Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I'm picking up Coup, Through the Ages, and Temporum and I need one more game to get free shipping. Here are all the games I own: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ElysiumSA

Mainly looking for 3+ player games, nothing super long or heavy, any recommendations?

p.s. the last recommendation I got here was for Libertalia which has been a huge hit, so thanks for that.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Is it redundant to get San Juan if you have RFTG?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So update on the suggestions I was asking for... I ended up just buying Puerto Rico. It probably won't see much play with my group but I figure it's one of those games I should probably at least own and try out.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I just got Temporum in the mail, is the box insert a joke or what? So other than the board the game consists entirely of cards and some chits, and the box insert is just a giant open space for your cards to get thrown all over the place in...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Jedit posted:

It's a Vaccarino game. Expect expansions.

Expansions which will also be cards that get strewn about wildly in the box?

A dominion set comes with an insert that has slots and labels for each stack of cards...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So like I was saying, this is the inside of the Temporum box:

I just noticed that the meeple bag is not even resealable. They must have spent all the component money on the fuckoff huge tri-fold board (why does it need to be that big again?).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I thought I had a really interesting scenario in Temporum last night, but it turns out it's just because we were playing it wrong. We had Age of Cults out (Each player with any cards pass one to the left) and at the end of the game, the person who was almost certainly going to win was to the left of a person with no cards, so I move to Age of Cults, pass my card to the left, recieve the card from the winning player, and the winning player gets nothing. We had played a couple games before, and each time the game pretty much ended like "well I'm gonna win next turn and there's nothing you can do about it," so this was an exciting development.

Turns out players with no cards are just skipped over, and we would have just traded cards. Somehow I missed that line in the FAQ. Oh well, she ended up winning anyway.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this game. It's been fun, but you're like just about to get going and you look at the crowns and you're like "poo poo, this game is over in 1 turn."

The first game we played was really weird because we randomly put out the cards and got nearly every "Play a card, Score a card, or Draw 2 cards" zone in the deck in every zone. So you could do pretty much anything anywhere and it was almost pointless to move time or even move. Subsequent games have had a much more interesting mix of zones.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also, I'm disappointed I didn't wake up to six pages of Temporum impressions. :mad:

The game doesn't seem to have much exposure, there isn't really much talk about it on BGG, and none of the video reviewers have given it a go yet.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Forbidden Desert is loving hard. We failed miserably on 4 games on Normal before breaking down and trying on Novice. Then we lost 2 more times. The second time it looked like we were going to win, but we mixed up which of the 2 remaining unexcavated tiles we had peaked at earlier and needed to uncover, picked the wrong one, and then lost 1 turn before we would have won. The third game on Novice we got a really good start, kept the storm level at 2 for a ridiculously long time with some luck and good use of the Meteorologist power, and pulled out a pretty comfotable victory from there. We did not have the Water Carrier or the Archeologist, without whom my group was already writing off the game before we had started.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So given how almost pointless the board is in Temporum, this is how I'll be traveling with it this weekend:

That's a Timeline box measuring a few inches by a few inches. Just putting the cards on the table negates most of the need for the board, and if the cards aren't enough to delineate the zone space for the crowns we can use a piece of paper or something. Funnily, Timeline is quite an appropriate box...

p.s. this is how I roll with the entire contents of the Carcassonne Big Box (minus the scoring board and instructions):

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
No video reviews can even remotely compete with UFBRT. He is one of the only people who actually uses the power of video/editing to actually illustrate how the game plays and why it's fun, quickly and clearly, instead of just showing you stuff in the box and seeing someone's talking head explain the game and move pieces around. Unfortunately he has been retired from reviews for quite a while.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

quote:

There are 30 new Kingdom cards, including the return of Duration cards that do things on future turns, plus Reserve cards that can be saved for the right moment.

New Duration cards, awesome.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played several games of Temporum now. A bunch of 3-player and a couple 5-player. I enjoyed all the games, but for some reason it seemed more interesting with 5. Maybe because there are more people to change timelines, or because you can share Ruling a zone. Or maybe we just had more interesting setups. Also, Tulip stocks really seems to gently caress with people's carefully laid plans, 9 gold and everyone loses 5? Huge.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

rchandra posted:

We shuffle the stack of randomizers to make the deck (potion cards included IFF we already have them), but you can't just put those in your deck thanks to the backs

Just use the blue backs. Just think of it as another small bonus to buying a black market card.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Defnitely agree that Vlaada rulebooks are hard to go back and reference for actual rules later.

Was nice and refreshing to get a simple and easy to reference DXV rulebook with Temporum. Granted it's a pretty simple game, but everything is laid out right there, and then there is the FAQ for every single card and zone for any extra questions.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

esquilax posted:

Dominion would slow down a whole lot if people looked through their own discards, or their opponents discards, to see what has been played. Or to make a VP count. Better to leave it "hidden".

On the other hand, playing Dominion online with the score tracker add-on is much better imo.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Elyv posted:

yeah, I looked over the rules again about half an hour ago and I think we're supposed to have desert effects after every turn instead of after every turn cycle. :downs:

Hah. Yes, having 3x as long to complete the game and basically never having to worry about water and running out of sand and only having the sand level rise like every 12 turns makes it a fair bit simpler.

My group has like a 20% win rate on normal.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

If anyone is familiar with customs procedures please correct me, but I have a hunch the situation is being greatly exaggerated and they're just using customs as an easy scapegoat for their own fuckups.

Based on my experiences at airport security, I believe them. "We are randomly flagging your bag. Wow how carefully packed and squeezed in everything is, let me just pull everything out haphazardly and then walk away and you can spend 20 minutes repacking."

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What's the gooncensus on Temporum? Will it get there with more expansions?

Temporum is pretty good. With an expansion that adds some more unique and interesting zones, and a new mechanic that does... something (hey, if I knew I would design the games and not play them), it could be really good. DXV said an expansion would depend on base game sales, which judging by the the lack of hype and activity on BGG (if that's any measure) I would say are not that great.

What the game definitely needs though, is entirely new components. A different, non-stupidly-large board. No more dumb crowns that fall over (honestly cubes would be better, but you could probably find some thematic thing that is better). Heftier zones (think Forbidden Desert tiles) would be interesting. Obviously better arrows, which they are already working on.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 20, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

I've played Temporum a few times and it hasn't really gripped me. The Ages (outside of Age 4) generally seem extremely similar with only subtle differences (Age 1 for scoring cards, 2 for playing cards, 3 for card draw) and it's just sort of about optimising the way you get the 30 advances you need for victory, and planning it so that you don't run out of money and cards until you get your 30th tick. You hardly even seem to really interact with the other players. Am I missing something?

It's definitely a game of optimizing, much like Dominion. Your main resource is "turns" in that you have to get money to score, play cards to get money, and draw cards to not run out, so your plan is to sequence your actions and movement to do this in the least turns possible. That definitely doesn't appeal to everyone, just like some people find Dominion really bland. If you get a really basic board the game can definitely be a bit rote. But then you get a board that has say, Communist Utopia, and so you drop Gang of Pickpockets to stay under 12 gold, so you can drop another card, so you can draw a card from GoP and you're off to the races. Or you carefully manage your crowns so you have 4 in key zones and abuse Information Age to go to Bureaucracy in Zone 3 playing a card (one of which is Papal Tiara to let you score a card), making everyone else with $12 retreat a crown and then move to zone 2 (Plague) to draw 2 more cards and make everyone in Zone 1 and 3 discard a card.

I think it's fun. It's not super interactive, but again like Dominion, what your opponents are doing matters. How quickly are they scoring? How many cards do they have in their hand? How much money do they have? That defines your "clock." Can you make them discard cards or money? Can you take over ruling a zone for a small swing (an extra card for you and one less for them could make all the difference!). But like I said, I think some new cards, and one mechanic could really push it over the edge.

ps. http://pittersplace.com/temporum/ although the AI is really easy. I've literally never lost.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 20, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The board is extra large. You can easily configure the cards and crowns into a space at least 2/3 the size, and that's before considering alternate component sizes. The scoring track doesn't need to nearly be as big if you aren't laying down the crowns. We play without the board at all, hence my interest in tiles, however, given the price for the minimal components already, I would think they can afford tiles.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Sloober posted:

Space alert is great but as a warning people either love the game or hate it, there's not much middle ground.

I have found the middle ground: my friends. They swear up and down that it's a great game and they really like playing it, yet they never want to play a second game. I'm like "it's set up, it only takes 10 minutes, and you say you like it, but you don't want to play again?" So they are apparently the middle ground. Or liars.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I've got Pictomania and Dungeon Petz in my CSI cart. Need to pick up another game for free shipping. I was thinking Tash-Kalar but I am unsold on it being that good of a 4 player game, and I'm pretty sure my girlfriend will dislike it playing 1v1 (we play very few 2 player games anyway).

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
If I'm understanding Haunted Woods correctly, it can cause some hosed up situations, like where you are planning some megaturn and draw a million cards, but forget about Haunted Woods and buy a card from Black Market and have to put your whole hand back in your deck.

Just generally you'll have to be really conscious about the order of playing or not playing treasures from your hand, which a lot of new players probably don't even realize isn't just showing all your money and buying cards. If you don't need that Gold to buy something you can just put it back on your deck.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

esquilax posted:

So after the megaturn, if you use everything, it would just be all your victory cards on top of your deck.

It would be any action cards you didn't play yet and any money you didn't put in play when you played black market (if you chose to only play what you needed). This is an extremely edge case scenario but still interesting.

quote:

You play all of the treasures you're going to before you start buying cards. Caring about which treasures get played or not and in what order is nothing new, see Bank and Grand Market.

Right, but it's much easier to forget that someone has Haunted Woods out than to not remember to play your Bank last, and people are going to have to be more vigilant/anal about people playing/not playing treasures "showing" vs playing, etc.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 1, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Island is basically identical-except-simplified Pandemic. Desert has different mechanics and is harder than Island, and overall is a better game.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I didn't see if someone posted this already, but Amazon is having a Tabletop day sale:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1116...177402741770316

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Big Money is kind of irrelevant unless someone else is actually going Big Money. You take two people, who both know about Big Money, and they both know that there are generally better strategies, so you each explore the possibilities of the Kingdom and end up having a non-big-money game. Sometimes the game ends up dragging on and you think "wait a minute, if I had just gone big money I would have won by now!" but that is irrelevant. It's 1) possibly not true because the other guy would have adjusted to your strat and shut you down with a better one, and 2) doesn't mean anything because you just need to beat his strat, not beat big money.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ok so in Pictomania it says that

"The player who made the most incorrect guesses is the
black sheep for this round. If the black sheep has taken a bonus point
token, that player loses 1 point for each star on that token. "

So if you take the +3 bonus token, and you are the black sheep, do you just end up with 0 points or -3 points?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I hope I win.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I looked up Codenames after all the talk in this thread, and it seems to be mostly out of stock at the moment. But it seems to me this is like the worlds easiest game to make? You just need some words... and some markers, right? There's not really anything else to the game is there?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played print and play Codenames last night. Made an excel sheet that randomly creates spy sheets and word sheets from a list and printed a bunch out. Went over very well, except everyone seemed to struggle to Clue anything more than 2 words, and sometimes would even drop 1s when they couldn't think of a 2. I managed to get at least one 3 both times I was a spy master and that let us pretty easily Cruise to a win on 2s. One loss we were setting up the win when the spymaster gives the clue "university, 2" and someone sees Slip and Rock right next to each other (slippery rock university) which is then discussed, but we decide to go with New York (NYU) as our first guess, and it turned out to be the Assassin, and slip and rock was correct.

Also played 2 player Tash Kalar (first time I was able to break it out since buying it months ago) it was fun except it seemed to take us super long since we were probably very unfocused just trying to make shapes and hardly scoring goals. The other thing was that it seemed to have a strange pace (even on the second game) where it just kind of slowly builds until maybe someone just got a goal on consecutive turns and goes "oh hey I won."

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 8, 2015

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Does anyone have a really good rules cheat sheet / teaching breakdown for Dungeon Petz? I've owned it for a while but I need to get a really good grasp of the rules and how to teach it before I bust it out and people's eyes glaze over as I try to explain everything and we play Pictomania instead.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I played SET with a guy who was very insistent that certain sets didn't count because they were "2-2" sets and not "3-1" sets, referring to the number of features that were either all the same or all different. I showed him the rule book (which is very simple) and he was like "well fine if you want to play the easy way."

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Unless it's only 1 person that's never played before, I run the training mission (I might sit it out to let them do it on their own though) just because it doesn't quite click with some people how the game actually WORKS even after hearing the rules. Like it's hard to reconcile matching up the turns with the real time/continuous aspect of the game without seeing it. So they run through the training mission, then it's off to the full mission they go.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Black market would be a great card if not for the black market deck part. Just 'get an extra non-buy-phase buy phase' is a really interesting mechanic.

Do you dislike the mechanic of having certain players randomly get access to 1 card, or do you dislike making/breaking down the black market deck? Because I think using the Blue Backs as the Black Market deck is a great solution to the latter, and the fact that you can see the blue back is just a bonus/downside (you knowing when it's about to come up in your deck/your opponents potentially knowing what you are holding) that adds extra flare.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Was just spitballing a Codenames variant: You set up the board, and then instead of using the spy sheet, after randomly selecting an assassin, you and the other spymaster take turns (secretly) drafting the words you want.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

homullus posted:

This is clever, and would be a fun variant for asynchronous play (if that ever gets enabled by an app or whatever), but I think it adds a phase of the game that only has two of the players playing for however long. I guess you could be drafting game #2 while still playing game #1.

I don't think time is really an issue unless people have some really serious AP. A couple seconds per pick, marking it down on a sheet of paper or something. 5 seconds a pick? That's 85 seconds. I've seen people take 5 minutes as a spymaster only to give up and give a "1" clue.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

homullus posted:

If you're playing the variant right, though, you are drafting based on clever clues > 1 that you can give, and perhaps blocking the opponent from doing theirs, so you're literally doubling the length of time that a spymaster is looking at the words while thinking "how can I get as many as possible of the ones left?". You're not just picking the words off the page at 5 second intervals, you know? Not unless you separately time that part.

Even if you take more than 5 seconds (which I actually recommend for some strategy), you're not even close to doubling the amount of time looking at the words before giving clues (which if you're anything like my friends, is like 20 minutes of hemming and hawing). Ok so you and the other spymaster look at the board. You spend 1-2 minutes just looking over it, looking for some synergies. You get first pick. You take Dog, hoping for some future animal synergy. He takes New York (possibly going geographical). That took 2 seconds. You take Fish. He takes Vacation. Another couple seconds. You look around the board again, grab Egypt from him. He thinks for a few seconds, takes River, possibly confounding your fish pick, and so on. You spend 5 minutes or so doing this maybe. Obviously, you can take longer, if you allow yourselves to pour over every strategical pick. But since this is an alternative to completely random words you would otherwise be getting, you give yourself a reasonable time limit (which also adds to the challenge of the draft). As a bonus this probably also shortens the amount of other clue time, as you have a general idea what you are going for already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Except you also want to block things that are easy for your opponent to get. It also drastically reduces the creativity of the "main" phase of the game, which is where most of the fun comes in.

Meanwhile, is there no assassin?

The assassin is randomly assigned (somehow) before the draft. I agree you want to block your opponents potentials, which is why he takes River, and you take Egypt in my little example. I disagree it "drastically" reduces the creativity in the main phase, as the rest of the game plays similar, but with some added meta component (because they know you tried to pick synergies.. and that some might be confounded). It might fall apart if your rival spymaster is terrible and allows you to get all 8 of the animal clues on the board, but if he snags a couple, it might ruin your strategy to give animal clues at all, forcing you to come at your words differently.

I wouldn't propose this as an everyday replacement for the normal rules, just an interesting variant.