Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

al-azad posted:

As long as no one is competing withy my Cards against Hannity, a gently caress you to FOX correspondent and slumlord rear end in a top hat.

I'd buy the poo poo out of this and I hate that whole genre of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Rutibex posted:

The best solution is to play the normal Race for the Galaxy card game, which has more distinct colours and doesn't pointlessly add a bunch of dice to the game.

I.... actually agree with this statement.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

CaptainRightful posted:

Maura Kalusky also belongs in the pantheon of lovely boardgame artists.

Whoever did the box cover for Darjeeling also deserves a spot.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

jivjov posted:

My group is starting Pandemic Legacy Season 2 tonight; are there any "commonly overlooked pitfalls" or anything we should know about going in? 3 of us are carrying on from our Season 1 group so we're good on the "how to use the legacy deck" type stuff

When you pick the bottom card from the infection deck during an outbreak, remove all the supplies from that city before shuffling/redrawing. We overlooked that part for the first few months and were only pulling one cube off.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Merauder posted:

Yeah I was super it confused on the point he was making, but assumed he didn’t know about this game.

I actually own it and it's endearing enough for me to not sell it. It does live in the closet though as opposed to the main shelving units.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I haven't been following board game news for a while, did Jamie ever drop the hammer on the Scythe art guy, or is he still defending him?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got to try out a few new (to me) games this week:

Dinosaur Island: It's really no surprise that this is by the guy who did Dead of Winter, as it's another example of mashing together game concepts together without knowing why they work. While there are tons of nods to the Jurassic Park franchise, I never truly felt like I was really creating a park. The DNA management was just pushing a few cubes up and down, not engaging at all.

There are two rounds of worker placement: For the scientists, I never felt like there was real competition among slots. The only single-use spaces were for grabbing specific types of dinosaurs, but even then there aren't any differences among the dinosaurs in each category with regards to scoring/excitement levels. The other worker placement aspect has you placing workers on your own tableau, so it's more just an action allocation since there is no competition over spots. Why not just look at a game that uses this successfully, like Manhattan Project, that has a mix of common-area and personal tableau placement?

Additional, and it may seem extremely minor, but this was the retail version so all the dinosaurs were pink triceratops, which actually took away a bit of the engagement from making dinos. There's also some market-row stuff in the middle of every round, but thankfully it's mitigated a bit by having a rather wide variety of options available at each price level.

Just like Dead of Winter, I had high hopes going into this based on the theme/concept, and it was a bit of a letdown. Not horribly broken like DoW, but just "fine". I'd play again but would never want to add it to my collection. I almost feel like it's a game that should have been split into two halves, the first half designing the park and the second half dealing with events/disasters, like Galaxy Trucker only with dinosaurs. This would have made the game a bit less strategic, but it doesn't really stand out as a strategic game to begin with.

Next up was a game that I had doubts about going in, Hail Hydra. I'm happy to report that those doubts proved unfounded, and that this is actually a pretty good implementation of a mix of The Resistance with BSG. The only somewhat confusing part were when the powers of each hero were able to be used. Probably not an issue for experienced gamers, but I could see a need for reference cards if playing at a family gathering or any event with a lot of non-gamers. It also felt like it might be pretty easy for the Hydra agents, but I've said the same thing before on other hidden traitor games, so perhaps it gets harder once players are more intimately familiar with the systems of the game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I personally love Mare Nostrum, but I think that Kemet does a better job of forcing confrontation.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got to try both Lowlands and Nusfjord this weekend. While I enjoyed the puzzles going on in each, I can't foresee myself adding them to my collection. I have too many WP games as it is, and neither one really does enough to surpass things like Feast for Odin or Keyflower. For Lowlands though, it's the first time that I can recall a "Big Money" strategy actually working out.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got to try out Thunderstone Quest this evening, and while I feel it that it makes some improvements on the prior versions that I had played, it still suffers from a lot of problems inherent in deck-building games made by people who don't get why they are using that mechanism. There are still market-row elements, even within the shop, and there was no way to thin out your deck (it's possible there are cards in the set that we weren't playing with that would allow this, but I can't say for certain). I only won because of a lucky draw on the final "boss fight", and the entire thing just didn't feel very satisfying. Additionally, the inclusion of miniatures in the game didn't add anything to it, and as far as I could tell served no purpose (other than to likely sell a few extra copies on KS).

I'd play it over Legendary or Sentinels or a lot of other bad games, but it's not something that I'm particularly itching to try again.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The corruption mechanic is really neat. The only real problem with the expansion is that the corruption Lord is terrible and you should try and lose the card down the back of the couch.

The designer tried explaining it to me that the corruption lord is for "advanced players who want a challenge" but even that's bullshit because even under the most ideal conditions that will only happen 1 in 100 games, you're maxing out points at around 15 or so if I remember right. Not to mention that nowhere does it actually state that that lord is for experienced players, nor is there a way to guarantee that it won't end up in the hands of a newer player if your group is a mix.

You should also get rid of the card that makes you un-targetable, since there is no actual counter-play to it and it's basically an "I win" card if someone gets it early.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Also I'm still a little salty from a few years ago when I paid a slight premium at a con to play against said designer in a game of Waterdeep, with the winner getting to keep an autographed copy. He ended up giving up his seat to a kid that wanted to play. I'm *not* angry that he did that, as it was totally the right and cool thing to do, but I am angry because I wanted to beat him at his own broken-rear end game because I knew I loving could.

I wanted to do the same thing a few years later with the guy who designed Dead of Winter just to show him how bad his game was but that would have involved actually playing Dead of Winter again and that was just a bridge too far.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bottom Liner posted:

If either of these ever present themselves again I'll pay for your entry

I actually ended up winning the autographed copy of Lords, and the designer offered to hang out with us later on at the hotel bar, but I was fighting a cold that weekend. I might have taken him up on his offer to pick his brain some more, but the evening game I played was my first time playing Merchants and Marauders, which not only was taught by someone who barely knew how to play, but should really just be called "Play A Merchant loving Trust Me Because Starting As A Marauder Will Make You Literally Get Up And Take A Walk In Anger So You Don't Flip The Table" but I guess they maybe had trouble typesetting that to fit on the box.

Like, I have a pretty high tolerance for teaching styles and such, but if you're going to be teaching a game at a boardgame-specific Con that people are paying not only an entry fee for as well as paying a per/game fee for scheduled events, then you should know the rules well enough to teach as well as have enough time blocked off to play a whole game and not just the first half. I had another experience at the same Con a year or two later where I was accidentally resetting my coal production or something like that every turn in Nippon, and I was wondering how the hell people were building so much stuff until I paid attention to my GF's turn. I asked the guy running it for a clarification and he's like "oh wow you were resetting that? You're doing pretty good for such a huge handicap!" Thanks dumbass, you only watched me take my first few turns to make sure I was doing everything right but neglected to mention the glaring error I was making at the start of each one.

On the bright side we ended up getting Nippon for Christmas last year and I really enjoy it, and it's honestly not difficult to teach (easier than Panamax).

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

al-azad posted:

I don't know what a winning strategy looks like in DoW considering the game is so random.

As I recall, if you are the secret traitor, you just play normal until you have back-to-back turns then you turbofuck the colony to win. If you are not the traitor, you hope that there isn't a traitor in your game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Mugaaz posted:

Fiddly should be banned as a word. Every review now uses it as some vague nonspecific term to say I don't like this game without articulating why as some weird way of attacking something while simultaneously having a perfect defense because your non specific point can never be refuted. Some people use it when a game is complicated, or has too many tokens/counters, or has a lot of turn steps, or requires ability of rubbing 2 brain cells together, or has too many models, etc, etc. The word no longer has any specific meaning other than "didn't like".

I disagree. Fiddly is just a shorthand way of expressing an excess of mechanisms and upkeep tasks that are necessary for the progress of a game but provide no distinct strategic decision making opportunities. Dead of Winter is mildly fiddly, while Sentinels is much more troublesome in that department. That's not to say that all games that would carry that moniker are necessarily bad. Games like Dungeon Petz and Through The Ages are good despite their fiddly nature because they compensate with a more engaging gameplay between those bits. Dead of Winter is just boring throughout your turn.

Additional issues with DoW that haven't been mentioned:

Depending on player count, it can be a long time before it gets back to your turn, with no meaningful things to do in that time.

Tone-deaf writing that can place classic horror scenarios right next to dogs wielding sniper rifles. It says a lot about your game when Grave Robbers From Outer Space did something better than you.

The Crossroads system that's supposed to be a central point of the game is a failure on so many levels. Again, too much variety in tone and writing, the events don't actually trigger often enough, and when they do the consequences of each choice are read prior to making a decision, with most of them having a "nothing happens" option which totally negates the point of having a "difficult choice" type thing in your game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Looked a few pages back, so if it came up I'm an idiot.

Has anyone messed with Betrayal Legacy yet? The wife and I loved both Pandemic seasons, but neither one of us has ever tried vanilla betrayal. Is it something 2 extremely tired soon to be newborn havers would be able to play without losing all sense of what's going on and just giving up?

Or should we just stick to light stuff like codenames until the kid turns 25 or something?

I haven't played the Legacy version of Betrayal yet, but I don't plan on it and here's why: The trick with Pandemic is that they started with a fairly solid game at the core and built from there. Less so with Season 2, and it kinda showed in the gameplay that was overly-swingy at times. Part of why things like Seafall and Charterstone fizzled is because the core gameplay just wasn't solid. "Vanilla" Betrayal is something I've played far too many games of in the past, and it's just a horrible mess. It is absolutely a game that I can see why people fall in love with it when they first play it, but it simply doesn't hold up to repeated use. Is it possible that they fixed the massive amounts of issues in the Betrayal version? Sure. Is it likely? Absolutely not.

There's nothing wrong with Codenames, it's a wonderful and cool game. If you are looking for specific 2 player games with a little more strategy, or family games, or games with any number of friends, just ask for specific player counts and I'm sure the thread will offer lots of great solutions. Sadly, if you're looking for an "explore a spooky haunted house" type games, there aren't a whole lot of good alternatives. Maybe Mysterium might tick that box for you, might be worth checking out.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Miniature Market doing the first part of their Black Friday sale. So far nothing has really jumped out at me, however they have Pictomania for 10 dollars, and if you don't have that you probably should.

Edit: and Tragedy Looper for 11 dollars.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

SettingSun posted:

If anyone is a LCG fan they're discounting their packs quite a bit. Dunno what's happening with the Game of Thrones LCG but their packs are discounted 80% to 3.00 each.

I saw that but aren't those for the old edition of the game?

Edit: If not that is indeed a good deal. *gazes longingly over at my 3 core sets that will never get used because it didn't catch on with my GF*

Big McHuge fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Chubbs posted:

I remember hearing people talk about HOP! being a fun enough dexterity game with great components that is overpriced. It's currently $8 during this sale.

Reef for 20
Wasteland Express Delivery Service for 30
Cthulhu Wars Core Set for 90

Is Wasteland any good? I am interested in getting some kind of game that is Mad Max -esque in theme, but I didn't see any fanfare when it was released.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
You can absolutely use your own minis for Gloomhaven. As long as everyone at the table knows which mini is you, it doesn't matter if your Spellweaver looks exactly like the picture on the player board or not.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Countblanc posted:

The only meta-gaming that I'm truly sick of is "this person owns the game, therefore it makes sense to dogpile them." Worse yet is no one else buys games.

I solved this with Gloomhaven. Not only is it co-op, but it cut down on the number of other games I bought because I was too busy playing Gloomhaven.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i bought wasteland express delivery service because it was on sale and i dont know if its a good game but the insert the game comes with is loving awesome and all games that have a bunch of fiddly little tokens and poo poo should come with a solid way to organize all of that in the box(GLOOMHAVEN IM LOOKING AT YOU), it even includes instructions in the manual how to put it all back in and where things go oh man every game should do this

I haven't seen the WED insert, but for every good insert that holds all the pieces, you get a lovely one like Lords of Waterdeep, which seems great until the box gets bumped even slightly.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Finally got to play Terraforming Mars today for the first time. I expected it to be a middle of the road Euro style game based on some opinions that I read in here after it first came out. It was not an enjoyable experience. I bowed out 3/4 of the way through (after like 3 hours or so of playtime) because it was pointed out that I broke an action rule, and as it turns out I had been breaking it for several turns. I doubt I'll play again, because even if I had been playing correctly, the game is just an overall bad experience of pushing fiddly cubes around to play meaningless cards just to get a few more building symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

garthoneeye posted:

The rule has to be that you can only use action cards with the red arrow once a generation.

That is correct. I'm sure the teacher mentioned it during the rules, but I must have missed it. It's also not listed on the summary cards that I was referencing. Again, no fault but my own on the mistake, however at that point I was several turns into breaking the rules and it was easier for me to just pull out of the game rather than try to rewind or compensate in any manner.

Some of the other people in here are right, no one was using the on-board actions, everyone was focusing on buying and playing cards. That aspect might be the fault of the teacher, who emphasized the card play and just briefly mentioned the board actions.