Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Replace the OP with a link to http://www.shutupandsitdown.com please

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cash n Guns: what's the First Edition like? I played the second recently and while it was brilliant drunken fun, it felt like it was mechanically missing something. I'd love a round of negotiation, for example, where you could promise anything, but only have to follow through on immediate promises. Things like bullets, blanks, treasure, pointing your gun at someone else etc.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Guess what just arrived!

BioTech posted:

drat this thread.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Does it even have a set release date? They had planned to show off sine stuff at Gencon (I think), but it wasn't ready to show at that point.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Kemet trip report: I got completely beaten up! All was going swimmingly until a few turns in, when I realised I'd been buying stuff haphazardly and my opponent had an army of 7 with the scorpion that could teleport anywhere. Game ended when she got 9 points with that crazy army and I had literally nothing on the board left alive. Good fun! All I want to do is play it again now (and try all the cool combinations I realised halfway through)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

pinegala posted:

Any recommendations for a late Xmas gift? Friend is a decent board games fan - huge fan of acquire, hates Catan, has but is equivocal about power grid, ticket to ride, carcassonne, the 4 player warhammer themed one, and a few of the Japanese themed ones. His favorite game was probably munchkin but we stopped because of the imbalances of the original game and mediocrity of the expansions. I was thinking castles of burgundy based on the last few pages but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Edit:also has and loves Arabian nights but it's more of a storytelling mechanism than a game

The four player Warhammer one is probably Chaos in the Old World. If he likes that, Kemet has a similar feel (play as a god, upgrading troops to make very different tactics work, and an emphasis on attacking your opponent screw up their plans) and is brilliant fun. It's a fair bit more streamlined too.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 23, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Nobody touched on this. So yeah, the Hostile Intent and Hidden Agenda manuals are pretty loving terrible. If you haven't played Avalon, there's no indicator what half the Hidden Agenda role cards even do.

To answer your question, the Spy Chief portion is an error, and you are correct. In 5-6 player games, you use the Chief investigation card, and you instead use the faction-specific cards in 7+ player games. Also, Dummy gets to choose their card, I think, but I'll have to look it up to make sure.

Indie Boards and Cards is such a terrible company. I'm going to write up a rulebook and post it online because they won't.

The decision to split The Resistance into two themes is annoying as hell; I bought Avalon, and now I'm left wondering if that was a stupid choice and I should have got The Resistance instead. I'm sure as hell not buying the same game twice though just to get some mildly different options!

What's the point behind that decision? Is it just a cash in?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Spot on thread title, tekopo

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The attitude of the update is even worse. "If you back anything I make on kickstarter then it's your fault" :psyduck:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Azran posted:

Alright, good recommendations so far. The people I play with looooove games where you compete against each other and try to be the most amazing dick. That aside, how's Ladies & Gentlemen/The Resistance? Those picked my interest.

I've only played The Resistance: Avalon (The Resistance 2.0?) and it's simple and loud fun. The first play was last week with a bunch of friends (11 in total, two paired up) on the final night of our holiday and we had an evening filled with shouting, pleading, arguments, laughing and total cruelty. It seems custom designed to make drum-roll moments where the whole table's fate comes down to the reveal of the last card, and the play time really allows for cartoonish reveals of your evil card at the end, or properly satisfying deduction where you just figure out one of your best mates must be evil. And then they notice and tell everyone you're the evil one and you have a delicious and unprovable argument that just causes more confusion.

It's cliched, but you really do play each other and not the game, especially with a couple of plays in a go where people's characters are drawn right out.

This is with a group who've played Mafia a lot, so we already had a lot of narratives going about people ("she's always evil!"), and everyone took to it pretty quickly when sober-ish (a drunken attempt failed miserably). People did miss the lynch and reveal aspect of Mafia, plus Mafia's total injustice and speed-lynching some poor sod, but swapping those for the bits of information you get over several rounds makes for actual deduction. Overall it's mechanically a much better game, and drat good fun.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 8, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's a great OP for understanding the hobby, but as an introduction for new people wanting to play games it's kinda daft.

"Welcome to the hobby! Board games are fun. Now read this terminology and look at Battlestar Galactica. It's two hours long and has lots of fiddly mechanics and wait wait where are you going"

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

amazing. it's like you're pretending to have read the post but without even taking a token effort to skim the drat thing
The point of my criticism: that wall of text is offputting to someone completely new to the hobby and reinforces the stereotype that board games are full of jargon and require in-depth knowledge to play, followed by an example that says it plays two hours. At this point (several paragraphs in) you've gone over terminology, history, context and everyone will still be thinking Monopoly.

It's a really useful OP for people who want to understand modern board gaming, or chat in the thread about games on useful terms. It's also a textbook example of how not to interest casual people in a new hobby.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 8, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Alex WS posted:

I'm looking to buy a strategy game with territory building and conflict between players. Preferably one with a strong theme and unique player abilities. I was pretty much decided on Small World, but the more I read about it, the more it seems very, very light, and easily outgrown. My group really enjoy Risk Legacy and Eclipse, so Small World might be too light? I've looked briefly on a few other games. I really want a game playable by more than 2 players (so BattleLore and Mage Wars are no gos), and preferably with good art and cool looking units (no wooden cubes thanks). Any good suggestions? Is RuneWars good?

Kemet rules and hits every one of your points out of the park. As a bonus, it also skips the build-up stage of strategy games and goes right into fighting and vendettas.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

SU&SD hit that point in expansion where lots of people have heard of them, so it's now cool to dislike them.

But yeah, that sci fi episode was pretty bad :(

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The Catan app tracks how long each player takes and displays it at the end.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

What are these "theme-based mechanics" in the game with four actions including "do nothing"?

Imagine writing off criticising a game when you don't understand one of the basic mechanics :rimshot:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Anyone fancy a game of Kemet here via the forums? I played over the holidays and have still got a total craving to play it, and think it'd work fine; Chaos in the Old World was cool as a PBP, and Kemet is definitely simpler and shorter.

I'd do the bookkeeping, so it shouldn't even be that fiddly to play. New players definitely welcome!

For the record: I've played it three times, all with people completely new to it, and lost horribly three times. I'm not very good at Kemet.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 22, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's cool! I've edited it into my post, but I've played 3 times and lost 3 times, all against other new players. Discovering strategy as you gently caress up is definitely fun.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

For DI Cards we can use handtracker, I've just made a template with all the cards: http://handtracker.herokuapp.com/templates/333

Battles will be a bit fiddly. I'll make an email we use as a record.

When players have a battle, all they need to do is email their choice to the record email, and then post that they're ready. Then both players reveal and play battle as normal. If I'm involved in a battle we can just email a third party instead. This should work fine with battle card powers like Presience too.

To make that work, the battle discards will need to be public, but that's cool.

I'll make a thread and stop cluttering this one in an hour or so!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 22, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The Kemet PBP thread is up! I've saved slots for me, StashAugustine, Fat Samurai and BioTech. Jedit, if nobody else speaks up I'd love to have you, but I agree with keeping the game noob-friendly.

So: that leaves one slot open for a relatively new to Kemet player. Come on in!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 22, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

JohnnySavs posted:

Let's do this.
Galaxy trucker with Gravity soundtrack (panic attack inducing)
Kemet with the Mummy (maybe Stargate?)
Letters from Whitechapel with the recent Sherlock Holmes' soundtracks

The Starship Troopers soundtrack has a wonderfully grand and pompous style; it'd fit any slow and pompous military advance. Probably perfect for Twighlight Imperium, though I've not played it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cold War games actually need this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

So, you have been playing this thing for three hours? Think that you're going to win? Think that your decisions in the face of completely random events were the best and that's why you've reached this point?

gently caress you. You lose. Now you get to sit quietly until your friends finish playing the game.*

*I have never played Talisman, let alone whatever that card comes from. I'm just guessing.

I'm going to put that into our Kemet game as a DI card

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Played my first game of Kemet yesterday. 2 hours for a 2 player game, from rules explanation to packing poo poo up and discussing the game a bit, I guess a little less of 90 minutes of real gameplay. Explaining the rules was a little more convoluted that I expected (we went through every power tile), and I was quite surprised at how fast events developed after we both picked up some steam. I think the entire game lasted 4 or 5 night phases tops.

How do you usually explain Kemet? Everything is so tied together that I felt the need of jumping from one topic to another. "So you win VPs by winning battles and occupying temples. Oh, and having level 4 pyramids. And you get to level 4 pyramids by using an order and pay PPs. PPs you get from occupying temples and..."

It's crazily tied together! After a bad attempt, I now
* Do a very quick look at the board (temples, cities, obelisks) with little explanation
* go through the actions board, starting with money and pray, then upgrade pyramids, then buy upgrades, then recruit.
With recruit and pyramids I explain city districts.
Then I mention that the temples on the board have a temporary victory attached without needing to build them up to level 4 and explain movement and fighting.

It works nicely, as it initiallygives the impression you sit back, raise money and spend it on upgrading pyramids, which everyone gets an easy grasp on. Then when you point out the temples give money and victory points and so does fighting over them, people's eyes light up and they're ready to attack!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Is it fixable, and how much work would it take to turn into a good game?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Meh, as noted, just making it a die roll would do much the same. But making it non-random would do more - making flight through a sector move the relevant baddie automatically and if you land up in the wrong square, you resolve it. No salvage ops or family dinners at all, probably.

I also think buying disgruntled crew should have some kind of cost - it's entirely too easy for them to get randomly disgruntled and when they are, too easy for someone to just pinch them. Maybe a fuel and a part, to represent the cost of actually physically moving them from ship to ship, and the shipboard gear they presumably take with them like space suits or whatever.

Basically, as noted earlier, it's a bad, bad game and basically needs a complete redesign in order to work. Or, instead of playing it, just have some friends over and watch firefly whilst playing a better space trading game like Merchants of Venus or that mining one where you go round four sectors of the board in a little rocket ship whose name I can't for the life of me remember.

Or Galaxy Trucker, actually.

That sucks, I was hoping I could grab it and make something fun with it :smith:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

What's the best number of players for Archipelago? The box says "plays 2-5", but is it a Game of Thrones style bullshit number?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Quick rule question for Kemet: If you move and attack someone, can you keep moving after the battle?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Cheers! That's how I've played it so far, but wanted to be sure.
e: thanks parasyte.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Coup and Love Letter will work fine (I've played them while standing on a train), but won't fill 4 hours.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Kemet for two is a zero-sum game, and it's not balanced around that.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I've backed it, BL! I don't like the video or the card template, but the game and its mechanics sound great.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

The selling point of Argent seems to be that it brings multiple tried-and-tested mechanics together to make a difficult game, rather than claiming to invent something new. I'd be interested to see the criticism of that (genuinely interested: I've not played it or read much about it!)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Reminder to guys that backed this: the pledge manager closes after tomorrow. Glad this kickstarter was brought up here, as I hadn't checked! I'm now locked in for the $100 base set, which looks pretty awesome, and the fact that they're playtesting the rules was what swung it for me.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Nope, you hide them under your battle card when you place that face down, so your choice is totally hidden.

That said, I'm not sure if you can play more than one in a combat; that's never come up in the games I've played.

Edit:

KiloVictorDongs posted:

I took the plunge and got Kemet, and my little babby player group took to murdering one another like ducks to bloody water. It was awesome, but we had a rule question--how does Pyramid ownership work? If someone invades my district, do they control my pyramid until I move troops into that area again, or does the pyramid revert to my control as soon as they leave the district, even if I never put troops in that space again?

Edit: Whoa, that's a weird coincidence.
Pyramids belong to the city's owner unless there are enemy troops on them. They revert back to being yours when the enemy leaves.

Also: awesome! It's amazing to see players who're timid or defensive in strategy games play Kemet when they realise the mechanics fit attacking. It's just so much more fun!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 16, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

In practise it can be difficult disguising whether or not you've added DI cards.

What I do is slap the cards down at the same time: adds a bit of theatre and hides the DI card too!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

It's a common misconception that 18XX refers to the time period, but it's actually the suggested retail price.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Everyone brings this up, but it's a rule you'll never miss once it's pointed out to you because you know there is something weird going on. I'm much more likely to forgetting adding gold mana after finishing my turn in a Glade, for example.

In other news, someone stole my messenger bag the other day. Given that it was laptop-sized, I'm enjoying some schadenfreude imagining the face of the thief when he noticed that I was only carrying a foreign language copy of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective.

Anyway, I was going to give the game away, having finished all the cases (with all the deductive prowess of a stunned magpie), so now I’m kinda bummed. Would anyone be interested in a PbP game, as a way of sucking up to karma or something? I was thinking 3 players per case, either rotating the crew or soldiering on if the interest keeps up.

I would definitely be up for that, have been meaning to try that game for a while.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Lorini posted:

I would recommend Kemet.

Seconding this. I bought it on this thread's recommendation several months ago, and it's seen more play than anything else I've got, including filler games like Coup and Love Letter. People just love it halfway through turn 1. I think the best bit is there's just no bullshit. No number tracking or fiddly bits or all the crap that reminds you you're playing with plastic and cardboard; it's all telling people you're going to kill their troops and take the temple from their still-warm hands. Then you teleport in a die horribly and everyone laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Seriously? Your first post in this thread is to pimp your lame rear end unboxing livestream?