Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Bones" is the name of their plastic miniatures product line.

It's called "Too Many Bones" because that's how many you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Getting your Presence out into useful places (which also uncovers your tracks) is important initially, yeah.

Generally your first goal would be getting your energy and card plays up enough that you can play two powers every turn. Then you'll go hunting for more powers - pushing up to three powers/turn doesn't really help if you're going to be following that up with a 1-card turn, or if you'll need to be recovering cards constantly, so get more powers first. I often push up to the point where I have six or seven cards and make three plays a turn before I start thinking about majors.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Village, Village, Village, buy a Village, your go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This could be something susceptible to a local meta, especially with >2 players.

If Sauna/Avanto is the recognized "best" strategy, and your two opponents are going for it, it'll be fast enough that you really do need to play the same game. If it's recognized as "too slow", then if you try it (and you're the only trying it), it will in fact be too slow.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think there's a difference between "here's a few tweaks we made that we think makes the game better for our play group" house rules and "there are some incredibly poo poo elements of the design that are obviously awful to anyone who's played even a modest amount of board games from the last ten years or so, so we remove them" house rules.

Needing to do the latter is a pretty big indictment of the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nothing, just that if the purpose of the OP is "recommendations for board games",

It's not. The "purpose" of the OP is to be the OP of the Something Awful Board Games Thread, which is a subcommunity on this forum.

One of the things it should do is answer the question "I'm thinking about getting into board games, but not quite to the level of actually posting in the thread and introducing myself to the community - what's a good place to start?", but that's not the only thing it should do. Another important thing to do is to give an overview of the subcommunity itself, and what people should expect if they decide to participate.

If you don't actually understand the thread's norms then you're not really the right person to be giving input on how they should be conveyed IMO.