Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One with a better future might be goonsensus.com, which gives a rough overview on games and whatever with whatever goons generally think of it. (There'd likely also be a 'Rutibex' section for what people who dissent with the common opinion say.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

If you want to make Dominion but better, one way would be to figure out how to have the same good elements of the gameplay but, oh, without the constant shuffling and re-shuffling. So much shuffling is just a chore (a chore solved by computer versions, I suppose.)
That's one of the things I dig about Puzzle Strike. The chip bag thing is a really loving clever idea.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stone Age was my own introduction to worker placement, so I've got a fondness for it. It's very streamlined, in that there are a few clear ways to get victory points (cultures, cards, huts), and a few clear ways to achieve those goals, (more tools, more meeples, more farms) while also giving you something to keep you on the back foot (feeding your dudes) to teach you not to overextend.

There's no question of "what does this do" that can't be explained in a sentence or two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Let's put it this way:

Despite their incredible love of thematic, lots-of-bits games regardless of mechanics, and incredibly blind spot for issues like luck-dependency, SU&SD still didn't recommend Xia. (They recommended Merchants & Marauders instead.) They basically talked about Xia with the same tone that they did Fortune and Glory.

Edit: From what I'm seeing, though, it does look like the kind of game that could be drastically improved with some house rules/errata, and extra components, though.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 20, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Actually this opens up quite an incredible level of meta-gaming to the entire game. I want this game now.
"Look, I'm 100% sure the rules say that in this situation, we have to put Xia away and play Dungeon Lords."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, funny story. I was clicking around looking at solo games on BGG (because that is what I do with my free time), and I stumbled upon Tower of the Dread Mage, a pen-and-paper micro-RPG, played with a pencil on graph paper. Its rather luck-based, as you might expect from a game that small, and doesn't have much tactical depth at all. Still. the retro design charmed me, and I gave it a couple plays. Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at when it was first made, suspecting it'd be late-70s, early 80s.

And my first thought was "I could do this better than that". Knowing that I wouldn't be able to do much with one page, either, I instead opted to double my design space. Two pages of rules, two pages of tables. Still played with a pencil, graph paper, and two six-sided dice. And twenty-four hours later, I have a first draft of this horrible, horrible game that's probably barely any better at all than the inspiration, and is in desperate need of playtesting, and getting torn to shreds by people with better game design sensibilities than I.

Without further do, The Labyrinth of S'xsyde.

Edit Version 1.02 is live! Major tweaks to chest and treasure tables, a small buff to armor rules, S'xsyde herself got a major nerf, and I fixed some formatting.

Legacy Versions
v1.01
v1.00

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 27, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just updated S'xsyde to version 1.01... because I did something really stupid. :doh:

Specifically, I forgot to factor bell curves into how I laid out the treasure tables. :downs:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

If it's any consolation, bell curves is something I see game designers forget often for no apparent reason. The worst case I've seen was in an RPG where everything was rolled with 2D10. In particular, hit locations were decided by 2D10 on a table going from toe to head with each limb having a die score spread that depended on the size of the limb…

Note the choice of words there: die score spread. It did not take into account the probabilities of getting those scores. So somehow, you ended up having a 1:4 chance of hitting a person in the left arm, and roughly a 1:5 chance of hitting the torso.
:downsgun:
I actually built most of the mechanics AROUND the bell curve. But in my defense, I was rushing to finish so I could start play testing.

Waiting for some more input before I update to 1.02. Thinking I'll probably drop the difficulty of all chests by 1. May or may not also mess with the odds of chests spawning, and I'm definitely gonna work on the Escape Phase rules. Specifically, the amount of collapse for forcing through an already visited room.

Right now, in the lower two difficulties, once you have a one room lead, you can just travel through only visited rooms and have a guaranteed, no-rolls escape. That's not quite how I imagined that phase going.

I'm also vaguely considering making the lower floors more difficult on the way out, but I honestly kind of like the feeling of power you get when just cutting a swathe through monsters that gave you grief at the start. It adds a real sense of triumph to cap off a victory.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

Also, a 108–648 spread of outcomes seems to be very in keeping with the “balance” of the rest of the game.
36 dice gives you the mother of all bell curves, though. So it's actually LESS swingy than Talisman. Which is kind of hilarious, in a way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rexides posted:

I have only read the rules, but from the looks of it I see no reason why combat needs more than one die roll to resolve and there aren't any decision points to be made between turns. Also, I can't see any reason you shouldn't use abilities and consumable items that affect combat as soon as they are available. Maybe I am missing some intricacies that only become apparent when you play it, but that's my initial feedback.
The short version is that battles take multiple turns because it provides another axis to customize enemies on. If you look at the monster chart, you'll see that some of them are disproportionately powerful and/or hard to hit, but have a correspondingly-low HP. Alternatively, you get zombies and golems, who are the opposite, high HP enemies with a wear-them-down strategy so you can't always just alpha strike them. If I made monster combat only one turn, they'd be almost indistinguishable from Traps, just using a different stat.

Not to mention multi-turn combat (and being able to save your items) is important for Guardians to have the epic scale that they should.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

homullus posted:

The board games in the series are fun, but I don't feel that they are very thematic for the individual topics (I don't have Drizzt, but I have the other two).
I love the system for this game. It's a great game, and a pretty decent way to ease people into rolling dice to kill monsters. It does, however, have only a passing resemblance to the actual dungeon-crawler genre (because sticking around to explore every nook and cranny will quickly get you loving murdered). I wonder if they're going to address that at all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde, Version 1.02!

I went ahead and changed the chest tables somewhat significantly, as well as a few other minor tweaks I'd been considering.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Labyrinth of S'xsyde v1.03! With exciting new features like "intuitive table layout", "competent formatting" and "different opening image". I did a pretty massive overhaul of the Monster, Trap, and Obstacle tables so they're more consistent now, and simplified the HP-gaining rules. The game is a bit easier, but that's what the difficulty slider is for. I think this is going to be the last "main" update unless something major jumps out that needs fixing.

(Thus, this is probably the last time you'll have to worry about me spamming the Board Game thread with messages about it.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Prairie Bus posted:

Vlaada's games sacrifice mechanics for the sake of theme, and are probably the better for it.
I might argue that. It's more like he's a savant at marrying mechanics and flavor. Just think of how many rules in Dungeon Petz/Lords have a tiny, but totally consistent-within-flavor justification? ('1 imp can't carry a cage by itself', 'clerics are jerks', etc.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Prairie Bus posted:

That's sorta what I mean- do the mechanics demand that a pet removed from the market add one meat to the stalls (or vegetable, or gold)? Mechanical robustness was sacrificed there - the game would be mechanically superior without that rule. These rules add mechanical fat to the game, but they make it better.
I think without that rule, you'd probably find the market to end up being just a little lighter on food than it should be. It's an elegant solution to a problem that would be difficult to just patch up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Epic Spell War of the Battle Wizards with an episode of Superjail playing in the background. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

apparently they get a bunch of rules wrong and are sort of houseruling others, who'd have thought
So, have we decided what the definitive shark-jumping point for SU&SD was? The second sci-fi special was pretty bad, but personally, I feel like the quality began to wane right around the time they started putting The Opener in the mix, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm actually relatively willing to forgive the Few Acres of Snow thing, because it's a singular issue. It's kind of like their obsession with Cosmic Encounters. You know they're wrong, but we all have a fondness for the first game we played in a specific genre. Stone Age was my first worker placement game, and I've almost certainly got some nostalgia goggles on in regards to it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished up the rough draft of a new game. Dragon, Griffon, Troll, a two player abstract strategy/deduction game inspired by what I felt where some flaws in Battleship's design. It could also seriously use some playtesting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

malkav11 posted:

This bit sounds better than Descent 2e, frankly. Not that it's particularly good design, but I'd sure as gently caress rather subtract a fixed defense value than subtract a randomly rolled one like Descent 2e makes you do. Not because it's "less cumbersome", but because it's less randomness involved in combat outcomes. As the Overlord I routinely completely whiffed defenses in a way that made combat pretty onesided.
If I'm reading this right, you subtract from each die individually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Robust Laser posted:

I know the imps in Dungeon Petz will work good in a pinch as caltrops, but are there any board games with pieces as dangerous as that, or even more dangerous?
Don't Pee On The Electric Fence is notoriously dangerous.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was dragged into the hobby by Arkham and Catan. I think I took well to Arkham because of all the time I've spent with tabletop RPGs, so it felt like familiar territory. Munchkin has never been super fun for me, but I had friends that enjoyed it. So, what can you do?

(The first game I actually bought with my own money was Betrayal, though. :negative:)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've never seen a review so full of backhanded compliments that actually manages to make the reviewers look like they're insulting themselves instead of the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This page is just the master of days-old news, isn't it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gort posted:

Yeah, definitely this. The game falls apart when played in any kind of long-term league or tournament since some teams have tons of good ways to advance their players and others get diddly.
Thankfully, most of the teams that have this happen are balanced by having a very strong early-season game. As a specific example, playing Norse or Amazon is basically saying "I want all my players on the fast track to getting Blodge, and don't really care that everyone's gonna have that by mid-season there's not much upward momentum for them after that".

Gutter Owl posted:

Okay, that's another potential issue with Blood Bowl: The factions are notably imbalanced. It's important to note that this is by design--several teams are "comedy options" that intentionally exacerbate the dice mechanics, and are meant to be taken as a form of handicapping for experienced players.

Unfortunately, the joke teams aren't very well signposted. There's a line of small print text at the beginning of the team roster section, saying that certain teams are meant for experienced players only. But:
  • The callout is easy to miss.
  • The callout doesn't say why new players should avoid these teams.
  • The callout doesn't differentiate between challenging but powerful teams (Dark Elves, Chaos) and complete joke teams (Vampires, Halflings).
So a new player can easily stumble into one of these teams, invest in the miniatures, and get stuck with negative play experience after negative play experience until they quit.

Additionally, even within a given "tier," teams are meant to be balanced across their whole careers, not for specific team values. For instance, a fresh Dwarf team has an advantage against almost every other fresh team, but gradually loses steam as the opposing teams gain crucial skills. Conversely, a Chaos team is basically a weak Orc team until mid-career, where their superior development options start to snowball. Over the course of a league, the imbalance evens out between early-career, mid-career, and late-career teams. But if a new player starts with a late-career team, they might not stick with the game long enough to survive the rough early career.
These are all very good points. It kind of creates a strange environment where Blood Bowl is one of the worst games to try and jump into cold, but is much easier when you've got other players who can introduce you, explain things like "Don't take an Ogre on your first Human team, you goober", and keep you on your feet while you learn the ropes.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 28, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game fails at strategy. It fails at campaign play. It fails at making interesting decisions for your players. It's fine for a one-off game but please don't play league Blood Bowl.
TL;DR: Blood Bowl is the largest, most convoluted, most rules-dense press your luck dice game in existence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm kinda interested to try out Final Attack! solo play, but like half the fun seems to be the shouting between other people. What balances out not having to do most of that? Just the extra brainspace taken up by playing the whole game solo?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

bowmore posted:

I didn't totally hate it
Just for perspective, how do you feel about Munchkin?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not only is the Oatmeal game nearing 5 million dollars, but a horrible dicefest board game is just running away with success, too.

God, I'm getting bitter recently.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ravendas posted:

You're mostly describing Xia as well, that other new fly-around-in-space game.
It really says something when "vastly improved Firefly game" is still kinda poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Good choice.

I also think I remember hearing that Dungeon Lords is wicked fun with two, since he already has that. And Dungeon Petz is really great too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

Apparently doing something for free grants you the eternal gratitude of everyone and makes you free from criticism. Doubly so if you were the first person to do it.

Also I'm supposed to feel bad about criticizing Vasel because that is a petty thing to do.

What a bunch of horseshit.
Offer to kick them in the nuts for free.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there any silver lining spin to exploding kittens? Is it possible that it brings any new people into the fold? My sunny disposition and awesome attitude makes we want to believe but I actually think "nope". Feels like the freemium of nerd games
It's something your friends will break out instead of Munchkin?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just spent the last two days home sick, and hammering out a Pokemon hack for HeroQuest of all things, to get some online friends to dip their toes into other board games.

This is my life, these are my choices. :cripes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I like that you are more ashamed of the Heroquest than the Pokemon.
I'm old enough to be okay with having taste in childish things. I'm somewhat less okay with having taste in roll-and-move board games. (Related note: I think I still have a bunch of house rules for the Pokemon: Master Trainer board game stashed somewhere on my hard drive.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zylen posted:

Now I'm a huge fan of Vlaada Chvatil, already owning Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker, so I'm pretty excited for the new arrivals. However I was wondering if there are any tips or things I need know before the boyfriend and I dive in - most likely with regards to Mage Knight?
Mage Knight is really difficult to learn until all the rules 'click'. I've heard varying reports about either solo play or playthrough videos for learning it, rather than just the rules. Whatever works better for your learning style.

Oh, and definitely get a solo play in before you try to teach it to someone else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

tarbrush posted:

In fairness, his review picked that up. And given that the theme is bang on, either he's getting more discerning or the minigames are really awful.
Or his tastes are completely arbitrary.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I guess the point I'm driving at is that I don't trust SU&SD to review beyond the scope of their own personal tastes any more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rumda posted:

Good look finding worthwhile reviews on anything if that's your sticking point.
Don't be obtuse. What I mean is that they don't really consider "why did I like how X did this, but not how Y did", and therefore, they don't really consider why someone else might or might not enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

General consensus seems to be that bad randomness makes your choices irrelevant, but good randomness makes your choices different. See: The big acceptance of "randomness applied before your actions".