Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
From the old thread:

T-Bone posted:

Can anyone recommend some fun games for competitive backstabbing jerks? I was looking at the Game of Thrones and BSG games, but Lifeboats and Goblins Inc. look fun too
Lifeboats and Intrigue are both good for making friends mad :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Dixit Legacy

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I do think Temporum feels a little more prone to tight endings because of a) how mathematically tight the player cards and zone actions are and b) "VP" (ie crowns) aren't exactly a zero-sum resource like victory cards in Dominion.

In other news, I played Steam Park with my sisters last night, reminds me of Galaxy Trucker in a lot of good ways. Game lasts six rounds, each round starting with everyone rolling their own set of dice, which can be individually stored or re-rolled. Similar to Galaxy Trucker, turn order is decided by the order in which people finish rolling their die. Different die faces let you build up your park in different ways, either by adding/expanding rides, building carnival stands which give you different abilities, attracting visitors, or playing bonus cards for money. However, pretty much everything you do also adds dirt to your park, which needs to be removed either by one of the die faces or by turn order bonus (each round's first and second player get to remove dirt for free, last is penalized with dirt). The way in which you attract visitors is quite clever too. There are six different colors of visitor corresponding to the six different colors of rides, at the start you put one of each color visitor in a bag. For each visitor action you resolve, you put one visitor of a color of your choice into the bag, then draw one out randomly, keeping any that match your rides with open spots, effectively letting you seed the visitor bag. You get money for each visitor in your park at the end of each round, but since visitors are permanent, each visitor also adds a dirt to your park at the start of each round.

Like I said, it feels like it learned a lot of good lessons from Galaxy Trucker. It's structured quite similarly, with a frantic "building" phase followed by a calmer "resolution" phase, but Steam Park's resolution taking a bit less time. The production is fantastic too, which really helps bring across the carnival aspect. The design of the rides and stands is a kind of whimsical and fantastical steampunk, and it's nice to just look at your park after the game ends.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Trasson posted:

So I came into some Amazon gift cards over the last few days, and I've been trying to figure out what to get. I've had my eyes on Through the Ages for a while. For the people here who've played it, what do you think? 7 Wonders and the FFG version of Civilization are both really drat popular with my friends so this should be square peg square hole, but I don't want to go and waste time and money if there's something else I could get.

TTA is amazing, but CGE is supposedly working on an improved version on it for 2015, so you might want to hold off. You can also play it online for free at BGA or BGO to give it a test run whether you decide to get it or not.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Just got the chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse today and had a blast with it. There are some flaws, but everyone had fun and we had some good losses and some good wins (varying from one silly win where we just locked a boss down until he slowly was chipped to death while we took 0 damage and healed each round, and one game where we curbstomped the boss to death in ~6 turns). Our group really enjoys co-op games. Are there any more in this vein with a nice quick setup time, ~1-1.5 hour play time, that are co-op?

Space Alert

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Full day of gaming today, with Le Havre, Space Alert, Timeline Inventions, Roads and Boats, and Splendor. A good day.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

This is the reason my group refers to it as the Pedo Maid Game and endlessly mocks our weeaboo friend who owns it.

Re Dominion alt arts, there's also the Nitroplus version.

There are also official Etrian Odyssey and Nippon Ichi reskins out there lol, and maybe another one I'm forgetting.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You can do it pretty much however you want, there aren't any rules for generating sets. Some people like to do drafts or give each player a veto on a card, but you can also just go complete random if you want as well.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

If you also like Earth Reborn but have no one to play with we're probably long-lost siblings or something.

I'm pretty sure this is actually everyone that owns Earth Reborn.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

And Leigh Alexander is Leigh Motherfucking Alexander. And I'm sure the goonmind hates her, because she's the sort of thing the goonmind hates--a pretentious essayist who mostly writes about her emotional relationship with pixels and cardboard. But as a counterpoint, gently caress you.

Leigh Alexander owns hard, and that Netrunner essay she wrote applies so well to competitive settings in general, it's fantastic.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mega64 posted:

For those who have played Roads & Boats, is playing with six players a bad idea? May try to get it played next month, and while I'm sure I'd have two others willing to play at least, I want to make sure it'd be fine with six in case anyone else was interested in playing.

Also, would it be too overwhelming to throw in the expansion stuff for everyone's first game? I know I'd have to add some of the extra tokens and stuff to accommodate six players if I go that route, but I'm wondering if it'd be a bad idea for a first game since there already seems to be a lot to go over with the base game.

If you're all new, definitely do not add expansion stuff. Base game is complex and difficult enough as is before you add art exhibitions, trains, bombers, managers, power plants, etc. I'd recommend against six players, especially if you're all new, though I guess it sort of depends on what map you pick. If you haven't already, you should give it a few solo runs to make sure you absolutely understand how everything interacts, and definitely brush up on conflict rules before you play it with actual people.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

echoMateria posted:

Then what city of The States has the best living enviroment for a gamer when all things are considered?

Philadelphia area is quite good. I could play with a good group just about every night if I wanted to.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

You'd think they'd catch something like that in playtesting. That's disgusting.

Good one.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Played Copycat for the first time last night. Cool blend of deckbuilding, worker placement, and TTA's market row, though I unfortunately got a major rule wrong. Also played Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, game still owns.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

EBag posted:

Has anyone played Arkwright?

I played a 2p game with Trynant last weekend at Magfest, and it's a phenomenal heavy-weight game. The game does have a learning scenario with simplified rules (spinning jenny), but I think it's worth jumping straight into the full game (waterframe) if you're used to heavy games, since it has a predetermined setup that you can use anyways if you want. The actual actions you can take aren't all that complex individually, the game just gives you a ridiculous amount of freedom within those actions that can paralyze you for a bit when you're first starting out, which the predetermined setup should help with somewhat. We managed to knock it out in about 3.5 hours, but lorini I think has said her games can go up to 4.5 hours, which seems reasonable to me still, especially with more players.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Yas posted:

It looks so good but the cheapest I can find it is $130 CAD, and I don't know if I can justify that.

It's definitely a major point, and there were only like a thousand copies printed or something.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Fungah! posted:

"Early" meaning everything before Tash-Kalar

Hey, Space Alert's was quite good. And despite people saying Dungeon Lords's manual was bad, I thought the single sheet rules summary at the back was enough if I needed to reference something.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

How does viticulture compare to vinhos? Particularly for two?

Vinhos is way more intense, since you have literally 12 actions for the entire game, with very few chances for extra actions. I liked it a lot more than Viticulture (which I've only played once 3p to be honest), but they're very different.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Dominant species questions. A lot of the reviews I've read mention it is a very swingy chaotic game. In particular people mention that it is common for who is winning to change from turn to turn. Does this affect its strategic depth? Is it possible to actually plan ahead, have a strategy, etc... Does the better player usually win?

Also how many players does the game work best with? I know it goes up to 6. What's realistic though. Are 3 players or 6 players actually fun?

The thing about DS is that the points aren't really an indicator of how good you're doing at the moment, board position is. People don't take the time to look at domination cards so they think it's swingy, when in reality if they looked at the state of the board and the cards they would know not to cluster all their species on a single hex. Endgame scoring, which is based entirely on board position, is huge and probably the single biggest factor in points, and that is very much something you can plan ahead for and have strategies for.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Not sure about UK retailers, but it's available in the US: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/211787

My question is: Is it worth picking up?

The card redesigns are nice, but the noticeably thicker cardboard for the tokens and board were definitely worth it to me.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

jmzero posted:

Imagine if movie makers were afforded this kind of default respect? "Well, Disaster Movie isn't the absolute deepest film out there - but this movie isn't really about story or humor or characters or that kind of elitist stuff. It's just, you know, if you just want a light movie to watch with your friends and eat some popcorn then you should have fun. Lots of people have seen it and some of them liked it, so if you didn't like it then you probably just aren't good at relaxing and liking movies."

Funnily enough, CD has been fighting exactly that mentality in discussions for a while now, usually expressed as "it's just dumb fun!" or via hamburger:steak analogies.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's improved a lot over the past couple of years, all the bads are usually confined to the Star Wars thread et al lol

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Pilots must begin every statement with the words "You do realize..."

Alternatively, you have to start all of your statements with "Actually,..."

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
If you do that, I'd be willing to join as well.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
BBMM is perfectly good, though it's more brain-burny than you'd expect from what looks like a party game. Also Pictomania is awesome, especially once you start getting to the higher difficulty cards, and they want you to start differentiating between a prosecutor, defense attorney, jury, etc

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Scoring in Castles is easier as well because you're just scoring on adjacency 99% of the time, whereas with Suburbia you have to remember all your tiles that have universal effects whenever you do anything.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
First of the Dominion Adventures previews is up, holy poo poo.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1345756/previews-1-lost-city-magpie-hero

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Welp

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Did DX say that victory point tokens were back? Because that seems like a natural synergy with Mission, but only Intrigue generates them (and those get less and less likely with each expansion if you're playing with the full set).

Unlikely, since he keeps mechanics self-contained to each expansion, though he seems to have made an exception to that for durations. But hey, you can just combine it with Prosperity cards anyways.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In principle yes, but in practice not always, even if you don't count the new Durations outside of Seaside. We've seen when-gain effects outside of Hinterlands (Mint), hybrid Victory cards outside of Intrigue (Island), cards with choices outside of Intrigue (Count), treasures that do things outside of Prosperity (Horn of Plenty), and terrible card ideas outside of Alchemy (Rebuild).

Haha yea, fair point. I was thinking token usage specifically, which is technically true even with coin tokens I think. Tomorrow's preview should be about tokens though, so I guess we'll see what those are about.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The tokens actually come in multiple player colors, and a lot of the Events manipulate these tokens. "Place your X token on a Kingdom Pile. If you play this card, you also gain +1 Action." Etc. Some of them are loving insane.

Haha holy poo poo, I can't wait.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
What the gently caress

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Had a good tabletop day. Played Five Tribes, Castles of Ludwig, Alchemists and Keyflower, found and bought a copy of Archipelago War and Peace and also grabbed Argent for 25% off (store had a market row of games that had increasingly large discounts through the day). Ended up winning Five Tribes and Keyflower, the latter by like 2 points.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

It's apparently what the rules say to do at the end of the game, because going through the bag and weeding them out is too much of a faff or some poo poo.

Uh, you're definitely supposed to set greens aside from the bag at the start of each game, that's completely ridiculous otherwise.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm going to have to get Tash-Kalar at some point. The version that is currently out is the redone edition with the expansion built in, right?

If by expansion you mean the new decks, no. The new edition has upgraded components though, with redesigned graphics and thicker cardboard.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Dungeon Lords is the other major one. It's no coincidence that they're all by Vlaada.

Dungeon Petz as well, to a lesser degree.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Pax Porfiriana's another game with a dutch auction market row.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't have anything new to add to what everyone else has said, but I'll pile on the praise as well. I've played it twice so far, both times with the 3p beginner setup, and I've loved it, besides some minor rule messups.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

sonatinas posted:

Explain clearly when you can score points and using the platform.

This, particularly the difference between selling a pet for 3x points and 2x points, and also emphasize that there's no connection between a pet's needs on its wheel and the symbol on the card, the only thing that matters is the color of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
e:wrong thread