't right there on the surface. Thematically, I tend to skew away from stuff that feels cheesy or wacky or zany or, poo poo I dunno, if the game loudly exclaims "pirates versus ninjas versus zombies, awesome!" or uses 'epic' to describe itself in the internet usage sense, I'm gonna be put off. I'm not at all sure how well super serious wargames would go down with the other player, but I'm keeping it as an open possibility. Other than that, I guess not crazy expensive. Not crazy long playtime. Any ideas?

Or, crap, I could just ask "what are your personal 2-player game preferences?", and take any suggestions as the recommendations they are.

I'd add Dominion to the list. It does play up to 4 but I like it best with 2.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Do the pets, like, fight each other? No.

Oh my god this had better be the next expansion

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Puerto Rico is another one which doesn't make any sense to play solo, it's super interactive.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Oh, wow. I'm trying to imagine how sad that gaming group must be after reading a bunch of these. How has he rated so many games and yet he likes so few?

Party game is a pejorative, check. Also, he's played a '5' 20-30 times? Dayum!

Agricola the party game! :toot:

WAY too random and stupid to be played by adult brains. This sounds like the kind of thing a teenager would say.

Ok, let's check out this Yomi game..

:smith:

This is his only 9.

Sounds like he probably got schooled by someone who can "look ahead" and "clearly play" :smug:

Ahhh, this is all starting to make sense now..

I'd like to redact sharing any opinions with this guy's article and just go back to being the guy who's mildly apathetic towards Agricola

I think he might just not be very good at games.

Edit: wtf, he's a game designer?!

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

rchandra posted:

Do people still enjoy PR or am I many years too late to get use out of it?

I'm a big fan of Puerto Rico, it clicked for me much more than Race for the Galaxy.

I kind of want to make a fan expansion similar to the occupation/minor improvement cards in Agricola, but I'm sure I'll never actually get around to it.

Aston fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 26, 2015

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Jedit posted:

literally nothing about it is better than the original.

Perhaps you hadn't noticed, but in this game the tiles are triangles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The Narrator posted:

:doh: I have not remembered this so far. Fortunately most of the plays I've had have just been 2 player, but that's something I'll have to keep in mind for next time.

Just to be clear, it only goes to the person with the least VP in a four player game, as in a 2 or 3 player game there are 6 rounds and everyone goes twice.