Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I don't care for City of Horror much because, for a very political game, you have very little resources with which to bargain. The central mechanics of the game are done better elsewhere. And the zombie theme is just kinda there-ish. One just has to accept that all zombie games are terrible (so play Last Night on Earth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Glazius posted:

Patchistory

How long did this game take? Stats say 2 to 4 hours and I just wanted to know how realistic that is, because drat, that's long.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

That's pretty much peak Betrayal in a nutshell. It's extremely hit or miss in delivering a thematic experience it promises. Don't play it expecting a balanced or fair fight.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Yeah pretty much. Random thematic experience generator runs counter to balanced, strategic, and deep mechanics.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I tried Core Worlds for the second time today. It's a deckbuilder with a very Race For the Galaxy like feel. The first time I played it, it was the base game only with no expansions. It felt okay-ish but was lacking something. This time I played with the all of the expansions combined and the game improved quite a bit. Galactic Orders is a must have expansion. The content it adds is all around great and really furthers to experience of the game. The second expansion, Revolution, was just so so. Advancements were a decent addition although I never bothered to buy them. Not enough of them came out and the only one I seriously considered was snagged before my turn. And then the Hero Tactics are strange, kinda fiddly, and ultimately felt inconsequential.

malkav11 posted:

Very much so. It has a few good ideas (the villagers each having a random dark secret; the big bad having specific monster spawns and such associated with it), but it's also kind of bland and random. It's a roll to move game, for starters, which I'm not sure is ever fun but certainly isn't here. You're getting most of your stuff from four decks that also contain generic negative encounters, and it's mostly just straight numerical bonuses to the four (very unevenly useful) main character stats. And if you want a cooperative experience, well, the game has a cooperative mode but it feels like an afterthought. The cards don't even reflect it in their text.

It might be better with the "advanced" villain mode on and maybe expansions, but I'd probably rather just play Eldritch Horror instead, myself. (Or Arkham, come to that.)

Oh boy. A Touch of Evil is my favorite guilty pleasure board game. I just love the theme, art direction, and copious amounts of gothic styled villains. It is literally Sleepy Hollow the Movie the Game. But even I would have to agree that the game is flawed out of the box. It doesn't scale well with the number of players. Competitive mode is arguably the most balanced, but no one plays that, and unfortunately Coop isn't designed well. Some of the base game villains are kinda "huh?" in their design. All in all, I just want to nurse it back to health with a heaping dose of house rules. It's like there's a potentially brilliant adventure game in there if FFP wasn't so wed to their silly dice fest tropes. There are a few expansions and they make the game a bit better with more flavorful and challenging villains and a bigger board to explore. You really need them to make the game more palatable which is a big investment to ask. Not recommended unless you love the theme.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

InShaneee posted:

Are there any particular ones you'd single out?

There are two big box expansions, Something Wicked and The Coast, that add a whole board each plus bunch of content (more heroes, more villains, etc). They are pretty comparable to each other but I like Something Wicked overall better. The Coast adds a small second town, Tidewater, that would be neat if it wasn't so annoying due to FFP design.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

echoMateria posted:

We played Core Worlds thrice now including the one this weekend, once only with the base and twice with the Galactic Orders. At end of all playthroughs the consensus was that it took too long and the decks weren't cycling fast enough in the 10 turn run of the game to make your buys worth the effort. Even with the extra draw powers and the one trash ability of the home world advancement and rare chances of colonizing the invaded planets to get rid of one grunt or snub.

I like the theme and the art but can't seem to be able run this game in a fashion that leaves most players satisfied after.

That was my impression with the base game, but not with the Galactic Orders expansion. You should be aiming to invade 1 world per round and buy 1 or 2 cards per round. If you take advantage of every trash opportunity, you should be breaking about even in deck size. The starter deck is like 16 cards so it cycles every two rounds-ish. The deck building aspect is more about point scoring at the end I guess. It's definitely not Dominion-like where you can draw up your entire deck every turn.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Tekopo posted:

Guess what Vlaada -related kickstarter stuff I just got in the mail? :q:

Deluxe Travel Blog with premium Euro coins?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I hope the OP gets an updated theme based on FFG's new art. It would be a shame for the new thread to be immediately dated :)

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

echoMateria posted:

You just need an artist to start printing money. There is always space for a new zombie game on Kickstarter.

Pretty much. All those poor starving artists in the world and they just don't realize the ticket to the easy life is right in the front of their face.

Coming soon. Killer Zombies and the Quest for the Magic Entrails.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Having backed the reistance xpacs (and many other disappointing projects), I think I'm done with any further board game kickstarters. It's just not worth it. It's like they all fall into one of two categories 1) a half baked idea that promises you the world and never delivers or is years late or 2) an above MSRP preorder system using you as a stepping block to get their product in stores. I think I can count of less than half a hand the number of kickstarters that had little to no issues.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I can't agree with the choice of Ascension over Dominion based on the criteria that was laid out. Ascension's rotating card offer has got to be more confusing with a constant slew of new choices compared to Dominion's static 10 card selection. Plus Dominion has decent and reliable standbys to purchase (i.e. silver) that grant some progress if you're completely unsure for your turn. Big money is a simple and easy first time strategy (albeit boring). Ascension has like 50+ different cards coming out. It's hard to know what's good and then try introducing the idea of common/uncommon/rare cards.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Bought my nephew Zooloretto for Christmas. The adults ended up playing a nasty cutthroat game of it at night. It was pretty :3

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Oh goodies. I finally caught up with the thread and find you are "discussing" the Trek MK game. I'm super excited :neckbeard: Don't ruin it for me.

I'm assuming it will be like Fleet Captains, an anachronistic mix of TOS and TNG. They mention the Borg in their description which aren't in NuTrek.

Huxley posted:

The Borg are clearly Norowas, for obvious reasons.

The Borg are obviously Voltare, a big gently caress off cube wandering around and wrecking your poo poo.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Just pretend it's mirror universe Trek and you fly around burning planets to the ground :v:

Broken Loose posted:

It's not actually made by Vlaada; it's made by a lovely dude who has released some of the biggest flops in recent memory using Vlaada's game as a base. Also, we have no idea how it's going to work if the Federation is playable given that Mage Knight is about pillaging, razing, and destroying.

No. No. It says Vlaada right there on the BGG page and those things are never wrong. He's list as the designer right there at the top. And I guess some Parks guy is like helping him or something. Probably just an intern.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Can anyone point me to or PM me a detailed spoiler-filled break down of how Risk Legacy work?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Regarding Star Trek: Frontiers, in all seriousness, is there somewhere stated that Vlaada had none or minimal input? His name will be on the box as a designer and he praised it in an interview. Parks is maybe the lead designer, but surely Vlaada was consulted and had input? I'm still excited and will remain optimistic in any case. I love trek and I love mage knight. And you got peanut butter in my chocolate.

Huxley posted:

This would also work but we'd need another iconic playable enemy. Dominion? I honestly never made it that far in DS9.

Also, there's no way this is any good, because there's no way the license holder for Trek lets them make a game where you can't play as the Federation, let alone a game where the Federation is the "enemy" of the players. No matter how cool that would be and how cleanly it makes the transition.

They're going to slap 1992 Patrick Stewart on the box art and we're going to be scanning Borg spots for information or something dumb. We're going to have four different colors of the NCC-1701D and all four starting decks will probably be the same.

It will obviously be re-themed appropriately some how. Maybe instead of move/attack/influence/healing you now have engineering/tactical/command/science. And enemies/locations are now planets with their own crisis that you can solve (i.e. combat) in various ways (some easier with diplomacy instead of tactical for example). And maybe you're a starship on a remote deep space mission exploring an unknown quadrant (hence the name Frontiers) with rampaging enemies as stand-ins for various dickhead alien-of-the-week adversaries. You're far away from federation space, so gently caress the prime directive. It worked out well for the Equinox.

Or yeah it might end up a box of crap too (Kinzia :argh:). But it will still a day 1 purchase for me :) I don't like to buy bad games that will never get played unless it's for an IP I love and then I consider it a cute collectible that just happens to intersect with my hobby of choice.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

That just says Vlaada won't make any more MK expansions because WizKids are dicks about a Polish translation of them. He might still work with them on other non-MK projects. It's also recent news. He may have worked on Frontiers before this kerfluffle.

No, I will continue to blissfully believe my lord and savoir Vlaada will deliver unto me the perfect Star Trek board game experience.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Sounds good. Stilled hyped. I originally thought units would be crew but maybe your hand of cards is your crew.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Foehammer posted:

I finally bought Mage Knight since no one here can shut up about it.

It's awesome. You will thank us later. Hope you have a big table.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Played Dark Moon twice. Blah. That is not the BSG experience you are looking for. I actually think the shortened play time hurts it.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

As someone who plans on playing this for the first time on Tuesday please make me second-guess my purchase, i.e. please go into detail about your play experience if you don't mind.

Sure! While it's fresh in my memory...I played two games, one 6-player game as a good guy and one 5-player game as a bad guy. I ended up winning both games but despite that, it didn't wow me and that seemed like the case for everyone else too. The most fun part of this game was trying to guess the equivalent BSG mechanic (oh that's just like the engine room and that's like a destination card).

Imagine if every character was Roslin (with out the drawback) and could always XO. Every crisis has +1 Jump Prep as part of it's pass condition. The game is locked to 4 jumps long BUT the jump prep required to advance is variable (and can be as little as 2). I was the starting player in one game and the entire game was half way over before I got a 2nd turn.

The whole dice instead of cards is pretty terrible. Each die is 4 out of 6 sides negative and 2 out of 6 sides positive. It turns every crisis skill checks into a glorified press your luck game. You roll your dice and HAVE to submit at least one. You can submit more if you roll well. If you roll badly, you have to hurt the check. And you can keep rolling so long as you have dice left. So sometimes, both humans and cylons, end up hurting their respective teams. I don't like this over BSG's card system because hand management brings a meatier and more satisfying breadth of choices. You are more in control and have to make more interesting decisions about saving cards for later or saving them for their cool effects.

The crisis deck throws free loyalty checks and admiral quarters at you every so often. All players draw 2 and pick 1 crisis at the end of their turn, so the loyalty check crisis is a super easy softball one to do. Part of the problem is loyalty checks are designed backwards. You ask to check someone's loyalty. If they agree, you can check their card and you pass the crisis (and get your free jump prep!). A human has no incentive to say no. The free brig attempts that come up make it harder for the cylons because it's hard to stay hidden for long and in conjunction with the loyalty checks, you can get nailed pretty fast. The brig votes don't even cost dice and are simple majority (unlike BSG where you have to spend cards and the cylons can fight back to a degree).

Of the 3 damageable systems (basically the BSG equivalent of your resources and Galactica damage tokens), one is obviously the best to attack and has a snowball effect the more it gets damaged. This is the life support system and its BSG equivalent is Sickbay. When your character gets fatigued, you can't help as much on skill checks and you look access to your special ability. You're also a poor XO target. Unlike BSG where you want to XO people in Sickbay to get out, here you have no such incentive. You may be the guy with the special ability to fix the shields better, but you're fatigued so you what's the point of XO'ing you? I was an infected and got fatigued early so despite being the optimal guy to repair the damage to the shields, I have no real leverage to fish for an XO.

I think the optimal play for the bad guys is to reveal on the first XO you get. If you're fatigued or quarantined, you should just reveal at first chance. There did not feel like there was much time to waste on playing the "undercover cylon" as the game can shoot by real quick. And this is where the game length is probably a detriment. Hanging around gives the humans jump prep and ends the game quicker. As a cylon you want the game to move slower. And your only real sabotage options are bluffing die rolls. Not very satisfying. And I never felt any palpable paranoia.

I can't think of a single thing this game did better than BSG other than it's shorter. It doesn't do the paranoia or satisfying scum hunt any better. The strategy decision elements are far more constrained. And it's definitely no better in terms of swingy :rolleyes: luck (it's probably worse).

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Sorry, I only speak BSG. I dunno how else to explain the game. It's like Diet BSG made with the worst artificial sweetner possible.

I saw the list of variants in the back of the manual. And while I appreciate a suggested list of variants, I feel like the base game should be in the ball park of fun and balanced as is. It was not. So I don't have much desire trying to "fix" the game when I'd rather just play BSG instead or a better tried and true hidden traitor game of shorter length if I don't have the time for BSG.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

QnoisX posted:

We had a game where the Infected player started out fatigued first thing and didn't get a chance to repair it, so he was limited to one die roll each crisis. He had to put in positive on a few just because that's what he rolled and he had to submit one and only one die.

This is exactly what I hate about it. You have to declare you are playing into a check BEFORE you roll die. Then you roll a die and are stuck with submitting at least one. The central mechanic of the game is essentially "Did you roll well?" Help and Sabotage is now entirely luck based. Generating paranoia and mistrust is now entirely luck based. And ultimately there really isn't much there to argue, bluff, and agonize over. While playing it, I was reminded of my masochistic experiences with Fortune and Glory.

Dark Moon is great for people who like dice games. I will give it that. But as a short traitor game, Resistance and ONW do a better job of distilling the experience.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't played Dark Moon, so this is based on my memories of BSG Express.

Declaring first and then rolling and having to submit negatives gives the Infected cover to roll and intentionally submit negatives.

Yep. That is how it is in Dark Moon. But as an infected, you have to roll too. So you might not have the option to submit negative and you are forced to help. This happened a few times. Your options are based on how well you roll.

Some people might like that kind of press your luck dice rolling style. I do not. I prefer a system where the randomization element occurs before hand and I know my contribution options ahead of time so as to feel a measure of control over the outcome of the skill check.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Why is bossmonster bad again?

It's random schlocky stuff with nerd bait graphic design and theme.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So what happened to all the bugged MM orders?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

BGG takes all people so of course the horrible ones always wind coalescing there. It's like a really bad Meetup group.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

I know a guy who insists that the robber making you lose cards in Catan is unfun so he never plays with it

:what: What happens on a 7 then? Maybe board games are not for him.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Why is stockpiling train cards an annoying strategy to everyone else?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I have an idea for a game called Combustible Pups. One card features a cute puppy strapped to a pile of dynamite. And you try not to draw that card from a shared pile in the middle. Maybe I should submit it? My entire family thought it was hilarious and that you could play it again and again for hours on end.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Okay, so Exploding Cthulhu Zombies You have a rectangular board with spaces all along the outside that form a spiral that leads to the end space. You roll a d6 to move your intricately detailed miniature. The space you land on tells you which card deck to draw from, zombies or cthulhu. But watch out! You might draw an exploding card which means you're knocked backed 2d6 spaces and have to discard 1d6 cards worth of equipment and spells. Only the most skilled players will avoid drawing that card. After you're done fighting some zombies or elder gods by rolling dice according to your fight and spell stats, you can trade with all the other players for resources to build your kingdom. But watch out! One of them is a traitor. They may pass you an infection card which means you're now on the traitorous Werewolf team. Once one player gets to the end space, they can fight Zombified Cthulhu and seize the Fedora of Command. But watch out! You need to roll double sixes to dodge his special attack which sends you back to the starting space. Player elimination is too good for those who dare to challenge Cthulhu.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Just played Spectre Ops. Is this considered a good game? Not sure what to think.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The End posted:

What's your take on it? Better to hear it fresh before consulting the crowd

I think I liked it. Game play was like Letters from White Chapel but with special bullshit powers and a Shadowrun like theme. Some characters and powers are better than others so there's variability for good and bad. Like you could purposefully handicap yourself against an inexperienced team.

White Chapel seems solid. So it's a question of is there a semblance of balance with that extra veneer of wacky powers added or is it pretty impossible with certain combos? Seemed really hard for the hunted guy. He played the Cobra which IMHO sucks.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I like both ONUW and Avalon/Resistance. A good/bad round of ONUW can be luck dependent on the setup, but its over in like 8 minutes anyways. What ONUW does better than Avalon is foster discussion at the table with the natural flow of deduction and a ticking clock providing time pressure. Most if not all characters know something and can contribute. Avalon, with the bad guys knowing everything and only 1 good guy knowing some stuff, takes much longer to get going. The mechanics discourage the bad guys and merlin from talking. And the remainder of the good guys have no info to even start the conversation. It can be fustrating, especially when new players don't understand the strategy and just vote yes to any and all missions :cripes:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

Also Avalon doesn't have player elimination which I feel helps keep everyone engaged through the whole game which is a big positive for "social" sorts of games.

ONUW doesn't have player elimination either. :confused:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

My summary of Codenames.

:ninja: Deadly, three
:v: Missile! Final answer!
:ninja: *picks up the gray tile*
:mad: WTF

And then this gem...

:ninja: Pepper, two
:v: Let's see. Ground. Mint. I'm going to start with Mint, final answer!
:ninja: poo poo, poo poo poo poo! *picks up the black tile*
:mad: Are you even looking at other words on the table?!

It was awesome. Would again.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

After the last Resistance expansion Kickstarter, how does IBC have any remaining good will among hobbyists?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

How that does that make any sense? WizKids screws up Tezla's producion and gets a dozen angry threads on BGG and lot of people holding off from buying it. IBC basically does the same with their kickstarter and is rewarded with another ridiculously successful kickstarter? :psylon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Thank you. I thought I was just missing something when I didn't like this game and couldn't find anyone else who was critical of it.

I have to find something to replace Dark Moon with on this CSI order before it ships :cry: