Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Another suggestion for the OP - Should Archipelago go in the traitor games list? Or somewhere at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Quick question. Is this version of The Resistance the one with all the extra rules from Avalon?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So what's the current best worker placement game going? Ideally something reasonably thematic and probably not too lengthy? Keyflower? Caverna? Agricola?

My collection doesn't have any worker placement games at all, and I'm looking to fix that :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Fungah! posted:

Yeah sure, give me a minute to finish registering an account.

Is it a real time thing, or more pbf pace?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Tekopo posted:

I think it's a pbem but you can play real time like that Through the Ages implementation. Game takes about 2 hours I guess?

Cool. In that case, I'll give it a go

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind taking five but I would suggest people at least get an understanding of the rules, or join me either on #boardgoons on synirc or skype for rule explanation.

In as tarbrush. What's the IRC server?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Using mibbit. Anyhoo, am on skype at tarbrush (at) gmail.com

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Trying to decide between Keyflower and Dungeon Petz. It's agony :(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

WhiteHowler posted:

Eh. This is the same game they gushed about after playing it at GenCon. I like the SUSD guys, but I've learned not to give their reviews too much weight.

I've played Xcom twice now, and it's okay. Definitely not going to replace Space Alert in my group, but it's not a bad game either. It's just that the number of decisions you have during the timed part are relatively limited ("do I spend money for an extra die to roll later?").

In fairness, his review picked that up. And given that the theme is bang on, either he's getting more discerning or the minigames are really awful.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or his tastes are completely arbitrary.

Or that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

sticklefifer posted:

Any good games that are both co-op and competitive at the same time? Like you're cooperating for a common goal against the game, but there are also individual goals, and only one of you is the sole winner at the end rather than all/some of you.

Archipelago.

Dead of Winter does it, but does it badly.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So has anyone else played Homeland? The description above sounded great

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Off to do the Watch the Skies 2 megagame as featured in SU&SD tomorrow. Pretty fuckin' excited :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Trip report from the megagame

It's SU&SD as gently caress. Thematically amazing, incredibly engrossing, but quite rules light, and what rules there were were a little janky .

That said, for £30 it was just stunning and the amount of emergent gameplay from what was pretty much a 300 person larp with quite loose goals was brilliant. I'm booked in the next one and looking forward to it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mister Sinewave posted:

Is this that sort of live-action concept X-COM with a "media" faction added in? I had no idea what you were talking about, and only sort of do after looking at the (I think) homepage for it that I found after a web search.

Watch the video above is the best explanation. But yes, pretty much, only if instead of creating X-Com the nations of the world decided to fight the aliens themselves, and keep competing with each other whilst doing so.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Some Numbers posted:

Just got back from playing a megagame and holy poo poo was that amazing.

Oooh, which one?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Some Numbers posted:

It was Watch the Skies, the same one that SU&SD played in their video last year.

Cool! I did the one on London a couple of weeks back. Interesting how different your alien objective seemed to ours. Have you watched their video of the second one? It's even got my gormless face in a few times :)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Quick question, what's the name of the new sci-fi traitor game that people are excited about? I keep on thinking it's Forbidden Stars and obviously it's not.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Jedit posted:

Dark Moon.

Thanks!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Mom and Dad Are Coming sounds amazing

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So, I’m off on holiday soon with a bunch (five of us) of friends that enjoy board games. We’re already taking Deep Sea Adventure, Space Alert, Carcassone, 7 wonders and maybe a couple of others. What else should we be taking? I’ve checked out the op, and just wondered what op worthy stuff has come out in the past two years

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Mr. Squishy posted:

For a holiday trip I would suggest Gloomhaven but it only plays up to 4 so 2 copies of Gloomhaven.

I am pretty sure we'll always have one of us feeling antisocial, so maybe just one copy.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Any idea where I can get hold of a copy of John Company? Fancy hats are very much up my alley

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
My own feeling is that it's halfway between Euro and Ameritrash without really reaping the benefits of either.

Playing it felt more like reading a book than a game I was engaged in. It's not terrible, but there's better out there.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I can't get my group into Space Alert either. Trying it out with my (new) holiday group soon. It'll probably flop cause we'll be at least mildly buzzed most of the time, but worth a try.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

The Eyes Have It posted:

Moments before she grabbed all the bits. You can see the boredom lurking behind the pupils.

Excellent username:post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Hi thread,

It's Christmas, what're we currently recommending as good gifts for kids? Age 9-12

Cheers!