Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
<sigh>

Just backed Blood on the Clocktower. The SUSD review makes me angry for its lack of objectivity, but (a) I really like the idea of a Storyteller with a lot of agency, and (b) while I try to be objective about game quality, I know in my heart of hearts that games Quinns likes are usually games I like.

And the unspoken (c) I'm privileged enough that I can spend $75 on a game to only play it two or three times and feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Just played Dead of Winter for the first time last night and I gotta say it's a great deduction/traitor game to play only with friends!
As with any traitor game.

Please enjoy and savor. I've found (both with my copy and anecdotally) that DoW is amazing for about 5-7 games, and then suddenly the magic is gone. I'd never say no to another game, but I'll never vote for it either.

DoW was one of my first semi-coop games and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

nomadotto posted:

but I have trouble gathering 5 folks for Sidereal.

I feel personally attacked.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
See, that's what looks so great to me. BotC is a social deduction game with a GM.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I think that's fair. I've spent a lot of money on studies deduction games that I didn't enjoy because of the group I play with. I'm sure it's not a game for everyone, and I'm not going to advocate its changes are Earth shattering or revolutionary. But for me, the role of the Storyteller changes everything.

And I don't think the example includes a lot of what makes the Storyteller really get involved - Recluse, Poisoner, Courtier, etc. I'm really excited to see the other two editions.

And I'm not trying to hype anybody. At this point, it's so successfully funded it's in my best interests to convince people not to fund it.

Again, I think the changes are small but if they're the changes you're waiting for they're everything.

And I'm privileged enough that $100 is something I'll happily spend for the chance for one good session. That's not a privilege everyone has, and I acknowledge that.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The worst submarine posted:

I tried Trouble Brewing with some online friends (7 players plus gm) and an issue we had was the strength of the information roles. Washerwoman immediately confirms two people, and in combination with another info role confirms more. It's very difficult and frustrating to try and lie through those claims. The story teller can help with that but we had some real bad rounds through random distribution.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Washerwoman doesn't confirm to people, right? They confirm one of two people is good. And even if you count the Washerwoman as someone who is confirmed, that precludes the idea that they're evil or drunk, correct?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
A collection of words I never though I'd say on the internet and immediately disqualify me from joining the PTA...

The Drunk Virgin just seems delightful.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
$20 for Seafall.... I might have to indulge in some morbid curiosity.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

djfooboo posted:

It's mega bad. We played thru 75% and boy I wish we hadn't. Opening the spoilered ending was equally disappointing. Stay away. To say boring slog would be an understatement.

Oh, I wouldn't actually play it. But I wouldn't object to a post mortem, especially for the cost of a movie. I mean, I've seen Transformers movies in theaters.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I think size of collection is relative to size of home. If you have a lot of space, and aren't planning on moving, I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping a game you only play once a year.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So that leads me to ask... What're the best Android board game implementations?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Backed Oath with minor reservations. The game is right up my alley, played a few games on TTS and I like it a lot (in its current form), and I don't want to spend a year hoping to get it from my FLGS. I only buy games from my FLGS or directly or from Kickstarter, so I'm going to be paying MSRP some day.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just got King's Dilemma in the mail today. Was listening to SUSD, Quinns said "top game of 2019", I paused, and ordered it before the SUSD supply-chain-hug landed. Read the rules during lunch today - it looks loving delightful. Components aren't anything special in their material, but they's a couple small touches that show that thought and care has gone into them.

I'm hoping to put a lunch-time crew together for this, because it's straight my jam.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Got in a game of Oath last night.

It really feels like you're starting in the final act of something, as advertised. Three player game, I didn't quite understand visions, and our Chancellor understood the game better than I did, so he knew my strategy at a level deeper than I did, and he ate me alive. Other exile just explored the game. I had a really great time, and when setting up the TTS file for the next game (the legacy-adjacent part), I felt board game excitement I hadn't felt in a while. It was a really solid experience.

Oath may be the worst TTS game I've ever played, though.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Tabletop Simulator. A fantastic desktop program for running pretty much any board game your can think of.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there room in the world for two BGGs? Why do all the data aggregator communities (e.g., BGG, Goodreads) always have to be faux-monopolies?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Trying to get second Oath game set up. Don't usually deal with playtests, though, so I'm unused to rules being changed out from under me.

Boxman posted:

I realize this is not the Magic thread, so this isn’t quite “board game” the way you mean it, but Legends of Runeterra is real good, and their monetization scheme is extremely unusual - there’s actually a hard cap on the amount of real money you can spend any given week.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912283 - The Legends of Runeterra thread. It's good stuff (with "It" meaning either the game or the thread).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Shipwreck Arcana > Hanabi. I'll probably never play Hanabi again.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

silvergoose posted:

Yeah they might make a game about invading somewhere from the settlers point of view, maybe with armies and houses and cities and roads.

Coming soon to a Kickstarter near you: The Injuns of Catan.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Having played a little Oath, I have to say, the narrative? <chef kiss> I remember reading about mythical board games that didn't exist as a kid (Sleator's Interstellar Pig, Banks's The Player of Games), and wanting to play something like that. Oath is still undergoing active playtests/revisions, so I don't know how good a game it will end up being, but the whole "The end of the game determines the next game's setup" means you're kind of playing just one game, forever. Players come and go, people win individual rounds, but there's just the one game of Oath that you have and it never ends.

I can't put in to words how excited that makes 13 year old me.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LazyAngel posted:

Well, teaches me for not checking through my copy of Marvel Champions until recently, only to find there's only one copy of the base game Aggression cards instead of two in there. Not the end of the world, but annoying given the Asmodee changes.

UrbanLabyrinth explained it just fine, but to expound: The Getting Started guide lists two Aggression decks, but only includes enough cards to play one of them at a time.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LazyAngel posted:

Nah, I mean the aspect decks are supposed to have two copies of each card; mine only has one for Aggression.

Which cards are it supposed to have two of that it only has one of? Different Aggression cards will be 1x, 2x, or 3x?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've only played Rex - I've played neither version of Dune - and it's definitely a game that rewards two or three plays. It's not so deep that you need many plays, but a lot of the factions definitely require everybody to have some understanding of the game to be played well. The Fremen (I think? The Federation of Sol in Rex) definitely need people to understand their position on the board for them to be able to negotiate effectively, etc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jedit posted:

Someone sell me on this.

As someone who really wants to buy it but won't because the Goon-friend I will play it with the most is also buying it:

It's a tense little game that really requires you to think about the table dynamic. It's got that "once-removed" agency / victory thing going for it, where you're backing factions who do stuff, but you can change allegiances as their power shifts, and thinking down through those two layers is... tough. Good tough. The randomized tableau means strategies will change from game to game, but that's the only randomness, so it's all good randomness.

The physical components of this version are supposed to be top notch. I could give two wet farts about the theme, but there's no denying that it conveys it really well.

You should have it in your gaming group. If a friend isn't going to buy it, and your group likes that tense, back-stabby kind of fun, you should buy it if you can afford it. Is it worth $70? Absolutely. Is it the best $70 you can spend... maybe? But you should get it unless your collection is super tiny.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 10, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
[Edit: Wrong thread.]

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 11, 2020

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is some good new hotness that's on TTS that's good at 5?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just wrapped up a playtest of John Company, and while I found it lacking in the elves and lasers department, it was way, way more fun than I was expecting. Very excited to back.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
At long last, Oath has shipped. I am beside myself with excitement.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

StarkRavingMad posted:

I got mine last week. It's pretty. Takes up more table space than I was expecting, that's a long map. Got three multiplayer and two solo games in; I think it's a good time.

Played a half dozen games on TTS as it was playtested. Currently trying to picture the union of (a) people I play games with who love crunch, and (b) people who can reliably make it to more than one game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

The Eyes Have It posted:

The idea I really like is playing games kind of League-style, where we play one game several times in a row (once to learn, once to practice, and once "for real") then go from there.

Playing a game once then "whelp, done with that" feels like stopping right as we're all getting started.

This is my new policy.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

Video on Keyflower should be out this week btw.

I am very keen to hear your opinions on Keyflower.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is Keyflower perfect info? I thought certain meeples were pulled from the bag in secret?

Edit: Yeah, just looked at my rulebook. Keyflower isn't perfect info. I agree that perfect information games shouldn't hide info ("once seen, always seen"), but Keyflower has secret info as well.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 25, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh, I get that info that's once public should stay public. It's dumb to hide things that you knew once. Glory to Rome says you have to say what you're putting in the vault but nobody (including you) can know what's in your vault. But that's dumb.

But Keyflower, some things you take are from public info, and some are secret, and the comingling is important because it then turns the known into the unknown.

No Screen Scenario: I take two Red Meeples from the table and put them in front of my screen. I take two (Red) Meeples from the bag and place them behind the screen (secretly). I then spend two Red Meeples from behind the screen. You know I still have two Red Meeples.

Screen Scenario: I take two Red Meeples from the table and put them behind my screen. I take two (Red) Meeples from the bag and place them behind the screen (secretly). I then spend two Red Meeples from behind the screen. You don't know if I have any Red Meeples left.

Those are two different games.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Haystack posted:

Could I get some recommendations for some board games to play with my 5 year old? It'll generally be just me and her playing, with maybe another kid or adult now and then. She likes candy land and has somewhat outgrown the random Haba games that I have. Thanks.

I just went and asked my son who turns 5 next month, because his opinions are going to be very different from mine. He's ambitious - he keeps trying to play Cyclades and getting bored after an hour.

His current favorite games:

- Outfoxed
- Forbidden Island
- Monster Chase
- Checkers

Rhino Hero was his favorite for a bit, but I think he tabled it until his manual dexterity is higher. He likes Five Tribes, but he's really into genies, I don't think he likes the actual game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oath arrived. It's even more beautiful than I could have imagined.

And the (officially) sleeved components don't really fit in the box. I think this is the most mildly annoyed I've ever been.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

StarkRavingMad posted:

Put all the dividers and the sleeved cards except for the current world deck standing up in the little raised box part. Lay the world deck down flat in the other separated insert part. Cole said that's the way it's supposed to fit with sleeves on one of the streams, and it's worked fine for me with the sleeves on.

Everything else goes all baggied up in the center part or in the little tray for favors/secrets/dice but that should be self-explanatory. You can also put the relics on top of the world deck in that separated part.

Dang, you're right. I stand corrected. I was going off of an unsleeved video on setup, but that works. Thank you!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Have those previous campaigns delivered yet?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've always found history in board games to be unappealing. I want more lasers and wizards. Robin Hood is an excellent step in the right direction.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

djfooboo posted:

Orrrrrrrrr, Do not build anything with wood right now. Lumber prices are insane.

That being said, I work in lumber commodities and I don't see lumber prices dropping anytime in the near future. If you have your heart set on a wood table, you might as well get it, because I think it's only going to get more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MonsieurChoc posted:

So the Gloomhaven campaign is finally out in the videogame version!

Now do I try solo or try to find some people for co-op?

This I want to know as well. I have the physical, but Covid.