Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Magnetic North posted:

Woo James Ernest . If you really liked Kill Doctor Lucky, have you looked at Get Lucky? It's a card game version of KDL but simplified and lightened up.

Thanks for the write-up! I ordered the game immediately after reading your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Anniversary posted:

Does anyone in this thread have a write up for Sentinels of the Multiverse. I'm tentatively curious about the fact that it's a many v AI it but feel like all I've heard is mixed things.

You will hear a lot of complaints about Sentinels along the lines of "there are very few choices to make" - maybe those people just need to try using a different hero? Some of the heroes are dead simple; some, not so much.

You will hear a lot of complaints about Sentinels being "too random". This is true - with some heroes. Someone like the Wraith has Tutor cards, so she gets to look through her own deck; and she gets to manipulate the villain deck. Plus she has a silly amount of card draw, so you'll end up with half of your deck in your hand.

You will hear a lot of complaints about Sentinels involving too much bookkeeping, with all the counters and such. This is very true; this is also why you should just play the app instead.

You will hear a lot of complaints about Sentinels having bad art. I can't help you there. At least it's better than Munchkin.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

The Sentinels app is now out on Steam, according to the Handelabra blog. Which means that now it's out on PC, iOS, and Android. I'm probably not going to try the Steam version, but I'm assuming that it's the same thing as the Android version, which handles all the fiddly bits for you, but limits you to the base set, which contains 56 heroes I appreciate having on my team, but 0 that I want to play myself.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I've never played Tash Kalar. I watched a bit of a Rahdo video, thought I had a decent enough handle on the game.

...am I supposed to memorize every single card in all of the decks? In the physical game, isn't there an option to play with two identical decks? Why is that not an option at BGA?

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Star Realms as our opener, two copies so it could play 3.

For 3-player Star Realms, I just use one box and I sleeved some playing cards for the third starting hand - diamonds for money and clubs for punches. The Trade Row gets a little crowded, but if you don't have (or don't want to bring) a second copy, it seems to work alright.

Echophonic posted:

Red7 is as great as the thread's been saying. Hits that quick, random, take that sort of gameplay that Fluxx and Munchkin try to do, but this game actually ends because you don't draw cards and people are actually eliminated. Much like LL, being knocked out isn't too bad, because you're back in less than 5 minutes.

Red7 is a whole lot better if you play with the advanced rules - less random, more thinky - but it also takes longer. Especially if you're keeping score.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

In the time that it would take someone to read all of this discussion about Hanabi, they could just head over to BGA and play several hands of Hanabi.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I played my first game of Paperback tonight. Word games are a whole lot harder in person. I watched the Rahdo video beforehand, and I was yelling at my screen what words he should have been making, but when I was playing the game myself, I was making just as many mistakes.

Neat game, though. I would immediately go out and buy a copy for myself, but (a) you have to order it from the publisher; ie, no FLGS or Amazon Prime, and (b) they want $30 for it. I mean, it's neat and all, but it's still just a card game.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Coup with 10 players takes about twice as much time as Coup with 6, which still isn't much time at all.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

1) Anything to be aware of with the following games:
Merchants and Marauders

Ignore the second half of the title of the game; if you do anything remotely marauder-like, you'll enjoy a short-term gain, but you'll eventually be chased down by an enormous Navy ship that will promptly murder you.

Actually, just don't play that game; it's long and boring. Everything important depends on how lucky your dice are. It's... like Arkham Horror, except not co-op.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Morpheus posted:

This is kind of a silly thing to get annoyed by, but I really dislike it when game boxes don't account for card sleeves. I like sleeving poo poo, but some games have boxes that are pretty much airtight for little to no reason - like, they have plastic inserts that take up all the additional space (that, I guess, I could throw away, but then I'd just have a bunch of cards and bits floating around the box). Sushi Go is one such game I want to sleeve, but there is no room to. King of New York, I'd like to sleeve, but the card well in the insert is tapered as it goes down, so while sleeved cards will fit at the top, they get kind of cramped at the bottom of the deck.

Then there are games like Pandemic Contagion, where there is barely enough room to fit everything in the box regularly, much less with sleeves. I feel like I'm playing Tetris every time I put the game away.

Damnit game makers, accommodate my crippling need to protect and organize my poo poo.

When I sleeved Star Realms, I bought a deck box for it. But I'm too cheap to buy a box for every game I sleeve, so I just put them back in the original box, and keep it closed with a rubber band. It's ugly, but it works.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Even people who hate Coup will play Coup.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Gimnbo posted:

I won't (play Coup). :colbert:

I'll watch, though.

People are walking in, and you want something short. What do you play?
You have 5 people. What do you play?
You have 9 or 10 people, but don't want to split into two groups, and don't feel like playing Werewolf or Telestrations or whatnot. What do you play?
You have 15 minutes on your hands. What do you play?
It's the end of the night, and you don't feel like thinking very hard, but you also don't want to go home yet. What do you play?
Multiple people in your group enjoy Coup, want to play Coup, and are asking to play Coup, and what the hell, it's short. What do you play?

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Dominion: I wish that Big Money weren't always available as a "pretty good" strategy. Every time I play Dominion, I want to buy those fancy action cards, and try my hand at building an engine; but every time I attempt any strategy other than Big Money, I get crushed mercilessly. So I revert to buying Silvers, Golds, Provinces, and maybe a draw or two. And I feel slightly guilty for doing so. But there's so much negative reinforcement involved in trying a new strategy.

Sentinels: I got a chance to try Captain Cosmic today. I'm starting to realize that there are certain characters that I just don't want to use in mixed company. In a solo game, where I can control all of the players, I'm sure he's fantastic.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

Seattle, no questions asked

I'm going to go ahead and ask a question anyway: what makes Seattle so great?

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Bubble-T posted:

I've never played the physical version but I can only imagine how unsatisfying it is without the app doing everything for you and providing explosion sounds to signify that yes, mindlessly playing your entire hand did something.

God gave you a mouth so you could generate your own explosion sounds.

I just got Paperback and tried the solo mode. The people who are complaining that it's too easy are just trying too hard. :colbert:

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Rutibex posted:

I hope you're a pedophile because what you are describing is Tanto Cuore :v: It is basically a exact Dominion clone; but with a rotating line of super cards in addition to the normal "kingdom"

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65282/tanto-cuore

Why do functionally different cards have very similar, but different, artwork? What is this, Highlights: the deck-builder?

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

deadly_pudding posted:

Special report!

Our group's AP guy even gets AP in King of New York :v:

Hey, there's a lot going on. "I could get points, I could get hearts, I could punch other people, I could smash this hospital, I could try to get the Supastar! card..."

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Could you play Machi Koro with ten random stacks of cards instead of a market row?

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Sell Sentinels of the Multiverse if you want, but check the video game out first. Steam, Android, IOS. I like it better solo, anyway. Because I don't have any friends in most co-op games, if your partners are inexperienced, you can play better and pick up the slack. That doesn't work as well when your friends all have different decks and different jobs. Sure, you can quarterback the entire game for them, but then you might as well just be playing solo.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Why does the Sheriff have to pay a penalty if he searches a legal bag? In fact, why are there penalties at all? Why can't it just be something like "The Sheriff must search exactly one bag each round. If the player whose bag gets searched is caught lying, then the Sheriff gets to keep and score ALL of the contents of that bag."

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Glazius posted:

Second game: Machi Koro + Harbor. After the last game dealt out 10 buildings 9 of which were 3 coins or greater, I decide hell with it and put all 26 out. I think about two-thirds of that game was analysis paralysis so I'm thinking of going back to the 10. But I'd kind of like to have more 1-coin or at least early-game buildings out for purchase. Any suggestions.

I still wonder if Machi Koro wouldn't work better with a kingdom of 10 random stacks of buildings, with a stack or two of basic 2-cost cards so you can always have something to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

Hra Mormo posted:

Psh, you're riding the munchkin of saddles. What you need is.. gently caress, what's a terrible game that gets good with the expansion so I can make a joke about those weird foam diapers bikers wear to protect their scrotums?

Ooh, I know this one! Eminent Domain!