Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello, I was wondering if anybody here has ever heard of and played a game called Neuroshima Hex. I stumbled upon it while trying to find another board game and it looks pretty neat but when I used the forums search feature, I couldn't find any mention of it here so I don't know if anyone else even knows this game exists.

Also, why does it say not to buy from wizkids in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Neuroshima Hex is okay. I played it once and was neither particularly enthused or repulsed by it. It is a game that just is. I think there is an app for it, though.

Well unfortunately I don't have any device that uses apps so welp

GrandpaPants posted:

Wizkids has terrible QA, most prominently in their handling of Mage Knight, where cards had different coloring and sizes across expansions. This peaked when a monster token was released that was smaller than previous tokens of the same type, and Wizkids, to their credit, sent out replacements, but the replacement was then missing one of the abilities of said monster.

I always thought mage knight looked neat (although daunting), is different coloring/sizing a major thing? Was it like a significant difference or was it just minor differences? Though that last bit is lol "whoops forgot the ability"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I got Arena of the Planeswalkers today and I look forward to playing it. I never played heroscape but it looked really fun and I wish I had gotten the chance growing up to give it a try, but I guess this is the next best thing since my understanding is that AotP is literally just heroscape but with a magic the gathering theme, which I'm fine with even though idk poo poo about MtG and have no desire to play any of the MtG TCG stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Dungeon Roll a good game

I see coolstuffinc is selling it at the moment bundled with 3 expansions for cheap and I've never heard of it, but me never hearing of it doesn't mean much cause I haven't heard of a lot of board games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Watched a review. Looks pretty cool to me, but I'm a sucker for dice games :shrug:

Which review did you watch, I'm curious because I saw a review by tom vasel but the comments on it said that it was a bad review where he didn't understand some of the game's rules and was also mad about aspects of the game that he praised other games for doing, but I saw another review by uhhh rodney whatshisface the "watch it played" dude and he seemed to enjoy it a lot and made it seem like a lot of fun

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not a good game. You'll be bored in 5 minutes.

Oh ok

CaptainRightful posted:

Rodney does an excellent job explaining how to play games, but he doesn't really offer an opinion. I watched him play Machi Koro with his kids and he seemed to enjoy it a lot and made it seem like a lot of fun, so don't misinterpret his genial nature as rigorous critical evaluation.

I guess in this context Machi Koro is a bad game? I've never heard of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have no idea what this game is like, and I will never play it because I can't afford to buy random board games and I don't speak Polish so I wouldn't be able to understand it, but I loving love this cover art.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cenotaph posted:

It's a trick taking game

I don't know what this means

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gesundheit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What is a trick in this context

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok so it's just "people put cards in center, whoever makes a specific hand wins that group of cards and takes them"?

Is that close at all?

I think I'm just too stupid to understand sorry :\ not trying to be a nuisance, I've just never heard of the term before and I've never played any except hearts and I never actually understood what the heck was going on in hearts

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWHJA087iu0&t=131s

"Right"
"Very clear. Very clear."
"Very clear."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are we describing games we want to see, games that already exist, or games that are terrible ideas and shouldn't exist but might exist

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Merauder posted:

A little from column A, mostly from column C.

Ok

A tile and card based game where a player picks a farmer and utilizes unique abilities to manage their farm while choosing what crops to grow and having four decks, one for each season, containing events that decide values of various types of crops depending upon the season, all while the farmers use their earnings to purchase more seeds in order to grow more crops or special expensive items that will require investment to obtain but will provide some sort of benefit to the player at the cost of land

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanted to look up gameplay vids of Hive, that hexagon tile bug game thing, cause it looks neat. Found this dude's video. Started watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJI_9cnhEQU

20 seconds in I'm all "that's certainly an intro"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has anybody here played the neuroshima tabletop game (not Hex or Convoy, but the tabletop dice-rolling RP game)? If you have, can you tell me if they brought over all of the factions from that to Neuroshima Hex, or are there still a bunch of potential factions they could bring over?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Had to pause and check to make sure they didn't misspell Train as Tarin. Not a very good font choice imo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Azran posted:

I... I had no idea there was a tabletop game :psyduck:

My understanding is that they made a tabletop rpg with their own rpg system, but it was polish only, then made some card game called convoy and a hex game called neuroshima hex (tho idk which order they made those in) and both of those got english translations but the original tabletop didn't.

I'm mostly curious about the factions because I guess most, if not all, of the neuroshima hex factions are taken from the tabletop game so I'm curious if there are any other factions that haven't been adapted to neuroshima hex yet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What kind of game is relic knights? Is it a miniature war game or something where you're expected to keep buying new miniatures to fill out your army or is it some other kind of game, I'm not entirely certain. It doesn't have a wikipedia article and whenever I tried looking up info on the creator's website, I got some lore poo poo about the different factions and that it's a strategy game but idk if it's one of those games where everything you need is already in the box or if it's more along the lines of war games where you're intended to keep buying other miniatures. Also, while trying to look through the dev's site for information, I ended up finding out that they're also putting out this. Huh.

Lichtenstein posted:

Uh, yes and no? It's kind oif difficult to judge. There's a bunch of unused city-states with their own flavor (like New York and Vegas), yet there's still both question whether they're flavorful enough and the fact game has already reached for some obscure or non-canon poo poo (e.g. Dancer was pulled out of some rando's rear end and Portal liked the mechanics).

Having said that, Oracz is very mechanics-first when it comes to design, so it's more about creativity and economics rather than filling out the setting.

Well hopefully he can think of good mechanics for some pirates then because I read that the neuroshima setting has its own rulebook dedicated to post-apocalypse piracy and I'd love to see an army based around that. Also, there are already Hex sets for New York and Vegas, so they're definitely not unused.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

For example, my favorite minor touch is the Orbital - there's four astronauts stuck on the International Space Station with no way out now that apocalypse has happened, who took to broadcasting amateur radio back to Earth to stave off loneliness, ranging from good-natured survival tips, through poetry and cookbook readings to blasting one of some five music CDs they have at hand.

This owns.

Now I want a pirates tileset and also a mini expansion of those guys just chillin in space blasting music and stuff

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Rattle, Battle, Grab the Loot a good dice game?

It looked like it could be fun but I've seen reviews saying it's too random with the dice and that the measuring mechanic makes it unfun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Nope, it's poo poo crap poop.

drat. Oh well, thanks!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What does dice allocation mean?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

You allocate a number of dice to something and the outcome is determined by what you roll on them. So you might put all your resources into something risky, get all failures, and waste your turn... or get all 6s and gain an insurmountable lead.

Ah okay thank you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The End posted:

Too true. Maybe a better way to put it is 'the one Ignacy game that isn't a broken mess'?

What's wrong with Ignacy's games? I haven't played any, I'm wondering how they're broken messes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

I've defended Robinson Crusoe here before as an entertaining experience with great artwork, components, and storytelling--but it could be considered a "broken" game because bad card draws or dice rolls make it unwinnable, no matter how sound your strategy may be. Ignacy revealed his biggest flaw as a designer once by telling the story of how he asked Vlaada to playtest Robinson Crusoe. Vlaada pointed out the exact problem with the event card probability and Ignacy misunderstood his advice. He made irrelevant adjustments without addressing the core problem.

So should I just be wary of Imperial Settlers and 51st State then, because I thought both looked neat but if they're largely just luck and random with broken mechanics then....

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Without having played imperial settlers and only having seen gameplay videos of it, how do you get into a situation where you aren't even getting any resources?? It seems like something you'd have to try to do, instead of razing your cards or making deals.

Do any of the expansions improve upon imperial settlers?

Also, if I don't mind the randomness at all, is quarriors at least fun for a quick mindless playthrough game with lots of pretty dice and stuff? Also also, same question but replace quarriors with "dice masters."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The End posted:

Yep. It's called 51st state. You expand IS by selling it and getting 51st instead.

Seriously though, there's no point trying to polish IS. Just get the non-broke version instead.

I just liked the look of IS more is all :shrug: admittedly I have no money and no income so I wasn't gonna buy them anytime soon anyway but I would have likely ended up getting both

SilverMike posted:

It's not so much not making resources. With good starts, it's just possible to make a hell of a lot more resources than others, giving you more turns before you need to bow out for the round.

What's preventing other players from just attacking whoever is in the lead to cripple their resources?

Big McHuge posted:

King's Forge is light, has pretty dice, and isn't terrible.

:\ what's so terrible about it? All of the reviews I watched made it look like a fun albeit simplistic time.

food court bailiff posted:

Quarriors is really stupid. It's fun once in a blue moon but it's too random to be really fun most of the time, and I'm saying that as one of the thread's resident Betrayal at the House on the Hill supporters. I think some of the expansions make it a little more cohesive, but I don't remember what any of them do and when I'm in the mood to play Quarriors (read: staggeringly drunk) I never feel like reading the expansion rules to figure out what is what.

Dice Masters is literally Quarriors 1.5. It's pretty much the same game made by the same guy but in a collectible format with superheroes. Some things are ironed out a bit. Personally that's something I really dig when I'm in the mood for some dice chuckin' (see above) but again it's really not for everyone.

I don't mind something stupid and simple since I only get to play board games once in a blue moon anyway, so I guess quarriors and dice masters would be fun for me, though I'm wary of dice masters due to the collectible aspect of it since I'm not really into CCGs and would rather not have something I'm expected to drop multiple dollars on booster packs for the random chance of getting the characters and corresponding dice I think look neat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Imagine a game of poker where someone starts with pocket aces while another person has a 2 and 9 of different suits and there's no bluffing element. Yes it is possible for the latter to win, but the first person starts with such a huge advantage that you're wondering why you're even playing. And even if you're the guy dominating the game, there's a distinct feeling of "Oh I won because I drew the right cards" vs "Oh I'm winning because I'm awesome at thinking." Some people enjoy the experience of winning regardless of whether they care it was earned, while others want to feel a real sense of victory. And even then, I'd still probably recommend other games for the former than Imperial Settlers (e.g., King of Tokyo/New York).

That's a shame. Oh well. It seemed like such a neat game, too! I've never played any of ignacy's games. Oh well. :\ I appreciate the explanation, though!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I keep seeing reviews of pandemic stuff that mentions "spoiler free" and I'm just wondering, what kind of game is pandemic that it has spoiler warnings and stuff? Is it something you can only play through once or twice because afterwards you'll know too much about the game?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skypie posted:

Guessing it's for Pandemic: Legacy which takes you through an in-game year and things permanently change based on your actions in each month's scenario.

Base Pandemic has a lot of replayability, for me anyway. I've always enjoyed playing it. Things always happen in different orders and people make different decisions so it doesn't always feel like it plays out identically every time.

Yeah it was Legacy. What does the Legacy part mean anyway, is that a style of board game or just a fancy word they added to differentiate it from normal pandemic?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ah, ok, thanks for the information everyone! :)

Man, board games are really daunting, huh. An old friend was telling me that I should try to design my own board game but I pretty much told her no way no how, that stuff's complicated and requires money, effort, drive, and skill I don't have. I don't know how some of the more popular game devs manage to do it haha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Artisanal Horror Boutique Miniatures

e:

Countblanc posted:

Once you play a lot of board games a lot of times you start to see patterns in designs, and wonder "huh, I wonder if you could fix [thing] by adding [mechanic from other game]?" and go from there.

Maybe with this in mind, I will one day feel comfortable with going forth with trying to design my idea for an asymmetrical card game about managing your farm

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 14, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jedit posted:

<draws encounter card>

You sight a wild Rutibex!

Do you:

... run?
... fight?
... hit the Ignore button?

/help

Who is that and why are they bad

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are some good board game video reviewers? I see dice tower everywhere but tom vasel does most of those and idk what it is (aside from the dumb hats) but I just don't really like him, though I enjoy Zee's stuff from dice tower. I like shut up & sit down and I like the watch it played stuff from rodney smith. Are there any other board game reviewers of note, or is that pretty much it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

You are correct, Tom is an autistic baby, Sam is even worse, and Zee is alright.

Is he legitimately autistic or are you trying to insult him, I'm not sure.

Sam comes off as very angry though, I'm not a fan of him cause hoo boy he just seems to get real fuckin mad about stuff that doesn't seem to be worth getting mad about.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
GG videos?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's wrong with the game exploding kittens

I don't know anything about it, what is it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know what's good? Jell-o.

But okay, I'm sorry. :\ I'm not trying to cause any problems, I'm just new to board game stuff and I don't know a lot of stuff and I figured it was easier to just ask here when I needed clarification. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Exploding Kittens is basically Russian Roulette and Uno mixed together. There's a deck with 3 types of cards: Exploding Kitten, which when drawn eliminates you from the game, Diffuse, which is protection when drawing the former card (you play diffuse and stick the kitten back in the deck somewhere), and various Uno-like action cards. Skip turn, draw more cards, steal cards, etc. A turn goes: Optionally play action cards, then draw a card. Last man standing wins. That's it. The whole game right there.

Yikes

food court bailiff posted:

I really enjoy a lot of games even if they're objectively bad and the rest of the thread rightfully hates them.

Exploding Kittens is not one of those games.

There is no fun to be had there.

The one time I played it it sucked so badly that I actually felt really bad for the girl that brought it.

Was the game reviewed well at all, because with how successful it was, I have to imagine there was some kind of backlash, yeah?

Maybe?