Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Played Le Havre and Hansa Teutonica for the first time over the weekend.

Le Havre seems to have more interaction than Agricola and penalties for not feeding you crew are not as dire as Agricola. Also, I do like how everyone shares the cards instead of what you have in your hand. For right now I do prefer Le Havre over Agricola; however, I ma be biased since I'm bad at Agricola.

Hansa Teutonica was a pretty solid euro. You have a few choices to make each turn and there does seem to be a balance between making the networks between trade routes and trying to upgrade your actions. This is a zero luck euro so it may not be for everyone. It took me a while to figure our how all of the parts came together and what do even do. It was too late though since the winner made a huge network and the game was over. Lots of competition and interaction in this one. Also, the mechanics seem to encourage blocking other people where it takes a few plays on other games to establish this skill.

I'd play it again.You are pushing a a lot of cubes around though. It's not as bad as El Grande in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bubble-T posted:

You're answering your own questions here, you recognise that right? :P Also if everyone managed to fill their fields with their desired animal type that suggests you were all playing too nice.

CoB is the most popular "step up" from Carcassonne, TTR or Settlers of Catan (and I suspect the hex tiles and dice rolling remind people of Settlers in a good way). It's not rated highly for its ability to compete with Terra Mystica on depth.

I see a similar reaction from people who play 7 Wonders, finish the drafting and go "that's it??". Well, yeah. Most collections need some accessible strategy games and the best, most flexible, most accessible ones get rated very highly.

Le Havre has two major drawbacks compared to Agricola - it's harder to get to the table due to length, and there's less obvious game-to-game variation (this could be a positive too but at this point I get the feeling people who play Agricola over Caverna value the randomness of occupation cards highly). I like it a lot more but wish I could play it more often, especially with 3 players.

I'll be curious how much my opinion will change after many plays. Next up we'll tackle Caverna since a friend bought both of them.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

FFG is definitely on the Kinzia team with Blue Moon legends (how is that?) and Age of war as well.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

In my experience, playing the game physically and then going digital to get a quick fix is preferable. When I've done digital first, it has always just made me not play the game, like T&E. It just doesn't feel the same. However, I'm glad there are ports because there are games that I've played physically that I don't have access to any more like Caylus that have good ports for a quick game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Ravensburger has a whole line of games for children:

http://www.ravensburger.com/us/shop/games/children-s-games/index.html

I think the BGG has a decent list of games as well for kids; however, most of them are European.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 16, 2014

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Now with Pop-o-Matic(r) dice!

e: somebody mail this thread to yourself before Steve Jackson reads it

It really has to be collectible. Maybe skin it with Monster High or something.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

plus the artwork was going to be a big hurdle.

Didn't stop Ascension or Sentinels of the Multiverse.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Just slam Navajo Wars on the table and walk away.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Speaking of ...

Playing Tash kalar right now...

Other player is in deep thought so decided to check the thread.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 21, 2014

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Regarding Tash Khalar, how high the skill ceiling is? I've only played a couple of times, but for the life of me I cannot imagine being able to disrupt my oponent enough to prevent a summoning, especially with the help of a flare.

After a few plays you'll get the idea how the patterns are arranged. You can just simply summon something to break a potential pattern. Since this is tactical you will have to react on a turn by tun basis.

Also, playing each school many times will help you set up more and figure out what their strengths are and that will allow you to set up some combos.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

It's rather easy to not cheat in Hanabi. However, the game's manual does say you can adjust table talk to how you want but in my playing if there was just a little table talk we would get 25 every time. It's definitely not a game for everyone. If you can't handle someone in a co-op setting making what you perceive as a "stupid move" Hanabi might infuriate you.

When we play there is 0 table talk and we only say the minimum required things such as "you have 3 ones (points to them)" or "you have one five(points to it". After a while you can try to lead in a way that most people can understand and score like 18-21 consistently.

However, Hanabi is not for everyone due to the fact that it requires a good working memory and that mental skill can be challenging for some.

The last game I played in 2pl was a near disaster when I had 5 fives in my hand. Ended up getting an 18 but it was after making some hard decisions on discarding.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

If you are afraid of direct conflict then do not buy Dominant Species. After playing a full game of Le Havre I said to myself for a game of that length I would rather play Dominant Species.

The game can be brutal at times but you can always come back with a bit of planning and cunning. Love playing it and already have 2-3 games of it lined up for this weekend.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

OmegaGoo posted:

Alright folks, it's New Year's Eve and I have been tasked with picking up games for 8-10 people.

I already have the following:

Dixit
The Resistance: Avalon
An extra table for a second game.

Any other recommendations that aren't Print 'n' Plays or CAH?

Telestratons

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Over the long New Year's weekend I played 3 games of Mage Knight (opening scenario, full conquest, and druid nights, 3 players). GF and I were new and my friend was teaching us the game. The game really scratched an itch I didn't know I had in gaming. The game flow moves really well even though there are a lot of moving parts. The concepts were pretty accessible; however, the natural language of the rulebook might turn off people who are not used to it. However, we didn't get many rules wrong, which was good.

The full conquest was a 10 hr game; however, it went by so quickly I didn't care. The last game we played was under 4 hours since we were able to play faster and understand all of the rules more clearly. It reminded me of learning Dominant Species. Our first game was like 6-7 hours but now we can play a 3 player game with all 6 species in about 3-4 hours. I imagine the next game we play will be about 3 hours.

It's an incredible, engaging, and fluid adventure deckbuilder and we can't wait to get it on the table again. The game might not be for you if puzzles and constant arithmetic is something you don't feel like dealing with for a few hours.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Mage Knight is one of those games I'd like to get on the table more often, but it's a game that really suffers because one of our regulars gets real bad AP. Deck-building as an analog for leveling up is a really good mechanic, though, and it's really satisfying to curate your hand for a couple turns sitting outside one of the Cities until you have all the cards you want in there and just nuke the place to the ground in one move with your magic.

I agree on the AP. You have to really be flexible in the game.We had turns that lasted 30 minutes but to be fair it was our 2nd game and we went on a full conquest. However, during the druid nights, it went much faster. One thing that we had to keep in mind to make the game play faster is once your turn is over you better just be planning for your next turn so you can get it done in a timely manner. The difference in game speed in the 3rd game was really noticeable.

Also, I did curate my hand before my last druid incantation so I could use all of my magic and cards to blow up fire dragons. It was awesome.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 5, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah. Per the manual:

REVERTING
1. Unless you agree otherwise (not recommended), players may
take back any actions and decisions they make during their
turn. It is faster to playout your turn and change your mind than
to attempt to plan everything in your head.

2. You cannot revert to a moment prior to any new information
being revealed (a map tile, enemy token, or card), a die rolled
or another player reacting speci´ cally to the player’s actions
(usually in Player vs. Player combat).
a. Once this happens, all decisions, moves, played cards, used
Skills and Unit abilities, spent mana etc. have to remain
exactly as they were.

I had a lot of turns just playing cards in various combos to figure out how to maximize my turn.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

One thing about Caylus that people don't seem to mention is how vibrant the colors are on the board. It stands out among the old world euro aesthetic.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Over the weekend I played catastrophe on a 15+ cube hex. It was glorious.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I do like cooking with Matt though. However, the best game meal is chili. People can just get up and refill a bowl while the others are taking their turns.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Teaching is hard, no matter what it is. Maybe before you introduce a game to a group try going through your presentation at home before you just go unprepared at game night.

I know I made a huge mistake when teaching Dominant Species I forgot about mentioning final scoring until the end. That didn't go over well.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 14, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Look, I don't dislike them as people, but when a job becomes obsolete, it's not up to the consumers to retard their practices so that others can stay in business. I feel the same about them as I would about milkmen when refrigeration was introduced. Do you feel sorry for Gamestop owners now that downloadable games are more popular? If you really want, you can just buy the game from the developer and then donate an extra percentage of that to your local gaming store.

People still get together to play games at your local game store. Gamestop is primarily a used game and pre order retailer.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 14, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

The North Carolina Triangle area is a big area for gamers. Since we have tech/bio-tech, duke, UNC, and NC state here it lends itself well to a good player base for things other than collectibles. One of the stores here is pretty much about wargaming and the owner supposedly runs one of the biggest ASL e-commerce sites. Definitely the only store I've ever been to that all of the games were separated into time periods. For an area of its size, the Triangle has a ton of board gaming at local stores or meetups.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm not sure if it's in the triangle, but some of the best gaming stores I've been to have been in NC. It helps to have a ton of soldiers around. Nobody spends like a soldier.

What cities? Most of the military stuff is on the coast. The triangle is Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Arnm616 posted:

I am also in the Triangle, what shops host good game nights? Most of the stores I have found (Game Theory, Event Horizon) seem to mostly do M:tG or Warhammer but not much board gaming.

Game Theory has adult board game night on Tuesday. Atomic Empire has theirs on Monday. Gamer's Armory i think is on Wednesday.

In general , just don't go on Friday nights because that's where the stores make their magic money. If you're into RPGs and stuff they all also have specific nights for those.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

It really boils down to the management of the store. I've been to some stores that really suppress that poo poo and some that let it go hogwild and it's usually because the managers are either a part of the problem or they want to create an environment for everyone.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I know in my area I'm constantly getting meetup requests for a variety of gaming groups. There are definitely no shortage of them.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

The Narrator posted:

Dungeon Petz is yet to arrive, but drat I'm excited. After having read over the rules a few times recently, I feel fairly confident when it comes to teaching the game. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to emphasise when teaching/anything I may miss?

Make sure you read the bios of every pet you introduce at the beginning of the round so you will feel like poo poo when they die from disease or get rendered for 1 food if they aren't sold.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Jedit posted:

You can't turtle to victory as the win conditions are conquests. The important part of the story is that the players hadn't seen a game end before. These two facts are not unrelated.

My old high school Risk strategy was staying up later than everyone else so when the game ended at 3-4 am I was the victor since my cognitive ability was still intact (or still awake). So glad we moved on to better games.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Azran posted:

a couple of them were annoyed at the idea of not being able to eliminate the only black individual in our group first every single game.

What? Please explain and also do not play Werewolf with them or they'll be lynching him first.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Reminder that some countries probably have not gone thought a civil rights movement. There is a reason FIFA has to tell fans to not be racist.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I played Caverna for the first time over the weekend and compared to playing a lot of Agricola it was an easy transition. There are a lot more options and I felt like I needed to balance both the farm and the mines while still going on adventures. It is definitely easier to feed your family. I think the traumatic experiences I've had previously in Agricola made me build a decent food engine early so my dwarves won't suffer.

One main advantage(in a casual setting), in my opinion, it has over Agricola is not having any cards. If you just want to play the game casually then you can be more comfortable playing Caverna since everything is in front of you. With Agricola, if you don't know all the cards or people in your group go over every card and such, the people who don't play as much or do their homework with cards might not have as good a time. This also applies to people who don't like drafting games.

Both games can definitely exist in your collection. Agricola(with a draft in the beginning) is a more competitive game I think.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Rutibex posted:

You can play Agricola without the cards. It's called "family mode" you just flip over the board and it has different spaces for playing that way. :eng101:

:twisted: :getin:

We don't want to play a simplified version. It's really just a matter of taste on the cards. I would rather draft but people don't want to spend the time to do that in our group.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

EBag posted:

Give each player 10 and discard down to 7. Or, if you want a slightly easier game to start try dealing 7 and discard down to 5.

We've done that and it helped in general. Agricola is a fine game but lately I rather play some of the other games we have.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I am now getting excited for my pending Mage Knight game this weekend. Druid Nights is a fun scenario.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

After a few plays in Mage Knight, we just use the rulebook's back page for combat ref and the info cards for sites if we forget anything. I think the last rule I missed was that the lights are on at cities all the time so you can park next to it and see what you are going to fight. There are a ton of rules but games are long enough so you will get them repeated enough to stick in memory.

I do need to reread the faq to see if there are any glaring mistakes we've been making.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Go RV! posted:

Awesome, much appreciated. Is Everfrost a normal Vlaada "Buy this when you've mastered the normal game" expansion, or is it just another deck to play?

In my experience, it's another deck to play but with the new frozen mechanic. It's about as quirky as the green deck.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Azran posted:

I've never played Descent or Talisman or any kind of game in that genre. What would be a good "dungeon crawler/fantasy SWAT" game? Those D&D ones?

Maybe Mice and Mystics?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Multiplayer solitaire games kind of have issues but I think some of my favorite games ever have been criticized as multi-player solitaire. Dominion with certain kingdoms, Race for the Galaxy, Castles of Burgundy, Galaxy Trucker, etc. I think I enjoy games that require optimizing an engine within a random context

The more I've been playing Castles of Burgundy I've been experimenting on blocking tiles and it's worked out pretty well. I just have to get my poo poo settled early and just start taking certain tiles like Castles or particular knowledge tiles. Usually, I can find use for them or just throw them away. It's not optimal for your board at the time, since you want to make every action count. But it can really put the others off big time if you do it right. It's defiantly the hardest decision for me to make in the game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Sorry but that's amazing thematically.

We were playing Virgin Queen and the host wanted to put on some music so we had to figure out 1) what musical period Virgin Queen took place in (it's Baroque) 2) Who were some Baroque composers we could play.

You probably just want to listen to some John Dowland's music since that's in the same period. Most of the renaissance music is scared. The big time composer of the era was definitely Palestrina. However, Carlo Gesualdo is getting his due now.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I said this on an earlier version of the thread but using Shining Force I and II incidental music for battles, etc, really worked well in Mice and Mystics. I just used like a sound board and let it go.