Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tekopo posted:

I dunno much about Castle of Burgundy actually, which is why it's not included. If people want to do write up of games, I'll add them to the second post of the thread so the OP isn't too long.

I fuckin knew it.

Castles of burgundy: a pleasant, non confrontational euro that defines the "point salad" approach. Build your castles in the French countryside at the request of your king (surprise !) gaining victory points from almost every action. Previous player take the thing you wanted? Don't worry, there's more stuff next round. It's the only good use of dice in a modern board game.

That's my writeup. Use it or I refuse to read this thread. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'd say recommend Forbidden Desert before pandemic. It's tighter, cheaper, and plays 5 people.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedit posted:

Probably he's never played them. Heck, I haven't even heard of Macao.

Also in the "good use of dice" category: Troyes, Praetor and Euphoria.

I hate explaining jokes, so

Kiranamos posted:

"That dude made a clearly hyperbolic statement"

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's not a super deep game. Strategy rarely runs beyond changing turn order to get all the cows. Building towards tech for end game vp will almost always pay off nicely as well. Either way these are overt strategies, kinda piled on top of each other.

This game gets recommended a lot because it's a shallower game. It plays pretty nice between two, which is also a plus.

It sounds like you'd be more interested in some heavier euros. Would you like to know more?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Malloreon posted:

7 wonders is a bad game.

By what metric? How is it too random? The card distribution is seeded to match the players, so it largely plays the same no matter the players.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's the theme of the whole OP and one of the best games Reiner Knizia has ever made.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

goodness posted:

Any recommendations for bird/card games on the iPhone?

I'll have an iPad after Xmas I think so that should open up my options a bit.

Puerto Rico, Caylus, Eclipse, Galaxy Trucker, maybe a Dominion port.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's definitely variations on the same puzzle, but I had a lot of replays with Pandemic.

As a flat out better game with all the same stuff, I highly recommend Forbidden Desert. It even looks pretty.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

malkav11 posted:

I wonder if Forbidden Desert is actually flat out better than Pandemic with expansions. I can't say I've played Forbidden Desert or Pandemic with In the Lab (and isn't there a third out/coming soon? Or am I thinking of the dice game?), so I can't personally judge, but it sounds like expanded Pandemic would be a richer experience, to me. Not that there aren't plenty of coop games I'd rather play over any of Leacock's trio, starting with Flash Point and culminating with Mage Knight.

As one of the main problems of Pandemic that Forbidden Desert circumvents (card management), I'd call it a strictly better game. I own OTB and ITL expansions, and I still prefer Forbidden Desert almost every time. Its more thematic, simpler in play, cheaper, and plays up to 5 without needing an expansion. You'll get more options with base pandemic + OTB + ITL, but it'll cost a lot more, and is a weaker base.

I'm not sure about other pandemic expansions. There's a solo one where you play as plague inc basically, but if I were new to the hobby, I'd wait for pandemic legacy, as that is the theoretical maximum for plays within a group on any pandemic game anyway.

I jumped off the Pandemic wagon after realizing they were never gonna stop making expansions.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tekopo posted:

Alright, let's expand on that. Some of the good points about Munchkin is that, within a group that understands the source material, it leads to a good 'in-feeling' because everyone understands the jokes and can revel in them. In a close knit group that is really into a particular theme (Adventure Time, Cthulhu etc) this is great, but it creates problems in more public/open groups, especially ones that don't draw from the main nerd demographic and draws more from a demographic that doesn't immerse itself into the details of nerdy obsessions. This is my situation, actually. It's also what I meant by Munchkin being exclusionary.

Gameplay is shallow, but that sometimes is not a bad thing. In a party situation, you don't want a game that is going to be too difficult to learn/too cerebral to play. But Munchkin hits the stop in which the rules actively detract from the enjoyment: this is mostly due to the end-game unfortunately, which drags indefinitely/until people are out of 'gently caress-you' cards. Also, if the game ONLY works in a party/drunk situations, why is that the case? Why are there games that work perfectly well in both a 'party' atmosphere as well as outside it (Cash 'n' Guns seems to spring to mind mostly). How can it be a strong recommendation if the only enjoyment you can derive from a game is when you need a social lubricant to actually make it work?

Munchkin is also a game that leads to outright un-fun situations if people are getting screwed. Munchkin is a game where doing badly/getting unlucky can directly affect how much influence you have in the game. And telling someone that he is a bad sport because he feels down because the game isn't allowing him to progress is kind of crappy.

I think Munchkin can be a step, but at least to me it can lead to dead-ends in terms of people progressing to better stuff. It might be a step up from the likes of Monopoly, but it is a small step and doesn't stop the thoughts of 'board games are still the random luck-fests that I played when I was young'. With so much out there, why settle for Munchkin when there are much better stepping stones, both in terms of party games and just games in general?

I will quote this in perpetuity every time this discussion rears its ugly head.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ropes4u posted:

Zombie Munchkin
Zombie Munchkin with minis
Cthulhu Munchkin
Dice Munchkin

I could be a millionaire...

They made 3/4 of these already. For that matter, they also have munchkin minis.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KingKapalone posted:

Played Eldritch Horror for the first time and have some miscellaneous questions and thoughts.

First I'm surprised it's talked about as much here because there is so much random dice rolling. There were a lot of items that some of us bought that gave rerolls, but still.

It's only talked about because it's the best nerdbait Cthulhu board game. This does not make it a good game, but compared to other Cthulhu games it's a work of art.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sure, but you've gotta clear sand from the get go. The archaeologist is helpful for this, but not necessary. Considering you can also clear sand from adjacent tiles, it's not unreasonable to expect everyone to spend at least one action per turn on removing sand.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I want Petz

E: email sent. Forgot to put a closing on it, so I'll just say thank you for the opportunity.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 30, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

quote:

And my sincere apologies to that one guy who is either upset that I'm giving stuff away or that I don't like Kemet. Or both. I dunno.

Edit for content: just because someone doesn't enjoy a thing you are single mindedly emphatic about does not give you license to act like an rear end. This applies to all things, but is doubly true for hobbies.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 30, 2014

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I meant that also in regards to the thread getting really upset and defensive about games. It's p much the munchkin discussion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fair enough. I can be a grumpy old man some all the time. These kids just keep talking about "fun" and walking on my lawn.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fat Turkey posted:

Dominant Species any good? I've seen a run through of it and it looked pretty decent. £16 sale price seemed pretty decent.

It is spectacular and one of the best worker placement games I've ever played (I've played Caylus and Dungeon Lords, for reference).

However, at 16 pounds, it sounds ridiculously cheap. There's also a card game which is not as well regarded, but is significantly cheaper. Maybe that's the version you're looking at. Pass on the card game, get the board game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ladies and gentlemen may also work. It does high player counts.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Toshimo posted:

Do they measure in units sold or total $?

Why would they measure in dollars? That's not a fair comparison. Machi Koro costs like three bucks or something.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If you liked the quasi-boardgame aspect of cube magic, Netrunner base box should be hitting the sweet spot for you. The base has enough cards to make a few decks on either side and a lot of customization within themes.

That said, I don't play the game anymore because my friends can't be assed to build a deck out of my cards that they'd wanna play with. I made the problem worse by buying expansions (anyone wanna buy my netrunner?)

We have a Netrunner thread if you'd wanna read up, but if it interests you, I'd recommend the core box.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You'd need to buy 7 of them to make the game consistent

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've found its never worth it to pay those stupid aftermarket prices. Keyflower is a popular game, it will be reprinted in the next year or two. Practice the art of patience.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

No, it's not. Your friends took waaaaaay too long to decide between three options.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Avalon games tend to run from 40 min to an hour, though this is not all play time. Your group may just take their time with stuff. As long as it's enjoyable.

I, however, bought a 1 minute sand timer because if I let them, my friends would debate options all night.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm convinced the only good two player board games are two player board games. Everything else is merely adequate at best.

Castles of Burgundy is excellent with two, and I would wager better than with four. It's on par with three players.

It also sounds like Kemet isn't the game for that person, regardless of player count. I wouldn't recommend against playing it again with a different set up, but it might not fix any of the problems they have with the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It reminds me a lot of Dirty Duck, right down to the titties and coloring.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

MildManeredManikin posted:

I haven't played twilight struggle but holy gently caress it's got a dense rule book and seems like it takes a bit to learn.

It really isn't that hard. The basics are:
    1. Play your headline (first card played, only the event is used)
    2a. Soviet player plays card
    2b. American player plays card
    3. Repeat step 2 until six cards have been played (7 including headline)
    4. Get a new hand, it's the next turn

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The insert can't handle more than the wonder pack, and you might be in a lovely boat when you end up sleeving. That said, the leaders and cities expansions boxes are exactly half the width of the game box, so you can stack them right atop the main box.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

T-Bone posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations guys (and the K2 reviews) Temporum looks pretty great, had never heard of it -- and Viticulture/Concordia were two I had looked at a while ago but were worried about theme wise. Now that I think/know my group won't care as much I'll have to bring them back into the debate. Definitely want to get a heavier euro to the table sometime soon to see how we do, although I don't know if I have the balls to buy Terra Mystica before trying something like Agricola or Caylus. Lots to chew on :o:

More stuff:

How would you guys compare Kemet vs. Cyclades? Does Dominant Species factor at all in here, or completely different ballgame?

I think I have a good idea about where to go worker placement wise, but for a game with a strong auction mechanic (GoT sorta has this but it's still at it's heart fightey): anyone have any thoughts on Princes of Florence/El Grande/Keyflower?

e: and Warhammer Diskwars looks really cool. Chaos in the Old World is such a fun game, god the WH theme rules

Keyflower is a really strong worker placement that people seem to love, and it will be getting a reprint soon. Dominant Species is an excellent and, from what I've seen, fairly unique take on worker placement, given the emphasis on direct conflict. (Age of Empires maybe? I digress). Really though, you can't top the King (Phillip the Fair.)

I've kinda felt that Game of Thrones was Kemet+Diplomacy, and would be a great place to look for something a little deeper than Kemet.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Broken Loose posted:

Amazing.

It should be noted that while Travis is doing all this, Don Eskridge is being a helpful bro of a dude on literally every rules question on the HI+HA forums. I'd feel sorry for Don but hopefully he's seeing some of the hundreds of thousands of dollars Travis has made.

Fill me in here

Who: is Don Eskridge
What: is HI+HA
Where: is Don's money
Why: doesn't Don get paid on time
How: do I end this weak joke

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dr. VooDoo posted:

My biggest regret is missing this kickstarter. That wooden box will never be mine now :negative:

That's how I feel about the collectors edition of Twilight Struggle. Wooden chits, you will be mine

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

QnoisX posted:

Has anyone tried the Suburbia app? Considering that it's only $4 compared to $40 for the board game, would it be a decent substitute to buy that instead and use pass and play? I have a 12" tablet and could possibly use screen mirroring to the tv. Not sure how that would work with secret goals. Already have the Galaxy Trucker app that I play solo at least. That's another hard game to get to the table. I swear I think I might just need a new group... ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of tablet is it? I always wanted to use this website on a big tablet rather than the board. Then I would only need to bring a deck box to take TS everywhere.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Azran posted:

Alright, good recommendations so far. The people I play with looooove games where you compete against each other and try to be the most amazing dick. That aside, how's Ladies & Gentlemen/The Resistance? Those picked my interest.

They are completely different games, but if I can make a recommendation, stay away from buying the resistance. Just buy a deck of cards and poker chips, proxy the game, and don't give IB&C money.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rutibex posted:

I'm not in love with the mechanics, but I had fun reading it and in the end that's all that matters right?

Knocked it out of the park.

Re: Euphoria, it looks excellent, and it's been on my wish list for a while now, but I can't bring myself to pay $70 for it. I just got Dung Lords & Dung Petz so I already have two excellent WP games that haven't seen the table yet. Just gotta hope it stays in print for a while.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A Jupiter posted:

Just played my first game of Twilight Struggle. Man is it an accurate simulation of the back and forth of the cold war. A few lucky coups got me, the USSR player, control of Central America and domination of Middle East and Asia (could never get Japan).

I was up 14 points at one time but then mid game Pope John Paul II got elected and I lost Poland and my hold of Eastern Europe. The last 3 turns was me just desperately trying to hold onto East Germany while just making sure I would score enough at the end of turn 10, but on turn 9 Chernobyl hit Asia and I lost both Asia and Middle East domination and just got stomped.

Rarely does a 4 hour game leave me wanting to play another round immediately after. I gotta beat my friend now!

You have failed the soviet ideal by not ending the game by turn 7 at the latest.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Madmarker posted:

Amun-Re was one of my main intros into modern boardgaming, and I still hold it up as a great auction mechanic game.

mine was munchkin. :colbert:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alex WS posted:

I'm looking to buy a strategy game with territory building and conflict between players. Preferably one with a strong theme and unique player abilities. I was pretty much decided on Small World, but the more I read about it, the more it seems very, very light, and easily outgrown. My group really enjoy Risk Legacy and Eclipse, so Small World might be too light? I've looked briefly on a few other games. I really want a game playable by more than 2 players (so BattleLore and Mage Wars are no gos), and preferably with good art and cool looking units (no wooden cubes thanks). Any good suggestions? Is RuneWars good?

Bonus question: I've seen many people using round, clear plastic trays for storing tokens in. Like the ones seen in here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/. Anybody know where I can buy these?

The strategy game you're after is Chaos in the Old World, a WH40k board game where the players act as gods of the old world and try to win... I dunno, shoulder pads and skulls?

Anyway, it's asymmetric, area control, hugely driven by theme and is regarded as an excellent game by most. People end up saying "faction A is too strong" every once in a while, but it never seems to be the same faction across play groups, so that implies that it's actually relatively balanced.

And those particular dishes are from the Pandemic: On the Brink expansion. But if you didn't want them for pandemic, they're just regular Petri dishes.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Supreme Court posted:

Kemet rules and hits every one of your points out of the park. As a bonus, it also skips the build-up stage of strategy games and goes right into fighting and vendettas.

There are unique powers available to buy, not ones baked into each players option. Kemet I think is close but no cigar in this situation. A good option b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

thespaceinvader posted:

CitOW isn't WH40k, it's Warhammer Fantasy. Same four gods, fantasy world not scifi.

Fair enough. I know gently caress all about warhammer outside of shoulder pads and skulls.