Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

went on a sunday board game run with my old lady and picked up a few things

betrayal and time stories. i'd been meaning to get betrayal for a while cause it seemed fun when i read about it online. time stories i've never heard of, hopefully it's good.

then the true diamond in the rough

finally a dungeon crawler i don't already own. i'm sure this will be fantastic to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

going through the contents hopefully no red flags pop up

box contents including modular dungeon tiles

walls and doors

pewter dwarves and spiders and vanir (elves?)

opening the rulebook, cool dwarf helmet

hmmmm

oh there it is lol

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i didn't get to play betrayal because i didn't read the box to see it's 3 player min before i bought it. we played time stories and that was enjoyable although we got owned and lost by rolling lovely on changing locations. she refused to play the weird nazi dwarf game with me so i don't know if i'll ever get to play that. so i'd rate a solid 4/10 board game run

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

new dungeon crawl in my quest to own every dungeon crawl ever made:

anyone actually played this before? the box art was worth the price imo so im not worried if it's terrible

i also got another copy of heroquest so i can start frankensteining my copy together but everyone knows what heroquest looks like

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

That's a particularly awful game; grats.

I remember it having a rock paper scissors, hand management type combat system that seemed promising but was ultimately pointless, and every other mechanic in the game ranged from clunky to actively malignant towards players.

can't wait to try solo mode!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Powerful "Dare you enter my magical realm?" vibes.

i only get excited about games where i can play a wizard tbh. i tried to start charterstone last night with my girlfriend but there were no wizards and no goblins and i lost interest and had to go lie down

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

DungeonQuest was good times with friends when I was 12 or whatever, I still own my copy!

It can be seen as a lolrandom "dying of starvation in a exit-less corridor is very 1985" kind of fantasy game, but there are actually a number of things to admire about DungeonQuest!
  • The whole design is very "what you see is what you get/have". It's very visual with very few abstractions. Makes it easy to grasp and follow (and helps engagement.)
  • An example: every game element -- not that many in total -- has its own set of tiles (or cards) to draw from. No table lookups, etc. This makes it easier to pick up and play, or explain rules as you go.
  • The game has a built in timer (sundown, after which the dungeon is so dangerous no one will survive so anyone left inside is toast) so it can't go on forever
  • A press-your-luck element to the whole game, most significantly in whether and how much loot to try for if one reaches the central treasure room, and when to shift from filling ones pockets to escaping. This means there are ongoing and clear decisions to make, and clear & direct consequences to them.
  • Combat is simple (basically rock-paper-scissors: slash, heavy blow, or leap aside) but one of the other players chooses the monster's actions, which helps keep everyone engaged.
  • Players are always either doing something, or being about to do something which also helps engagement. Especially in a group that will laugh at others' misfortune.

this sounds great! that other guy made it sound much worse. im gonna try and play this evening and report back

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

wow thread is taking a sharp turn for the insanely wrong I see!!!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

FH is going to be a better game than GH. It's definitely not going to be smaller or simpler by any stretch, but it'll be better - better balanced, more interesting, and with a more compelling campaign structure. I'm not just blowing smoke; I'm playtesting it, and impressed.

what are the chances my hirst arts floor tiles
will be reusable for frosthaven? totally different map tile shapes?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the mythos tales version of the sherlock holmes game is a lot of fun. i enjoyed the sherlock one but i started with jack the ripper and tbh it got to be kind of a bummer cause all those victims were real people

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

what am i getting myself in to

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i love titties

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

is it hard to learn? i ordered this a while back without watching a video of play and kinda forgot about it

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

theres more anime in this game than i realized

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

this game also arrived today

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Don't see a single cyborg on that cover

Shameful

look away from the tiddies to the top left of the cover

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zkoto posted:

Any thoughts on a good gaming table? I currently have a 1.5m square dinner table i have co-opted for gaming, but those fancy felt table sure look great.
Anyone have any experience with them? I live in Australia so that will prob limit what I can get and all. I looked at a few rando webpages selling them, and holy poo poo are they expensive, but as something to save up to, it should be doable.

If there was some discussion already about them, feel free just to point me at it, this thread is very large.

i built my table and it was pretty straightforward. i'd say try and find a local carpenter to make something to your specs. it'll probably be cheaper than the mass produced tables and will be light years ahead in quality. all the gaming tables i've seen are overpriced and cheaply built.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i'm through the prologue and have set up my first settlement in KDM and it's great so far.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

uncle blog posted:

My bad, should have specified deck-based game. Like Dominion, Arkham Horror LCG or Dune Imperium, but heavy on interaction and not co-op.

But such a unicorn might not exist…

magic the gathering

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zkoto posted:

What did you do for yours? I really like the felt topped sunken look that the fancy expensive ones have. If i can get a local to make one like that, that's probably the way to go.
I have a big old 1.5m square table, wonder if its easier just to get someone to build a felt top for it.

Also, this thread has been bad for my wallet. I started playing some Brass, Civ: New Dawn, and Spirit Island on Tabletop Simulator after reading people talking about them. Immediately went and got Brass, that game is a blast to play. Pretty confident SI is next.

unfortunately i don't have any pics of the construction process. i made it out of padauk with a maple core to the apron. the aprons were constructed out of three pieces, with a maple center, so i could add the metal strips for the magnetized channels inside and out (for cupholders and stuff). i used floating tenons to attach the legs and dominos to assemble the apron pieces. this was the first piece of furniture i ever built, but i had access to a pretty well equipped shop. i probably spent around $800-$900 for all the materials, which is way cheaper than any of the online game table makers. there are definitely a few mistakes here and there but i'm way happier with this than something from wyrmwood or any of the other table makers. it took me about six full days of work over about a month and a half to make it. i'd go with a local carpenter if you don't have access to a shop, but you can absolutely do this kind of thing yourself if you do some reading.

i went ahead and built a table instead of a topper because i wanted to make sure the height worked for people sitting at it (adding an extra few inches to the top of an existing table can make it hit too high and feel awkward), and i have a tight space i needed it to fit in. the only thing i need to adjust on it at this point is the neoprene insert because as the table has dried out, i cut my neoprene slightly small. so i have some of that plywood center peeking out.

i also have a space for a dedicated game table so i didn't need to make topper panels for it. that would definitely be doable but a little more difficult than the rest so it doesn't have inconsistent movement and cup/warp/look all wonky in a few months.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

That’s a fantastic table. I think I want to make mine a sitting / standing table.

thanks! being able to leave large games set up and out has been awesome and if you have room for a dedicated table i recommend it 1000%

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

kingdom death is such a fun game. i can't believe you prudes roasted me for buying it, it's so good.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

wrong. i have no internalization of the value of money and will waste it on extremely stupid things with wild abandon and zero regret

this game is just fun. love crafting armor and building a settlement and then hunting monsters. it owns

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

cocaine v meth

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Morpheus posted:

What do you like about it? I've only played like three hunts and enjoyed it more or less but could see some elements that are potentially quite annoying cropping up.

I did really like the "deck = health" mechanic on bosses. Also I guess playing it for free on TTS without having to worry about setup and teardown and tablespace helped.

i'm on my first campaign going into lantern year 7 and it's been fun as hell. it's been about 25-30 hours of gameplay so far. i've had some insta kills on my survivors which can be frustrating but since you're managing an entire settlement you don't have to get too attached to specific characters like i do when i'm playing with a team of heroes. there's a cool narrative that emerges out of them when they have kids building family trees etc, and then wind up wandering off into the darkness because they're too insane or something.

i'm really enjoying unlocking the various story milestones and developing the settlement. i like that it plays in three phases over a lantern year and that's usually just enough for one evening's play session.

there's an entire gear meta game where you match pieces and unlock set bonuses, and you start to learn the ai mechanics of the various bosses and have to cope with them. figuring out how the white lion wants to drag one of your survivors off and maul them to death and then coping with that has been great.

the lore and setting is wild as all hell and very dark and moody and putting on a dark ambient dungeon synth type album and fighting monsters is fantastic. i wish it was a little less anime inspired as far as the art direction goes but the monsters are great.

it's a really simple game but has a ton of depth it feels like. i think gloomhaven is probably a better game but i can see how people love kdm and are paying insane ebay prices for it. i'm crossing my fingers that the frosthaven settlement development mechanic is cribbing from kdm.

kdm is really scratching just about every itch for me that i want in a board game: miniatures, dungeon crawling, slaying monsters, collecting resources, leveling up a char and getting gear, etc. it's fantastic and i don't care what the philistines in this thread are saying about it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I can see how parts of Kingdom Death are fun but there's just so much opportunity for the game to say "you no longer get to have fun, gently caress you" that I never want to touch it.

yeah i really had to get into the mindset that my survivors are disposable or this game would have broken me a while ago lol

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i guess the thread was the real kingdom death monster all along. . .

thougbt about a boob and died ):

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I want to be horny anymore, I just want to kill monsters.

it's ok to do both. that's the entire sword and sorcery genre (the best genre) and im very normal and strong and handsome (wore a tuxedo last night) and don't play at flgs and also am having a lot of fun playing kdm (not scared to see a boob or a penis) with MY WIFE

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

appalled that this thin blooded thread would stand by and allow these monsters to go un-slayed smdh

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

currently gluing human hands coming out of the anus of this giant bird monster model ready to die on the hill that kdm is good

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

sorry, *cloaca

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Edit: Also gently caress KDM

finally can we please get back on topic.

im on lantern year 7 and just unlocked the phoenix quarry but idk if i should be grinding lion or antelope parts for gear at this stage

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I skimmed the kdm kickstarter and all I saw was titty minis and monsters and a very high cost. Is it the titty minis? I have a few and my gf just goes "ooh I like her, she's hot and has a nice rack" :shrug:

Was there something in the manual? I couldn't find examples on a quick Google search.

Maybe link me to a post explaining why it was bad if that helps, I couldn't see one skimming the thread

EDIT saw a video saying the base game is $400 and $1600 dollars or so for all the expansions, well that lost me immediately.

game is extremely good but i havent bought any expansions. allegedly they get reprinted and sold every now and then for $60-$150 each so probably not worth paying ebay prices. i love assembling loot and gear and it’s a huge part of this game so it’s really clicking with me. i also love warhammer quest and shadows of brimstone, which are both games that i’ve put a ton of money into (for board games), so i didnt mind dropping for the core box.

all the goons saying it’s a mysoginist rape game or whatever are lying and haven’t played it or are being neo-victorian prudes that hate seeing nudity i guess.

the opening showdown is your survivors clad in nothing but scraps of cloth wrestling a lion to death and couldnt beat you over the head any harder with the classical greek sculpture and myth imagery (hrcules and the nemean lion)

the game is a complete trip and definitely not for everyone but the people making it sound like a creep sex game are totally off base so dont take those criticisms too closely to heart. like even matt mercer called it his goty and that dude is about as woke as they come

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

why are you forcing us to read this

dude wears nail polish what more do you want

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

talisman is not a bad game. what is wrong with you freaks?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

needs a section on how kdm is too good for this thread to talk about

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)