Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

What's with the big concentration of 4x games in the OP?

Any particular reason you discuss these at some length while not really talking much about other game archetypes? Are they particularly popular with goons at the minute or something? I find my groups never really want to touch em, sadly.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The expansions add alot of crap to BSG, I prefer it without.

The crap that emulates the planet they landed on for a while. By god that's terrible.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Azran posted:

While we're on the topic, what are the best deckbuilding games out there right now? I've never played Dominion, but I have played Ascension and Star Realms I think it was called. I've heard about the complaints levered towards Ascension, but the main thing keeping me away from Dominion is the theme.

Please don't get Dominion. I can't think of a game with less inspirational art and theme, and the player interactions are equally weak and uninspiring.

It sounds as though you're fairly new to the hobby. The last thing you want is to buy a game with strong rules (Dominion is undeniably a good game) but that leaves you un-thrilled. If you have first time gamers in your friend pool, it isn't the game that's going to capture their imagination. On the other hand, if your group is made up of serious gamers, well those guys can often get past the dullness and see the very interesting game (though imo there are certainly better deck builders out there) that's underneath.

Contrast that with Ticket To Ride, which I know people recommended you a page or two ago as a gateway game. People often think "Pfft, trains, really?" but once new gamers sit down to it, their game pieces aren't wooden pawns or card tokens sat on a plastic stand, instead they get to play with awesome little train pieces, which have little wheels and windows and stuff! New people often say "Choo Choo" as they lay them down. The map is nicely illustrated and the cards are colorful. It isn't the most complicated game, but it has depth and works perfectly as a gateway drug. New people play it and want to come back and are then more willing to give the more dry games a try.

For me, Dominion isn't a game for a new group. Not to mention, while it was definately the genre leader once, it's now been surpassed by several newer games in terms of gameplay and mechanics. Better alternatives as a first deck builder are Marvel Legendary, Thunderstone Advance and (I can't stand this next game, because the theme is just gross, but there is no denying it's a stronger game at it's core than Dominion, which it is almost a re-theme of in some ways (Dominion is better once you add all its expansions in, I am talking just base games here)) Tanto Cuore. If you adore anime, you might give that last one a try, if not stay way.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 9, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

almost everything funso said was the opposite of the truth.

When you get down to it, I was basically saying Dominion isn't the best deckbuilder in a single box. The guy's a new gamer buying a single product.

Do you actually believe it is best of the crop currently available? If you're buying just one box without expansions. Not saying you're wrong, but I honestly think the genre has moved on and improved on the base Dominion, or Intrigue.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 9, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Scyther posted:

Nowadays they are painfully unfunny, and they keep bringing in their painfully unfunny friends.

I think Quinns and Paul are still funny sometimes.

But I 100% agree on the lovely friends bit. Brendon and Matt are painfully, unfunnily bad.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

goodness posted:

Did any friendly goon happen to pick up an extra copy of Dominion at 15$ last night? I went to get one this morning online and it's all sold out.

That deal didn't stay for long I think. Sold out almost immediately.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

One of the managers at my job is Colombian and I'm embarrased to admit all my knowledge of Columbia is from Andean Abyss.

You can learn a lot about Columbia from Modern Families.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

bowmore posted:

Opinions on merchants and marauders?

I think the game is amazing. It's in my top 5 games of all time. The board is, in my opinion, the most attractive board out there. But I am a sucker for the Caribbean and that amazing turquoise color sea. The components are great, cards lovely, model ships are awesome. When you get the hang of it, both Merchant and Pirate tracks are balanced (though ideally, you do a bit of both to do particularly well with your scores). Plays 2-4 players equally well. A really nice solo play variant that I enjoy occasionally.

I am in the minority in this thread though. A lot of goons dislike it. Cons are that turns take a little while, and games certainly take longer than the manual pretend they take. It's also very AmeriTrashy. Personally, I am a huge Euro Nerd, this is the only game I make a serious exception for. A lot of goons (wrongly, I assure you, we've played this a lot and over time both paths are competitive) also state that one or other path is clearly superior, and that colors their opinion.

It's not a game for everyone. It can become a bit boring during opponents' turns, you have nothing to do for a while, which is my biggest gripe.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 28, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Sistergodiva posted:

Their judgement of the games are mostly about who it will fit, but from what I have seen it's decently accurate.

Gotta remember, they are a game store. They are never going to call a game awful, because they need to sell copies of it.

Instead, telling us if it's suitable for an audience is a way to pseudo-judge it while never saying "This game I want to sell, it's absolutely terrible!"

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Anniversary Edition has all of the expansion content to date, in a very nice box with very nice components. Get anniversary edition.

How much better are the components? The game appears to be about 50% more expensive here in the UK than just buying the game plus expansion. I don't think I give a crap about a better box, but could be persuaded if playing pieces are brilliant.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Frijolero posted:

I've been trying to find a game that my girlfriend would like. She refuses to play Agricola (Family mode) because "there's too much going on." Her three criteria for a board game are Simple, Pretty, and Fun. She also wants something with cool components and player tokens and something with a modern setting. I also highly doubt she would be into card-heavy games.

I wanted her to like Castles of Mad King soo bad, but that failed. She insists there's too much happening :smith:. I don't know if she's simply not able to get into board games or if I am going about it the wrong way. At least she seemed to like Pandemic when she saw it on Tabletop. So I'm thinking something like Pandemic, but for reason I am not personally drawn to it.

Any suggestions?

She sounds like my wife.

No matter what, she just doesn't like board games. She says one or two look cool, but then has no interest in actually sitting and learning, or playing the games. She says she does, but when it comes time to commit some time or concentration, then she doesn't feel like it.

I've given up, she's not going to enjoy gaming. I think it's because her job and main hobby is pretty energetic (she's a horse rider at work and at home) and she finds it hard to get into things that are more relaxed and involve not moving around too much.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Toshimo posted:

If someone could find me a well-put-together multiplayer online board game of at least Isotropic level of functionality, I'd pay good money for it, even if the game itself was mediocre.

How can anyone, these days, who enjoys the idea of board games online, not own an iPad.

There are many games of that quality or far superior. If you're a board gamer, the iPad pays for itself pretty quickly.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tekopo's new avatar is much more boring and less fun than the Bad Game Crew one. Whoever bought him that awful Desert War one should feel awful about themselves.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

seriously, you deserve dreadfleet.

You deserve Munchkin, Broken.

You really really do.

In a perfect world, you'd never have the time required to poo poo on anyone else, because you'd be stuck in an infinite loop of Munchkin. There'd be a table next to yours, and it would have Dominion set up on it. But through divine intervention you would never be able to stop playing Munchkin. Just steal occasional glances at the Dominion game nearby.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 1, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

see? this is what i mean. idiots like funso banjo with no reading comprehension think i'm making GBS threads on them when i say, "hey, there's something better out there." the cult of ignorance that is the internet would rather assume i'm out to get them instead of just having standards. just like i expect somebody to say "u mad" or the equivalent any second now because i called somebody out on their bullshit.

I don't think you're making GBS threads on me, or out to get me, Broken Loose. Not at all, we haven't argued in a long time.

But this immediate jump to call me part of the ignorance that is the internet just because I suggest you deserve a game by Steve Jackson, just reinforces that you really need to be in that infinite loop and unable to get unreasonably angry at people.

I'm just having a joke, don't get so angry. (I wouldn't really wish infinite Munchkin on anyone.)

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 1, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Argent sounds really good. Haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Did anyone try it with a group who are fans of Harry Potter? Did it go down well, or miss the mark with those guys? My wife and daughter are HP nuts, but the art style seems really opposed to Harry Potter's English charm, and I am not totally sure they could get on board.

Rent before you buy would be good with this one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Countblanc posted:

remidner that TTS, for the vast majority of modules, is just straight up piracy

Right, but not one person who has ever thought that is not a dick.

TTS is piracy in the same way listening to your favorite music recorded from the radio onto crappy cassettes in the 80s was piracy. It's unsatisfying, hurts your head after extended play, and makes you wish you had the real thing. No-one over about 19 who truly likes the game and can reasonably afford it while still feeding their family will take the copy over the original.

(I imagine it's a great way to allow people to get a feel for your game before going and buying it, though)