Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't think it would be crazy for game groups who care about their members' feelings to adopt something like the X Card from RPGs -- when something comes up somebody's not comfortable with, they tap the card, and it's excised without the the group expecting an explanation. People should be able to say they're not comfortable playing a game without having to justify it, and especially without having to explain why THIS treatment of Theme X is troubling for them personally while some other treatment or some other trigger-y theme doesn't. You can't logical-proof your way out of the discomfort, but you can logical-proof your way out of having people to play cool games with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Played my first few games of Radlands . It's . . . fine? Fun, pretty fast, would play again, but also pretty easy to tell what your good moves are (if any), and quite luck-dependent. The Raiders are kind of an irregular timer on the game; if the battle for the spaces in front of the camps is even, the player who works their raiders faster will win. The ability to hurt others far outstrips your ability to heal yourself, which contributes to a headlong feel, but also leads to some abrupt reversals, such as where somebody is able to junk a card to restore a camp that does something cool and turn around the game. I suspect a mediocre-but-lucky player might almost always beat a skilled one though. I was hoping for something a little more interesting but am not disappointed.

The production values are as-advertised. The plastic cards are great, the art is what I was expecting, the whole package is well-thought-out and good quality. I think the playmats are more than decorative, since they remind you that you can draw a card for two water.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Eklund thinks colonialism and capitalism were net positives, anthropogenic climate change isn't real, and almost nobody's died of COVID; I think he's wrong on all three poo poo opinion counts and won't buy his games. "One person drawing salary at a game company has some poo poo opinions, so I will never play any game from that company" is too high a bar for me. Definitely a fan of people purchasing/not purchasing in line with their values though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

This is going to sound more critical than I mean it to be. I know everyone has to draw the line somewhere. Cue Sonic.jpeg of There's No Such Thing As Ethical Consumption Under Capitalism. But hear me out.

One of the more industy-facing goons can correct me, but I'd attest that this guy's is something of a special case. I don't believe there are tons of designers drawing a salary from companies that they don't also own; most that are employees are owner-operators (Ryan Laukat and Red Raven Games, and I think Uwe Rosenberg and Lookout IRRC?) or not employees and simply independent contractors (The good Dr. K, Emerson Matsuuchi, etc). Cole Werle (Leder) and previously Eric Lang (CMON) and Corey Konieczka (FFG) are the three I can think of that were actual employees. The independent ones get paid in advances / royalties instead of salary, though I imagine that the employed ones get royalties or something as well.

If someone's an independent contractor, all you have to do is avoid their games and the royalties never go to them; if their games don't sell, people might not buy their future games. If someone owns the company, you avoid the publisher and the profits never register and the owner potentially has to fold the business. Those cases are the ones we're used to in the board game world, and are simple.

However, when someone is an employee of a company, then that person is getting paid so long as they are employed. More explicitly, that company's success means that person will likely be retained, and if they were to suffer a cash shortfall then perhaps that person would have to be let go. So, if you buy something unrelated from the publisher who is paying the garbage human, then some portion of that money is going to feeding and clothing the garbage human.

I just think that perhaps it is time for this particular garbage human to be faced with the realities of capitalism that he loves so much where people rationally decide to buy their games from publishers who don't financially support these particular garbage humans.

I agree with most of your thoughtful analysis, but not the conclusion. For me, the two important parts of "cancel culture" are (1) people spending money in line with their values (as you say, to the extent possible under capitalism), and (2) the deplatforming of dangerous opinions. I don't need Phil Eklund punished for those lovely opinions. I want to stop perpetuating his libertarian weirdo gamesturbation with my own finite dollars. I think the way his lovely opinions manifest (games), and the audience to which they manifest (almost nobody), moderates my response.

But again, I don't think those whose reaction is stronger, such that they don't want to play Ion games, are "going too far." I'm just not there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Traditional Games > Board Game Thread 4e: ok dork

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Can we as a thread quit trying to parse out which of Eklunds horrible views is *kinda, sorta* valid? Please?

I'm not going to, sorry.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The new OP could reasonably acknowledge, and summarize briefly (in no particular order) the current issues with: (1) bigoted game companies/CEOs (e.g. Gaming Goat), (2) designers of color, (3) representations of diversity in games (e.g. Alma Mater), and (4) the decolonization of tabletop gaming. Links to fuller discussions elsewhere would be fine, nobody needs to write the decisive NYT article on it. "Community recognition of these issues is growing; many of us talk and think about these more than we used to."

Also, a black designer doesn't have to make a "black game" for their voice to be relevant. They will have different perspectives, even in a "regular" (whatever that means) game. Separate from that, there's interest out there in boosting the signals of BIPOC creatives and acknowledging the decades they've been contributing to the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mayveena posted:

I'm sorry but that's an assumption that I don't like. Black people have many different experiences and outlooks and I will never say that somehow simply the color of their (my) skin says that they will have a different experience. Many/most do but not all. I would challenge anyone to play Rising Sun and somehow magically know it was from a Black designer.

You're taking it one step further than you need to, which is why it rings false. The idea is not that people should magically know that A Black Person was involved because of certain Black characteristics they just couldn't help but leave in the design -- that's crazy talk, which is why it sounds crazy to you. It's also crazy talk to say Black Americans all have the same experience. I guess it's mathematically possible for a Black American to have an experience in America 100% free of any racial difference, but the way race is embedded in pretty much everything here, I have serious doubts.

The plainest I can say it is that your entire life experience, conscious and unconscious, informs everything you do. Design-wise, it is as much about what you cut out of a game as what you put in. It is how you word things, the media you consume for fun, even how you envision people playing your game. I think a Black American could have produced Alma Mater, for example, and said yes, it makes sense that all these characters are white, but I think it's less likely. That's an extreme example, but I think you may be underrating the relevance of identity in creation/design.