Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MildManeredManikin posted:

Man I love that people can pretty much deal with any theme that isn't anime, but for some reason that one touches a nerve.

At my game store it's pretty disgusting to see the teens play their CCGs with anime children in bikinis. From my experience it gravitates to the hyper sexualized pre/during pubescent look. Which, surprise, is what I saw a lot of in Akihabara a few months ago. Some of the card sleeves I saw over there were really terrible, and there were walls of them. That kind of stuff really gets people to not like anime, especially in games.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

To be fari this all looks like "giant impractical robots defeat monsters with friendship" anime and not "masturbating to high schoolers" anime

Yeah. It was more of the response to the post and why some people aren't into anime themes because of certain associations. Probably should have made that clearer.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I think I would have some sort of panic attack playing Kanban since I went to school studying that poo poo at a mathematical level. I was graded on how well I performed on some factory just in time simulations that are probably like the board game. It was not fun for me.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

El Grande is pretty good but it's about as dry as Castles of Burgundy imo. There is going to be a big, new release of El Grande though soon. If you are about to crack open Puerto Rico then take a look at Caylus as well. Those two games summed up my 2006.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Played Pandemic: On the brink yesterday as the bio-terrorist and it was pretty good. That character throws such a huge mess in already heavily quarterbacked scenario that you can really just break down their gameplay. Unfortunately, they decided to cure purples early so I had to plan my movement by destroying research stations, which killed their tempo a lot. They ended up winning on the last turn; however, we forgot to reshuffle cards after an epidemic so I contend that I could have won possibly by causing more purple outbreaks.

It's a solid expansion and if I bought the game I would get this one immediately since it seemed to counter a lot of people's issues with quarterbacking. Just let the person who doesn't really talk about the strategy be the terrorist. If only one person does all of the talking then maybe play a different game. We haven't tried the other game modes but I dig being a bio terrorist.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

If only one person does the talking, make them the bioterrorist. If you have two quiet people and two talkers, then you're hosed.

Yeah that is also true. In our group it's usually one quiet person.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's fast food

The scent of your local game store.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Somehow during the little conquest we didn't pull any mage tower tiles. We'll probably look at the boards next time to make sure we don't omit one when we do the set up.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Starlit Citadel is fine. They are pretty objective and clear on what they are presenting and is definitely for the general market. It's good to show someone their reviews if they want a short, concise review and impressions of a game. Sometimes, I don't need to be entertained by a video review, I just want a nice video that was shot with a decent camera in a well lit area showing all of the bits and basic ideas behind the game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Are you looking up strategies online for your games? You can't assume other players are doing the same. If that's the case, pick a game and don't look up strategies and such and see what happens.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That get's a little exhausting eventually, though. I was keeping cards sideways and separate in my hand but I still ended up forgetting one of the details and that didn't feel good.

That's part of the game. If you need an extra tool or assistants to compensate for a lapse in working memory then maybe try to make the most out of a bad situation. I'll sometimes forget something and through clues and discarding just try to not make a huge gently caress up. Writing things down and such will just give you scores of 24-25 all the time and the challenge has been lost.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bought the new printing of Onirim for future mother in law. She plays spider and other forms of solitaire every morning and loves shuffling so after trying out Onirim for myself to make sure it's ok for her I decided it would be a good fit. Well, it went over really well and she was pretty excited about it and thought it was amazing that games like that exist.

The packaging in this 2nd edition is really elegant compared to the previous printing. It unfolds out into the separate rule books that cover the base game and expansions. The production quality is much higher. It comes with an incubus figurine that I don't know what it's for. Since it comes with 7 expansions it should provide years of enjoyment for her.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DS is great for getting down and dirty in gaming. As what people have said before, board position is important. You can get glaciated all over the place and get knocked around but you can try to use your species' ability the best you can to score. People sometimes forget about scoring points and just want cubes everywhere.

Game is pretty good with 3. I had a blast with 5. Did 3 players with 2 animals each once and that was fun as well but tough to balance the species; however, you can create some crazy moves using your species to create scoring windows.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

There really isn't a need for ad hominem attacks against them. They are really bad on their own. Maybe you can retheme Caverna as some sort of missionary/cultural brainwashing worker placement game and see how they review it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Hra Mormo posted:

One of my friends is big into cycling and yeah, that scene puts board gamers to shame in the weird department.

I can concur. Think really fit but weird as hell people.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Board gaming could learn a thing or two from chess-boxing.

definitely a mystery for sure.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Hanabi is a good co-op game for 2 players.

Time for pages of Hanabi hate/love...

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

His review for go is really something:

Not really for human consumption. Go has not gone through a "game design process", it's more like we discovered this weird unsolvable math problem. Have fun with that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Lorini posted:

I use these, a lot cheaper and easier to store.

We use these and they are a life saver. It makes putting up Puerto Rico, Le Havre, Castles of Burgendy, and Agricola really fast or even setting up. I really can't remember the last time I actually stacked chits and other pieces of cardboard for these games.

For randomization i'll just put my hand over the bowl of what's left and shake and just look like i'm doing a lottery drawing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

I really need to play me a game of Twilight Struggle but my partner doesn't like 2 player direct conflict games. I've learnt the rules and cards and everything.

The digital versions(not vassal) should be coming out in the next 2-3 months so you're in luck.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

One thing that has helped me with teaching Dungeon Petz is right off the bat explain how you score because for a beginner it might be a bit awkward to grasp.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Game turns into a bloodbath early if the center cross task is out first.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Echophonic posted:

People said the same thing about Tash-Kalar, so it's not really just dog-piling known mediocre game Splendor.

I'm just hoping I can fill it with expansions.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Tash Kalar question.

Under what circumstances can a token be upgraded?

The guy I played with yesterday said tokens go from common to heroic if they kill something on their turn (during a combat move or leap, for example) in addition to if a card says so.

This would make movement cards quite powerful, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's designed that way.

I can't seem to find much in the rules to support either, which makes me think card-only is right.

He was trying to justify cheating(or thinks what the pieces ought to do) because there is nothing in the rule books that even get close to that idea.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I do like comparing 4 player High Form in Tash Kalar to bridge.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

there is someone on reddit or bgg somewhere who has been hinting about playtesting an Android:Netrunner app. I'm REALLY EXCITED about that potentially existing some day

A LotR app would also be awesome

Where did you see this?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I won't believe this Mage Knight news until it is verified again tomorrow.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Texibus posted:

How does that game play with four? I've only played head to head.

4 player high form is awesome. You play in teams of 2.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

see the garbage Netrunner players are putting up with and wonder why they are doing that to themselves.

It's not that bad.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

I dunno. It's pretty bad. At this point, I cannot recommend Netrunner to anyone who doesn't want to read faqs, forums and tweets for hours. Try explaining why sharpshooter doesn't work like Fairie to a new player, or why Kati Jones and shell Corporation work the same despite different wordings. There are reasons for these things and dozens of other weird interactions and wordings, but they are a pain in the rear end. Only people who invested hundreds of dollars into the game give a poo poo.

I don't think the meta is too bad, but it certainly is hard to be creative and competitive. There are strong archetypes and straying from those is asking to lose. Combine this with an abundance of silver bullets, and you can end up playing the most elaborate game of rock paper scissors.

I am also convinced that there is little to no playtesting. It is arguable whether there are overpowered cards/identities, but I seriously doubt everyone played the IT department the same way and didn't have any objections or confusion to its wording.

Maybe you should take this to the netrunner thread.The interactions aren't as bad as perceived. IT Dept is not even an issue anymore.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I hope his figure has a bear next to him.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

New Tash Kalar expansion (in prototype) with demons as the faction, new Galaxy Trucker expansion and Vlaada has a new FPS (board)game called Adrenaline coming out. Hype (BGG link)

Yesss.

oh hell yes can't wait

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Kem should just get into the hobby games business. Sure, Dominion will be like $120 but those riffle shuffles will be silky smooth.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of Netrunner, my local shop has a lot of players and it looks fun, but what do you really need to buy to get into it at this point?

Find a person who is leaving the game and buy their collection for 30% off. For casual play, come over to the netrunner thread for further discussion.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Of these LCGs should I get Netrunner, LotR, or Star Wars? I assume Netrunner has the biggest player base but I think my wife would enjoy the licensed ones a lot more.

If she likes cyberpunk then Netrunner is a solid choice. It's pretty easy to get immersed in the lore. However, LotR is good if you want a coop experience. I've heard Star Wars has easier deckbhilding decisions; but, some people might want more decisions in that. You could check out your local store and see if they have demo units of the games and try them out.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Diosamblet posted:

Any other advice for teaching this to newer gamers?

Explain clearly when you can score points and using the platform.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

No joke, I bet that if GMT games made a COIN game where you play as vampires, faeries, wizards, and zombies with asymmetrical goals vying for control in fantasy chicago, it would outsell all their other COIN games.

Without a doubt.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Imagine if other games had the Monopoly treatment and there was a Zelda themed Twilight struggle. Do you want this?

In the Zelda version would there be about 5-10 random HEY! cards shuffled in?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Rusty Kettle posted:

This would actually be very nice for Castles of burgundy. Keeping those drat tiles sorted is a pain.

Use flexible cupcake baking cups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

HGTV could probably make a killing reskinning travel blog for house hunters international since every person on that show is writing a travel blog.