Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pierzak posted:

I hear the new expansion is pretty bullshit.

I don't think they prettied it up at all, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jesus, reading people talking about Kemet without actually knowing what the game is about is like seeing a board game in a future sci-fi show/movie, where they just sort of mash together concepts and poo poo that they've heard about in board game and stuff.

"So I'm going to get the blue pyramid and start a prayer on my turn to combat your lower pyramid and get victory!"

"Well I sacrifice my Ra and attack your forces in a counterstrike!"

*flashing lasers and strobes*

Anyway I might be picking it up soon, I'll be going to Toronto for Christmas vacation, and they have a lot more stuff than where I currently live. Woooo more board games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So my workplace had a gift exchange. I am mentioning this because I got a copy of Monopoly. Vanilla-rear end monopoly. This is the first time I've ever owned the game in my entire life and I've never wanted to play it less.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I...uh...bought a couple things over the holidays:

The Brother Bastian thing is for a friend. Not pictured: Sushi Go, which I thought was Sushi Dice.

Took a backpack, luggage case, and another bag from the store to lug this stuff back to my city.

I played a single game of Galaxy Trucker at a cafe in Toronto, and knew immediately I had to have it. Played a few games of Contagion with my sister and brother in law, and had a decent amount of fun - I think it'd be good to bring in to play at work. I have a friend who enjoys King of Tokyo, so I think he'll be psyched for New York, and oh my poor wallet :(

Edit: feel a little bad about supporting the Coup guys now, given that awful Kickstarter quality poo poo...I'll have to remember to not give them any more money in the future.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

While at a board game cafe over the holiday, I managed to play some games I had been eyeing for a while (and some I hadn't). Just played with two people:

Galaxy Trucker: Played it, had a blast, immediately bought it afterwards.

Wasabi: Interesting sort of concept, with some sort of strategy there that I could see being fun to play with more people...but I can't really say I enjoyed it that much. Played it on a whim.

Kemet: Played this after people raved about it on here. Was actually considering buying it, but then I played it and now I'm glad I didn't. I did not like it at all. The complete imbalance in the tiles, the ability to know all the tiles pretty well before you can really enjoy any of the game...basically it got to the point where my opponent had a marauding army of 7 units and a mummy walking across the desert and there was nothing I knew of to do to stop him. He also held the 3 Attack, 3 Defense card (or something similar). I had no chance and realized I wasn't really having any fun (and neither was he) so we just stopped playing.

Dungeon Lords: Had fun with this one. Liked a lot of the mechanics, and was considering purchasing it, but already had way too many games to bring home with me (seriously, my backpack, luggage, and an extra large bag were filled to the brim with them). Will have to pick it up in the future. That or Dungeon Petz, which I didn't get a chance to play but would really like to.

Forbidden Desert: Kind of liked it as a light coop that didn't require as much thought or frantic planning from games like Space Alert or Pandemic. Some thinking required, but it's definitely in the intro-level category of coop games. Played some Forbidden Island with my family over the holiday as well, I think I preferred Desert though I'm not sure we played artifact placement totally correctly. Also we lost because I ran out of water one freakin' turn before we would've won. Stupid sun, always beating down.

Adventure Time Munchkin: Well...it's Munchkin. But there's something refreshing about playing a single deck of Munchkin that isn't filled to the brim with forty different loving expansions, that takes four hours to get through and is a giant pain in the rear end to reconcile like six different conflicting sets of rules as you're a Kung-fu Cultist with Cheese weapons, henchmen, minions, wtf ever, etc. Plus I like Adventure Time.

I think that was all of them. Played a shitload of boardgames, that's for sure, more than I have in a while.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lorini posted:

Also there are several reference sheets for Kemet at BGG. Print your favorite out for your players before playing. This will help a lot.

We had them. I just don't like having to pore over a list of stuff, trying to decide what to buy, especially since some are markedly better than others. I don't think I'd have fun if there were more players, either - its simply not a game that appeals to me, so I'm really glad I could play it first before I bought it on a whim.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

This is kind of a silly thing to get annoyed by, but I really dislike it when game boxes don't account for card sleeves. I like sleeving poo poo, but some games have boxes that are pretty much airtight for little to no reason - like, they have plastic inserts that take up all the additional space (that, I guess, I could throw away, but then I'd just have a bunch of cards and bits floating around the box). Sushi Go is one such game I want to sleeve, but there is no room to. King of New York, I'd like to sleeve, but the card well in the insert is tapered as it goes down, so while sleeved cards will fit at the top, they get kind of cramped at the bottom of the deck.

Then there are games like Pandemic Contagion, where there is barely enough room to fit everything in the box regularly, much less with sleeves. I feel like I'm playing Tetris every time I put the game away.

Damnit game makers, accommodate my crippling need to protect and organize my poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Whoever linked that Esoteric Order page, drat you, now I'm mentally planning out plans for Galaxy Trucker and Space Alert inserts, going to be drat hard to concentrate on anything else today.

T-Bone posted:

(Caverna? Agricola? Puerto Rico? Terra Mystica? Maybe El Grande or Princes of Florence?).

I recommend this. I played Terra Mystica over the holidays, and if not for the fact that getting my friends to play it would be tantamount to scaling Everest (getting people together for more than a couple hours is hard enough), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 6, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My friend has suggested we have a multi-day (a few hours a day, nothing more) session of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, with a lot of players. Is this a terrible idea y/n

For the record we do play some decently in-depth board games, but rarely anything that lasts more than a couple hours.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

exser posted:

Not only that, but at least for my group and I, the game is over before you know it, and oh poo poo it's 3am.

Yeah, we don't do that. I know I get a little antsy if I've been playing the same game for hours on end, so I wouldn't mind the break. At the very least, we'd start the game in the morning, play for a couple hours, take a lunch break, pick up the game again, and play until dinner or something. He expects us to take a while, and I've never played the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I made another box organizer, this time for Galaxy Trucker. I appreciate that CGE actually put in something for the purposes of box organization, but when I saw that it shared the same four-compartment divider as Space Alert, I knew something had to be done. Plus, the removable compartments for the tokens makes distribution so much easier, instead of reaching into a small plastic bag or grabbing it from a pile of bits.

What you see when you open the box. The boards are just a little smaller, so I put in a few 'walls' to hold them in place, and a notch (top) to reach in and pull them out.

The box, rotated around (so the notch is bottom now) to see the different wells. I kind of wanted to create a little removable shelf for the money tokens, but I was getting really frustrated with the tools I had and said gently caress it, and put them all in a bucket.I may make one to slot in in the future, depending how sick I get of reorganizing the space bucks during gameplay.

The trays for the various tokens used in gameplay are removable. Makes it a lot easier to pass around. Also, the trays for the energy pieces and alien crew members are a little raised, by about a centimeter or so.

The little wells for the starting tokens core pieces. I'm happy with how these turned out. In front of them you can see the round card - typically this would be on top of the deck of action cards, one of which you can see underneath (I haven't sleeved the rest of them yet, I just did that one for measurements).

The hourglass and dice wells. Not great.

I really need to invest in a t-square or, even better, a miter box. When all you have to work with is a razor blade and a ruler, things get a little annoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I dont mind people thinking about their turn, I only get annoyed when the waste useable downtime. Other players are going and they could spend that time to consider what they might do, but nope, when its their turn they are like "WHA HUH? Oh ok... what happened? Gee I dont know what I'm gonna do...."

:argh:

gently caress me, I played a round of games with someone who did just this. I think the games were 3012 and Last Will, both of which are sort of important to keep track of. But the guy would just constantly be like "Oh wait, what happened? Okay, what can I do?" and it bugged the gently caress out of the rest of us.

One big thing in board games that I wish designers would work around is when the actions on your turn are dependent on the cards you pick up at the beginning of your turn. Sounds kind of dumb, but it's so much better when you can draw at the end of your turn, checking out your options before it's your turn again, so you're not being presented with all possible choices on your turn. With games like Dominion, I guess that's sort of unavoidable, but from what I understand the turn-by-turn options available to you based on your deck are pretty simple to make, it's more about the overall strategy...though I think deck builders have you draw at the end of your turn? Been a while since I've played one.

But like, imagine if worker placement games, beforeyou chose your action, wiped the entire board and replaced all the options with new possible actions. You'd have to look over each one and check which are the best ones to take, which are the worst, which screw over your opponent more, and that'd take forever. Drawing a new hand of possible cards is the same.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

So this exists and is a thing is happening.

Note that $500 is the first tier that actually includes a copy of the game.

Just watched this episode yesterday, immediately thought about this thread as he discussed it. I want to see this played.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Actually, I wouldn't necessarily put it past Larry Roznai (the president of Mayfair Games). He has a notoriously dim view of board game kickstarters, as anyone who's attended his seminars at GTS will attest.

Specifically, he argues that Kickstarter hamstrings the relationship between the publisher and the brick-and-mortar. By his argument, a store isn't going to order the game through distribution if you already sold copies to their most enthusiastic customers, and your product/company won't be able to sustain itself through long term sales past the initial project.

This Kickstarter makes sense for his philosophy, actually. Mayfair's kicking a product that almost certainly has no future in distro/retail, so it's not putting them in competition with their client stores.

Oh no, won't someone please think of the poor middlemen. God forbid enthusiasts get to buy games directly from the people who make them!

Edit: My friends and I have become remarkably adept at learning games together - that is, we will crack open a new board game and learn to play it aswe read the rulebook. I've learned how to play Dungeon Lords, Galaxy Trucker (though Vlaada makes this easy), Yggdrasil, Pandemic, and countless other games with people despite us not knowing how to play at the start. Since we all don't know how to play, we're fine when we gently caress up because it's how we all think to play the game. Obviously it slows things down, but eh, I actually enjoy the process.

Crucial in this is stuff like a brightly marked SET UP and TURN PHASE thing, so we can step through each bit of the game. Don't know if we'd be able to get through a terrible rulebook like Robinson Crusoe's, though - there'd probably be some serious issues.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 14, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, you're right, gently caress game store owners.

Look, I don't dislike them as people, but when a job becomes obsolete, it's not up to the consumers to retard their practices so that others can stay in business. I feel the same about them as I would about milkmen when refrigeration was introduced. Do you feel sorry for Gamestop owners now that downloadable games are more popular? If you really want, you can just buy the game from the developer and then donate an extra percentage of that to your local gaming store.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Madmarker posted:

There is a large difference between Gamestop and the FLGS. The main one being the FLGS generally provides a space to play and try out games, and is a good location to find other gamers in the area. The thing is the job isn't obsolete, it is changing however, with more of a transition to Board Game and Nerd cafes/bars opening up. (In larger areas). And yes, I do feel sorry for someone when their livelihood goes away.....we aren't robots. It may have to happen, and it may be inevitable, but you do feel sorry for them (even people who run a gamestop).

Yeah, I still feel sorry for them. But if I can save $10 buy getting a game from a developer instead of a store, I'm going to go to the developer. Especially if it means bypassing a publisher. I hate publishers, though that's mostly a holdover from my video game media experience. Doesn't help that most of the stores in my area are stupidly overpriced, in some cases charging $20 extra for a game like Space Alert.

As for board game cafes, hell yes I am all over those. They provide a service I can not get anywhere else, namely the chance to play board games I may never play otherwise. I typically get the food at them, even if its overpriced, because don't want to be one of those jerks who pay $5 to get in and then stay for 8 hours without buying anything else.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

[a really good explanation]

Good stuff! Guess I never thought about it that way. Still, with Kickstarter doesn't that alleviate much of the problem? When you can guarantee X number of sales, and get money for it? Though I suppose that'd still be short term, but I'm not sure what kind of success kickstarter ventures get after the initial, uh, 'kick', as it were.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zveroboy posted:

Truly the best measure of a game.

If the box doesn't literally bend under the weight of all the pieces inside, which had better be wooden or steel blocks, then how fun can it really be?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

Would you describe your zombie sculpts as "erotic"?

I describe all zombie sculpts as erotic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

For some reason I read something as "dice-building" and I'm imagining a game where you buy numbers to stick onto a die.

http://wizkidsgames.com/quarriors/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Or (for Stareplant) plant cube. Or (for Baby Golem) gold token. There is no thematic reason for this rule.

I love the Dungeon petz rulebook. Especially the fact that all the important rule points are in bold red text, including, 'if you let a pet die you must feel guilty'.

My favourite rule is the one in Galaxy Trucker that states (paraphrased) "If you lose more than double your maximum insurance, though....well, nothing happens, but the person who recommended you for the job is almost certainly going to get fired. How you assuage your guilty conscience is up to you."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

apophenium posted:

I played a game of Xenoshyft, Colon Onslaught with a pal last night. It's a very weird game. I'd hesitate to call it a deck builder, at least not on the same level as Dominion. You only cycle your deck maybe 4 or 5 times during the course of the game, so it's less about planning for the future and more about getting what you need, when you need it. This removes a great deal of strategic depth for me. The meat of the game is the combat, and it felt paper thin. You have a line of soldiers and they bash heads against a line of aliens. You either kill all the aliens, or the base takes damage. It's a very 'stuff' focused game. It has a lot of cards: items, armor, weapons, soldiers, aliens, etc., but not a ton of 'game.' I haven't played any other cooperative deck builder to compare, but there's gotta be better options than this.

Played a game of Colon Onslaught with a friend huh? That what the kids are calling it these days?

Pictomania seems like one of those games that I'd like, but I really want to play it before buying it. I'd be surprised if I ever meet anyone else that's even heard of it, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Actually, if you like, really really want high-quality decks, it's pretty easy to make them yourself. I used this site: http://www.makeplayingcards.com/ to make a set of custom cards for my Pathfinder GM for his birthday. The hardest part of it was actually designing them myself, but the quality was great, cost me about 8 bucks for about 32 cards (and a big chunk of that was shipping, as I live in Canada) and we use them every week. The only thing you'd need to do would be to find the individual card art and make sure they're put with the right card backs...also I don't know how picky they are about copyrighted stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Fun fact, Magic was originally planned to have different card backs for every expansion. It was only by virtue of one designer going "Uh maybe this is a bad idea" that this didn't happen.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My roommate found a copy of Star Realms that he forgot he had received for a Humble Bundle, or something...it was...eh. I think I remember reading opinions here about it, though I couldn't quite remember what they were. Really does suffer from the fact that you can get really hosed by the market, or whatever it's called. I kept getting access to lovely cards, whereas after I'd buy them I'd flip over the next card and boom, some great card that my roommate could afford and immediately buy on his turn. Because of this he was able to keep healing and scrapping cards whereas I was stuck with just sort of hoping I'd draw something not terrible from my deck.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Played a couple rounds of Twilight Imperium the other day...it's...I don't know. I kind of like some of the mechanics, like how players can play off of other strategy cards, but the turns are intolerably slow, and we didn't even get to a time when we actually confronted each other, we were just grabbing a couple planets. Also those two turns took two hours (though maybe half an hour was dedicated to rules explanations).

My biggest gripe in games like these are when you have a large stack of cards and choices always available to you - I'm referring specifically to the tech. I mean, yes technically you have a tree, so only a few tech to choose from, but at any given point you're probably going to want to be moving towards a particular tech at the bottom of the tree, so you've got to know which one is worth it, which means reading every single card and knowing what they do.

Also secret objectives are bullshit in any game with asymetric faction abilities. I was a not-very-good-at-combat race, but my secret objective was to take over Rex and have a huge army with a space dock. There was another person with a very similar objective, except his race was built around having large fleets or very powerful dreadnoughts or something. So my objective was pretty much trash.

One of my friends wants to dedicate a day to playing a five-six player game. This thought sounds kind of interesting, but also fairly terrifying when it comes to playing a single board game for six hours.

Edit: How does Rex compare? Apparently there's more to do in that game than just build up armies?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

True, Galaxy Trucker would work better with a zombie theme

Pffft, clearly Zombie Alert would be the superior title.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Came back from Toronto, played a few board games at a cafe while I was there. Some Castles of Mad King Ludwig andFive Tribes, both entertaining games but not games I'd pick up - mostly because I don't know when I'd ever get them out with my friends back in Ottawa. Like it's been said before, Ludwig is just a very bland game to look at (but fun to play), and Five Tribes is enjoyable, but waaaaaaay too prone to AP. I'm lucky that when it comes to these trips of mine, I generally end up playing with a friend who's very board-game-savvy. Generally we pick up new games and have no problem simply reading the rules and understanding them as we play. I know a lot of people have had problems with stuff like that, but I really enjoy reading through and understanding a game with him before/as we play. Hell, if we can play through a game of Dungeon Lords competently on the first go, we can play through (almost) anything.

Also, I picked up a copy of Pictomania and the Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary edition. Played some Pictomania with my sister and brother in law, had a blast, looking forward to playing it today at work.

As for talk of poisonous elements in groups...sometimes I worry I can be like that. I'll often find myself complaining when I'm on the poo poo end of luck, often getting mad at the game's mechanics when I do ("Christ, I wish this game wasn't so luck based", etc), and I have to reel myself in when I do - that's no fun for anyone. At best you're insulting a game you're playing that others may be enjoying, at worst you're insulting a game that someone else purchased and likes enough to want to play it with you.

Oh, one question: we all have our preferences for individual board game organizers, but what do people's board game shelves look like? Organized stack? Messy pile? IKEA square shelving? I'm moving into a new place soon and will need to think of ways to store my ever-increasing stock of games beyond "pile of boxes on my dresser", and was wondering if anyone had found elegant solutions for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

You guys are being very mean to 4outof5, just because he wants to store his game inefficiently in some sort of metal tube doesn't mean he can't have his own opinions. Not everyone can afford a Bloogerd or whatever the latest IKEA model is, geeze.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Caverna is the better game because it weighs like 100 lbs.

Speaking of heavy games, I want to get Terra Mystica so badly...but I know I will never get my friends to play it more than once, maybe twice or something. It's a drat tragedy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I enjoy Tragedy Looper, but I 100% agree with the token hate. Next time I plan on playing, I'm going to pick up some generic counter tokens, either thin plastic ones or those colored stones with flat bases, to use instead, because seeing a mishmash of dark-color-on-black-background bits of cardboard on a character is really tough to parse at first glance.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's a completely valid reason to be put off from a board game due to its art, all art is a matter of taste. It's a shame if you're missing out on a good game, but if your distaste for the art, whether it's because you don't like the style, or don't think it's good enough, or think that it's too generic, or racist...if, for whatever reason, it' enough to overpower your enjoyment of the game, then you're not going to enjoy yourself and then why would you play?

That said, this reprint, if it causes a Pandemic-like split where expansions are no longer made for the old version, it'll really be irritating as gently caress.

Anyway can I gripe about how I'm annoyed that the Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition is, like, half an inch taller than Galaxy Trucker and therefore won't fit in my shelf as easily? My goddamn need for order must be appeased!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

jmzero posted:

Well, that was part of his point - by all the accounts I've seen, Pret-a-Porter was a good innovative game that didn't get much exposure because people were turned off by the theme. I'm one of the people who didn't give it a second look because of the theme. I did get the group to play Ladies and Gentlemen, which I guess has some stuff in common, but L&G is intended to be goofy and that really shifts the dynamic. I don't think I could sell a straight-up fashion game to any group I play with, even if it was quite good.

Oh, I saw Ladies and Gentlemen in the store the other day, and the concept sounds intriguing - how is it? The dynamic between the Ladies and the Gentlemen sounds fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm kind of curious, why has everyone been talking about Eminent Domain lately? I remember playing it a couple years ago and having a decent amount of fun with it, but suddenly it's been talked about in this thread a bunch lately.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Played some Dungeon Lords over the weekend, holy poo poo did I get screwed by the very little randomness that game has. Traps I drew were useless, and the one time I had a strategy down pat, a random spell that forced my demon to attack the enemy in front, as opposed to that rear end in a top hat thief in the middle, completely hosed me.

Still though, that was because I wasn't managing my evil based on the adventurers coming through, or checking the combat cards at the same time, so it's partly my fault, but damnit that's the most frustrated I've been playing that game. Still so much fun, looking forward to jumping into the expansion once I've got another game or two under my belt.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Foehammer posted:

What season did you attract the wizard? Once you've got at least one of them lined up there's really no excuse not to take the intel action.

Edit: Aside from the normal DL excuse, there weren't enough turns to get everything you needed AND everything you wanted :)

Yeah...in my defense it was my second time playing the game, so thoughts like that, taking a wizard and intel vs taking a rogue and finding a way to take them out before thinking about traps, they didn't really apply to my strategy of "I want the bestest dungeon!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So I recently got Dominion as a gift, as well as the Guilds expansion...aside from Adventures, which I hear is great, what other expansion(s) should I keep an eye out for?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There is a quiet satisfaction one gets from perfectly organizing a game's components neatly in various plano. Sleeved up every card for Relic and the two expansions (600 mini-cards) and have them all organized in their own plastic container. All the counters are in their own seperate mini-container that can be put off to the side for easy player access. Perfect.

.... unless they release an expansion that adds a new deck or something, because that would gently caress everything. Inevitable I'm sure. :v:

I'm planning on sleeving the small cards for both Pictomania and Dungeon Lords, and I'm super paranoid that they're not going to fit in their boxes afterwards :ohdear:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zveroboy posted:

Had fun today crushing some empty game boxes down and throwing them in the trash. Suck it nerds :smug:

From what I see, should've put the rest of those games in there :smug:

Edit: Except for 7 Wonders, which is an Acceptable™ game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

homullus posted:

When you were a child, you could open all of your toys and, pending any required assembly, play with them immediately. If you wait until game night, everyone can get their first look at the same time, too! We all know how much worse this makes the experience for everyone, but until a given gamer internalizes the shift to complex modern tabletop games, he or she will not behave differently.

Yeah, a couple of my friends (but not all of them) and I enjoy playing games like this - plus, I have become really, really adept at explaining the rules of a game while I read the rulebook, without actually reading it word-by-word.