Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I'm hosting a board game night with the family on Friday, and there looks to be around 9 people coming. None of them are play board games, and I'm trying to come up with ideas on what to play. I'm trying to avoid splitting into two groups, because I'd likely end up just being the rules ref for both games.

I already own Dixit: Odyssey, Shadow Hunters, The Resistance (but not Avalon), Wits and Wagers, and I've got a PnP copy of Two Rooms and a Boom (made the cards myself because the official PnP ones are terrible and all the pdfs on BGG are ugly). I also own 7 Wonders and Formula D, but I think 7 Wonders would be a bit too dense for the table, and Formula D never struck me as too much fun.

Any ideas? Panic on Wall Street looked interesting, and the werewolf games looked good but I can't find a copy of One Night Ultimate Werewolf anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

OmegaGoo posted:

Got to play Roll for the Galaxy today. It was a decent game; I think I prefer Race.

Comparatively, Settle strategies are much stronger in Roll, while Produce/Consume is much better in Race. Roll has some really ingenious uses for dice, though, and I'm very glad I got to play it.

Ordered my copy of Roll earlier today, should be here on Friday. Haven't played either it or Race before, but after watching a playthrough of it, it looks to be a damned fun game.

In the same order, I snagged Cosmic Encounter. I'm hoping to bust it out at a family game night on Friday but, like Roll for the Galaxy, I haven't played it before. Does it play well with people who are, at most, moderately experienced with board games? It seems like it should be with the minimal amount of hidden information (you have your hand of cards, but everything else is visible to all players), and the importance of interacting with other players in forming alliances.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Gimnbo posted:

[...]It should be fine for family game night.

Zombie #246 posted:

[...]ends up being a very long and very boring/frustrating experience[...]

Hmm, I'll still give it a shot, hoping that the social aspects of the game carry it. If not, last family board game night was pretty successful with Concept, Skull, and Wits and Wagers.

Also, my fairly regular board game crew is kind of tiring of the high-skill, thinking-on-my-turn-for-5-minutes, type of games. We've done our Agricolas, our Mage Knights, our Terra Mysticas. We are more and more frequently pulling out games like Shadow Hunters where strategy takes a backseat to loud accusations and alliances based on nothing. And drinks. Cosmic Encounter might find a home there.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm going to a cabin over labor day weekend with a bunch of friends to get drunk and play games and hike. I have Avalon, Dixit and Love Letter already, but what are some other good easy, quick games that play well with large groups and some non gamers? Two Rooms and a Boom sounds cool but doesn't seem to be out yet? I thought I heard about it being fun like a year or two ago... Coup looks like a pretty safe bet. Preferably something readily available on Amazon I don't really want to worry about CSI shipping out to me on time.

TIA.

See above, but another vote for Skull. Have yet to play a game of it that wasn't a blast.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Question about Suburbia. Love the game to the point where I put together a foamcore insert for it, but I've come across the same issue every single time I've played it. With your income starting so low, it seems like in order to even have a chance at winning, you absolutely have to increase your income as early as possible. I've found that if you don't raise your income immediately, you essentially can't do anything for several turns, and wind up losing the game right off the bat. Am I missing some alternate strategy, or does an expansion offer players an addition way of making money early game?

Also, pictures of the insert cause I really like how it turned out.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Picked up Codenames from my FLGS last night, played 4 rounds of it back-to-back with 7 people, and everyone had a blast.

Best part of the evening was when one of the spymasters said "Tennis, 2" thinking that his team would obviously choose "ball" and "court". It was his teams first turn, and he didn't read all the other cards that were down, including about half a dozen other cards like "score", "match", and "net". Most of which actually ended up being agents for his team anyway, but of course his team chose the one card among them that was on the other team right off that bat.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
My copy of Epic Card Game showed up today. Played only once, but I felt extremely unimpressed. Their kickstarter led me to think it was going to be a faster-paced, mana-free version of Magic, but you could feel the gears of the game's state machine slowly churning on each turn.

Unlike Magic where Instants can be thrown down at just about any time by any player, Epic has different phases inside each round where either the player-whose-turn-it-is gets to plays cards or the other players gets to. We wound up repeating "I don't do anything" so many times, because we just needed to progress the game's state.

This was pretty much every round.

:v: I'll draw, and I'm playing this Event. I'm attacking with this guy, and I'm not doing anything else.
:j: I don't do anything. But I am declaring this guy as a blocker.
:v: I don't do anything.
:j: I don't do anything.
:v: Okay combat damage is dealt. I don't do anything. That's end of my turn.
:j: I'll play this Event.
:v: Alright, I don't do anything. That's (still) the end of my turn.
:j: I don't do anything. Now it's actually the end of your turn?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I haven't seen much talk on A Feast for Odin recently. Is that because it's already fallen out of favor, it's really niche, or because nobody actually owns a copy?

I picked it up over the weekend, and it's absolutely a blast. With three players, I came in dead last on my first game, and immediately wanted to play again to try a new strategy. I've gotten up to 102 points with an emigration/overseas trading strategy, and want to try farming/tons of long houses strategy for my next game to see how well that works. Probably not very well, but those resources have been heavily underutilized in each playthrough so far.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Lord Frisk posted:

When does the reprint KS go live anyway?

April 4 at noon EST

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1753310/official-kickstarter-date-announcement

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eminent Domain is another good one, although I recommend getting the Escalation expansion right away. It's a combo of deck building and role following (similar to mechanism to Glory to Rome or to a lesser extent Race/Roll).

I got Eminent Domain quite a while ago on a whim. As soon I got to the portion of the rules that said something like "When you Research, choose any one of the 40 available tech and add it to your deck," I put it back in the box and onto my shelf where it's sat to this day. I still haven't played it, because that just sounds like Analysis Paralysis: The Game.

Is it not as bad as I've thought? I even picked up the Escalation and Exotica expansions because they were on sale, so I can bring those out ASAP. But if I'm looking for a space-themed deck/tableau builder, I glance at Eminent Domain, and then inevitably grab Roll for the Galaxy instead (still haven't tried Race for the Galaxy, but it's on my list). Is my AP-fear unfounded for Eminent Domain? Does the game actually grind to a halt as much as I fear when someone researches a tech?

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Rad Valtar posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on One Deck Dungeon?

I've been having a blast with 2-player One Deck Dungeon, but when I tried it solo I thought it was pretty bad. Since your character will have some form of weakness (high strength but low magic, or high magic but low agility, etc.), you really need another character to balance it out. When playing solo, I wound up getting screwed by my weakness and dying, no matter which character I tried or how I built my character.

However, 2-player has been great. Since you can support each other's weaknesses, the game is a lot more forgiving. But you still need to carefully weigh your loot options (when you kill a monster you choose either XP, and item, or a skill. But you can only pick one), and judge the risk of delving just one more door into the dungeon for that last piece of loot before a boss. Sometimes your luck turns sour and you wind up with terrible rolls against some paltry monster, but there's usually a clever way past the monster/trap if you can figure out the correct order to trigger all your abilities/rerolls/modifiers/consumables. Every monster becomes a cool little puzzle for you to figure out.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Bottom Liner posted:

CSI has the Gloomhaven stickers in stock if anyone was looking for them.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/241702

Would anyone recommend the removable stickers? My copy of Gloomhaven finally showed up, I haven't started playing it, and I don't know if I'll ever want to reset the game at any point.

I recently played through Pandemic Legacy, and loved placing stickers all over the board. However, that game is cheap enough that if I ever want to run through it again, I have no issues with picking up another copy. Plus, it's broadly available (I know Gloomhaven will be seeing a retail release at some point, though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I have no intention of ever selling the game (hell, I still have my copies of Munchkin and Zombies!!! that I keep around as a reminder to practice self-control), and I don't plan on running multiple simultaneous campaigns with the same box.

Sounds like the removable stickers aren't for me, especially if there are other ways of handling it (removing the regular stickers, using markers, etc).