Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So I showed my boyfriend cutthroat caverns as well as a few of the other games you guys suggested. Unfortunately one of the links I gave him went to SUSD and now he wants cosmic encounter. This plan certainly went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Explain to those of us who have no idea what this is? Guessing this is some sort of classic game I've never heard of because because i am some ignorant peasant.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
In an amusing sidenote to my boyfriend wanting to get cosmic encounter for christmas. Today a big box came and in it was the 1980 version of cosmic encounter. I'm not sure if I should be amused or horrified. Apparently the latest edition is sold out and someone ripped him off!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Galaxy trucker on android is teaching me I got some of the rules wrong too!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

S.J. posted:

Anything in particular? I love GT but it seems like my plays of it are infrequent enough that I'm always misremembering something.

Apparently when putting together your ship, any piece already in place is fixed and new pieces have to match all connections. I always played it as you only had to match one, but this lead to hilarious events of ships falling apart after one hit that I thought was a feature.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What are the main differences between mad king Ludwig and suburbia? I know I've heard goons say that Ludwig is better but suburbia's theme seems more appealing.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
poo poo. Both of those games sound pretty fun. Guess I'm hosed!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

GrandpaPants posted:

I personally like Ludwig better because the price setting makes the game way better for > 2 players. Suburbia is fine with 2p, but even at 3, you can see your options dwindle really quickly as the market track just moves really quickly. I also think the "accounting" section of Ludwig is a lot better, since you may get a lot of retroactive effects in Suburbia (eg., all businesses generate +1 income), whereas Ludwig is much more localized, either by only affecting adjacent rooms or by having the universal point rooms (eg., all kitchens give 2 points) be theoretically grouped in one section of the castle. But like I mentioned earlier, there is a risk of bad players being Kingmakers in Ludwig by setting certain rooms to be way cheaper than they should.

I was sort of leaning towards suburbia just because I want to build a drat city in a board game. But I guess I rarely play many games 2p as we are already pretty set for those.

Seriously though I just want to play simcity the board game. I guess a 4x might be better for that though.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 5, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How good is Z-man about replacing parts? I got a friend pandemic for christmas, and they got an automated message about the replacement parts on the 27th (No red cubes were included in the box at all). And nothing since then.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's this battlecon game that's at the top of the list? I haven't seen anyone discuss it in the thread ever.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just played my first game of Eclipse And I was really loving impressed with it. The setup was a massive pain in the rear end, but it was a really easy game to learn. With all of your possible actions clearly listed on your player sheet. The biggest load of bullshit was the diplomacy though, with no shared victory it seemed like there was little reason not to throw away your ally at the first moment you could take advantage of it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Texibus posted:

I think it's finally happening, I'm going to be able to repel an alien invasion with my bros from a secret facility somewhere in the world come the 28th. Xcom is shipping, maybe. Been looking forward to this since August when I demoed it at gencon

It looks like all the boring parts of xcom without any of the fun parts though? Or at least that's what the previews looked like

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

thespaceinvader posted:

Descent 2e or Mage Knight if unlike the guy from a couple of pages back you can get over Mage Knight's monsters not moving. Mage Knight is by far a better game.

How is imperial assault compared to descent? Not exactly DND but I've heard they improved a few things.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Sadsack posted:

I would love to get Imperial Assault, but my house can only hold so much Star Wars crap.

Okay. I can read this post but its just gibberish to me.

My only issues are convincing friends to play all these dumb star wars games

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So is Sheriff of Nottingham any good? I see that Vassel recommended it highly and was involved in the development, and I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 29, 2015

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Countblanc posted:

Yomi has one of the best online game clients I can think of, and also it loving owns. Also a really good tutorial.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

You can also play Puzzle Strike and Flash Duel there.

What's main difference between yomi and battlecon? I am looking to grab one soon.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lord Frisk posted:

im trying to eat up the last $10 in store credit

An xwing figure is ten bucks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Gimnbo posted:

I always tell people Terra Mystica is like Eclipse without combat because I have no better reference point.

Now I want Terra mystica thanks a loving lot

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Chomp8645 posted:

Twilight Imperium 3.

Alternatively if video game analogies suffice then every Civilization game made in the last ten years.

Which expansion is needed? It is my aspiration to one day play TI3

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So I'm having trouble with board games for 3-4 players.

Generally when I have friends over we resort to Galaxy Trucker or Small World Mostly because they're easy to teach to new people with a minimum of setup. Most of the other games that I have are either two player (Mage Wars, Netrunner, Star Wars Armada) or take too long to setup and I don't feel like doing it (Imperial Assault, Descent 2e)

I'm looking for games with faster setup time. They don't have to be super easy to teach to play but some alternatives would be great.,

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Narrator posted:

Someone else ITT got Crusader Kings too right? I'd love a trip report when possible, I'm grimly fascinated to see if it's a great mess or a terrible one.

I got it. But yeah it's gonna take a bit for me to bring it to the table too

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm getting rid of some older games I have and curious if anyone has any good travel games that are short on board space. So far it's just Coup for me and I'm looking to grow the collection!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Shadow225 posted:

What player count and depth are you looking for? I've been making a travel pack myself that I keep in my car. I know Bottom Liner has a pretty good travel list.

Four players or more ideally. Checking out these games so far, thanks for the info!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm going to try out tiny epic galaxies, as I always love sci-fi games. Valley of the kings looks promising, but I already have a deckbuilding game on the way (Shards of infinity)

Edit: also it seems it's not available anywhere? I only see the premium edition of Valley of the kings

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jedit posted:

VOTK should be available almost everywhere. It's definitely still on Amazon UK.

I'm just seeing a bunch of expansions of VOTK , afterlife and last rites. The base game is just 80+ bucks from gougers

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Sinteres posted:

As an owner of a shelved copy of Gloomhaven that I look at regretfully all the time, yeah. I'm still hoping I'll find the perfect situation where I'll be able to regularly play it with someone, but realistically it's probably just going to keep on collecting dust and I'll eventually play the digital campaign, because set up, tear down, and organizing everything in general got to be too much for me.

Getting the broken token organizer for gloomhaven is a must in order to actually play it. Without it I can't imagine ever unpacking or packing it

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Are there any good board games out now with a Dungeon Master type role? Something like last Friday, mysterium, or descent. Where one player runs the game for others? My friend loves that poo poo

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Treasure island definitely looks like his kind of poo poo, thanks! He's probably love imperial assault as well, except we're already in a gloomhaven campaign so that would be a bit too much!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It’s not so much the price of the Arkham horror tcg that throws me off, just the redundancy of it I guess. The core set IS like half off on amazon so really you could get two for the price of one.

It's not even that bad. I think you needed four netrunner core boxes or something ridiculous like that? They've gotten better

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Getting ready to set up Root for the first time and I'm nervous about teaching it. Anyone have any tips for making sure everything goes smoothly?

I've never played it either

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

pospysyl posted:

Level 99 literally just reprinted Argent this month, but I wouldn't expect copies to have reached FLGS by now. Kemet's more likely in stores and has a bunch of spell-like abilities in a cool fantasy Egyptian setting.

Isn't Kemet 2.0 coming out though?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

teacup posted:

Is there a non expensive way to get into Arkham horror card game? I saw a review mention it was a great co op experience but a bit expensive to get everything. Can I just buy like the base game then a “season” box or do I have to pick up individual packs?

Check eBay for someone dumping their collection?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like the guys behind March of the Ants managed to evade a global disruption of manufacturing and supply chains by the skin of their teeth, and I will be getting my Ants (and all expansions and a billion wooden ant meeples) within the next few days.

Oh god I'm about to get two expansions and a game with no box insert to organize it. I'm loving scared

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The digital version of spirit island is out and I fully now realize how bad I am at the game. Any tips for winning? Its the most brutally hard board game I've ever played

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So every spirit is bad at something--but by working together, you can overcome these weaknesses. Is the digital version of Spirit Island single player?

The intro tutorial is 1 spirit but also just brutally murders you over and over. Playing with friends it's slightly easier, but I'm trying to figure it out myself before dragging friends in again

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jimmeeee posted:

Which spirit have you been using so far? And does it pit you against an adversary to start, or is it just the base game?

It's literally just the base game, one board with water surges in sunlight. That's the tutorial

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Anyone have any of the best games on tabletop sim? Scripted if possible. I'm really desperate for a board game lately.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jimmeeee posted:

There's also a very active Discord community for the game. It's pretty easy to get a game going at pretty much any time of the day and they're happy to teach new people. The link is in the description of the mod.

And I'll second the mod being excellent. It streamlines a bunch of stuff and makes it so it takes 30-45 minutes to play a solo game. That's pretty tough to beat.

Yeah but the digital version seems better than the tts version in my opinion!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

John Dyne posted:

One of the reviews mentioned it didn't have online multiplayer. Was that just for early access, or is it still weirdly single player?

As with most board games you can play using remote play together .

Most board games without hidden information at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Redundant posted:

I have Root split between 2 boxes but might go back and try to reshuffle it into one. The March of the Ants Kickstarter made me a full convert to the one box crew.

Hey, uh. I have the ants Kickstarter too. Any good inserts I can get?