Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
No Wayne June narrating the gameplay, no deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've started playing Gloomhaven with the PC release, and I kinda suck. Won the first two missions, but both the Inox Camp and the Cultist Lair are kicking my rear end. I think my problem is that I feel pressured to run forward because of the card timer, and end up placing my dudes in a position where they eat three attacks and it's all downhill from there. It seems that getting hit is Very Very Bad, much more so than in other games. Is it ok to waste a couple of turns here and there just to you don't get hit? For example, in the mosh pit near the door of he Inox Encapment (where the guards spawn).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Glagha posted:

Don't forget that you can both place and resolve your cards in whatever order so if you're faced with a room full of enemies you can place your 80 card before your 10 when playing and go at 80 initiative to give the enemies time to blow their actions and hopefully not swarm you before you go in last and start hammering on them. With groups of lots of melee guys they'll often just walk toward you and end turn. You can also kind of bottleneck them or move to one side so that only some of the enemies can reach you which will mean eating 2 hits instead of 4 or something. A good skill is learning when to burn cards. You need to pace yourself obviously but don't be afraid to use your powerful burn cards because sometimes trashing that card is better than the extra turns you'll spend trying to deal with a problem in a more "efficient" manner without burn cards.

Thanks.

I think I'm getting better at it. My two biggest breakthroughs were realising that I can synchronise my dudes with short rests/long rests so they all charge in at once, and that knowing the map helps a lot.

For example: The first scenario with cultists had a side room with two Earth Elementals. The first time I split my party and failed (last move was grabbing the chest there, which happened to be a trap and killed the Scoundrel, just to rub salt in the wound), the second time I opened the door and then run the gently caress away to the final room of the dungeon. The Elementals spend four turns getting there, by which time I had cleaned house there and killed them easily.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I played Azul yesterday and enjoyed it quite a lot. I see there are several versions of the game. What's the deal with that?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

They all have slightly different rules and layouts. The general theme of building a stained glass window is there but the windows are different shapes and the scoring systems are different. I have three of the versions and enjoy them all equally.

The original is like $16 at Target right now. It sold out at Amazon.

Thanks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Good for you if you enjoy the game.

I tried it two years ago on TTP Simulator to find out what it was about. The first real fight two of my survivors died on the hunt and another one got -1 attack (so I faced the lion with 3 attacks/turn instead of 8, and only 2 warm bodies to soak hits with).

3 years (fights) later I faced a boss that got stuck into an infinite combo after a 2 hour fight.

It’s not a good game.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sometimes people like boobie figures.

To be fair, the game miniatures are not something you’d see on the Titty Miniatures thread. The other miniatures the company sells, and the manual art, however…

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair, the game miniatures are not something you’d see on the Titty Miniatures thread. The other miniatures the company sells, and the manual art, however…

I’m going to revise this in light of recent posts and say that it was way worse than I remembered/saw on TTS holy poo poo.

It’s a drat pity, because the “build a settlement to equip your D&D party” is a cool idea, but instead of a cool, unique game we got this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Primal and the previously mentioned Townsfolk Tussle sidestep all this garbage.

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

We completed March on Pandemic Season 0 yesterday, and I have a doubt because things look too under control: Spoilers for February and March, I guess.

We stopped all the trials, so we have no Infection cards on the deck. I've checked twice and I'm pretty sure you don't get any surprise infection if you get all cities, but skipping a whole mechanic seems weird. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

Game is easy. :cool: