Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm gonna suggest qwirkle for that. It's a definite step up from the basic board games people know, but it takes a familiar and comfortable form. There's also a travel-size version that comes in a pouch!

And you can use the tiles in it to play Skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Ooh, I'm always on the lookout for games that can be played with the games I already have. A Mind deck and some card holders should handle it fine. Looks fun, thanks!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The smaller sonar games work quite well, I haven't tried adapting them to real time, but I like the tense cat and mouse of turn based in Captain as well.

How is My City with three players? I want to try a campaign with my parents, who are Not Gamers. It seems simple enough for them, so is the player count good? Is the eternal game effected by not having a board altered?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I'm helping a friend move his poo poo and he's trying to get me to take his Pirates of the Spanish Main collection. Anyone have any word on this thing? The punch-out ships are charming, but what even ist?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I think I will. There's way more than a few packs of cards, and it's at least worth a try.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

What have I done.

The armada, it's so tiny.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

My grandfather's old desk, actually. Thick metal, cloth(linen?)-lined top, and a glass over that. A remarkable pain to move anywhere.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Funny. It's actually a set of two. One with a full set of drawers, the other with just the wide middle one. I'm cleaning the manydrawers desk before I wheel it in.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Have we found out yet what will be the stretch goals for the asmodee sale?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Is Dice Throne the one where it's just Sagrada but you're making a character sheet and then nothing happens?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Ah got it. Still not for me I think. Just kinda burnt out on Disney.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The funny thing is I really like Sagrada as a casual, multiplayer abstract. Roll Player just seemed to add more decisions without adding more interestingness.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

My group played two games back to back of Horrified! Universal Monsters.

It's a solid light co-op in the Pandemic vein. We got our asses kicked the first time fighting Dracula, the Wolfman, and Frankenstein plus Bride, and won the second time against the Frankensteins and the mummy. It's pretty cool that the monsters all have to be defeated in very different ways, while still revolving around collecting items of different sorts, and the items you don't need this time are still useful, because having items is essentially an HP pool.

Looks like Ravensburger put out a new set based on North American cryptids. Does anyone know if they screwed that one up the same way they screwed up the Villainous expansion that they put out after splitting with Prospero Hall?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Screw Meltwater, where's your game about making boys kiss?

Seriously though, congratulations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

taser rates posted:

Omega Centauri

This one.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Lucky for you it's false, since he actually is an embarrassing, bigoted shitbag.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Honestly, the best way to get into the hobby these days is probably the game section at Target. Move past the party games and the IPs(and even some of those are really good) and they've got a pretty solid selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

My group had a go at Voyages tonight! This is a recent Kickstarter that fulfilled very very quickly because it's a one-page print-and-play game. Not counting the rules, of course.

This is a multiplayer solitaire game wherein you each control a ship on a vast hex-based ocean. Every round three dice are rolled, and you pick one die result to be the speed at which your ship will move, one to be the vector along which your ship will travel, and the third to be the "Duty," which is a little crossword puzzle looking thing where you cross off the number you picked. You earn points from visiting islands, exploring uncharted waters, finding and selling various goods, fighting pirates, and various other whatnot.

People keep saying it was designed by Mr Roland Wright, but I don't think it's one of his works. For one thing, I like it better than the vast majority of those games, and for another, (it seems to me) the primary action in a roll and write game is rolling some dice, and either picking where to draw a thing, or picking which thing to cross out, and since the only part of it that really counts as that is the Duties, which uses only one third of the dice, and at most one eighth of the page space, I'd describe this more as a roll-and-move game.

If it's a roll-and-move game, it's the most interesting roll-and-move game I've ever played, And even if you do call it a roll-and-write game, it's certainly the most thematic roll-and-write game I've ever seen. This thing has elements of pickup and delivery, exploration, set collection, questing... and the system has the potential to be ridiculously flexible in what you can do with more than the three maps that were included in the Kickstarter.

If you want to play it, it should be available for online purchase in early 2022, and I heartily recommend it!