Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
That's a shame, but unsurprising really. They never truly handled the whole "living on different hemispheres" thing. Nor is nomadic lifestyle convenient for regular gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Usually the lockdown strategies coast on players not actually reading the available alien cards to know when it is safe to go for the lair or beach.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

King of Bleh posted:

This seems to imply you're playing with the alien's hand of cards face-up? That would definitely make it easier, but I don't think that's in the rules.

Huh, it appears I have been doing a massive Jedit. I guess it worked well enough not to occur as obviously broken.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Honestly, I'm the one person who likes the look of Pax Porfiriana cards. They're cluttered and messy, but I find them quite evocative.

What's unforgivable is that the haphazard layout takes absolutely no notice that the cards are meant to have both cubes and other cards laid on top of them and so they cannot be properly stacked.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Just play John company ®

This poster gets it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

All you people naysaying about JoCo retirement rolls aren't doing enough strategic bankrupting/presidency closures when you can simply laugh away the meager scandal fee.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Unbiased isn't perhaps the right word. Cole Ruhnke is leaning neocon, but he's both generally smart and self-aware about it he doesn't go Eklund about it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Yeah, meant Volko!

That's what skipping morning coffee gets you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Eh, I went in the opposite direction, I think, where i first abhorred multiplayer solitaire aspect of many euros, but I grew really tired of heavily political games that lean heavily on kingmaking/keeping leader in check as their key dynamic, like the extreme crab bucket fight aspect of COINs. If someone is bad or overly passive they easily ruin the game for everybody, if everyone is good it devolves into an endless exercise in bashing the leader where I lose sight of the board as munchkin cards start flashing in front of my eyes.

I much prefer the games where you can and should point your aggression meaningfully against the leader, but try to usurp their position via fighting for the context of the boardstate. Like the shifting victory conditions of Pax series*, the cube insanity of shifting objectives of Tigris and Euphrates, all the insane manipulations of the Greatest Political Game John Company and so on.

* Not truly a good example in context, but, you know.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Played 1st ed ages ago and it was... fine. Unless I've misremembered something, it was a fairly standard, fairly heavy worker placement game with a fairly unusual theme. It had a whole lot of cards with various boni to collect and combo off each other and the victory boiled down to set collection. It was a solid entry in the genre, but didn't really do anything unique.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

mellifluous posted:

Haha, amazing. Dice Tower judgment: Two thumbs up! Thanks, Tom! If that's representative of his level of critique, why is he such a big name? Did he just get kinda lucky and build an audience early?

Yes. Got in on video reviews early and was committed to pumping out content - often, and about everything that came out. And on the internet regularity usually trumps quality.

You could argue that in ye olde goode days when he started he wasn't really below the par in any way (there wasn't much in terms of meaningful competition, let alone anyone treating boardgame reviews professionally or even semi-professionally). It's just that he never really learned or improved anything, rather committing to churning out All The Content, while the tabletop reviews, and tabletop industry in general, got their poo poo together in the meantime.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Goons, which is the better game: chronicles of crime or detective?

Basically need to buy something from the genre and Sherlock Holmes is out because reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

I want to play Arkham Horror LCG. I’ve heard the core game is fine but not amazing, but the dunwich legacy is really great, so was considering buying both at once.

Aside from the core game and the dunwich legacy expansion itself, do I need any/all of the mythos packs?

Uuuuh, it's an LCG so it's eternally More Stuff.

The Dunwich isn't really held in all that much regard, being a somewhat straightforward campaign (but then again, that's good for intro). It's okay and has a bunch neat player cards. The core set is a three-mission minicampaign, that's a good tutorial and a good medium-sized gauntlet to test out a deck, but it's just not a full-blown campaign with all the bells and whistles.

What you want to grab, if willing to go above the bare minimum demo of a single core set is... a second core set, to get full complement of each card - that's the only thing I'd call a must have, so you can do proper deckbuilding and not be reliant on the luck to draw singular copies of key cards (not in combo sense, but more "any weapon at all" sense). If you play it and feel like the box is worth going through more than once, with different decks and so on, then cool, get hooked and grab any campaign cycle that's available in stores at the moment (sans maybe one or two the internet will warn you to leave for later). If you don't... Well, honestly, if someone is to buy a used core set, they'll be happy to buy the second one as well anyway.

Note that "Return to..." boxes are a separate product than a given campaign - they're kind of postmortem remix packs for both tweaking the rougher edges of previously published cycles and adding some variety/hard mode to them. They very much provide stuff to bolt on top of usual cards you need to have - a campaign cycle is a series of eight (smaller) card packs.