Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Zombicide can be an enjoyable co-operative adventure but only if no one in your group rolls too well or too poorly. It is entirely possible to breeze through a difficult scenario if you keep rolling well and finding the right weapons, and it is as possible to slam into an impossible wall early on due to bad luck. Additionally, it has one of the worst non-Vlaada rulebooks I've ever seen, without the goodness of Vlaada to counteract how bad of a thing that is.

I've never played City of Horrors but it is too bad that there aren't more good zombie games. It feels like Zombie and Cthulu both wind up being the kiss of death for new designers, even though they could easily be used well within the context of a better set of rules. (Chaos in the Old World, for example, is basically about 4 elder gods duking it out.)

It's not like there aren't games about a struggle to survive in the wilderness that zombie games could easily model themselves after, either. 'Gric has a wilderness, managing resources, and the threat of hunger. Caverna even has adventures built-in to it.

I personally would enjoy an asymmetrical 3v1 zombie game where there were three (or four or five or two) zombie factions and one hilariously bad rear end survivor. The goal for each zombie faction would be to get in each other's way and be the one to kill the player playing as Ash or the Duke or w/e, while the survivor tries to fulfill some ridiculous escape requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It seems like you were perhaps playing too nice?

Castles of Burgundy introduces people to the concept of passive aggression in games by making all of the goals fairly easy to attain, but also including a number of different tiles that players have to compete for in order to get. Many of those tiles allow you to get more actions than would otherwise be possible (chapels, markets, castles, mines.)

There's the relationship between the use of boats to get first player and the superior action-granting tiles that can be missed by people in the first go-round.

Also, the use of the different playmats that come with Castles of Burgundy can change your strategy, and basically let you try out different strategies for victory by making certain types of tiles more accessible in different stages of the game.

That said, it is a beginner Euro, and if you aren't feeling particularly challenged by the choices that is by design. The game is supposed to be won narrowly - there aren't any points in the game where you will be forced into a super difficult decision.

Something like Agricola, Caverna, or Caylus might be more the game you're looking for if you find yourself unchallenged by CoB.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
EDIT: THIS IS ACTUALLY BOITAJEUX: Yucata.de is one of the only online board game websites I know of to feature Dungeon Petz, a highly rated worker-placement Vlaada Chvatil game. They also haev Castles of Burgundy, which defines "casual-but-thinky" in Euro games.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nope, I just totally confused myself. I was thinking of Boitajeux.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Pretty excited to see this one getting a reprint. I've never been able to pick up a copy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
TBF if you have already become acquainted with more involved games Carcassonne can get boring. Like 7 Wonders, it has a specific time and place.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Just a heads-up for those who don't follow the Deals Thread that Amazon is doing 50% off of quite a few boarding games today, including many of those holiday-friendly games mentioned in the OP. Love Letter, Splendor, 7 Wonders. Takenoko and more.

edit: as of this post Splendor is gone.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Morpheus posted:

"So I'm going to get the blue pyramid and start a prayer on my turn to combat your lower pyramid and get victory!"

"Well I sacrifice my Ra and attack your forces in a counterstrike!"

*flashing lasers and strobes*

This is a perfect summary of one turn of Kemet.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What about between great and what the gently caress, because Dominion.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
How are Viticulture and Euphoria as games?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I've won Splendor without purchasing a single tier 3 card in games where the nobles' gem interests had a lot of overlap.

edit: Integral to this strategy was vindictive holding of tier 3 cards other players could have potentially bought.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This is in no way meant as an insult, but if luck is genuinely screwing you over in Dominion as much as it would have in Catan then you and your friends are probably new to Dominion. Your example about getting a slow start and a hand full of curses before you can meaningfully trash means that you either A: ignored important attack cards B: ignored important defense cards or C: ignored important trashing cards at the beginning of the game. There is no round 1 and 2 of Dominion where you don't have a shot at purchasing either a 4 - 3 or a 2 - 5 card set that could help you meaningfully counteract someone else's buys. I have personally experienced slow dominion games where everyone bought thieves (I know, scrub tier) and slowed the game to a screeching halt, but those games stop happening once people understand the game better. There's no counteracting that kind of scenario in Catan.

The deal about luck giving new players a shot in Catan is that it also can sink their ship terribly. The political stuff gives players a chance to catch up, but at the cost of drastically increasing the time it takes for the game to actually end as no one wants to give Steve the last brick he needs to win.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

3. Having a better engine means being able to buy more and better engine parts to get even farther ahead. Snowballing.

In Dominion, your great engine was slowly assembled over several turns (and must continue to be strengthened as you begin to win and buy vp cards or you might slow down too much.) in Catan, your main strategic decision making point that lead to your engine was made at the start of the game. There's just not as much actual strategy

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Trip report : played hyperborea. It seemed imbalanced, but then I barely lost to another player with an ability I overlooked. Overall, the cube puzzling seemed AP inducing and the combat too simple for a game of its type, but it has a lot of good ideas and I look forward to someone making a different game inspired by the mechanics.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The real problem with Munchkin is that people spend just enough time and money on it to think they need to justify that expense to people online.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
For science, what was the dud board?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

I got my first Dominion expansion today: Hinterlands. I chose a random board, but was wondering how other people jumped into new expansions. Did you do what I did, and play a bunch of games with only that expansion's cards? Did you just add them to the normal shuffle, and learn them when they appear? Add 3 random ones, and 7 from the other expansions you're familiar with?

Typically we've learned new sets by playing their suggested sets and then incorporating into the random shuffle of our other sets. You're going fairly deep into Dominion Esoterica with Hinterlands,though. You may want to introduce them into sets of other Dominion cards a few at a time in order to digest them. This will probably be easier than using a whole set of new, complex cards at once.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jimbozig posted:

On the bright side, Coup was a hit. Thanks for recommending it, thread!

Coup is great! Played several rounds with family in post-Christmas celebrations today, lost them all due to playing a little bit passively to let everyone settle in, but I'm pulling out all the stops tomorrow. They thought it was neat and it was clear that it was a step up for them form Sushi Go and Love Letter but just as fast.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Coup is, as far as money-to-playtime goes, my single best purchase ever. Everyone I know with only one notable exception (she doesn't like that much hidden information, prefers hard as gently caress euros) absolutely adores the game, and I can teach it to casual people whose only exposure to board games is Catan or even poker very quickly.

Haven't played BSG, don't care for the theme. I've heard good thing about Archipelago as a combination euro/traitor board game that basically does everything people wanted out of Dead of Winter but while being good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Any opinions on Concordia? Someone is offering to trade me their copy for couple of old warhams.

:chloe:

Concordia is great. It was a standout hit last year alongside Russian Railroads, but is far less heavy. It's one of the games that I can pull friends who are new to board games into fairly easily because of its streamlined action system.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My copy of Archipelago just came in today and good gosh is the artwork even more beautiful / uncomfortably racist in person.

fake edit: But I would still contend that it treats race better than similar games like Puerto Rico or Catan. I'd rather have a game about colonialism that treats its subject matter explicitly than one that whitewashes it.

The game looks very strong, though, and whoever said that this is essentially Better Catan might not be far off. A couple of the quirks of the rules (like hidden bidding for turn order with ties going to the bank) are exactly my style.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 10, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Chicago has a load of different game meetups as well as an abundance of stores. Plus, the winter is awful enough that you can justify staying in and working on your Netrunner decks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mage Knight is great, it's just that fire block blocks ice, and ice block blocks fire, and you can play swiftness to kill the guy powered but if you do that you can't actually reach him, and how many mana do I have? Right I used teh source but then I played mana draw so I can use this one right or shoot maybe I should just power one card and prepare for the next turn.

Also pvp is busted. Busted to the point that I have no idea why anyone would play with it turned on.

Also you can get lucky with flame shield and trivialize Volkare.

It's still a good game in that it's the best of its kind, but I await longingly the day the next Vlaada makes Sage Warrior and it's a better-tuned, faster game with less random "gently caress you no movement" turns.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Luck to you, I'm still trying to track down the expansion to Tash Kalar.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I know that people probably aren't playing Roll for the Galaxy with cheaters on purpose, but how many people become cheaters when presented with such an easy way to cheat?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Also if you guys have Spotify someone actually made a Twilight Struggle playlist with a load of era appropriate songs and clips from historical speeches made through that era.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I own Illuminati and DOOM: The Boardgame. But, in atonement, yesterday I introduced someone to the best worker-placement push-your-luck dice game, Mage Knight. Also Castles of Burgundy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Sloober posted:

A friend of mine bought that but never even opened the box; amusingly he neither played a warcraft game nor played an MMO of any type, so I don't know why he got it. He doesn't have particularly good taste in games though, and tends to get frustrated if he's not "Doing Good". (By doing good I mean actually realizing his position in the game is not bad, as he can be doing awesome and still get frustrated).

I have a friend like that who seems like he needs a pep talk every time a game gets difficult. I'm sorry for your loss (of being able to actually play a game instead of being a life coach.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Paul probably got tired of being endlessly mocked for being the only person with any idea about game design.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh, Christopher Boelinger's got a new game? I love that guy! I know a lot of people say Archipelago has some racism to it but it can be read as being critical of colonization and the game plays great. Maybe this one will be the game he does that I can bring out around friends without being embarrassed. What does it look lik-

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Buy Plano. It's the best.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

To me, theme is a product of conveyance and mechanics, not a product of text and pictures (although the art won't disappoint).*

If you hadn't already sold me, this would have done it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
So is this Orleans kick-starter worth getting in on? It expires later today. I can't find much about it online other than a little bit on it in this thread and the notoriously unreliable BGG reviews.

If the game is good that's gret, but I already have Castles of Burgundy, the Gric and Caverna so I may not need any more light to medium weight Euros unless the game does something special..

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I was just given a $50 dollar gift certificate for Amazon as a very late Christmas present. Because I already got Dungeon Lords and Vinhos this month thanks to lucky finds on the BGG marketplace, I'm looking for thread recommendations on how to blow this on board games.

I am specifically looking for recommendations on heavier games that are good with two that aren't super competitive. (I know, I know. Just go with Rahdo. But he put Shadowrun: Crossfire at the top of his last best of list so he's completely unreliable.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I like co-ops and deckbuilders but dislike trash :colbert: also thanks for the suggestion but I already own & love Archipelago, the game of oppressing my ancestors.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think if all players are equal playing skill then the dude pointing out moves that are beneficial to the other player and himself is just playing the politics of the game. I don't think of it as quarterbacking so much as just good aggressive play within the confines of a Euro.

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat, though, because I'm the guy who does this. But I've seen it blow up in my face more often than not as people decide not to take those moves to spite but. But now I also suggest moves even though I secretly don't want people to take them because I'm pretty sure they won't take them if I suggest them. So if your group is willing to play in that kind of space I think you're fine.

Also, good suggestion! I love Tash-Kalar but I already have it. By "not super competitive" I mean few "screw-you" moves like Dominant Species or Caylus's provost.

I'm really looking for something else that's kind of like Vinhos in terms of complexity. I've been eye-ing Kanban but I'm woefully ignorant of heavier games compared to middleweight stuff.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Mage Knight is really close to what you want.

Man I should just have listed all the games I own because I have a biweekly Mage Knight group and that game is A+ in my book. (Also I played in the 1st thread hosted by our most gracious game master Tekopo.)

Big McHuge posted:

I'm touching the poop and about to start an argument on the SU&SD comments section about why Tom Vasel is bad for the future of board games.

Yessss do it maybe I'll help.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 2, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Watching those posts is like watching your parents get into a huge yelling match and then the phone rings and it's one of your dad's work friends and your mom answers the phone and her voice changes to cheerful and she's containing it so well but this is worse now, right? You're less comfortable now than when your parents were yelling.

Big McHuge posted:

This is actually really hard to do without using the words autistic, grognard, or basement-troll.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 2, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Then it's very, very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I wish Vasel was fast food because then at last he'd be out of my rear end in 30 minutes.