Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The last two nights my wife and I have played Betrayal at House on the Hill after I got it for ~$25 the other day. The two-player variant we've been playing has us both playing 2 characters, then when the haunt begins, the traitor plays just one character while the other character becomes controlled by the second player. The first game we played was REALLY unbalanced, but the second felt really balanced and kept going back and forth between the heros and the monsters. We really like this game and the two-player variant has worked well for us so far.

On the other end of the board game spectrum, we've been eyeing Castles of Burgundy after playing it with a friend. I regret not getting it when it was $20 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking at getting a set of ships for my wife and I to play X-Wing together. I don't want to spend too much money and I have absolutely ZERO interest in playing in leagues, and I was wondering what I should by. I heard that buying two core sets might be enough, but I've also heard that buying one core set and a few expansions is better and costs just a few dollars more.

EDIT: Also, does it matter which core set I buy?

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 30, 2015

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

So I personally don't like Vassal's show, but what he says here makes me want to support him.

EDIT: to clarify, I think that Dice tower does an hour long show for what could be covered in less time. I understand that personality plays a big role in why people watch these videos, so maybe I just don't connect with their personalities likes others do.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 11, 2015

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Okay so I'm not getting the game (Scythe, that is), but when I see posts like this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe/posts/1444795?ref=backer_project_update I am sorely loving tempted to. And the one previous about how he's planning the box to contain things very well.

You may have convinced me to fund my first kickstarter.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Scyther posted:

Who's got two thumbs and got a game for Christmas? This guy!

:cripes:

Me too!

On the bright side, I also got a second copy of gloom (which I happen to like a whole lot), and this edition has MUCH better packaging than the old one..

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Has anyone played the End of The World rpg published by Fantasy Flight? I'm considering buying the first book to play with 3 friends and wanted to hear some criticism.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

RE: Everyone owning Dominion

I've never played the game and only know that it's a deckbuilder.

RE: Isle of Skye

I own it and have played it 2-player a bunch, but I don't really know what you;re asking.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My wife was SO excited to see that all the characters had female options in Legends of Andor; unfortunately they're all white, but I've noticed some progress with representations of diversity in gaming.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I just printed out the pnp of Tim Fowers new game Sabotage, but haven't played it yet, has anyone payed it?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Although game mechanics and basic components such as figurines will be the same in every copy of the game, most cards, mappings, and tokens will be randomly selected from a huge bundle of possible components.

This makes me wonder if the "random-ness" will be superficial and more like giving you 1/3 of the possible deck of cards for your "encounters" or whatever. Sure you and a friend will have different experiences, but the same can be said about ANY game that uses a random element.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

So there will either be some games where you don't have the items you need to beat the enemies/survive the environments/etc. that came in your box, or they'll all be so generic that any mix of item components is adequate to win against any mix of environment/enemy components. Considering how bland the artwork looks, I'm guessing the latter.

Look, my box came with a canteen that gives me +3 on the water track!

Wow, my box came with a blue water bottle that gives me +3 on the water track!

No-way! My box came with a green water bottle that gives me +3 on the water track!

etc.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DogCop posted:

Japan certainly beats New Jersey in terms of theme.

If I go for Indonesia or 1889 it'll definitely be a print-and-play with this guy's re-designs because goddamn those games are ugly out of the box.

https://twentynineteen.org/

I don't see his 1889 re-theme on his site, but I am 100% going to print out his Arboretum one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

I am pretty curious to see if Cerebria turns out to be worth playing. The theme behind it is pretty cool, but I remember being kind of unimpressed with the rulebook.

I played a demo at GenCon and there was just SO MUCH going on without it feeling satisfying. By the end of the demo I was feeling a little overwhelmed and then the person running the game pointed out a bunch of symbols we ignored and told us that there were a lot of other rules we didn't play with.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Anime Turnpike posted:

Got into tabletop games only a few months ago and have a very limited amount of games. Been thinking of getting either, Spirit Island, Terraforming Mars or Scythe

Right now I've got:
Ticket To Ride Europe
Arkham Horror LCG
Codenames
7 Wonders Duel
Coup
Sushi Go!

I mostly play with my partner so it being good for 2 players is a must, but sometimes there's 4 players or a party.

So which one is best? We don't have a lot of experience with the harder games but we want to go off the medium to deep end. So if you have any other recommendations in the price range that would be great.

Right now Spirit Island is my pick but still unconvinced.

I mostly play with 2 and really love both Spirit Island and Scythe, but have never played TM. Scythe looks like it's heavier than it is and is actually fairly straight forward. Spirit Island is more of puzzle that you have to think a few turns ahead in order to win whereas Scythe (At least in 2-player which is my only experience) can be more forgiving about you being reactionary

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

You're gonna lose sensitivity if you keep gripping it so tight.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Barenpark is perfect for you here. It's light, it's structurally impossible to actually get slaughter assuming reasonable play. Like 108-90 is, contextually, getting absolutely destroyed but doesn't feel bad.

It's also basically the opposite of cut throat, particularly if you curate the object tiles of play with 3 players.

I agree with this, but I think it's between print runs because it's currently like $50 on amazon and out of stock on CSI/MM

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The most recent Humble Bundle is for digital tabletop games, so I have some steam versions of board games that I don't want. Adding some ?'s for good measure.

Mysterium:
4GF0C-PB49D-BWKQ?

? = last letter again

Ticket to Ride (complete bundle):
4D?CA-W785?-CDEKV

? = letter from Mysterium

Carcasone
3JI?X-VGJ?6-5X7RY

? = Same letter as before

Please let me know if you take one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tekopo posted:

penny sleeves are too expensive when you can just get leaves from the ground and use your blood to write things down

This, but I use poop I find on the ground too.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

al's post has a trigger word that reminds me of a question that I have been wanting to ask for some time now:

What are the best games for 'engine building'? Bonus points if it plays <90 minutes

I'm a fan of Oh My Goods!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I got rid of innovation, Mottainai, and GTR after I got I/E. I/E just makes the genre more interesting and auctions own.

I/E?

EDIT: Import/Export. I just needed to scroll up a bit.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This is the gooniest conversation.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Kerro posted:

Yeah when we play two player we always take two characters each. Took us a while to get the hang of the game and I was quite put off by the apparent randomness at first, until we worked out we'd just been approaching it completely wrong and that most of the time you can all-but-guarantee the outcome if you plan correctly. Fun, but somewhat strange game.

Yeah, I'd never play Andor 2 player without taking 2 characters each. My wife and I are stuck in the 3rd? Legend, but haven't played it in a while because we're currently hooked on scythe and just got fenris.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I like how one side says "Carth's design is horrible I could never play on such a thing" and the other just says "Carth's design is nice :shrug:". One is much more calm than another.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fellis posted:

i just want nice graphics you STRAWMAN AUTISTS

This.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fellis posted:

I was making fun of you friend

That was very obvious.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Two quick questions.

What's the deal with Jump Drive? I like rftg and haven't seen anyone ever talk about Jump Drive here. Does it suck? Bear in mind I have kids, so I'm actually a good audience for a dumbed down rftg.

From what I remember after playing Jump Drive at 2016 GenCon it's exactly that: a dumbed down and worse version of RFTG

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I got Gloomhaven in the mail yesterday and am super stoked.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Buy fewer games, play the games you actually love more. :v:

It took me way too long to learn this one.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's well worth it. Fits equally well with experienced gamers and newcomers, which is rare. I'm looking forward to the expansion, Die Grizzlies Sind Los!, which is coming later this year.

I'll second this. I played with a 10 year old and someone who board games every single week; we all had fun and didn't have point totals too far apart.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I finished the Rise of Fenris, played a bunch of games of WoTR and bought/have been playing a lot of Gloomhaven and it's been really nice to not have to re-read the rules each time I play board games.... There might be something to this whole "stop buying games and play the ones you own over and over" thing.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I will not explain rules while someone is on their phone or tablet. Period The End of Discussion.

loving LOL if you don't just stop going to game night because doing that to this particular friend would hurt instead of help and now you don't have a good game night anymore..........

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I don't go to game nights with rude people. I'm very fortunate to live in the Los Angeles area, there are plenty of game nights around here where people understand that if someone is taking the time and effort to explain a game, the least they can do is turn off the phone. Just for the record, people on their phones during the game doesn't bother me UNLESS they insist on a recap every time it's their turn because they haven't been paying attention. That too is rude.

I feel that I respect other people and their time and patience, I'm asking the same for myself.

These people are friends first and board game group second. I still play games with my wife 2-3x/week, and I really enjoy that, so it's not like I don't get to play games anymore.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Dear Internet comedy forum: I am sorry I made a generalization on your fine forum. I am also sorry I pointed out a sacred cow user for having the same viewpoint as myself when it comes to the value proposition of a game made by a company known for milquetoast designs. I repent for my sins.

I have zero opinions on Tapestry, but please stop posting. I hate reading the things you write.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

a poo poo game (Terraforming Mars).

What's the gooncensus on Terraforming Mars? Even though I haven''t played TM yet, I'm ready to disagree with GrandpaPants because I like Imperial Settlers.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The funny thing with TfM's length is that 2P games go the longest in terms of generations since terraforming doesn't scale with player count. It's not enough to overcome the usual duration increase that comes with more people but it does make a difference.

I've been playing with the "world government" rule or whatever it's called where each generation one of the three terraforming categories gets increased each generation

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 10, 2019

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I pnp'd that copy and mounted it on cardboard

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

1889 and the upcoming 18Chesapeake are both well regarded at 2p. I’ve played 89 at 2 and thought it was just as good as 5, though obviously very different.

I mostly gane with 2 so 89 is the only one I have. I like it!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Santiago definitely is not heavy.

I agree

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Mysterium and 7 Wonders are my go-tos for the large-player-count-game-that-isn't-a-full-on-party-game category.

This is why I hate 7 wonders. It's always pulled out at game nights when a bunch of people show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Megasabin posted:

After investing in inserts and plastic cases I would never go back to bags. It's a much bigger pain in the rear end to take something out of a bag and then put it back in. Inserts are definitely the best, but obviously cost $$$ or even don't exist for some older games. Plastic cases still go a long way towards set up/tear down time & table space, as they are confined organized units of space that can just be instantly placed on the table and popped open, ready to go.

Yeah, plano boxes (or the equivalent) are life savers; there are certain games that I would never play if I had to use baggies.