Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Ravendas posted:

B&N usually charges retail price. Ordering on websites can get huge discounts, with $100 usually being the bar for free shipping. Even without it, it's cheaper than stores.

Addressing Hooly Booly: You really gotta listen to this one, B&N B&M stores don't price match online and have time terrible sales. Get games from local game stores or stick to online (even if amazon is your only option, like it is for me all the time). Even though you'll be hard pressed to get even just 5 dollars off memoir (just grabbed my own copy of M44' as well, god drat its so good)

Also I really need to save money now with christmas coming up and already dropping 45 for memoir, 170 in presents, needing to buy presents for more people, and wanting to get 2 M44 expansions right away, but King of New York is as low as ever, and I really wanted to bring it to a new years hang with my game group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Whats everyone thinking on the Memoir 44 expansions (really a question aimed at who owns them, or a handful of them). I'm definitely looking to expand later (for this 10 year old game) and was thinking of the best way to go about it. Right now I think the strongest openers after the base game scenarios are Terrain pack into the Equipment pack, then dole out any of the army specific packs as wanted (since a lot of them seem to ask for the terrain pack)

Also Castles of Burgundy does great in terms of being a light euro that you can teach people that aren't too keen on longer sit down games as it gets them to the side of liking euros while still getting to handle dice. I'm willing to wager the reason a 4 player starter game could be boring was that you all used the recommended starter boards that give you all a fair chance to build on any part of the map with a single neat farm, and more or less each sector neatly together so you can build anything at any time. It would have been better to save that map for a small tutorial with another player, then move onto using advanced maps and competing with new players using starter maps, and kicking them up to harder maps immediately. The game can be competitive with 2 players on the base board but over that the market is just so vast you really need the advanced maps so you can suss out what people want from the market and what you can take from them.

In general it is lauded for being a very good game, but I wouldn't say it is terribly exciting, but personally I'd rather "go through the motions" of a very competent game, than anything that many people would refer to as "mostly fun" that has big faults and unbalances just because. My group has a terrible habit of drinking some beer/cider and then we have to shelve everything I brought in favor of playing (hopefully) X-wing, which is fine, or they want to bring out loving aggravation or some other poo poo family game. Suspension being the best of them.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Scyther posted:

...I'd start with whatever Theater/Front pack appeals the most to you, then add one of the others, then get either the third one or get the Terrain Pack if you want to make your own scenarios or download scenarios from the website. After that, MAYBE look into the equipment pack.

Big ups Scyther, thanks, Eastern Front it is.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
My friend just grabbed Carcassonne, and I forgot how much I enjoyed playing it. I never got into any of the expansion and was wondering what are some of the better ones to start with and possibly which to avoid. I just amazon'd it to see if there was anything cheap to pull on, but there are like 50 with all kinds of mechanics, and like the minis??? and the big boxes cost too much. I just want a flat rate like top 3 under 30 dollars.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

How does one play Carcassonne well anyway?...

well first I'd like to say it is incredibly lame if you play with people that throw and decide to just spend the rest of the game making it one sided, you might as well forfeit and start over or play something else/play with other people.

I play Carcassonne well by either looking at how to snake property from others or leech onto their valuables (take too long to build a castle, start one right next to it and get in on it, then rush to finish it) or otherwise spend my time trying to tie up other players buildings when my draws aren't beneficial to the few castles or roads I am running (I'd invest in a monastery but I didn't draw one in two games but I'd say thats fair with only 4? of them in the game)

You can also throw a chip in the works, not only should you actively choose someone that is taking an early lead and hit them with a wrench (making roads curve away from monasteries or encasing empty spaces so they can't be played) is a small way in the strategy of Carcassone (I locked up my friends 3 monks because they went hard on them, but I just didn't let them complete the nineth tile ruining their castle scoring all game.)

while you can also play the possible backstabbing alliance route, I would propose when a few properties got interesting that I'd go in on it with someone else so we could both soak in the points, as long as you don't give them the space to come in and dominate the area with several units, you can safely create handshake alliances to make castles a little bigger, and share some of the points from shields.

If someone gets mad playing Carcassonne though, they probably won't ever enjoy it, even though its competitive I'd say its one of the most relaxing games there is. You're just trying to build a puzzle with territory control mechanics along the way, and having a few friends to do it with.

Please rage the gently caress out on a game that takes less than twenty minutes if you keep a lively pace with some small talk, that is just keen.

Anyway tl;dr for ya if you really want some lame tips
[Use the reference sheet on the rulebook, leave it out, so you can get an idea of what possible moves can be made in the future]
[build against people, if you can't use the giant castle space piece, add it to another incomplete castle, and early game attach to it, or do that late game so that it can't be built, just try to be a dick]
[build with people, everyone that isn't in first has something to gain by building together, and its pretty hard to setup a backstab that can't be telegraphed a round or few in advance.]
[If someone gets mad playing a simple tile laying competitive puzzle doodle, they are not chill enough to probably ever enjoy a fun game.]
[Also you gotta consider your meeple eco, you want about half in long term investments, with the rest going into short term two to four tile endeavors, with a tiny bit of wiggle room to have a dude ready to deploy for dominance of a castle.]

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Gimnbo posted:

They play Coup. I chill. Everyone wins.
The most important thing for people to realize when playing in large groups, is that not everyone will want to play every single game. Having a massive cluster gently caress from forcing 3 people talking about music and records they want to see from guys with stubble and an acoustic guitar, 1 person that still doesn't get it, and 2 people waiting 10 minutes to get a turn in.

Offer up smaller side games to people that aren't on point, then take who you have into a game. Forcing people into everything regardless of preference or interest is a sure fire way to gently caress up social events, and give people some weird feelings. If people are just rambling over a game, especially during instruction, just tell em you'll get them in on werewolf or whatever they typically play.

Half this post is in reply to the thread and the other half cause I just had the experience of wrangling someone and their 2 besties and burning out the opportunity to play anything cause they won't shut the hell up, anytime I'd speak up about the game on the take all of them would just blabber on like they were as quiet as can be, while literally yelling back and forth in a small room.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I got a full time job and I've been scooting around looking to pick a game up. I have plenty of games at the moment but they are all massive hulking beasts that take hours to complete and have chomp 15 minutes for setup almost universally.

I don't like Hive, and I'm looking for some lighter card games, anything thats light that can be had for about 19.99, I perused sellsvvords but i'm not sold on it. Lets get a handful of recommendations made based on the criteria of cheap, good, quick.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I'd prefer best at 2, and I'd consider games that can reach 4 players. Although 2 player games are going to be used a lot more. Had to rite that post on my phone so I left out some deets.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Had a weird thought, what if you wanted to play monopoly but monopoly blows, so whats a good game that revolves around auction mechanics instead of just making deals on the sly like chinatown or lords of vegas?

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Yes, but the only reward I know he'll enjoy is not something I'm willing to give him.

Who in this thread IS willing to sit down to an all day game of Talisman with him?

I don't think Talisman is a particularly good game, but I have to play a game. Its the seed that grew into the hobby this day. Playing Talisman on camping trips, making people play it with me online, buying everyone the steam version to force them into games but only I get the dlc characters just to be an rear end.

You have my giant spiked ball on chain Rutibex.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I missed the boat on buying The Village when SUSD talked about it, but It's like 40~ bucks on amazon right now and I'm quite tempted into grabbing it. My main question is, I want Agricola, I want The Village.

Do I jump at the Village now? or should I just go for what sounds like a rad time with Agricola? I'm not weighing them against each other, but I just kinda wanna know how people felt about the village, sans expansions (thoughts on the expansions?) cause I'm probably just gonna keep twiddling my thumbs and get neither. I hate when I have more than one game on my radar cause its never about the cost, it just becomes a stalemate of what am I going to crash into first.

Either way my group of friends sucks and hardly has the attention span to finish a game of Castles of Burgundy, but my partner is very much into anything they can win.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
Fell onto a relatively new copy of Corto for 16 bucks, easily enough to spend on something in great condition, pretty fun little game, has a good medium filler feel with great components. Drop people, steal cash, plays fast enough once you see it happen.

Galaxy Trucker w/ first expansion also fell into my lap a few weeks ago, haven't gotten to get REAL with it but had some fun so far.

Also got the family box of Apples to Apples; and a copy of Wits and Wagers, both for 5 bucks, in good condition.

Still bummed I let a copy of Panamax slip by, when it was mint for 4 dollars, but god drat I was tired and a group of 8 people tying up the only register at the local goodwill can really get you into a gently caress it attitude.

Not a bad few weeks for getting some cheap grabs.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Spector Ops is pretty decent but Dungeon Lords is truly great. Spec Ops also changes a lot at different player counts whereas Dungeon Lords always has 4 (either players or dummy players).

It was probably cause I should have picked the obvious dude with more health, and more poo poo to disable the car. I feel like it was a poo poo run cause we had a 4 player game with traitor or whatever, and like my only ever choice was, stand still and wait for them to circle me cause the loving puppet can radar every round cause why act when a sniper and werewolf are present. Then just get loving destroyed cause no ones landing on my stupid ninja attacks, and I just get shot to death.

Feels like a very weak version of that splinter cell merc v. spy game, but instead of being kind of scary and fun, it just turns into dude getting destroyed cause the hunters have absolutely no reason to fear you. Oh no you'll get stunned or blinded for 1 second, and I'll get shot to death because I used an item, and gave away that they were nearby cause I'm trying to escape.

Could be decent with better maps, and something to buff playing agent, but god drat I felt real let down on Spector Ops. I'd like to give it another go but the choices as agent seem so pointless, I can't slip past poo poo with my pitiful movement speed, and playing the fake out game only gets you so far, but if the car sits in the center of the map, they get a pretty good idea of where you are at all times.

MAYBE it was my friends gently caress up, they literally never get the rules right unless I read that poo poo myself, but I flipped through a good amount of the book and I don't think anything was underhanded.

All in all: Feels like Spector Ops might only be a good 2 player game, and you either get double items, or you put the traitor cards out, and get to turn one of your opponents mercs on him whenever convenient.

PROTOSTORM!!! fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

I do see the point of that - mind you, I'm talking from a general game design perspective, as I haven't played the game so can't really judge how this particular implementation of a mechanic works in practice.

The thing is, while stealth games are at their best when they are most tense, that is when you just manage to dodge the guards, they're usually quite binary when it comes to actual detection. You either slip by, or fail and all hell breaks loose. The space for a failure margin, various shades of alerting the guards and picquing their curiosity is usually quite limited in the genre and notoriously tricky to balance, while remaining the best part of gameplay - for an example, look at the implementation of being spotted in the PC game Invisible Inc., where unless you get caught with your pants down in the middle of an empty room, once spotted you can usually retreat, but the game tightens the noose removing your control over the situation piece by piece...

Good summary of how the game seems to play, but in specter ops it seems as though there is little to no control for the agent against a hardly competent team. They turn on the radar, get an instant read on where to stand, and can dice you to bits once you are spotted.

I wrote a good essay, but that poo poo is impossible to parse without having played the game. Boils down to this; if you are a god drat spy that needs to stay hidden, but the only tension in the game is whether or not you get caught, while a radar beeps and points in your general direction with an extremely small area to investigate. That is just shooting fish in a barrel, the agent has no teeth, and rushing them down early on just makes them to use all their consumable abilities, then they are dead in the water. No ability is useful enough to negate people being able to shoot you every round with the biggest consequences possibly being (lose a turn, don't see for a turn). It only makes sense to play that dude with more health, cause that lets you get spotted the most, in a sneaking game with a map wide spotting mechanic.

Facing could go a long way in requiring a lot more team work/positioning to matter, and with the traitor mechanic could make the game very stressful for the mercs when a pair of eyes goes belly up to help someone hack your nodes or whatever is happening. Radar should be straight removed, or require some kind of vehicle side reload, or spy should be able to disable it manually, or with an emp, and require some sort of full turn action to reactive it.

Better yet gently caress up the radar entirely, make it a guessing game; it should get a short burst ability which is what it does now but with a limited range (3-5 tiles or so) or it should be able to get a much longer range but the mercs have to call one direction, and use the current rules for the agent to call out if they are within that area or not. Just handing out the agents relative position in the game with near endless line of sight is awful.