Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Japanese RPGs thread, but I'll be heading off to Tokyo for vacation fairly soon and wanted to poll the thread on if there were any known Japanese exclusive games that were worth checking out. Last time I was in the country, I picked up Kobayakawa, and since then, quite a few more games from the region have gained English releases (e.g. other Oink Games titles such as Troll and In a Grove; Tragedy Looper). With how much more frequently popular games from Japan have been finding international releases, it doesn't seem likely that there'll be any games that are recommendable, not yet localized, and still potentially findable, but if anyone's got a tip, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I think the fascists' executive policy track is the one novel thing about the game, and could be an interesting balancing act, if done correctly. The rest is pretty much copy pasted Resistance, only using Dark Moon's lousy random voting element which protects bad liars and potentially screws up a team's plans arbitrarily.
The working draft of the rules allows some mitigation against bad draws at match point though - the Chancellor and President can agree to veto adding a policy if there are five Fascist policies on the board.

The game seems like a combination of minor, but logically reasonable twists and melding of traitor-genre game concepts. Seems like it's a solid formula, but $25 solid? Not quite sure of that yet.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

How hard is it to get into Go? I talked to a friend about it, and it seems like a cool game. I understand that starting in my 30s means I can't ever really be good, but I'm more curious how much you can get out of the game as a novice.

I was gonna break out of my lurker shell to provide a contrast to angel opportunity's post, but after writing some stuff down and thinking about it, I actually can't disagree. But I'm still going to make a post. Yes, Go is hard to learn to play well. Rules come easy, but good gameplay is hard. It takes some dedication and regular practice to gain skills, and you have to be brave and willing enough to take lots of hits and make peace with the fact that you're going to suck for a while. On the other hand, it is an incredibly satisfying game to learn to play. There is a lot of beauty in how such simple rules generate such complexity in actual play. I have an extreme appreciation for the professionals' gameplay and the efforts taken by those behind master-level AI players. It's definitely worth trying out for a little bit to see if it fits you.

For myself, I started playing after the first AlphaGo matches (March 2016), and I'm in my mid-30s, and was already a big board and video game enthusiast. Fortunately, I had a local club to go to each week to learn more about the game and play with folks who were willing to show me the ropes. It's definitely possible to enjoy Go as well as other modern boardgames at the same time. Unfortunately, I stopped attending the club in November due to vacation and holiday business and I've found it hard to get back in. But I still dabble in the game: I'll do some Go puzzles each day and do some book reading before bed. I don't have much time or energy for playing games, but I'll spend most mornings watching games being played while eating my breakfast. I still enjoy the game as a spectator, and I can't regret the effort I put into learning the game to my current state. Every person who plays will get something different out of the game, and I've gotten my worth. It is very much something that you carry with for your life after spending some time with it, even as a lapsed player. But maybe, maybe I get the feeling I should keep going and take those last few steps to get to single-digit kyu ranking...

I guess you might also try asking folks in the forum's Go players' thread for their perspectives as well?

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

homullus posted:

After hearing about A Fake Artist Goes to New York off and on in this thread for a while, I finally ordered it. I really did not expect the box to be so tiny and adorable. For those of you who have played Oink Games games other than Startups and Fake Artist, what are your favorites and why?
I'm gonna back up CaptainRightful's friend and agree that In a Grove takes too long for what it is. It's a compact bluffing / deduction game that just takes too long to play a true full game. Troll, on the other hand, I will recommend. It's a good mix of bluffing, and deduction, and actually fits the compact nature that you'd expect from Oink Games. I'll recommend Kobayakawa as a good distillation of poker concepts. Folks at my workplace love Deep Sea Adventure. Yes, it is a light push-your-luck game without many serious decisions. But with the right crowd, it's a good casual game to laugh at yourself and your friends' misfortunes.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

xiw posted:

In Tokyo for a week and the local shop has a huge stack of wieird Japanese games - any recommendations for things to look for that play okay with just translated rules? https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4y1rxs/good_stores_to_buy_japanese_board_games_from_in/ suggested Joraku which looks neat but any other suggestions would be grewat.

I've started to make a habit of stopping by Tokyo every couple of years to do some shopping and pick up obscure Japanese games. (If twice can be called a habit.) Most of my purchases have been duds, but I think my best hit has probably been High Tension Rikyu. It's indie as heck, and in hindsight, it's kind of a shame I didn't pick up their newer games last time I was there. While there is Japanese text on the cards, no reading comprehension is needed: counting symbols is enough. It's a pretty simple game, along the same lines as games in the Oink Games catalogue.

It's kind of a trick-taking game where in each round, each player plays a card from their hand, clockwise. Bid cards have strength 1 through 5, each player starts with the same distribution, and each bid card can only be played once during the game. First player must be face-up, everyone else can choose to be face up or face down. The player with the uniquely highest-value card wins the trick. (So, if the cards played are [4, 3, 4, 2], then the 3 wins.) The player who wins the trick pulls the number of cards off the reward deck (tea cakes) as the value of the card played. They select one card they want (valued 3 through 7) then pass the rest counter-clockwise until everyone takes a reward or all the rewards have been drafted. At the end of four tricks, the player with the highest number of rewards wins. However, in order for a player to be eligible, their total must be less than or equal to the total value of winning bid cards.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Well, at least for Root, the components associated with each faction is listed on the back of each one's board, excepting their VP tracking token. Anything that doesn't line up (and has a mysterious letter on the back of it) can then be assumed to be an extra. Not the ideal scenario since it's not obvious, but at least it's something?

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Once upon a time in Duel of Ages 1, their forum had a character creation contest, and I was someone in high school with way too much time on their hands. I submitted a character idea/mechanic, and it got accepted with some tweaks, so every time you draw/draft/whatever the gambler character, just know that that was me (although I named him Jack Spade because that's a cooler name, dammit).
Oh hey, I remember that contest. I submitted a character concept for a modern character that was completely mediocre in every way, which ended up getting reworked into the much more evocative Brad, the Slacker. I also won a different contest around the game for identifying the character most in need for buffs, as part of their final Master Addendum expansion. Winning that raffle got me a complete copy of the game, which sadly I never got to a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
Viticulture's a solid mid-weight euro that'll probably do well with your group at 5 players - make sure you get the Essential Edition as it's got a few bits in there that were originally expansion modules. Power Grid's a good game overall, but I'm not certain it'll play as well given what's in your "Tolerated" list. There's a lot of opportunity for brain burning and analysis paralysis that can cause the game's length to go quite long. Then again, you've got Concordia in your "Beloved" list, and Power Grid's just a couple steps away and up from there.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 5, 2019