Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks bg thread for the glowing reviews of Tragedy Looper. My family went through the tutorial mission and really enjoyed it, they especially enjoyed winning by feeding the killer/ conspiracy theorist/ brain to the serial killer. Hoping to bring it out a couple more times before vacation is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

What are the best characters in talisman 4e + expansions? My money's on martyr, she's rigged.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Mild slapfight with Sirlin and DXV in a flamebait thread on BGG entitled "Why are Sirlin's Games Ranked on Average Lower than Vlaada's Games?"

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338424/why-are-sirlins-games-ranked-average-lower-vlaadas/page/1

If Vlaada makes an appearance this will be a masterstroke in trolling.

I kind of feel bad for Sirlin because even though he seems goony I don't see why people give a poo poo that he made chips that resemble something some random person posted on the internet for their own use. I assume Sirlin hasn't become some millionaire off this guy's idea. It's another game for everyone to play or not play, jeesh.

Hahaholy poo poo, did he give the top guy any credit? This is fuckin ridiculous

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

How different is the game from Dominion in terms of actual rules?
Puzzle Strike has some good unique things but it's hilarious that he copied this dude because 1) its so obvious and 2) the game would've been better with cards instead anyway

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Stop the presses somebody is iterating on good ideas, guess we should just go back to Catan since it was first.
I think there is design space for font changes and different icons, maybe even slightly different flourishes in banners, along with credits sections in rule books.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Sirlin is simply iterating on good design for poker chip based deck building games, such as seen in several other popular poker chip based deck building games

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Lookin' good, hope my collection isn't wiped out next patch.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It's fake homey

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

St0rmD posted:

I thought it was kind of a ripoff of Cap'n Needs Help: Pick up the Berries! that Quaker Oats put out several years ago. Man, that one was a classic, and I think still managed to have more innovations like the steal square. I mean sure it's playable, but I'd much rather get one of my really old boxes to the table for my first game of the day than settle for shameless reskins like TPoO anyday.
That game's a piece of poo poo. It's 2015, why are there still games that have dice rolls to determine how much of a nutritional breakfast you get? I much prefer Kellog's CORN series for thei

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I played House with betrayal on the hill friday and it was really good. There was a lot of randomness in the initial setup where you get boned or blessed with no input but the game makes up for it with a modular board. We laughed really hard when Steve walked into three separate rooms and took damage each time because he's poo poo at rolling dice and hey gently caress Steve he's stupid as poo poo, god dammit gently caress you Steve. During the haunt phase we got a spooky FrogsxWitches setup, where the high-quality cat token came into play (wooden, abstract). it requires the good guys to find one item in the random item deck and one room from a selection of random rooms, with distribution of that room/item mathematically proven and tested using focus groups to be the most fun. In the end though it turned out that, like in most post-apocolytic house based haunting games, the good guys were doomed to fail. The witch was invulnerable to all but one person, had a blast w/infinite range, and could teleport anywhere on a map where going from one edge to the other would take at least three turns. With smiles on our faces for teaching us lessons on futility (while having FUNtility), we packed away BotHatHH until we will again inevitably crave distractions from our pointless lives

Final rating: cats out of

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

No one is saying the game is a masterpiece of mechanics; but it's really thematic and only takes 1.5 hours at most. That makes it better than other thematic alternatives. Betrayal is up against the likes of Arkham Horror not Mage Knight. When you compare it to one of the Horror games it provides a much more compact experience, with just as much theme.
If you want a short horror experience I recommend you try Friday the 13th the actual movie. it's dripping with theme and has a lot of expansions, although the later ones add mechanics that don't mesh well.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Lorini posted:

I don’t know where the Magic meta is right now, but historically probability says that you don’t use more than two or three colors in a Magic deck, so the differences aren’t as stark as it may seem.
lol

Hearthstone and magic are both bad, Hearthstone is better online than magic tho.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I actually like Quarriors. It's a bit on the swingy side, but I'd be hard pressed to call it bad.

It's fun to roll dice but the base game is you trying to get better numbers than the opponents with very few choices that matter. Like risk but much shorter.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Zveroboy posted:

What really topped it off was being told while packing up, after three and a half hours of gameplay, "Oh, you were never going to do well with Dwarves anyway."
Terra Mystica is good, your GM is bad. Letting new players lock in to something considered unplayable is bad thing, especially when it's a game known to take 2 hours.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Avalon's getting stale for my 5-6 player group, so we're trying out a variant that hasn't broken the game yet.

Each player starts with 2 cash dollars, and as long as you aren't the current team maker you can bribe him a money to make your vote worth double (once per vote). If you're on a mission and not the team captain, you can pay him 3 money to reverse the result after everyone's Success/fail cards are chosen but before reveal.

There's a lot of new plays, Merlin doubles a No on a mission to give a good guy captain money, a mission fails with all successes, you dont put yourself on a mission so someone with money can reverse, the yomi goes to layer 8 at least...

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Cool avalon play: Periodically kick the player to your left and enunciate words when you talk such as PASS and EVIL. Good guys will think you're merlin, bad guys will think you're merlin, and merlin will think you're merlin. its foolproof

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Scyther posted:

The old cover art for Betrayal is a lot better.

Poor werewolf has a migraine

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

i dont know what you're photoshoping but thats terrifying

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Played Dead of Winter, it's alright. It has a lot of variety but it's mostly the bad kind where you get hosed or unfucked by chance. Also some of the goals were way harder and the "dont hint about your goal" rule was poo poo for mine (have most cards in hand by the end... ya lemme role play asking people their cards in hand for 3 turns straight). The 1/12th chance death dice is also bullshit because of the randomness in goal difficulty, one goal we had was "have 3 characters die" so it wasn't that bad, but if i had gotten it i would have been screwed because I wouldn't be able to search nearly efficiently enough (some mans can draw up to 9 cards a turn, i could do at most 3).

Best described as a Talisman-BSG hybrid for a combined score of 20 out of 10.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

post your anime cards itt

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 22, 2015

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Anime is about being strong as gently caress in a world full of poo poo

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Agricola is boring as poo poo. I can barely remain conscious long enough to yell at the person before me for chopping wood to make clogs.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Welcome to the Dungeon is an A+ game TY gutter owl for the recommendation from a while ago :sureboat:

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

snuff posted:

I feel the exact same ways, I would rather play Skull, or Love Letter.
Love letter is simple to the point where winning is mostly random chance, I used to like it but now I don't. Skull looks cool I'll try that out later.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Is Sheriff of Notingham good?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

Hello boardgame thread. What games would you recommend for a group of players who are more or less new to boardgames but have played a lot of MtG, D&D, etc? I think my friends are pretty drat good at strategic thinking so I'd like something with a lot of depth for them to chew on. I guess I want something with a similar appeal to Magic but without the part where I always lose because I don't want to spend $200+ on a deck.

2 games I've read about that sound cool are Puzzle Strike and Dungeon Petz. Are either of those any good?

http://www.pagat.com/invented/ace_of_death.html

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Krazyface posted:

Okay so if you're playing pictomania and someone draws this:

What do you guess?

Because not one loving person got Star Trek.
Bad mitten

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

We proxied up Hanabi using MTG cards and it was a lot of fun. The real set comes with mahjong type tiles, right? We were starting to get claw hand.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I am 100% not on board with the new internet morality, it feels too much like Sharia law or puritanism in sheeps clothing.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 20, 2015

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Puzzle Strike got a Steam release! It's on sale for the base characters until the 28th, I'm probably going to sink way too much time into it now I don't have to go off the website. :dance:
I wish the pricing was reasonable so my friends could play with me, and also so that I would buy it in the first place

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

My family loved Hanabi, and also cheating in Hanabi. "Modular difficulty" ;)

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

It's been one week since I upgraded to Deluxe Hanabi and left the regular version with my family and they've already built wooden holders for the cards. A+ family

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Finally played another game of Battlestar Galactica! It ended with a Cylon victory just barely, they were able to flip the FTL damage token instead of the morale loss token on the last shot of their basestars, destroying the Galactica. One more turn and we would have jumped to Kobol!! Lots of yelling happened.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Hi board game thread. Three things:[list=1]
[*]I'm running a PbP game of The End is Nigh. It is a weird kinda mafia-like that I describe in the thread as "Mafia or The Resistance meets Battlestar Galactica and Clue(do), but without player elimination, a random number of PC bad guys, and no out of thread communication. I guess." To restate, it's probably more Resistance-y than Mafia-y, but the mechanics play more like a weird game of Clue with traitor stuff sort of equivalent to BSG. It's currently in its playtest phase, gearing up for a potential Kickstarter at some point, and I'm thinking of reviewing it for The Print 'n Play Cast. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, so I make no promises of quality. Should be interesting, at any rate! You can find the thread by clicking the following image!

While I'm okay with "Don't talk about X" rules, I really dislike "Pretend X, even if it hurts you" rules more. I think this game has potential but it's unfortunate that the Jerk card exists.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Quick fix to the jerk (This won't make much sense unless you've read the rules to The End Is Nigh): Remove the jerk and add a cultist to the traits deck, labeling each cultist A/B/C, then shuffle them together with the other traits like normal. Then for the player's identities, add a third Cultist Elder card and label them A/B/C as well. Randomly remove one Cultist Elder card face-down and shuffle the rest into the identities pile. That randomly removed card identifies the jerk who's pretending to be a cultist. This is mechanically similar, the big differences being that each Cultist Elder will only for sure know one of three cultists which will win them the game and the good guy who would have looked at the jerk has different information. Also, you don't have to pretend you think he's the traitor because now you do for real!!

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I think Pathologic is a great choice for a board game adaptation, I hope Ice Pick does well.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Misandu posted:

Dark Souls is also only hard because you can't take all the actions you want. Limited Stamina, Estus Flasks, and the length of animations all exist to prevent you from doing what you want to do in a given moment. You can't move the camera to see down that corridor, so you have to wait until you're much closer to potential enemies.

So how do you make a board game hard without relying on random elements? I think true fans of the series would consider it a failure if at any point in the DSBG you have to roll dice to determine success. You could give players limited resources that they have to spend to take actions, or maybe they're limited to what actions they can take by cards but that would feel pretty random a lot of times. Maybe each enemy has a small script of attacks you can follow along with, but how do you make that hard if it's just printed on them?

I think there's plenty of good conversation to be had about how you could faithfully translate Dark Souls style game play into a board game, and how you would give it the series characteristic challenge. I also think we're more likely to get Descent with a Dark Souls paint job than anything else.
A lot of Dark Souls is the fighting like you mention, and a lot of the fighting is based on spacing, reading tells, and timing. I don't have any experience with Miniature games outside of watching warham, but I like that it provides meaningful spacing between characters without being unwieldy. For enemy attacks, you could use a small deck of cards that represent what action the enemy will take next. Different colored backs for the cards indicate what style of action it is, for example pulling from weak long-range attacks or strong short-range attacks. Then the player can figure out their risk of making an attack, or moving to another area, etc..

I'm not expecting the game to be great but I'm not hopeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Machai posted:

You break into their houses while they play and slam down your red painted mini onto the board.