Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
After taking Pit to my friends Christmas party, it was nice to hear from two different friends that they went out and bought Pit for their own Christmases. Doesn't hurt that it's :10bux: Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

FulsomFrank posted:

Love Pit. I think that's why I like the trading phase in Civ so much. It's like Pit but way, way better. I've always wanted to bring that trading mechanism to other games. Does anyone know of another game that handles fast paced trading in a similar manner that isn't Sidereal or Trade on the Tigris?

Panic on Wall Street is meant to be very good for that kind of vibe, but I think it's rare as hens' teeth by now :(

Edit: :(

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 8, 2020

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Don't Get Got arrived yesterday and good Lord this might be the worst packaging proportional to game weight ever.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Whenever I see something like this, I think that somebody is getting really ambitious about releasing expansions.

It's certainly a good candidate for that. But the box's insert doesn't predict expansions! Seriously, most of the volume of the box is just insert with 4 little slots for the components. It strikes me as being very cheeky about getting a spot on a shelf and broadcasting its (attractive) box art.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ok, so what's the trick to getting AFfO and the Norwegians into the one box? I can ~almost~ do it, but still get too much protrusion to keep it comfortably on the shelf

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bottom Liner posted:

This is a pretty bad misrepresentation of the sentiment here. We basically all feel that SUSD has good analysis and :lol: conclusions that don't follow their previous statements. See the long praising review of Arkwright then saying they couldn't recommend it because Quinns has a small apartment. That kind of editorial disconnect just makes no sense and is bad. See also them having a long standing stance on not liking Kickstarter games or overproduced and premium priced products, but doing a big glowing preview of then on kickstarter Blood on the Clocktower and saying something along the lines "if you care about games, you won't mind the $85 price tag" or some nonsense.

They're one of the better board game media outlets, but still have a lot of issues with editorial policy and consistency.

I think this is a good point. I don't think SU&SD have that much difference from the thread hivemind (though they tend to drift slightly more towards party/ameritrashy/social games). The bigger caveat is that they often have a good train of thought up until the last 5 minutes of the review when they have dumb conclusions like this that leave a sour taste, and a lack of consistency across reviews that means you often genuinely don't know what their final thoughts will be in a bad way.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Magnetic North posted:

Is there a gooncensus on Hamburgum? I never hear anyone talk about it lately, but I heard good things back in the day,

Mmm... hamburgum...

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

!Klams posted:

With that in mind, would sidereal confluence be a terrible pickup? It looks awesome and plays 8 well, but I gather the simultaneous trading stuff gets raucous?

I haven't played with more than 6, so perhaps it's different at 8. I don't think the trading necessarily has to be raucous in a way that's overwhelming--though at that number you kind of have to jump in on conversations if you have a particularly good deal in mind. My biggest worry with 8 might be that at that count you need someone to be either the Yengii or the Zeth, which may not be fun for them or others just learning the game...

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I don't have any pizza in my town. I just buy noodles instead :v:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

jmzero posted:

Micro Macro: Crime City makes for a pretty solid little activity... game.. thing.

Zero rules burden, instant setup, you can do a "case" in a few minutes with 2 people - or with as many people as you want to crowd around looking at a picture. Seems like a great fit as filler, or at a party where games are a side activity. No stress. Kids like it. Adults like it. Works with friends, or as a conversation starter with a stranger.

Obviously limited lifetime, but that's about the only negative thing I can say.

I'd buy it now before you can't find a copy.

drat, I've been thinking about it for a little while, and this just convinced me. Seems like a great chill activity to do with my partner over the holiday break.

It's non-destructive (i.e. I'm not scribbling on the map), right? It'll be a no-brainer to just pass it around the friendship group if so

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I've got myself Twilight Imperium: 4th Edition and will be playing my first game with 5 mates (also all new) in a few weeks. I've sent them the Learn to Play book and the RTFM teaching video (and explained that it's best they read/watch it ahead of time than have me prattle on for 40mins at the start of the day).

Any pointers/things to look out for for a first game? I've downloaded the revised Diplomacy card and I'm toying with using the Omega tech versions.

Any recommendations on a pool of starting factions? I've seen mixed recommendations between what should definitely be up for picking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

gutterdaughter posted:

I just gotta wonder why so many KDM fans felt the need to involve three other players, and also the whole rear end game store on sunday morning, in their clothes-on edging sesh. Like is that part of the kink? Is me being here with my Funyuns and a copy of Bohnanza adding something for you? Cuz it's definitely subtracting something for me.

I would've thought edamame for Bohnanza