Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
FFG printed Through the Desert and Ingenious, Tekopo. Come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

What are some good games with an auction mechanic?

Neue Heimat. Nothing but auctions, it's vicious, and you can win a round without being able to score any points other than the money you have in your hand.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Turns out Tigris is going to have plastic in it after all

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5295

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Azran posted:

What's the deal with Cosmic Encounter? I see it gets some bad rep here but the SU&SD guys love it.

It is an older design that is influential and polarizing. Shared wins are common and game length can vary wildly. It is not particularly strategic, as there are multiple aspects of the game outside of your control. The asymmetrical powers make no attempt to be balanced. Your strength in the game is primarily determined by your power and starting hand. There are a lot of expansions. That's the deal.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I can't speak for the goals of Labyrinth because I haven't read about them (and I've only played it once) but the designers of TS are also very up-front about the fact that TS is a game first: "Twilight Struggle does not reach beyond its means. Wherever there were compromises to make between realism and playability, we sided with playability. [...]Twilight Struggle basically accepts all of the internal logic of the Cold War as true—even those parts of it that are demonstrably false."

Siding with playability is something designers should always do in a game - if you're making a "conflict simulation" or whatever, go nuts, I guess.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Sloober posted:

But how much does the box weigh? Thanks

I have them all in one box and it weighs 7lb 3oz, hope this helps.

Acolyte! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 4, 2015

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
In The Downfall of Pompeii, the first part of the game involves placing pieces on the board while the second part is evacuating those pieces post-eruption.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
One of the neutrals also wins by themselves if they die first, so there's that.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Pax Porfiriana itself is a simple game; the way the rules are presented are not, and the cards are a mess. If you can learn it, you can teach it to other people easily. The game is a struggle to set up a tableau so that at the right time you can make sure that the right type of victory points is what determines who wins. There is a lot of "take that" cardplay, so that's more of a stumbling block for most people who will encounter it. I would say it's a medium game, pushing on medium-light, dressed up like medium-heavy.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Echophonic posted:

I tried put Mission: Red Planet and I'd say it's pretty much the good version of Cosmic Encounter.

Mission: Red Planet is more of a French take on El Grande. It's in space, like you said, but that's about where things end. I get that there was a lot of Cosmic Encounter talk in the thread, but to say Mission Red Planet is a "good version of Cosmic Encounter" isn't helpful to anyone when they are nothing alike.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Ojetor posted:

Please do not post disturbing filth like this in the thread.

A friendly reminder to everyone: shelve your games vertically. Namaste.

I, too, like warped boards.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Somberbrero posted:

Timeline is totally fine with some small caveats, but I prefer Chronology when it comes to trivia games.

What's the difference? I got a thrift copy of Chronology in an exchange in 2014 and I still haven't touched it.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Early usage was for Monopoly-derivatives and games that were entirely luck based. Then it morphed a bit into "games you would have thought were really cool when you were a dumb teen" and now Scyther's as close as anyone else.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

This is almost definitely because of what they pulled with Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization. You can only get it from EGG direct if you're a store. My local store would love to sell it because they could move a bunch of copies to people who loved the first one, but they can't use a distributor they have an existing relationship with. EGG cut the distributors out of what would be a lucrative title, and may have done it/be doing it with other titles, so why should the distributors carry their other stock?

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
They've adapted Cosmic Encounter into a Game of Thrones game called The Iron Throne. You put crowns on characters instead of ships on planets. Who wanted this?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/22/the-iron-throne/

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I hear good things about Bottle Imp- not like you can actually buy it anywhere these days, though.

You can order it direct from the designer. He still had 50 copies left around a month ago. I bought two for 42 EUR total, shipped.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
My understanding is that the youngest player/oldest player goes first usually happens in games where there is an advantage/disadvantage to going first. Not that older people are going to be better at the game, but that's the premise at play.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

S.J. posted:

Do we know what he's doing with them?

He's the CEO of Asmodee North America.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
What stuck out for me in that post is that the first line is incorrect - John Carmack said that. Shameful.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Crackbone posted:

Funny part is Asmodee buying Lookout/Mayfair means those games will have a higher discount online than they do now - Mayfair had a 10% under msrp max, Asmodee 's is 15%.

Even better, it's 20%.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Bottom Liner posted:

not surprising, and shout out to the 1 abstract fan

Hello, friends. I wish I were better at them.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Neue Heimat is getting a Kickstarted reprint from Capstone Games as The Estates. It is a very good auction game and you should check it out.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Merauder posted:

Finally picked up Teotihuacan, got it learned tonight and am playing it tomorrow with my group. Been trying to get a game of this in for 6+ months including four major conventions (Origins, Gen Con, BGG, PAX U) and it just never worked out, so my hype levels are probably a little abnormally high, but I'll be honest, the rules on the surface have me super pumped and I have a good feeling it's going to be a great fit with my group.

Anyone who has played it, anything I should keep an eye out for in terms of rules or things overlooked?

The biggest things we kept forgetting:

When you ascend, advance on the Avenue of the Dead.
If you're playing with 3, make sure you set the fourth color's locations at the beginning of every round.
Getting a tech gets you an advancement on the appropriate track!

They aren't really hidden in any way, it's just that we tended to forget them because there's so many other things to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

zimbomonkey posted:

Has anyone seen a copy of the King's Dilemma in the wild? I've been looking everywhere for this game and it's nowhere to be found. Not even "find it at exorbitant prices on ebay" just "completely not available in english at all." I've never come across something no amount of money can buy and honestly? I don't like it.

Don't do anything TOO foolish, a reprint is hitting very soon.