Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BoardGameArena has got Clans of Caledonia in Beta just now. It seems like a pretty good implementation as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The problem with a huge complex game with tons of rules like that is just reading the rules is often not enough to make sense of them. You're much better having someone teach you the rules initially and then you can read them later with the additional context of knowing what the gently caress is going on.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redundant posted:

I am already kind of planning a Root weekend and I fully intend to send a video of general rules and the faction specific stuff to each player before the first game. That won't totally replace the in person teach but people going in with a fundamental understanding of what the game is, what the broad strokes of the rules are and how they eventually win can go a long way towards streamlining the experience. More importantly for me is that it can turn a daunting/long teach into something much shorter where people can feel clever for already knowing things that I am about to tell them.

e: Also, after a couple of turns most people end up in the "ok, the rules all make sense now" zone and the sooner you can get into those turns the better. A video can help to facilitate that.

Root is one its worth watching explanations for because reading the rules doesn't actually tell you how to go about winning. Also the rulebook is terrible.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Krazyface posted:

Last week I tried out Inis with the Seasons expansion, and five players. Still early days, but it seems pretty good. The seasons mechanic does some neat things to round the game out, like Summer giving every player easy access to movement and fights, and Autumn functioning like a harvest, letting people trade their bad red cards for more clans. The map wound up being enormous; Exploration was played at least once per round, and there's a couple of new red cards that also add tiles. The five-player action cards are pretty decent. I don't think anyone actually used Coalition for its intended purpose, but it's easy to imagine a situation where you could. I initially dismissed Fili as a marginal upgrade over Festival, but it's actually really powerful: you can use it on a space (such as the capital, with three sanctuaries in it), and then march in without getting killed in the ensuing clash.

Ah thats good to hear because I love Inis but our regular numbers usually make it hard to play.

On that topic Quacks with the Hedge Witch expansion is good and works well for 5 players.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Impermanent posted:

clans of caledonia: honestly pretty good. i think it's worth a second look if you dismissed it for kickstarter hype.

I like it, you have to be aware of how end game scoring works. It's a bit fiddly with a lot of moving parts like a lot of kickstarters.

It's worth a shot on boardgamearena to see I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Someone help me think of good games older than like 4 years old worth roughly $60 USD. I am trying to trade Mare Nostrum Empires + Atlas, but my wants are too selective even before sending out messages on BGG.

Alternatively, if someone here wants it, let's work out something.

Games which total $60 or $60 each?

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Cyclades
Isle of Skye
Lewis and Clark

?

They're all good and 4 years or so old I think.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

First I've seen anyone suggest Lewis and Clark. I know it's highly rated, but found it interesting that I've not heard anyone talk about it .

I quite like Lewis and Clark, its a bit of an odd cookie. Kinda Hand Management, kinda worker placement. The mechanic is really novel I think, of the dozen and dozens of games we've got it stands out and different which gets points for me. Main downside is that there's no real way to come back in it, once you mess up it can stay messed up for ages as you try to work out a way to cross mountains or whatever. There's lots of workable strategies as well as to how you're going to do it which is nice.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spiggy posted:

Real pros use the bunny meeples from Dixit no matter the game- color is irrelevant.

My 5 year old nephew is obsessed by the Dixit bunnies, as we should all be.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Through the Desert camels are the pinnacle of board game components and color choices.

Are they better than the camel up camels?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I was going to say Decrypto but you have an odd number. How about some roll and writes like Welcome To, that's good or Picassimo a game you can play drunk on holiday.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

!Klams posted:

It annoys me that my friends don't see Libertalia the same way I do, which is that I could basically play it forever, it's almost exactly simple enough and deep enough and balanced enough to be the sort of thing you could just get REALLY deep on and get meta strategies going and the like.

I love Libertalia but we did lose a game to a cat once.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, I don't play as many board games as I'd like to but I'm hoping for a recommendation before I head over to my mom's house today. We mostly play dumb dice games like Farkle so I'm hoping to instead go to my local gaming store and find something that is:

1) horror themed 2) co-operative 3)rules light and fast 4) commonly found at stores that sell Warhammer 40k miniatures and RPG rulebooks.

This store has a whole wall of board games, so I know they stock several dozen titles, but it's a fantasy/sci fi gaming store so I don't think they're going to carry stuff like, Tigris & Euphrates (I listen to the three moves ahead podcast about board games and then never get to play them.)

Maybe not quite on breif but Mysterium?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The only practical reason for a review embargo is because the game sucks. What other purpose could it serve? People had the game and were playing it so they could legitimately review it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

He also, in an industry that isn't particularly innovative in some ways (like marketing and publishing), seems unafraid to openly try different things and talk about them.

Ah yes building hype about a mediocre game to make sure lots of people buy it on pre-orders. That's the innovation we're looking for in boardgaming.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Frozen Peach posted:

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a Jamey fan girl, and I have no problem admitting that the review embargo is fuel for the hype train and serves no other purpose, but to apply malicious intent and review bomb because of it is just stupid.

How can it be anything other than malicious? People had the game but weren't allowed to review it?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

Yes, board games are unique from every other medium in that it's entirely self taught. There's not only a rush among reviewers to be first, reviewers sometimes actively get things wrong in a rush to be first. We often complain about one-and-done reviews because on a reviewer's end all they care about are page hits. That's not saying it won't happen with embargoes but if I were a board game publisher I would rather a reviewer sit on the review for 2 weeks and hope they refine it over time than copy my loving press release word for word with excerpts from the manual you directly quote.

I mean lol is you think it's not going to be exactly the same quality of review just later. A reviewer that cares to do an in depth review will always do that, someone just bashing them out will always do that. The Embargo is just a dumb publicity stunt to mask an otherwise humdrum game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kind of reminds me of Colonial with the national powers. France and the British worked out early about just declaring War on people was a cheap path to prestige. There was not point attacking each other and just sailed around waiting for one of the other nations to gain a prestige so they could punch it out of them like the school bullies they were..

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cenotaph posted:

Well you've got one of the best auction games ever, a classic, simple Euro in Imhotep, and a well regarded racing game. Seems like you've got quality, variety, and plenty of player interaction. Haven't played Camel Up myself but setup is a breeze in the other two.

Camel Up is really good I think. The expansion adds a little bit of fiddling but just the base game is easy to setup and play. I'd say it's better than Downforce as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Terraforming Mars is ok I think. I like the map part and terraforming part and the engine building is decent, like a complicated 7 Wonders almost. I think the game was just a bit long, you end up with so many parts and there are so many options that counter picking is literally just counter picking, unlikely to benefit your engine at all which I see as a weakness. The Corporations are not balanced with each other either.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redundant posted:

One of my gaming groups was talking about TFM and were saying that, with expansions, they have to put aside 4+ hours to get through it all. I couldn't figure out if they were playing it wrong or if the game is just kind of bloated, either way I have no great desire to play it after hearing that. I can count on one hand the number of games that I've been a part of that were 4+ hours and enjoyable to the very end. One of those was a goon game of JoCo so make of that what you will.

I keep trying to convince my friends that mechanics > theme when it comes to how fun a game is. It's weird because they really like Azul which is an abstract version of doing manual labour but getting them to do some trading in the Med is just impossible (looks boring and really basic maths is apparently too much effort). Even getting Pandemic Legacy to the table needed the carrot of boxes and stickers to get people fully engaged.

It's cool though, I will bring Colt Express and we can play another game with almost zero meaningful decisions... :eng99: I don't dislike Colt Express but sometimes I want to actually compete and have clever plans pan out but opportunities for that feel very limited a lot of the time. I am starting to think that the biggest problem is preconceived ideas of how difficult the game is going to be instead of just trying a few turns and seeing how it plays out. That's a tough hurdle to get past though because if you're not willing to engage, try and maybe make a few bad decisions and lose then it will always seem complicated. Even without player elimination or clear scoring some people are just allergic to the idea of losing which really limits choices.

We've been having a lot of fun playing Dinosaur Island recently, it's a fun theme and the mechanics are not too bad at all.

That said our group loves a mechanic based game as much a theme based one which is why Power Grid still sees play time. On that note the updated Power Grid rules are actually really good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lord Of Texas posted:

I've played 75-minute games and I've played 3.5 hour games of TFM, it really depends on who you are playing with and which expansions.

Like most games with rotating turns, if you have players with AP or who are simply really bad at communicating that they are passing the turn, the game can drag on.

I think it depends if your points engine drives the end game or not. Like if you have a few people close on points then it's not in anyone's interest to actually make the game end until they are in the lead. The people behind certainly don't want to end it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Less dry subject matter you say? Thurn and Taxis then.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For me I prefer the more passive aggressive interaction in a Euro game, you don't attack someone's position you block them from progressing their. Something like Power Grid each phase there's a lot of manoeuvring for position, a lot of planning to see if buying all the coal is worth it to you in the long run. Then thinking about another game I love Eclipse it become more an exercise in cutting down the tall poppy.

Our group mostly play 5 or 6 players games as well I find adversarial games the play time increases almost exponentially with the number of players.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Oh nice, also reminded me that I have Through the Ages on my phone.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Still reading through but holy poo poo that Caesar buff

I think it's reasonable, the once per game effect just made him too limited compared to a lot of other leaders.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played a game of just the new stuff and I was chugging along fine if slightly unfocused Confucius -> Eleanor of Aquitaine -> Antoni Gaudi, Gaudi just really accelerated my Culture massively building Arena's so when I transitioned into Nelson Mandela I was get 6 culture a turn just from him. Some of the new leaders are really good. Eleanor of Aquitaine especially I think.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 17, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Our record was the second move of the game, and it triggered the haunt which sucks the house into the void. Less than five minutes from start to finish.

On like our second game we dossed about for a turn, I went to the basement, the haunt started and I was the traitor who had so kill someone in the basement. Next move someone fell though the floor onto me just in time for me to kill them, game over. It's such a weird loving game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redundant posted:

I lost a game of Concordia tonight because I forgot to buy a new colonist when I used my Tribune. I had the resources, I just switched off and forgot to put one out. A precautionary tale about the perils of being a buffoon with a short attention span.

Are there any goon recs for big player count (7-8) games? I've got a games weekend thing organised but it was more popular than I expected, I've got a few games to cover that number (Secret Hitler, Cash n Guns, Sushi Go!, makeshift Skull) but nothing really good. I figure we're better off splitting into 2 groups but people aren't initially keen on that. Maybe a PnP like Escape From the Aliens In Outer Space will help pad things out?

Decrypto is really good, for me it's better than code names but other people might disagree.

Wilderness is good for 7.

Welcome To goes up that high but not sure exactly how easy it would be with 8.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redundant posted:

In typical fashion after the chat in this thread about Betrayal being a bit of a stinker my friends have given it to me as a gift. We will definitely end up playing it a few times so other than the changes to how a haunt starts are there any other suggestions to make it more tolerable?

Drink very heavily.

And play it quickly, no AP as nothing matters until the haunt anyway and maybe not even then.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Today I played Horrified and Star Wars Outer Rim

Horrified is a horror-themed co-op Pandemic-like and was okay, nothing to write home about but decent enough. I’m not a big co-op fan but the game went quickly, which is more than I can say for Outer Rim, which was interminable. It’s basically a Star Wars themed board game version of the Elite video games - you fly around space taking jobs, doing bounties, smuggling, etc. I’m not sure why it took so long, most of my turns were pretty quick. Part of the problem is that there’s little to think about during other players turns and little direct interaction. In a game like say Scythe I’ll be spending other players turns trying to figure out what I’m gonna do on my next turn and rethinking and adjusting as the game state evolves. In Outer Rim I already knew “I’m gonna fly to Mon Calamari and turn in this quest” or whatever before I finished my previous turn and spent most of the downtime on my phone. One of the other players spent three turns trying to complete the same quest on the same planet but failing due to bad dice the first two times. Speaking of which yeah there’s dice combat/quests too which I’m not huge on. There were some cool features like the different ships you could buy and upgrade but I’m not in any hurry to play it again.

Outer Rim is not too bad for a bit of fun. The game isn't balanced so I would recommend everyone plays Bounty Hunters or everyone plays Resistance folk. There's just that hint of Ameritrash in it like some people join Lando/Han Solo etc for free but there's no such benefit for Boba Fett for example. I think the game only really comes alive when you can use the factions to block people or when someone has crew on their ship that you need for a bounty. But in general it's not too serious, just chill and play. 4 Player game take 2 1/2 - 3hrs I think. We keep finding that it's close at the top and then there's someone in the wilderness points wise at the end and there's no realistic way for them to catch up in that last hour as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh wow I had no idea you could even get bounties for peoples' crew, we never had anything cool like that happen. The factions barely came into play at all, I tried using one card that let me move a patrol to block one player's movement, but it turns out her personal goal was blowing up ships so whoops all I did was help her. That's on me for not checking everyone's poo poo out sooner but in general it seemed pretty easy to stay on neutral or positive with most factions and even random incidental blocking only came up once or twice. None of the faction ships higher than level 2 came out. We did only play to 8 fame but even that took 2.5-3 hours like you said.

I would say playing to 10 points (I think that's right) doesn't take that much longer as they game accelerates towards the end. There are some light tactics in the game, but very light, it's mostly about you doing your own thing. A couple of the upgraded ships involve messing with other players, but it's incidental.

If you have a Bounty on someone and someone else gets them as Crew then you can hunt them down and you opponents gets to either give them up and you fight them normally or you fight your opponent for them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, I just looked up Black Orchestra, and that does look like a cool and interesting take on the formula! Personally, the only ones I've played are base Pandemic, as well as Pandemic Rome - both of which I enjoyed. I quite liked the flavour and migration mechanics in Rome, although that might just be me

Black Orchestra is good.

I think Yggdrasil is a good Co-op game as well. Or Flashpoint, we played that last week and actually managed to save the Submarine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

See a few folks talking about it but is Sidereal Confluence good? Is it good enough to pick up second hand or just hang on till the 2nd edition comes out?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

Anybody home? What'd y'all play over the weekend? I played Barrage with some super mean people! I mean they are nice in real life but not in the game!! I lost of course, clearly I need to be meaner :)

We did casual games this weekend, played Cave Painting which was fun. We only played 3 rounds out of the 6. With 6 players a round can take 20 mins and I don't think it's good for 2 hours. Fun for an hour though. Then into Decrypto, great game obviously.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm looking to fill the hole that Pandemic Legacy Season One has left behind

We want something that plays in 60-90 minutes, works with two and isn't ultra light weight.

We don't mind whether it's co-op or competitive.

Any thoughts from that vague brief?

Trying to think of things that fit into your time constraint.

Seasons?

Isle of Skye (Less good with 2)

King Domino

Tash-Kalar

Arboretum

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bodanarko posted:

Stonemaier stan here, 5 plays of Tapestry in the books, plenty more to come.

Overall very fun, definitely get the GSC itch from trying to stack combos late in the game. I love the painted sculpts and puzzling out the capital city, would not be the same with cardboard chits or whatever.

Balance issues with tapestry cards are totally overblown, but there are some serious issues with balance between the civ/factions. Had a game in which I played pretty much optimally with my faction and was blown out 300-81 due to someone playing optimally with another, literally nothing I could do to take points away from them without costing myself an equal amount.

Having asymmetric powers can allow for the meta handling balance, but with a game with so little interaction, it just isn’t enough to make up for some combos. Stonemaier does lots of playtesting and it seems thorough, but imbalance stuff like this seems to make it into many of their games.

If you don’t like Stonemaier’s other offerings then probably pass, if you enjoy wingspan/scythe/viticulture then it’s worth trying before buying.

Wildly unbalanced with no player interaction for only £90? Where do I sign up.

Also Stonemaier do not playtest for balance. They simply cannot be doing that and release the games they do.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Though if we want to start another derail about the benefits of games being well balanced, I'm totally up for that.

Let's go, balance is good and makes better, more fun games for everyone.

The only thing worse than wildly unbalanced games are people who refuse to win at things like Fluxx because its more 'fun' that way.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Frozen Peach posted:

The only truly balanced games are symetrical simulatenous turn abstracts and you can argue every game is unbalanced if you try hard enough and lots of people just use "balance" as an excuse to hate on games that aren't to their liking.

Balance is a spectrum not an absolute. Asymmetric games are very hard to balance but its possible to try. Look at something like Scythe where is was theoretically playtested a lot but then it came out and Stonemaier were like "idk ban rus-industrial?". If you sit down for a 2 hour game of Scythe but you get Nordic then you've got your work cut out to actually win. The game would be unarguably better if you had a closer chance of winning compared to the other factions.

So unless you're saying that the more unbalanced the game the more fun it is we can all agree more balanced is more fun.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Scythe was playtested with the expansion factions and boards. That there turned out to only be two broken combos out of 49 isn't too bad, really.

Best thing is that combo isn't even the most powerful. It's also more about the general power levels, Nordics are just worse than everyone else. A whole standard deviation worse than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Tapestry brings up an interesting question for me: how does the amount of money you spend on a board game affect how much you enjoy it, if at all? For instance, I like Wingspan well enough, but I think if I had paid $100 for it I probably would like it a lot less.

For me cost doesn't factor into how much fun I'll have playing a game. But it does affect if I buy the game at all. Recently I was considering Everdell, looks OK. But for our normal number of players I'd need to base game plus the expansion to play it really. So I'm looking at £100 for something which is OK. With it being only OK it's not going to get to the table that often either so that's where it falls down.