Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Called 4 local Books-A-Million. Looks they aren't stocking anything worthwhile for the Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off sale. Darn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Why is Kemet so expensive right now? Is it out of print? It's 55-70 dollars on Amazon.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Broken Loose posted:

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210379
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210378

MY KS COPY HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET

Will these changes come to Avalon eventually? Other than the inquisitor which is just Merlin

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Broken Loose posted:

Nope. Avalon is a one-shot deal and won't get any upgrades ever. If you want Trapper, Hunter, Reverser, or Defector, you gotta get HI&HA (unless you got the KS Avalon which has the Defector). If you want Rogue or Sergeant, you had to Kickstart HI&HA (unless you got the KS Avalon which has the Sergeant).

I just read on BGG that an Avalon expansion is in the works and the kickstarter will go live next year.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Bahaha.
In the KS they actually said that Avalon is stand alone and wouldn't be expanded.

Plans....have changed.
...Because we give them lots of money.

I just read about it a random BGG thread. No clue if it's true or not. Also I have to say all this kickstarter exclusive poo poo is really dumb. Why are you releasing the full version of the game to only a limited amount of people.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well you guys are really making me want Keyflower. I assume no reprint is planned, and I'd have to shell out around 80 to get my hands on it?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Rex is quite a bit better. It's almost mechanically equivalent, but they removed some of the useless ballast from the original game. By "useless ballast," I really do mean "useless," such as action cards that don't do anything and spaces on the board that serve no purpose. The action cards are simpler (and more effective, generally), the board is simpler without changing the gameplay much at all, and there's a minor tweak in that in Rex the sandworm (Sol Offensive, in Rex) eating your dudes and the opportunity to make alliances are disconnected, so that you no longer get eaten by a sandworm and then forced to try and bargain from your now weaker position. Other than those three things it's pretty much unchanged, as far as I recall.

Also, it has the added benefit of the spaces on the board not being named completely retarded things like "oh gap."

As far as I remember from reading about Rex, didn't they remove some of the more interesting asymmetric player powers/win conditions?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For Dominion storage-- Does just buying a collectible card binder work? I feel like that might be the most compact solution provided the binder you buy can support 10 cards per sleeve thingy.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

rchandra posted:

Yeah, that's what I use - a large zippered 3-ring binder from Mead Five Star, with standard CCG pages. Be warned it's very heavy with all expansions in it. I keep the base cards and randomizers in an MTG Fat Pack box, a small-medium card box should work well for those and tokens, if you don't have a good space in the binder for them (you don't strictly need the randomizers as phones are better, but I like them for Black Market and sometimes for setup).

Can you link me to a place to buy the one you use? A lot of people seem to say they can't fit the game with all the expansions in one binder, and I'm definitely looking for that option if it's possible since I own all of them.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

rchandra posted:

I think this is it, unsure which way binders are measured - mine's around 4 inches wide on the outside, around 3 inches of ring diameter.
http://www.staples.ca/en/Five-Star-3-inch-Zippered-Binder/product_384372_2-CA_1_20001
You could buy the pages first, put the cards in how you want, and then measure to see what size you need. I'm using a little overlap across sets with one blank card for spacing - Alchemy + Cornucopia share 3 pages, Guilds starts at the end of Dark Ages. Fortunately in both cases those sets are adjacent alphabetically anyway, so I have a sensible ordering. I did give promos their own page though instead of cramming them at the end of other sets.

For some reason that link just goes to a staples page where it asks for my postal code, then tells me it doesn't exist...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What does Orleans play like? The two BGG reviews do not give a good sense of the game at all.

Also is the earliest we can get Orleans in the USA really sept 2015 via the kick starter?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there really a huge Dominion expansion with like 400 cards coming in 2015?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the site that sells Dominion base cards with custom art?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do we have a board game trading thread? I think I've seen it mentioned once or twice.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone know how the board game scene in Atlanta is? I moved here 3 years ago, but never dug too deeply. I haven't noticed any game shops with game nights, but then again I wasn't looking super hard cause I was just starting medical residency

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lord Frisk posted:

I've had people ask the same about Pandemic. And Twilight Struggle. If it has a world map, it's gotta be risk, right?

What do you expect them to say? This is a niche hobby and people are going to compare what they see to what they already know. Faulting people for not having an intimate knowledge of your personal hobby is a really socially inept viewpoint.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lord Frisk posted:

Of course I immediately dressed them down, spat in their faces, then kicked them out of my house.

gently caress you very much for hoisting your own hosed up opinion on me.

Well your post was clearly making fun of people for confusing more eclectic board games with Risk. Not sure what other interpretation I'm supposed to take away from that? Also what hosed opinion are referencing? The one that we shouldn't expect the average person to recognize niche board games at the drop of a hat, because yes I would like to hoist that opinion on to you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I bought it in person, and they wouldn't take it back with that many cards missing, I'd simply never give them business again. Really though there is no point in using retail game stores. Just buy everything on Amazon.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or his tastes are completely arbitrary.

Or you know you can have one impression when playing a game once at a Con, and then have a different impression after trying it with a critical lens in the setting of writing a review. One would think he should actually be praised for being able to approach the review objectively, given his initial great impression.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Two unrelated questions:

1. I was watching a video of terra Mystica gameplay, and it sort of reminded me of Tigris and Euphrates. At least the way you strive to build kingdoms of connected areas and prevent others from doing the same. Is it anything like that, because I love T&E.

2. What's the best dominion randomized app. I was using dvault, but I feel like it's lacking options to make good sets. I like to play with every single expansion, so I need some decent restriction settings. Dvault only has options to guarantee at least one +buy and one +action cars, but ideally I'd like to guarantee a trashing card as well. I also would love if it let you lock in some sort of value curve so you don't end up with all 5+ cost cards

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jedit posted:

What platform do you want it for?

iOS please.

So how much interaction is there in terra Mystica? Does it get start getting cutthroat in terms of cutting people off or is it more geometry solitare? I've been debating between TM and dominant species for a long time now. Both seem like medium-heavy weight euros that are highly regarded. Our group tends to like games like Caylus, eclipse, Tigris and Euphrates, Game
Of thrones.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Dominant species questions. A lot of the reviews I've read mention it is a very swingy chaotic game. In particular people mention that it is common for who is winning to change from turn to turn. Does this affect its strategic depth? Is it possible to actually plan ahead, have a strategy, etc... Does the better player usually win?

Also how many players does the game work best with? I know it goes up to 6. What's realistic though. Are 3 players or 6 players actually fun?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Zveroboy posted:

Oh BoardGameGeek, you do brighten my days.

Woke up this morning to find a post in the Dominion sub-forum saying "I think that shuffling victory point cards into your deck is bad game design". OP then plays a game leaving the Victory cards out of the deck, only to discover "the game is clearly balanced around having cards that do nothing from time to time."

To be fair literally almost everyone replies with the befuddlement that you express in your post. It's not like it's a bunch of people agreeing with him. That post was just a one off by a newish board gamer that could have very well been made anywhere, including here.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
drat. The owner of Game Salute has been leading me on for a month and a half now with his Keyflower restock. He keeps telling me "next week". I wonder if the price difference will even be worth the wait. I can get it for around 65 bucks on amazon right now. I'm assuming game salute will sell it for around 50.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Crackbone posted:

I bought Keyflower and Farmers expansion from Amazon.co.uk. Both + shipping was still less than Gamesalute retail.

Holy poo poo. You are a god send. Its 50 bucks with 5-10 days of shipping. Farmers is really cheap too. Is it worth picking up off the bat or should I stick with the base game?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Weird. For all copies of Keyflower the Farmers on amazon.uk it says the only langauge is german. Also one of the alternate sellers is selling Farmers for 9 pounds, and they seem to have respectable reviews... I'm not sure how to verify that the tiles would be in English or not, and I'd prefer not to have german labeled tiles.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyflower-The-Farmers-KEYF/dp/B00GEB7GPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423780300&sr=8-2&keywords=keyflower

The reviews at the bottom of the page are in English, and don't mention any language issues, but that might not necessarily mean anything.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 12, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Crackbone posted:

The tiles have both the German and English names on them.

Good Deal. Ordered both Keyflower and the Farmer Expansion for 82 bucks. Given that Amazon USA via Game Salute wants 63 dollars just for Famer's alone w/ shipping I think this was probably a pretty good deal.

Thanks so much Crackbone. You probably just saved me a ton of money.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 13, 2015

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ahh, that makes sense. Regardless, I hope you enjoy Argent if/when you get to play it!

I enjoyed it the one time I played it, but I'd have to play more to see if it's a flash in the pan. There might be a legitimate concern that the game is a bit too random, but I thought I had the best strategic game of everyone at the table and won, so :colbert: But because of the way victory works, in that it's not about the most number of points or whatever, but the most number of votes, it's entirely possible for people to stumble into votes that they weren't even pursuing. But at the same time, you also know what potential votes exist (and probably a handful of the actual voters available), so you can learn to play around it. You don't have to win them all, just the most, and I think that's where the people in my group were failing (I somehow did end up with like 8 out of 12 votes though). It plays a lot better if you're the type of person who can make judgment calls over whether to compete over a given vote or just let it go.

You also have to be really aggressive, since being passive doesn't really do much for you. Most of the spells involve dicking someone over and the entire ability of one mage is dicking someone over. Rushing out 4 of your mages in one round like I did was not really smart since it just set me up to be a huge target since I took 4 good spots. Oops. Luckily, there aren't that many gotcha moments, since everything is available for public viewing, but the counterpoint to that is that if you have AP you are so boned, especially since you may feel compelled to count up various things to see who might be voting for who. DO NOT play this with anyone who is AP prone.

The other thing that I sorta agree with is that it's a bit fiddly, especially whenever I have to count the number of WIS or INT I have available, which are likely spread across any number of cards. It's sort of a pain in the rear end, but not a dealbreaker. Also, the game takes up a horrendous amount of table space. Like, holy poo poo, I think it took up more than Eldritch Horror.

Overall I like it a lot, and if you're used to the standard L99 combination of clever mechanics and jank, you should like it too.

From watching videos of it and reading review it strikes me as the type of game that has some really cool ideas and underlying design, but needed whatever the board game equivalent is to a good editor. There needed to be someone to keep the desinger in check, which would have involved removing or paring down some of the gameplay systems in order to keep the game tighter and more streamlined. It seems like a game that would be very difficult to actually get to the table, because of the large set up time, huge amount of table space, demanding upfront learning curve, and general high amount of fiddliness.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

EvilChameleon posted:

Get Glory to Rome because it is the best game. I mean, if you can find it. There's almost no set up and you build stuff and try to break the game better than others. Have you considered Eminent Domain? It's a bit fiddly, as you say, but it feels like RFTG in a lot of ways because you are building a tableau of planets, you have mostly simultaneous turns so there isn't downtime, and it has about as much PVP as RFTG. Otherwise, what's wrong with San Juan? I haven't played the physical game but I've played the android clone and it seems like it would fit, but maybe someone who has played a physical copy could help you out.

Holy poo poo. Glory to Rome is 90 dollars? Some random board game shop owner convinced me to buy it on a whim 3 years ago for 15 bucks since he said it was his go to game. Since it wasn't the game I purposefully purchases, I forgot about it, and It's been sitting on my shelf unplayed since. Is it actually good?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Not really. There are tons and tons of people on BGG who have very similar opinions to this thread. There are just way more people on BGG in general, so you are going to get a mixed opinion.

All in all the concept of an overall board game of the year award is really kind of dumb. Different games are made to fit some pretty specific niches in the hobby, so I'm not really sure how you are supposed to judge whether a well made worker placement game is better than a well made war game other than the reviewers preference. Having a best of for each type of game makes sense, but an overall best of is just way too subjective.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

JoshTheStampede posted:

The pages long dogpile whenever anyone says they don't would seem to imply otherwise.

\/\/ thread title!

People in this thread said have said they don't like Dominion plenty of times. The reason he's getting dog piled is because he's calling Dominion a starter game with little depth, which just isn't true. On top of that his actual arguments are very poor, and make it seem like he doesn't have a good grasp of the mechanics, despite the fact that he probably does, since hes played 40+ games of it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Nevermind

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
A lot of talk about evolution kickstarted. I've never heard about the game before today. Since a lot of people are taking about buying it I'm guessing it's good. Anyone want to give me a run down of it?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How is Warhammer Disk Wars? I feel like Tash Kalar holds the crown for my 1v1 gaming needs, but I just love the Warhammer lore so much, and I have no desire to actually ever get involved with miniatures. This seems like a nice way to enjoy the world without really getting involved with the miniature game itself.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Went ahead and picked up Disk Wars based on the recommendations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Where can I get felt or whatever you are supposed to play Disk Wars on?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Walmart. For a quick and easy portable solution, buy foam board and staple the felt to it. You can get it all at Walmart.

Cool. What size do I need for disk wars?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Finally played Tash Kalar. It is a cool game, but looks like it requires a huge time investment to actually get decent at.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
No matter what field you are in, when you publicly throw someone else under a bus it never puts you in a good light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm deliberating on putting down the money for Eminent Dominant + Both Expansions via the kickstarter. Someone sway me one way or the other. The only other card drafting game I'm familiar with is Dominion, which I love and own every expansion. Its says on BGG that it plays best with 3. Is this true? If so that would almost guarantee the purcahse, because I feel so few games work well with 3.